Author Topic: Any tricks to making Crossbow Bolts in air more visible?  (Read 1840 times)

Offline Sir_Hans

• Earl
  • Renown: 477
  • Infamy: 84
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Beached_Dolphin, Sir_Hans
Any tricks to making Crossbow Bolts in air more visible?
« on: August 20, 2013, 09:07:22 am »
(click to show/hide)

I've tried both the download and manual method mentioned here... In the "compatible mods" sticky, and I can't notice a difference whatsoever.

Whenever I'm shooting my crossbow over like 75 ft distances, I can't tell whether the bolt flies over the targets head or comes up short, so I have no idea how to adjust my shots. It makes it borderline impossible for me to snipe, unless I get extremely lucky just shooting in the general direction and aiming my arcs randomly.  :?
Also, while I do use heirloom pack, I don't have loomed bolts so no help there either, with the different models.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.  :mrgreen:

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline Jarold

• Marshall
  • Renown: 987
  • Infamy: 142
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • "Always wear more armor than the guy next to you."
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarold
Re: Any tricks to making Crossbow Bolts in air more visible?
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 08:21:20 pm »
Does cRPG use finalboss_bolts, finalboss_arrows, and finalboss_bows by default? If so I can just change those files for you and get the native flying arrows if there's no other solution.

EDIT : Oh you use the heirloom pack that makes it easier. I'll post something soon.

Offline Sir_Hans

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 08:37:25 pm »
I have modified all "flying_bolts" to "flying_missile" in itemkinds1.txt (This was the manual fix I tried, mentioned in the quote spoiler from my first post.)

I notice absolutely no difference whatsoever.

Here is a fraps I just took of me shooting with a white snowy background. After I double checked itemkinds1.txt to make sure all "flying_bolts" entries were changed to "flying_missile".

I suggest you turn quality to max and go full screen to see what I'm seeing when I shoot.

Does cRPG use finalboss_bolts, finalboss_arrows, and finalboss_bows by default? If so I can just change those files for you and get the native flying arrows if there's no other solution.

EDIT : Oh you use the heirloom pack that makes it easier. I'll post something soon.

For me, currently I haven't re-installed the heirloom pack after last patch, so it isn't activated right now. But activating it would just take a few minutes if I needed to. Willing to try anything, thanks!

Offline Nightingale

• Balancer
  • Renown: 925
  • Infamy: 205
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Elderly Woman
  • IRC nick: Nightingale
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 10:15:12 pm »
+1
Thats because you edited the file incorrectly.

When you search the file Itemkinds1 Search "bolts_flying" You should find... something like "bolts_flying_1h" (I am guessing) highlight all of that including the _1h and change it to "flying_missile"

anything connected to "bolts_flying" needs to be changed as well- "steel_bolts_flying_1h"  to just "flying_missile".

(click to show/hide)

If that still doesn't help you... you can contact a cheater and have them explain how to change the texture colors to neon pink and such stuff, pretty lame if you ask me... but then again some people need more of a handicap than others.

Hope this helps!

~ Desire

Edit- If you install Heirloom retextures over your saved Itemkinds you will have to redo the steps again. so install Heirloom pack first, then edit.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 10:23:18 pm by Nightingale »

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2013, 10:22:04 pm »
+6
Yeah there's people out there who change certain weapons or projectiles to neon pink/orange/yellow/green so it's easy to see on the battlefield.  I think it's lame and borderline cheating, but to each their own.

There's also a way for people to make it so bushes and things like that are flat on the ground.  Blatant cheating in my mind, but no way to detect it.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Nightingale

• Balancer
  • Renown: 925
  • Infamy: 205
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Elderly Woman
  • IRC nick: Nightingale
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2013, 10:29:08 pm »
+3
Yeah there's people out there who change certain weapons or projectiles to neon pink/orange/yellow/green so it's easy to see on the battlefield.  I think it's lame and borderline cheating, but to each their own.

There's also a way for people to make it so bushes and things like that are flat on the ground.  Blatant cheating in my mind, but no way to detect it.

They can also make trees, and buildings transparent, I wish there was a way to detect and ban people that do this.

Offline Sir_Hans

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2013, 11:06:47 pm »
Thats because you edited the file incorrectly.

When you search the file Itemkinds1 Search "bolts_flying" You should find... something like "bolts_flying_1h" (I am guessing) highlight all of that including the _1h and change it to "flying_missile"

anything connected to "bolts_flying" needs to be changed as well- "steel_bolts_flying_1h"  to just "flying_missile".

This is what I did when editing itemkinds1.txt.

Changed all of "bolts_flying_1h" for example to just "flying_missile". I did not just edit the part which said "bolts_flying" while leaving "_1h" or similar text parts.

I used ctrl-f to find anything with "bolts_flying" and changed the entire entries including any connected subtext/pretext like "steel_" or "_1h" to simply "flying_missile".

Here I'll copy and paste some of the entries in my itemkinds1.txt to show you how they look, after my editing.
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 11:24:34 pm by Sir_Hans »

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2013, 11:12:00 pm »
+2
They can also make trees, and buildings transparent, I wish there was a way to detect and ban people that do this.

Didn't realize that, but I should have.  I know there's some people who are going to get every advantage possible, but I hope most people don't have any want to do this.  Would be nice to detect this client side setting change, I figured it'd be possible with WSE2.
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Hirlok

• Duke
  • Renown: 624
  • Infamy: 122
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • A friendly archer decorating your ass with arrows
    • View Profile
    • Gab.ai. Freedom of Speech matters.
  • Faction: Always Take The Shot
  • Game nicks: None that you need to know of - except Hirlok the Hermit.
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2013, 12:11:23 am »
+2
shoot dem texture cheaters in da butt!

regarding OP:
as an archer I have pretty much the same problem, my mw bodkins have nice red feathers thanks to heirlook pack, I still do not see them fly.

Actually I see this as a tiny bit of added realism to an otherwise LOLstabbingly unrealistic game.

On battle maps (I play battle only sometimes) I am still in the process, but for siege I have memorized many standard distances.

Do it like the archers in old times did as well (watch kingdom of heavens again, they do it before the Jerusalem siege) - zero in and memorise a few spots and the right curve to hit that spot. then you can interpolate pretty much everything between those known spots.

If there are none, abuse a stationary stray horse (NOT the donkeys!!!) or anything else that does not move much and gives that beloved "thump" when your guesswork was right...
Hermit Status report : feeling a little social. Threatening melee my old friends with a comeback. Greasing the string of his old longbow. Carving certain names into the tips of his arrows...

Offline HappyPhantom

• Earl
  • Renown: 440
  • Infamy: 74
  • cRPG Player
  • Pew pew, your face!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Dracul, Always Take the Shot.
  • Game nicks: HappyPhantom, Marys of the Sea, Ancient of Mu Mu.
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2013, 02:06:12 am »

How the frack? I've tried a million things to get that to work and can't! lol.
"Darklands" - The greatest game you never played: now on Steam http://store.steampowered.com/app/327930 | http://www.darklands.net/index.shtml

Offline Molly

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2013, 08:55:22 am »
Well, all I can say is that you did something wrong cuz I used my own Guide yesterday evening and it worked like a charm. Good old brown laser...

And yes, I do use the heirloom package.

Offline Sir_Hans

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2013, 09:51:25 am »
Do you run WSE2?

Maybe that's the problem, because I don't run c-rpg with WSE2...?

Gonna re install the heirloom pack, see if that makes any difference.

Offline Molly

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2013, 11:23:45 am »
Do you run WSE2?

Maybe that's the problem, because I don't run c-rpg with WSE2...?

Gonna re install the heirloom pack, see if that makes any difference.
The heirloom pack replaces the itemkind1.txt, so does every patch.

And yes, I do run WSE2.

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2013, 11:10:09 pm »
Could you replace the bolt texture with say a donkey just by editing this text file? I'm not sure I could resist launching donkeys at people...