Author Topic: cRPG is fun, but the going is rough.  (Read 6904 times)

Offline Jarold

• Marshall
  • Renown: 987
  • Infamy: 142
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • "Always wear more armor than the guy next to you."
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarold
Re: cRPG is fun, but the going is rough.
« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2013, 06:03:18 am »
+1
Now that you're level 30 the next step is quite simple, join a clan to get a constant multi with.

Offline Malaclypse

• King
  • Renown: 1299
  • Infamy: 146
  • In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2013, 06:57:11 am »
+3
The other option is to not retire. Respec to try new builds, or roll something like 18/21 where it can easily extend to levels beyond 30. If you use lighter armor and mid-tier weaponry, you'll be able to make a surplus of gold fairly easily, and can buy loom points or heirloomed items as time goes on.
You think you're pretty smart with your dago mustache and your greasy hair.

Offline Eugen

• Count
  • Renown: 180
  • Infamy: 26
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Postla
« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2013, 07:19:01 am »
+3
Whelp, thanks for all the advice, but I think I'm already done.  I hit 30, thought I was ready to retire, realized I had to be 31.  According to my stat page I have to gain the XP equal to all previous levels combined (or some really absurd number).  Since I can't seem to hang onto anything over x1 multiplier I'm, currently looking at about 50 hours of time, just so I can retire and start all over.  That's about 100 hours a generation, that's just insane!  I've sunk about 35 hours so far and have little to show for it.

I understand wanting progression, but I've played MMOs more forgiving than this.  If I have to sit through all this 14 more times, well, I can find a better use for the time.  Best of lick to the rest of you, but the barrier of entry is just a bit high.

First. You are right 30 to 31 takes some time. If you want to go to level 32 or above it gets even more extreme.

Second. You wont get much more progression from c-rpgs gamemechanic then beeing a level 30 (or 31) hero. (except of looms - and that really is neglectable). All further progression is training your personal skills. Dont put yourself under pressure. If you feel like making a break from c-rpg just do. Comeback in some weeks and try again. Sometimes this works wonders. You wont loose anything if you stop playing for some time. If you are the ambitious type - you will have to join a good clan and get some expert training from veteran players. Depends on what you want from this game. Powergrinding or leisure gaming - you can have both and maybe more. Depens what you make of it.

If your not content with your current built, try an Skip the Fun built (instant level 30) and try something new (hoplite, thrower, 2h might be good - or cavalry if you have some gold to spend). You can have as many alternative Chars as you like, but only one STF, if I am right. You can Skip the Fun once a week I believe.

Cheers and gratulation for Level 30.
If you dont come back: Farewell and may thine sword be sharp and never break.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Goeths

• Noble
  • Renown: 12
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2013, 08:59:01 am »
even better you can respect your Skip The Fun char none stop now !

Offline Patoson

• Marshall
  • Renown: 784
  • Infamy: 138
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 19, 2013, 10:50:23 am »
Whelp, thanks for all the advice, but I think I'm already done.  I hit 30, thought I was ready to retire, realized I had to be 31.  According to my stat page I have to gain the XP equal to all previous levels combined (or some really absurd number).  Since I can't seem to hang onto anything over x1 multiplier I'm, currently looking at about 50 hours of time, just so I can retire and start all over.  That's about 100 hours a generation, that's just insane!  I've sunk about 35 hours so far and have little to show for it.

I understand wanting progression, but I've played MMOs more forgiving than this.  If I have to sit through all this 14 more times, well, I can find a better use for the time.  Best of lick to the rest of you, but the barrier of entry is just a bit high.
Can't agree more. The grind is quite slow, even with maximum generation bonus.

Offline Dooz

• Duke
  • Renown: 674
  • Infamy: 165
  • Horrible_Human
    • View Profile
    • Wasteland Fight Club
« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2013, 05:12:54 am »
lol smart

Offline Grumbs

• طالبان
  • King
  • Renown: 1170
  • Infamy: 617
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2013, 10:06:07 am »
+2

Retiring isn't really something to look forward to, its just a goal that marks your progress. If you think about it the bonuses from being ~30 far outweigh what you get in exchange. But the long term bonus of some looms makes it worth retiring. The good thing about needing to get to 31 is that you get to play with your "max" level guy for a good amount of time before you have to trade it in for your loom point. I think being underlevelled is a plus point for some though too as they enjoy the added challenge. Its not ideal for new players though

If I were to do cRPG again I don't think I would retire at all. I'd just use bad gear to make gold and make do with having few looms. I said before though that the XP should be more front loaded than it is, so you get to like level 30 in just a few hours, then the 30-31 level takes the rest of the time so it still takes just as long from 1-31
If you have ranged troubles use this:

Offline Breidr

• Baron
  • Renown: 123
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
  • Stand Tall! Shieldwall!
    • View Profile
    • Breidr's Twitch TV Channel
  • Faction: Highest Bidder
  • Game nicks: Breidr
  • IRC nick: Breidr
« Reply #52 on: August 23, 2013, 02:47:24 am »
Well, progression doesn't matter when you can't achieve anything meaningful in the end anyway.  I think I can count the rounds my team has won today on one hand.  I've been trying strat battles because Pub servers are, from experience, extremely skewed.  During my strat battle today I'm the only one on my team that decided to show...

I'm sorry, but forget all the xp nonsense for a minute, I simply won't play a game that is this skewed.  I've got better things to do than watch my team repeatedly get slaughtered over and over.  Yeah, I could go play siege, but then we come back to the gold ol' x1 problem.

This game has too much downtime.  It's simply not fun.

Offline Jarold

• Marshall
  • Renown: 987
  • Infamy: 142
  • "Always wear more armor than the guy next to you."
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarold
« Reply #53 on: August 23, 2013, 08:02:51 am »
Yeah this mod is for a very select few people. The first time I played it I quit because I was a complete noob. I came back 8 months alter and thoroughly enjoyed it. Maybe all the right things happened on my second playthrough, now im addicted.

Offline Matey

• King
  • Renown: 1327
  • Infamy: 372
  • cRPG Player
  • A Pirate
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Matey_BRD
« Reply #54 on: August 23, 2013, 10:02:24 am »
+2
Well, progression doesn't matter when you can't achieve anything meaningful in the end anyway.  I think I can count the rounds my team has won today on one hand.  I've been trying strat battles because Pub servers are, from experience, extremely skewed.  During my strat battle today I'm the only one on my team that decided to show...

I'm sorry, but forget all the xp nonsense for a minute, I simply won't play a game that is this skewed.  I've got better things to do than watch my team repeatedly get slaughtered over and over.  Yeah, I could go play siege, but then we come back to the gold ol' x1 problem.

Tis the most skill-requiring game I've played. Joining a clan is a great way to learn and have cool people to play with and hang out with while playing. Also, being level 30+ is where you should be most effective, so not retiring means staying effective... if you don't play all that much and don't want to be a low level peasant again then just don't retire. If you use relatively cheap gear you can even save up money to buy loom points/loomed items. As for strat fights, only apply for the bigger ones with 500+ on each side.

Offline Angantyr

• King
  • Renown: 1134
  • Infamy: 130
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 23, 2013, 02:18:36 pm »
+5
I think the important thing here is that it is not the grind it is the actual combat, when you block those hits and repay in kind, or to experience great teamwork. To enjoy cRPG you will probably have to fall in love with some armaments first, looking cool in an armor and simply using a weapon you find interesting and mastering it is the reward.

And forget character progression for a bit, it is in the end your own skill progression that counts, and this is so much more rewarding.

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
« Reply #56 on: August 23, 2013, 03:10:53 pm »
+1
There's not much reason to retire anymore; just level up or skip the fun, join a big clan, and use looms from the clan armory.

Offline Malaclypse

• King
  • Renown: 1299
  • Infamy: 146
  • In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 24, 2013, 02:02:28 am »
+1
Dude does ultimately have the right idea. After all, when it comes to cRPG

You think you're pretty smart with your dago mustache and your greasy hair.

Offline Grumbs

• طالبان
  • King
  • Renown: 1170
  • Infamy: 617
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 24, 2013, 12:08:32 pm »

Make your own achievements. Everyone sucks to start with because they start with very little they can transfer over from other games effectively

If you want to think of things like achieving something, then focus on some areas to start with. Make sure you can manually block effectively. This to me is the main combat skill you want to focus on as it doesn't just teach you how to defend. You will get to know positioning, holding blocks, not to overextend, selecting the right block fast, which block you need against which class the most (and so which attacks are strongest for which class), where abouts the player might likely be for each attack, when to block more than once because of enemy attack speed etc. All this makes you learn about attacks at the same time by seeing how other player's attacks work on you. You can just make really simple attacks while learning this, no need to learn feints or which attack to use (although it helps). Just get good at blocking and most enemies will make a mistake eventually that any simple attack will go through. 

People look down on 2 handers but you can learn so much with that class while still having good easy ish attacks. You can even take a xbow to at least feel like you did something in a round if you make mistakes. This is how I started playing, xbow and 2 hander. You want to transition from this asap though so you don't stagnate sitting somewhere left clicking on guys and reloading all round. You won't learn much at all like that and hit a skill ceiling

Manual blocking, staying with team mates and not overextending is a very good starting point into the game. Get those basics and you can add onto that quite easily

If you have ranged troubles use this:

Offline Najjynn

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 31, 2013, 03:47:47 am »
I'm getting tired of archery, and ready to switch to melee; however, the only problem is that my ping is constantly high (ranges from 119 to 130).  Would you say that shielder is easier on a person with a higher ping, or worse due to the slower speeds when attacking? 
Twin_Dragon