Poll

Spear/Pike weapons are:

Working as intended and not overpowered.
23 (60.5%)
Too effective against infantry, but effective enough against cavalry.
7 (18.4%)
Too fast when it comes to stabbing.
1 (2.6%)
Able to change where they are stabbing far too easily.
1 (2.6%)
Too fast at stabbing AND change directions too easily.
6 (15.8%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Voting closed: June 09, 2011, 10:23:43 pm

Author Topic: Pike/Spear/Polearmpokiethings Stab too fast on foot?  (Read 1474 times)

Offline Konrax

• Count
  • Renown: 281
  • Infamy: 107
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Konrax of Chaos
Pike/Spear/Polearmpokiethings Stab too fast on foot?
« on: May 10, 2011, 10:18:45 pm »
I've noticed that a lot of people are running around on foot now with spear classed weapons just repeat stabbing into large cluster battles. Now normally I think this is okay under the previous circumstances, but I find that with enemies these weapons can stab at me two or even three times before I can close the distance against them. Orignially these weapons were intended as primarily anti-cav weapons, and secondly as infantry support weapons. However with the current system these weapons are too fast for their length on foot and too maneuverable making them imbalanced against the other melee class weapons.

Also add that they have such a long range that it doesn't even count as a melee weapon anymore.

Before you go on a rant about "block down then" or just block, keep in mind that the weapon is so long and fast that someone running away from you one second is stabbing you in the face from 8 feet away the next.

What do you all think?

Offline Penitent

• King
  • Renown: 1389
  • Infamy: 220
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Penitent_Turtler
Re: Pike/Spear/Polearmpokiethings Stab too fast on foot?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 10:26:23 pm »
block down.  :lol:

It's about time spears are useful on foot against infantry!

Offline Konrax

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 11:23:01 pm »
block down.  :lol:

It's about time spears are useful on foot against infantry!

They were always useful against infantry, even with 1 wpf in polearm and a shortspear and shield I can support an infantry group.

Offline Tzar

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 564
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_TzarOfRushYa
  • IRC nick: TZAR
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 12:24:07 am »
To asnwer your question yes they are too fast but we need people to go pikes so by all means let it be  :lol:

If the weapon was only usefull for anti cav duty no1 would ever borther using it.

So in a way i take the bad with the good.
I've never played a server where people split up as much or as often as on EU1.  No wonder range is having a field day.

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 01:45:01 am »
I've noticed that a lot of people are running around on foot now with spear classed weapons just repeat stabbing into large cluster battles.
MISSION SUCCESSFUL
CanYouBlockDown? It is more likely than you think!

Oh no! A support poke class is suddenly not only viable, But people are doing it like I suggest?
NERF NERF NERF NERF

And it really isn't fast. IF they poke you 3 times before you catch them, they probably die in one hit as well as they are some agi character trying to backpedal while poking you -- Which, by the way, makes them do less damage.
Also, they ONLY poke. It is their only viable attack direction. Sure they can overhead too, but they can't in a 1v1.
So, to clarify since they can only stab in a 1v1 viably, you are either complaining the following:
1. I am dying to guys poking me in a 1v1.       Solvable by downblocking
2. I am dying when i am fighting 1v2 or 1v3 where an enemy pokes me with a long stick.          You Should probably lose when you are outnumbered. Just saying.
3. You are having trouble coping with another class being viable on the melee field of battle.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 01:55:04 am by Marathon »
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline Seawied

• Knight
  • Renown: 45
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player
  • Climbing in yo window, snatching yo people up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 03:41:15 am »
Its not the speed of the stab thats the problem, but polearms seem to give a slightly longer stun animation than other weapons. Down blocking is by no means difficult, but when playing against Noobie and his cursed awlpike, I often get stun locked. Granted, I have 100 ping, but it could use some accurate testing over my casual observation.
So with PT >10 stones become simple too effective
:lol:

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 06:36:30 am »
Its not the speed of the stab thats the problem, but polearms seem to give a slightly longer stun animation than other weapons. Down blocking is by no means difficult, but when playing against Noobie and his cursed awlpike, I often get stun locked. Granted, I have 100 ping, but it could use some accurate testing over my casual observation.

You realize that any spearlike stab which is blocked stuns the guy stabbing at you with it right?  Try it.  Grab a spear, and a shield.  Poke a guy with his shield up or weapon manual blocking downward.  Watch as your weapon is deflected far outward, you are stunned for a moment and unable to block and the defender gets a free hit on you.

@OP:  No, they are not too fast.  At all.  With a 1h/2h/polearm I can block down and counterattack them immediately afterwards before they can poke again.  I only have 100 wpf in each (on the same character - 3 weapon hybrid) so if I can do this, anyone can.  It's all a matter of footwork and timing.  If they're getting 3 stabs on you before you can attack either you're failing at footwork/timing yourself, you are slow and they are an agi whore, or your ping is astronomical.
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline Konrax

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 08:07:31 am »
Or the pike is nearly 300 units and walking backwards?

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2011, 08:23:30 am »
Or the pike is nearly 300 units and walking backwards?

Again:  Are you slow?  If you have any reasonable athletics (3-4+) you should advance much faster than he backpedals.  UNLESS he's an agi-whore gimmick build.  Refer to earlier posts for these reasons laid out beforehand as well.
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline Spawny

• Count
  • Renown: 152
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Templar_Spawny
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2011, 10:30:34 am »
Again:  Are you slow?  If you have any reasonable athletics (3-4+) you should advance much faster than he backpedals.  UNLESS he's an agi-whore gimmick build.  Refer to earlier posts for these reasons laid out beforehand as well.

Tested with casimir and his 3 athletics vs my 8 athletics on my polearmer.

He can advance faster than I can backpaddle.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

The problem is even if you are number 1 in NA you are still only number 467 in EU or the worst in AUS(number 17)

Offline Seawied

• Knight
  • Renown: 45
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player
  • Climbing in yo window, snatching yo people up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2011, 10:40:00 am »
Again:  Are you slow?

Nice double meaning there  :lol:

But yes, you don't need much athletics to keep up with a back peddler. Pikes only have 2 attacks, so you gotta be drunk or newb to miss blocking their attacks. A decent player should have a successful block rate of no less than 90% against a solo pikeman.
So with PT >10 stones become simple too effective
:lol:

Offline Joxer

• Knight
  • Renown: 55
  • Infamy: 53
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Autolycus Joxer_The_Mighty Salmoneus
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2011, 05:52:36 pm »
Spear arms are supposed to be used in a manner of step in, hit and step back. What you want them to do? Stand still ffs?  :twisted:
Why is everybody telling me to think? I think, I just don't show it.

Offline Konrax

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2011, 09:11:54 pm »
How about using some skills and turning completely around running away, prepping your attack then turning around again to deliver a lightning fast polearm stab.

FFS just L2P you nubs, tired of tards NOT READING WTF I'M SAYING and trying to pull random meanings between the lines.

Anyways, it is HIGHLY unrealistic and unfair that a spear type weapon can run around with a stab chambered and just spin ina  circle in the air and stab in any direction, ESPECIALLY if they have such stupid range and damage associated with it.

I want to see spear and pike class weapons unable to move when they chamber a stab, and they can only move the spear around only slightly before releasing the attack.

That way it doesn't feel like exploiting broken game engines every time I have this done to me.

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2011, 02:56:01 am »
How about using some skills and turning completely around running away, prepping your attack then turning around again to deliver a lightning fast polearm stab.

FFS just L2P you nubs, tired of tards NOT READING WTF I'M SAYING and trying to pull random meanings between the lines.

Anyways, it is HIGHLY unrealistic and unfair that a spear type weapon can run around with a stab chambered and just spin ina  circle in the air and stab in any direction, ESPECIALLY if they have such stupid range and damage associated with it.

I want to see spear and pike class weapons unable to move when they chamber a stab, and they can only move the spear around only slightly before releasing the attack.

That way it doesn't feel like exploiting broken game engines every time I have this done to me.
But you should be able to to do it with every other weapon?
have you ever used a spear? in game or in real life?
Not only is it realistic (go grab a broom or something and go in your backyard and try it), that is the only way TO hit with the pole arm stab in this game since you have to control where it goes. The hitbox is only the tip and if you don't guide it into the opponent you will never hit them. Now, With that being said I think the turn rate of all characters should go down a bit to prevent the retarded lol-stab-spinning-helicopter-shit which you are actually complaining about. But what you are complaining about has absolutely nothing to do with the weapons in question.

Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline Joxer

• Knight
  • Renown: 55
  • Infamy: 53
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Autolycus Joxer_The_Mighty Salmoneus
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2011, 03:16:17 am »

How the hell is unrealistic? Ffs that's what they were designed to do in the first place. *doh*. Besides you can do that with 1h and 2h too. L2reality before you make half-assed statements like that.  :rolleyes:
Why is everybody telling me to think? I think, I just don't show it.