Author Topic: WPF-blocking speed + high ping  (Read 1692 times)

Offline Patoson

• Marshall
  • Renown: 784
  • Infamy: 138
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
WPF-blocking speed + high ping
« on: August 09, 2013, 07:21:52 pm »
+1
Does the increase of WPF let you block faster, as in the last moment / reaction time?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 05:40:50 pm by Patoson »

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
Re: WPF - blocking speed
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 08:55:53 pm »
+1
I don't think so, I think melee weapons block the same regardless of your WPF
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Elindor

• King
  • Renown: 1178
  • Infamy: 158
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Caelitus mihi vires
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Order of the Holy Guard
  • Game nicks: Elindor
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 09:42:30 pm »
+1
This I am not 100% sure on.

Have you looked through the megathread on mechanics?

I am not sure if WPF and/or weapon speed have any influence on your ability to parry faster or slower....it SHOULD, but not sure if it does.
I sometimes feel like it does when I use slower or faster weapons, but this could be placebo.
Elindor, Archon of the Holy Guard
Holy Guard Thread :HERE
Banner Shop : HERE // Map Thread : HERE

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2013, 08:38:40 pm »
+2
I'm not too confident anyone knows for sure. It feels like canceling an attack into a block feels faster for the fast weapons. On my stf 15/24 with 172 wpf in 1h and a 103 speed weapon, it feels as though I can block the instant before it hits me. No clue about the discrepancy between wpf and weapon speed for blocking if it actually does have an effect, too.

Offline Fuma Kotaro

• Marshall
  • Renown: 839
  • Infamy: 220
  • cRPG Player
  • I'm Fubadubbaduma
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Duck
  • Game nicks: Fuma + sth
  • IRC nick: sF_Leonidas
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2013, 12:13:50 pm »
+1
It should be the same I'm leeching playing with my trident and I can block even better with it than with my onehanders (pratice sword/pickaxe/hatchet)

Offline Patoson

• Marshall
    • View Profile
Re: WPF-blocking speed + high ping
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2013, 05:39:01 pm »
Thanks for the replies, but I'd like to know the opinion of players with a high ping (80 or more).

Offline The_Bloody_Nine

• Marshall
  • Renown: 946
  • Infamy: 108
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • "I am still alive"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2013, 01:14:21 pm »
+2
Thanks for the replies, but I'd like to know the opinion of players with a high ping (80 or more).

mh, this is not about opinions, blocking is instant, always. Got nothing to do with weapon speed or wpf or whatever. Don't know where that is written but I am 100% sure, was always like this in Warband and never changed in crpg.

And no elindor, it should not. If blocking would be related to wpf or weapon speed it would totally destroy using different weapons and hybrid builds and nerf slower weapons to hell among other issues.

Offline The_Bloody_Nine

• Marshall
  • Renown: 946
  • Infamy: 108
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • "I am still alive"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2013, 02:06:22 pm »
+1
errm, long voulge is unbalanced which means you can only cancel your attack (=block) very early in the animation. But I know that placebo well, much easier for me to block with a sword in general than with axes and when I first tried to block with a 1h I couldn't block at all...

Offline Patoson

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2013, 04:05:18 pm »
blocking is instant, always
Tell that to every time I want to block a fast attack and the server decides I have to get hit because he has half my ping. QQ!

Seriously now, I guess it's false then. I've been playing with over 160 wpf these days and I really didn't notice any difference.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Strategus Councillor
  • Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2013, 04:19:01 pm »
+1
Having high ping makes it hard to block as quickly as having low ping.  It has nothing to do with WPF, only your latency. 

It also makes it harder to feint to attack or do a hold to block as quickly as if you have low ping.

On NA1 I can do a hold/block/hold/block combo extremely fast.  When I have 150 ping on EU1 I can't do them nearly as fast (feels ridiculously slow). 
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Jarold

• Marshall
  • Renown: 987
  • Infamy: 142
  • "Always wear more armor than the guy next to you."
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarold
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2013, 04:43:44 pm »
+2
I think weight and length is a factor in block speed, like blocking with a pike feels a little slow. It is also based on ping but you won't feel an effect because of that unless you have 100+ ping against a guy with 10 ping. I used to play with 90 ping.

Offline Tibe

• King
  • Renown: 1335
  • Infamy: 287
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2013, 06:55:03 pm »
Hm, this really is a good question. Personally I would say that adding WPF + weapons base speed does increase its blockingspeed. But not so sure of that. Here is my take:

Ive played with 1h blades for quite some time now. Ive played entire gens with 50 wpf, 100 wpf and even 140wpf. The more WPF the faster a player feints right? Feinting is basically a cancelled hit switched to block multible times(by my understanding atleast). So naturally it would affect simply blocking aswell wouldnt it?  Ive used weapons with low wpf and I did occasionally feel like my reactions could keep up, but the weapon somehow could not when blocking multible enemies at once. With higher wpf I dont really feel it. A pike feels more akward when blocking because its base speed is slower then other weapons speed.

And weapons lenght and weight? Honestly I have no idea about this one. Ive used blades a lot. Ive really never properly wielded heavier stuff like warhammers. So I might have even spoken out of my arse the entire time. :D

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Strategus Councillor
  • Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2013, 07:56:12 pm »
I think weight and length is a factor in block speed, like blocking with a pike feels a little slow. It is also based on ping but you won't feel an effect because of that unless you have 100+ ping against a guy with 10 ping. I used to play with 90 ping.

I believe it's only slow after you've thrusting, if you're just running around it should block "instantly".  Different weapons have different "Recovery" speeds (after they've attacked) where it takes some time to be able to block.  I think length and weight are the deciding factors there, but it may also be item type (as this seems to effect polearm stab more than 2h stab, but I don't know what the reasoning is behind that).
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2013, 08:05:15 pm »
+2
From playing extensively with the slowest blockable weapon in the game, the pike, I can tell you with little doubt that weapon speed does influence your blocking speed. Blocking with a pike feels sluggish and awkward, like you have to work for your blocks. Blocking with a 100 speed weapon seems instant and feels much better. It's sort of less 'snappy' with a pike if I had to describe it. I often block and backpedal my way out of sticky situations with a pike and I actually miss blocks sometimes, while I can't say I miss much blocks when focusing on defending with other weapons. Not sure about the exact mechanics behind it, but quite sure there is something.

As for wpf, I am not sure, but I'd say it does not influence your blocking speed. I have duelled with one handed weapons without wpf enough and I always felt like blocking was as easy as it normally is.

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2013, 09:21:14 pm »
Block speed (both with weapons and shields) has always been a mystery; I don't think I've seen any posts from devs that explain it.

I know that even 103 speed shields are significantly slower to block than a weapon, especially after a block has just been released. Maybe weight affects it somehow? Shields and mauls do seem to block slowly.