Author Topic: Help with anime  (Read 2724 times)

Offline Lizard_man

• Marshall
  • Renown: 717
  • Infamy: 153
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Lizard_man, Jinmenju
Re: Help with anime
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2013, 01:16:12 am »
Old for me would be early 90's, late 80's, it's when I first started watching anime... :)

The thing that you'll realize, after watching anime for some time. The Japanese voice the characters with passion, and the emotion is there. Americans, well, they dub it as if it's just some cartoon, and they lose the original feeling along the way. Earlier anime was dubbed quite well actually, but even those are better in Japanese. Either way, as long as you're enjoying it, that's all that matters... :P
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Muki

• Earl
  • Renown: 455
  • Infamy: 78
  • cRPG Player
  • 偽善正義
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Exile
  • Game nicks: Muki
  • IRC nick: Muki, Muki39
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2013, 01:20:41 am »
mmm well if you want English dub

Trigun
Rurouni Kenshin

I also hear Fairy Tail is dub in english too

As a volunteer admin I clearly have no life and live only to eradicate all fun and enjoyment from the game. Your tears of rage are all the payment I need.
Yes I drew most of my avatars

Offline Necrorave

• Duke
  • Renown: 609
  • Infamy: 71
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Who the fuck is this guy?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Dracul
  • Game nicks: Necrorave and or Cheesus Crust
  • IRC nick: Necrorave
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2013, 01:35:49 am »
I started watching Sword Art Online dubbed.

I like it so far and did notice that the original is done MUCH better in the sense of voice acting.  Although, like I said.  It is a matter of relating to the characters for me.

Also, subtitles direct my eyes away from the art itself.  For a very "Smooth" anime art style it can be distracting.

Offline Bjord

• Amateur heretic
  • King
  • Renown: 1328
  • Infamy: 1109
  • salty turks
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2013, 01:41:17 am »
+1
In all honesty, you are going to hate me.  I watch the dubbed versions.  I just find them easier to relate to the characters.  I know dubs usually are not done well or have awkward moments, but without the English language I don't relate very well to the characters.

I'd also like to mention that Samurai Champloo is fairly old.  (For me; Like 2005ish)

You want help with anime but you watch dubbed? I'm afraid you're beyond help, friend.

Fucking hell, watching dubbed anime makes me feel like the protagonist in A Clockwork Orange when they fix his eyelids into perpetual upsprungedness while blasting him with drugs that make you fucking hate whatever's in front of you.

Seriously, if you watch dubbed anime there's something wrong with you.

Anyway, some suggestions (and for god's sake and all that is holy, fucking watch them with original audio):

Texhnolyze - Dystopian future where everything's gone to shit, featuring cool stuff like artificial limbs (in the series, this technology is called "texhnolyzing"). Main character is a pit fighter in a gladirorial like setting, where he starts his ascension from bottom of society, struggling with his ever growing apathy of human life and stuff that makes you feel really shitty. Watch if you like feeling shitty.

Afro Samurai and Afro Samurai Resurrection - In this instance I'm actually cool with the dubbed version, since Samuel L. Jackson stars in it. Reminiscent of Samurai Champloo with its hip-hop style, but way grittier with ultraviolent gore, superhuman beatings and fucking glorious fucked-up'edness in general. Very casual like with 5 episodes per series.

Well, you already watched Ghost in the Shell, very nice series, my all time favourite.

Eureka Seven - Kinda cheesy, protagonist is a bundle of sticks, but if you like mechas and surfing, and generally awesome animations, this is for you.

Code Geass - Decent anine, very ominous plot and dark enough for my personal taste. Watch if you like mechas (I'm a bit of a mecha fan, yes...), plot twists in every corner and fresh and original concept.

CLANNAD - You'd probably judge me for watching this, but I like dramas and this one will probably make you shed a few tears. Not an amazing anime, but it leaves you with a lasting impression (mainly because I cried like a little girl almost :lol:).

FMA: Brotherhood - One of the few good animes out there, highly recommend.

Anything Miyazaki is always brilliant.

And if you want something completely different; Lucky Star - Just wach it, you either hate it or love it.

When you stare into the abyss, the abyss stares back.

Offline Jarold

• Marshall
  • Renown: 987
  • Infamy: 142
  • "Always wear more armor than the guy next to you."
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarold
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2013, 01:58:30 am »
+1
I watched Naruto a long time ago. It was a good show but I feel like it was pointed in the direction of a younger audience. Still has it's good moments though, good story, and well developed characters. I have never seen the newer narutos though like naruto shipuden or whatever they have out, just Naruto. Oh yeah and watch the English dub.

The things I've always hated about anime is that they always drag out scenes for sooo long. Honsetly the only anime series I've watched for more than a few episodes was Naruto.

Offline Daunt_Flockula

• Marshall
  • Renown: 870
  • Infamy: 71
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook
  • Step aside peasants!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Pixel Paladins
  • Game nicks: Cock_Blockula Kunt_Blockula Daunt_Flockula
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2013, 02:07:11 am »
I watched Naruto a long time ago. It was a good show but I feel like it was pointed in the direction of a younger audience. Still has it's good moments though, good story, and well developed characters. I have never seen the newer narutos though like naruto shipuden or whatever they have out, just Naruto. Oh yeah and watch the English dub.

The things I've always hated about anime is that they always drag out scenes for sooo long. Honsetly the only anime series I've watched for more than a few episodes was Naruto.

I know Naruto can be offputting at times Jarold but just don't give up. From time to time it looks childish, sometimes it gets monotonous, fillers are boring, the almost gay Sasuke-Naruto relation might be sickening... But please go on. Naruto isn't actually as lame as its shell makes it appear.

Offline Casimir

• King
  • Renown: 1756
  • Infamy: 271
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The Dashing Templar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Casimir
  • IRC nick: Casimir
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2013, 02:09:36 am »
+1
porco roso
Turtles

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2013, 02:56:08 am »
Code geass, Berserk (berserk is probably the only anime i could watch dubbed, i dunno maybe its the style and setting which makes it feel sort of ok), anything made by Studio ghibli is worth watching.

Naruto is pretty good before shippuuden, maybe its my nostalgia talking, but i stopped watching shippuuden because it just felt so childfriendly, while in the early naruto episodes there is blood etc.

Another GREAT anime is Hajime no Ippo, which ive seen multiple times, its a pretty long one aswell with around 100 episodes iirc. Also continues in the manga which is one of the longest running mangas with around 1000 chapters i believe.
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA

Offline AntiBlitz

• Duke
  • Renown: 636
  • Infamy: 187
  • cRPG Player
  • American Scum
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2013, 03:51:28 am »
BERSERK

GO WATCH THIS, ITS IN ENGLISH, AND IS VERY WELL DONE.  YOU WONT BE DISAPPOINTED, JUST GET PAST THE FIRST EPISODE BECAUSE YOU WILL LITERALLY BE LOST TILL THE END.  yes its in caps, and no im not fixing it.

And you dont have to pirate it, its on youtube; no no, you dont have to thank me, the whole series is posted below. Enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLWHOGxtWyDoix96Z6O5nnHfb9PcUHj676

Offline Gmnotutoo

• King
  • Renown: 1387
  • Infamy: 229
  • Space Pope of BIRD CLAN
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Unicorns
  • Game nicks: Gmnotutoo
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2013, 08:00:58 am »
+1
Hello, I'm NA's best weaboo as decided by Daruvian so my words hold meaning here.

Only two animes are allowed to be watched dubbed; Princess Mononoke and Cowboy Bebop!

After that you want subbed for the rest. Here is a list of random animes that you may like that are varied with respective genres.

Safe Recommendations for TV series:
(click to show/hide)

Safe Movie Recommendations:

(click to show/hide)

Recommendations that you may or may not like:

(click to show/hide)

Also don't watch One Piece, its more annoying than Naruto and features dirty pirates.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 08:16:46 am by Gmnotutoo »

THIS IS A MANLY CLAN. FOR MANLY MEN. DOING MANLY THINGS.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2013, 08:31:55 am »
+4
Watching anime dubbed should be a crime

Offline Jarold

• Marshall
  • Renown: 987
  • Infamy: 142
  • "Always wear more armor than the guy next to you."
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarold
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2013, 08:48:41 am »
+1
What is the difference between English dubbed and the original? I only see a difference in the lip movements. Then again I haven't even watch an anime in the original form.

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2013, 09:01:12 am »
I have to second the recommendation for Mushishi. It's a pretty special thing, though, because it's about a spirit healer, and there is not much action in it, but the art is great and I also like the eerie atmosphere.
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline Artyem

• King
  • Renown: 1218
  • Infamy: 264
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • SODOM Shaman
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Dracul / Raven / SODOMY
  • Game nicks: Artyem
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2013, 09:10:11 am »
Honestly, not a very large fan of Anime, but I found Cowboy Bebop and Ghost in the Shell to be pretty entertaining.  I used to watch Naruto when I was younger, but sweet jesus do I fucking hate it now.

Sordida asinum latronibus sumus

Offline Lizard_man

• Marshall
  • Renown: 717
  • Infamy: 153
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Lizard_man, Jinmenju
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2013, 09:11:53 am »
BERSERK

GO WATCH THIS, ITS IN ENGLISH, AND IS VERY WELL DONE.  YOU WONT BE DISAPPOINTED, JUST GET PAST THE FIRST EPISODE BECAUSE YOU WILL LITERALLY BE LOST TILL THE END.  yes its in caps, and no im not fixing it.

And you dont have to pirate it, its on youtube; no no, you dont have to thank me, the whole series is posted below. Enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLWHOGxtWyDoix96Z6O5nnHfb9PcUHj676

I must admit, Berserk is a great anime, it's also one of the worst dubbed anime's I've ever had the chance of hearing...

What is the difference between English dubbed and the original? I only see a difference in the lip movements. Then again I haven't even watch an anime in the original form.

Watch an episode of Berserk in Japanese, then watch it in English, it's actually quite sickening...