Poll

What do you think?

Approved
Not Approved
Approved With Variations (see my reply)

Author Topic: Give light cavalry a purpose on the battlefield!  (Read 2722 times)

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
Re: Give light cavalry a purpose on the battlefield!
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2013, 07:15:43 pm »
+1
I honestly like both suggestions phew.  I think it's realistic and would add some more cavalry balance to the game. 

Would be nice if they also made it so you can dismount a horse without having to rear the horse (or come to a complete stop), but I doubt that will ever happen (I know I created at least one thread and suggested it)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2013, 07:22:21 pm »
+1
Would be nice if they also made it so you can dismount a horse without having to rear the horse (or come to a complete stop), but I doubt that will ever happen (I know I created at least one thread and suggested it)

Weapons like the Bill Hook were used specifically for de-horsing riders. It would be very cool if this class of weapons were added (poor damage/speed, but has a chance to de-horse).

Offline AntiBlitz

• Duke
  • Renown: 636
  • Infamy: 187
  • cRPG Player
  • American Scum
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2013, 02:09:15 am »
http://forum.meleegaming.com/suggestions-corner/riding-speed-modified-by-gear-weight/

saw this while scanning through the suggestions, your not the only person who has thought about a weight based system of some sort.

Offline Legs

• Marshall
  • Renown: 819
  • Infamy: 88
  • cRPG Player
  • Loco Motive
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Arms, Legs
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2013, 03:31:23 am »
+1
Legs are used for standing, walking, jumping, running, kicking, and similar activities.

Offline Tydeus

• King
  • Renown: 1422
  • Infamy: 351
  • Item re-unbalance guy
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tydeus
  • IRC nick: Tydeus
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2013, 05:02:07 am »
+1
There's actually a decent amount of data on this subject if you care to do the research, what antiblitz quoted shows nothing other than an arbitrary weight limit. Just about every horse (Particularly ones that were used in war during the medieval ages), would be almost completely unaffected by the additional weight we're talking about here. I say almost, because it would have an affect over a long distance run, but nothing for like what we see in cRPG. The Item Balance team discussed this about a year ago, it's unrealistic and not a very good means to an end. The problem is Warband and how it ties too many features to the horse maneuver stat.
chadz> i wouldnt mind seeing some penis on my character

Offline AntiBlitz

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
  • American Scum
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2013, 06:19:20 am »
There's actually a decent amount of data on this subject if you care to do the research, what antiblitz quoted shows nothing other than an arbitrary weight limit. Just about every horse (Particularly ones that were used in war during the medieval ages), would be almost completely unaffected by the additional weight we're talking about here. I say almost, because it would have an affect over a long distance run, but nothing for like what we see in cRPG. The Item Balance team discussed this about a year ago, it's unrealistic and not a very good means to an end. The problem is Warband and how it ties too many features to the horse maneuver stat.

I just figured at this point that every bit of weight counts, even though these are not medieval race horses, even an extra bit of weight added to anything will make it slower in a head to head race if the two horses were exactly the same.  Its the reason people strip out things like carpets, passenger seats, spare tires, headliner, all the plastic dash trim, etc in a car to go that much quicker in a race.  the fact that you shed even 50lbs will help you go faster.  This would correlate to a horse as well, or even yourself if you decided to run with a 10lb rock strapped to your back vs not.  I cant see these horses being able to accelerate to a top speed and maintain that while under excessive load(250lbs rider) vs not(150lbs rider) and somehow be quicker, or just as fast.  This is why i linked something like Jockey horse racing, in that every pound counts, just like i would assume it would in auto racing, human racing, and every other race of a critter.

Offline AntiBlitz

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
  • American Scum
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2013, 06:38:28 am »
so after doing some research i have found that a horse can carry approximately 29% of its body weight, so suggesting a destrier weighed around 1,000lbs(just to make it easier or my math skills), that would suggest a weight of about 290lbs or so, give or take the horses weight.  Draught horses werent used for war, so we cant really say much about a 1.5 ton horse.  And according to what i saw when i googled barding on horses, it weighs about say 70lbs on the heavy side.  So saying our rider is 150lbs(with 70lbs of armor on) id say these horses were pretty much maxed out or near close to it.  I still do believe though, that every bit of weight would count on helping these horses move quicker, seeing as they were near maxed out on their weight limits as is.

Offline Tydeus

• King
  • Renown: 1422
  • Infamy: 351
  • Item re-unbalance guy
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tydeus
  • IRC nick: Tydeus
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2013, 07:40:00 am »
+1
Realistically, what you'd be looking at is a difference of ~20 lbs (at max, and I can't help from feeling that this is rather generous) from the heavier to the more common loadouts for riders. For a 1300 lb destrier, thats not even 2% of its body weight. As I said before, you'll see an impact in endurance, not its max speed or acceleration. The only reason we can even have this conversation, is because armor weight in cRPG is unrealistic. So I'm not sure if that's where you're getting 70 lbs in armor, but that's nearly double what it would actually weigh.

Edit: As Jarold stated on the first page, the only horses that would be penalized by this, would be ones where it doesn't make sense to be using full plate armor to begin with.

Need a moderator to move this thread to the realism discussion section.
chadz> i wouldnt mind seeing some penis on my character

Offline AntiBlitz

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
  • American Scum
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2013, 07:44:57 am »
Realistically, what you'd be looking at is a difference of ~20 lbs (at max, and I can't help from feeling that this is rather generous) from the heavier to the more common loadouts for riders. For a 1300 lb destrier, thats not even 2% of its body weight. As I said before, you'll see an impact in endurance, not its max speed or acceleration. The only reason we can even have this conversation, is because armor weight in cRPG is unrealistic. So I'm not sure if that's where you're getting 70 lbs in armor, but that's nearly double what it would actually weigh.

Edit: As Jarold stated on the first page, the only horses that would be penalized by this, would be ones where it doesn't make sense to be using full plate armor to begin with.

Need a moderator to move this thread to the realism discussion section.

i had to guess on what plate armor weighed as well as the gear included, and estimated 70lbs, im sure i was off, however i couldnt find anything on the weight of plate, as alot of what i saw referred to stuff you saw in the later ages, which would have made armor lighter and thinner, though just as strong.

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2013, 08:26:40 am »
+3
Armor didn't get thinner. It got thicker to be able to defeat firearms (at least at long distance).

There won't be a cav slowdown for heavy armor in cRPG. If we could influence leaning distance on horseback I'd give an advantage to light cav here.  But we can't. If we had a dynamic mount/dismount system I'd give something to less armored people too. But we don't have that. WSE stuff, i.e. will never happen.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 08:32:56 am by Paul »

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2013, 11:48:14 am »
Being 2% lighter isn't going to make a huge difference for a race car outside of braking either.

Offline AntiBlitz

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
  • American Scum
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2013, 04:29:57 pm »
Being 2% lighter isn't going to make a huge difference for a race car outside of braking either.

Races cars, yes it does. 

Drag racing every millisecond counts, and weight reduction is everything.

unsprung weight = 100LBS = 0.1 in the 1/4 = ~ 10hp.

THE MOAR YOU KNOW!!!!!!

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2013, 04:51:49 pm »
That's a vehicle, not a horse.  Just sayin :P
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Bulzur

• Earl
  • Renown: 465
  • Infamy: 102
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild.
  • Game nicks: Guard_Bulzur
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2013, 10:09:50 pm »
i had to guess on what plate armor weighed as well as the gear included, and estimated 70lbs, im sure i was off, however i couldnt find anything on the weight of plate, as alot of what i saw referred to stuff you saw in the later ages, which would have made armor lighter and thinner, though just as strong.

Antiblitz : Calling people stupid after just one post, then admitting that he's been guessing things all along.
Still in denial after facing hard true facts.
And now, after going from horses to cars in this "realism" thread, prepare for the "tank" version.
What a true internet person.^^

To Phew : i like the idea of an horse weight stat (including armor).
Anyway, as Paul said, WSE stuff, it won't ever happen. Too bad. Better lock the subject. :(
[14:36] <@chadz> when you login there is a message "your life as horse archer was too depressing for you. you decided to commit suicide. please create a new char"
[19:32] <@chadz> if(dave_ukr_is_in_server) then rain_chance = 98%;

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2013, 10:41:49 pm »
+1
Races cars, yes it does. 

Drag racing every millisecond counts, and weight reduction is everything.

unsprung weight = 100LBS = 0.1 in the 1/4 = ~ 10hp.

THE MOAR YOU KNOW!!!!!!

What about actual racing ?

With a track and stuff