Author Topic: Need help for a new PC  (Read 4304 times)

Offline JackieChan

• Marshall
  • Renown: 851
  • Infamy: 118
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Crève salope / Master of left spam
    • View Profile
    • CRPG PATCH!
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_BD_JackieChan
  • IRC nick: JackieChan
Need help for a new PC
« on: August 20, 2013, 08:47:09 pm »
+4
So yeah, im moving to a new apartement this september and i need a new computer. Since im limited in my budget (around 600 Euros), ill have to settle with a desktop. Im going to use the computer mainly for gaming and in my studies (computer graphics).

I see two possibilites for me, either:

I buy an already built computer, it cost more, but i am sure i have every thing i need. (like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1RKlaSOrFk)

Or i build one myself, with the risk of screwing up.

Please advise me
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 Wهاهاهاهاهاهاهاهاهاه

Offline Bjord

• Amateur heretic
  • King
  • Renown: 1328
  • Infamy: 1109
  • salty turks
    • View Profile
Re: Need help for a new PC
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 09:01:09 pm »
When you stare into the abyss, the abyss stares back.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 09:02:40 pm »
+1
Build one yourself! If you aren't 100% sure on how to do so, have someone help you who has done it before (also the internet is a great resource).

Really there's only one major thing to overcome, getting the motherboard properly seated and installed in the case.  After that it's pretty damn easy to seat the processor/heatsink, memory, mount the power supply and plug in the cords, hard drive/cd/dvd, etc. 

I had replaced all the components of a computer before my first build, but I never had installed a motherboard.  I figured it couldn't be that hard, but I screwed up the first time I built mine.  On the case I had to screw in "female" receivers (where male screws come through the motherboard and into these receivers), but instead of only putting one on the case where it would be screwed in through the motherboard, I put them in every possible space on the case.  So it was shorting out my motherboard when I powered it up. 

Only other thing you need to think about, is software.  Do you have operating system software already (with a license) or can get your hands on some?  If you can't, it may make more sense to buy a computer that's already Windows licensed.

I'd honestly recommend building your own, you're going to get much better hardware than you would otherwise, and pay a lot less for it. Alternatively, you could probably hire someone to build it for less than $100 (not sure what it would be in Euro). 
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Vermilion

• Count
  • Renown: 208
  • Infamy: 64
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Vermilion
  • IRC nick: Vermilion
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 09:09:37 pm »
+1
My advice -

If you haven't built a computer before and you need it for your education... You're probably better off buying a pre-built unit which comes from a reputable company with a decent warranty.

Just check every component (quite often they use a crap PSU)

That way if you have any issues it can get fixed quickly and not disrupt your education.

If you have built a computer before (or have the confidence to do it), I would do this. Focus your budget on buying a decent motherboard, CPU, PSU & graphics card.... You can upgrade case, monitor, RAM, CPU heatsink/fan etc later.

Offline JackieChan

• Marshall
    • View Profile
    • CRPG PATCH!
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 09:15:36 pm »
+2
Ok.

1. Get a gun
2. Shoot yourself
Why dont you do that yourself you fucking douchbag?

(click to show/hide)
Im probably going to get a pirated Win7. For the mother board and other component, i hope there are couple  of guides on how to build them in on internet

(click to show/hide)
I got couple of friends who could help me build the computer, i guess im going to do that

Is there any specific specs you guys would recommend?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 09:29:01 pm by JackieChan »
 Wهاهاهاهاهاهاهاهاهاه

Offline Torben

• King
  • Renown: 2011
  • Infamy: 352
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • still prepare to get sexed
    • View Profile
  • Faction: by my overly nerfed heavy lance.
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2013, 09:21:13 pm »
+1
hm,  if you have the possibility invest the time you would spend on building and finetuning a rig into a weekends job,  make 200 extra bucks and get a decent prebuilt one : )
Yes, I know from whence I came! Discontented as a flame, Upon myself I live and glow. All I grasp like lightning flashes, All I leave behind is ashes
Flame I am - that much I know!

Offline JackieChan

• Marshall
    • View Profile
    • CRPG PATCH!
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2013, 09:25:04 pm »
hm,  if you have the possibility invest the time you would spend on building and finetuning a rig into a weekends job,  make 200 bucks and get a decent prebuilt one : )
Well i got the most of the 600 euros by working already ^^
I kinda need the computer for september, I dont think im ready to wait couple of weeks/days in my apartement without one :x

Will it take long to build a comp myself?
 Wهاهاهاهاهاهاهاهاهاه

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2013, 09:26:57 pm »
+3
No specific specs other than just general advice:

I think AMD processors are better bang for your buck.  Intel is the superior processor (for example comparing a quad core 3.2ghz intel vs amd, intel is going to be "25%" better) but you could then buy an AMD processor that is 25% more powerful than the 3.2ghz model, and you'd still be saving a lot of money compared to going with the 3.2ghz intel proc.  Just pulling these numbers out of my ass to give an example.

I'm on my 2nd build for myself and my bro (so 4 computers spanning 2 generations) that have been running AMD processors. 

On that note however, I had terrible success with AMD (was ATI before AMD took over) Radeon video cards.  I had a slightly more powerful card than my bro's Nvidia, but after a few years of running these cards, I was unable to play any newer games that were coming out due to AMD only offering a legacy driver for my gfx card, and most of the newer games would show massive black lines throughout the game (due to driver incompatibility issues).  That really pissed me off that I had a better graphics card than my bro, but he was still able to keep using his long after I had to upgrade mine (due to artificial reasons, nothing physically wrong with the card). 

It shouldn't take you more than an hour to put the computer together if you're being careful...certainly less than 2 hours even if you were being extremely tedious.  And about another hour to install Windows and download all the other crap you need (anti-virus, adobe flash/shockwave/reader, java, quick time, etc).

If you can, use your friends (or one of them) to help you put your computer together.  Would probably be a good idea to have them help you spec out the parts for it as well.  if you can't have your friend help you, than I would certainly watch some videos online about putting a computer together.  I know Newegg.com (probably not what you want to use outside the USA) has a good section on building your own PC.

The biggest thing to remember when ordering is to make sure everything is compatible with the motherboard.  Make sure the CPU is compatible as well as the memory.  make sure you have enough memory slots so you can expand in the future (I'd recommend 4 memory slots).  Also decide if you need USB 3.0 compatibility or not (will increase the price, but if you have something that uses USB 3.0 it's well worth the money due to the higher transfer speeds).  Do you need two PCI express ports for two video cards?  If you don't ever plan on running 2 video cards, make sure the one you buy only has one (two is going to cost you more).

I love newegg.com, hopefully you have something similar you can use where you're from.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 09:32:15 pm by CrazyCracka420 »
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2013, 09:30:59 pm »
+1
Sur materiel.net tu peux choisir les parts toi-meme et demander que eux le montent.

Offline Torben

• King
  • Renown: 2011
  • Infamy: 352
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • still prepare to get sexed
    • View Profile
  • Faction: by my overly nerfed heavy lance.
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2013, 09:34:34 pm »
+1
Sur materiel.net tu peux choisir les parts toi-meme et demander que eux le montent.

ye but isnt part of the magic to use components that work well together?  or does every shit work great together these days?  I really am totally out of date so maybe ignore me ^^

ps:  yeah amd ftw!
Yes, I know from whence I came! Discontented as a flame, Upon myself I live and glow. All I grasp like lightning flashes, All I leave behind is ashes
Flame I am - that much I know!

Offline Herkkutatti666

• Duke
  • Renown: 585
  • Infamy: 285
  • cRPG Player
  • Rips pärs
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2013, 09:46:28 pm »
Ok.

1. Get a gun
2. Shoot yourself
pretty much this. (also suggesting that bjord does this too)

Offline Bjord

• Amateur heretic
  • King
  • Renown: 1328
  • Infamy: 1109
  • salty turks
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2013, 09:50:50 pm »
pretty much this. (also suggesting that bjord does this too)

ladies first (you)
When you stare into the abyss, the abyss stares back.

Offline Vermilion

• Count
  • Renown: 208
  • Infamy: 64
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Vermilion
  • IRC nick: Vermilion
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2013, 10:02:51 pm »
+2
Is there any specific specs you guys would recommend?

The eternal debate..

Everyone has the own preference in manufacture/spec.

Make sure you read reviews and check against other products of sites such as cpubenchmark.net

Watch some youtube videos on building your own computer (check for the manufactures page, don't watch some random 12 year old hit his computer with hammer)

(click to show/hide)

Offline Clockworkkiller

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 872
  • Infamy: 573
  • cRPG Player
  • I shit dopamine
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Clockworkkiller
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2013, 10:04:15 pm »
+4
always build it yourself!

its cheaper, you can build a rig thats more powerful than many pre-built ones at a lower price.
and you get to learn somethings about PCs
installing the components is easy, just follow the directions on how to install them
(if they come with directions, if not, lots of guides on the internet)
and make sure you dont let static buildup, dont work on carpets, and regularly touch the metal case when building

or, you could just upgrade the parts from your current pc, keep the case, fans, and whatever other components you think are good, and upgrade the rest

when i built my first pc, i was scared too, but once when you install the first part, you get over it quickly and acutally start to enjoy it.
You are a horrible human being clockwork.

If i ever get muted on forums, contact me on crpg.net

Offline JackieChan

• Marshall
    • View Profile
    • CRPG PATCH!