Author Topic: 0.3.0.4  (Read 38073 times)

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
Re: 0.3.0.4
« Reply #210 on: August 28, 2013, 03:22:36 pm »
+2
I tried telling you before Mae, it has always done this. Getting shot from point blank range means you're taking the full damage that the crossbow can dish out.

The code seems to imply that any ranged weapon can penetrate a shield, but I've only ever seen bolts do it. A +3 Throwing Lance with 11 Power Throw has like 134 raw damage; way more than a +3 bolt fired from a +3 arablest.

It's a shame that shield skill has no effect on bolt penetration. There are lots of shields that are totally unused because their armor is too low to stop bolts. A guy with a heavy round shield and 13 shield skill takes as much damage from the bolt as the guy with 4 shield skill.

Offline Huscarlton_Banks

• Earl
  • Renown: 404
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
  • Blatant nudge spammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: August 28, 2013, 05:02:54 pm »
Only missiles with itp_can_penetrate_shield can pierce shields, and only bolts seem to have this flag in c-rpg.

Offline Phew

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: August 28, 2013, 05:13:30 pm »
I noticed that the new ballistae appear to not penetrate shields, nor do they seem to have "bonus vs. shield". Not complaining, but it's funny that a Hunting Crossbow can penetrate some low-armor shields, but a ballista can't.

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #213 on: August 28, 2013, 07:13:30 pm »
I noticed that the new ballistae appear to not penetrate shields, nor do they seem to have "bonus vs. shield". Not complaining, but it's funny that a Hunting Crossbow can penetrate some low-armor shields, but a ballista can't.
I shot a guy with a shield with a ballista once, and he survived. It wen through a plated guy, then his shield and then him (he was in trans or something).

He took damage, but he didn't die from it.
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #214 on: August 28, 2013, 07:55:04 pm »
Ballista has a seperate shield penetration handling, independent from the Native one.

Offline Phew

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: August 28, 2013, 07:58:55 pm »
Ballista has a seperate shield penetration handling, independent from the Native one.

Thanks Paul. What shield armor value is necessary to prevent ballista penetration?

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: August 28, 2013, 08:27:27 pm »
Hmm, I think I was wrong. There is a seperate shield hit handling which seems to modify the damage of the projectile but the penetration itself seems to be done by the Native mechanic. Ozin's work. Ballista projectiles have the itp_can_penetrate_shield flag.

Offline Phew

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: August 28, 2013, 08:46:06 pm »
Hmm, I think I was wrong. There is a seperate shield hit handling which seems to modify the damage of the projectile but the penetration itself seems to be done by the Native mechanic. Ozin's work. Ballista projectiles have the itp_can_penetrate_shield flag.

Would it be possible to modify that shield penetration formula to include a modifier based on shield skill (maybe based on skill above the shield's requirement)? Or is that a WSE thing?

It's a shame that all of the low-armor shields are mostly ignored because bolts penetrate them so easily.

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: August 28, 2013, 09:03:17 pm »
WSE thing.

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #219 on: August 28, 2013, 09:28:21 pm »
+2
Why do we have shield penetration anyway?

You use skillpoints and pay upkeep, limit your available weapons and get extra weight; all for an item to stop projectiles, yet they can STILL go through?

Most of the shields that can be penetrated are destroyed in 3-5 bolts anyway, why not just remove this? They can always do like archers&throwers and just shoot around the shield instead.
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline Grumbs

• طالبان
  • King
  • Renown: 1170
  • Infamy: 617
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: August 28, 2013, 09:49:00 pm »
TBH the last person to give crushthrough to is xbows that just point and click on slow moving targets
If you have ranged troubles use this:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Huscarlton_Banks

• Earl
  • Renown: 404
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
  • Blatant nudge spammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: August 28, 2013, 11:14:03 pm »
To be honest, I think shield penetration only makes sense if the missile is only able to penetrate enough to hit the arm holding the shield, and only if you hit the right spots, but I don't think it's doable with the module system.

It'd also make sense if throwing spears/jarids/throwing lances could hit the shielding arm with weaker shields as well, but that's opening up another can of worms.

At least the damage is greatly reduced whenever a missile goes through a shield.

Offline Macropus

• King
  • Renown: 1668
  • Infamy: 296
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Macropus
« Reply #222 on: August 28, 2013, 11:50:16 pm »
+4
I think the only case when projectiles should penertate shield is when, for example, shield has 50 hp left and it gets hit with 60 damage, so shield breaks and 10 damage goes to player.
Just something like that maybe.

Offline Tydeus

• King
  • Renown: 1422
  • Infamy: 351
  • Item re-unbalance guy
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tydeus
  • IRC nick: Tydeus
« Reply #223 on: August 29, 2013, 07:53:03 am »
+4
To be honest, I think shield penetration only makes sense if the missile is only able to penetrate enough to hit the arm holding the shield, and only if you hit the right spots, but I don't think it's doable with the module system.

It'd also make sense if throwing spears/jarids/throwing lances could hit the shielding arm with weaker shields as well, but that's opening up another can of worms.

At least the damage is greatly reduced whenever a missile goes through a shield.
What I'd really like to see in this area, is the shield becoming more cumbersome when certain projectiles are stuck in them. Hitting someone's shield with a Throwing Lance should make it pretty damn unwieldy, this was one of the most important uses for these weapons. This would give throwers utility, increasing their effectiveness without increasing damage output.
chadz> i wouldnt mind seeing some penis on my character

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #224 on: August 29, 2013, 09:45:20 am »
What I'd really like to see in this area, is the shield becoming more cumbersome when certain projectiles are stuck in them. Hitting someone's shield with a Throwing Lance should make it pretty damn unwieldy, this was one of the most important uses for these weapons. This would give throwers utility, increasing their effectiveness without increasing damage output.
Basicly means adding the weight of the throwing weapon to the weight of the shield and therefore influencing the shield speed too?

Sounds awesome but is it even doable?

And question is: when the weight of the throwing weapon has such influence, will the added weight also slow down the shielder? Having an influence on his ath/agi-values?
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.