Author Topic: Do you play Strat for XP?  (Read 1986 times)

Offline Corsair831

• King
  • Renown: 1168
  • Infamy: 616
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Do you play Strat for XP?
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2013, 12:23:42 am »
+1
i play strat because it's fun and the battles are fun, it's about more than mindlessly charging there's a bit of tactics and better than that there's strategy involved

the fact that you get xp is just a bonus to me :)
I 10/10'd cRPG on moddb.com!

Do your bit for our community and write a 10/10 review for cRPG on http://www.moddb.com/mods/crpg !

Offline Falka

• King
  • Renown: 1257
  • Infamy: 423
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2013, 12:37:31 am »
is everyone wearing plate?

Plate? NA? YOu're using peasants gear in comparison to EU side :P
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline TheAppleSauceMan

• Duke
  • Renown: 553
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player
  • dear god I hate throwers
    • View Profile
    • Look and you'll enjoy.
  • Faction: Dracul, RUFF RYDERS
  • Game nicks: Dracul_AppleSauce_FieldBauss | Wiff Khalifa | U_Having_A_Giggle_M8
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2013, 05:03:56 am »
Strat itself I don't do much in, I've tried to get into it multiple times, trade runs and etc. But it just ends up feeling like a chore. And the only times I go to strat battles is if I really need the XP. I can't recall any strat battles I've actually enjoyed, at least not like I enjoy playing regular c-rpg. The shitty lag I get, plus being a shielder (the one that charges and and then gets demolished by teammates overheads from behind) really sucks any enjoyment out of it for me.

TLDR; I only ever play if I REALLY need the XP, and even then it's a chore and takes a lot of motivation for me to do it.
I'm rock, nerf paper, scissors is fine. Welcome to c-RPG.

Offline Legs

• Marshall
  • Renown: 819
  • Infamy: 88
  • cRPG Player
  • Loco Motive
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Arms, Legs
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2013, 06:02:03 am »
The xp is definitely a draw but I think that strat is pretty interesting in itself.

Having competitive, organized battles is a nice change of pace and reminds me a little of reenactments in that people actually follow orders to form shield walls, timed charges/retreats, a legitimate forward line, etc. The use of siege gear is another element that makes it better for roleplaying, with the exception of gigantic ladder teepees. It's also much more balanced in the sense that players fighting for the same faction all have access to the same equipment so you can't really buy your way into performing better like you can by outfitting yourself in all +3s and cutting down peasants on the battle server. There's an interesting kind of anonymity too since everyone's using supplied gear and they're harder to recognize, like sometimes you'll go to run down some lone guy and find that he's way more skilled than you anticipated.

Of course there are also downsides to this kind of competitive organized play, like not being able to play when you're inebriated or low level. Not to mention having to listen to people nerdrage when they're losing a battle.
Legs are used for standing, walking, jumping, running, kicking, and similar activities.

Offline Dionysus

• Duke
  • Renown: 696
  • Infamy: 63
  • cRPG Player
  • I move-- for no man.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Art of War
  • Game nicks: Dionysus_AoW
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2013, 08:22:50 am »
+1
I fight for experience, yes, but FCC has been pretty generous to me and my fellow clan members, so I fight in their battles.

I'm not totally against fighting alongside other clans, but as long as their is someone with AoW tags playing, I'd prefer to stick with them.

Offline Corsair831

• King
  • Renown: 1168
  • Infamy: 616
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2013, 12:47:59 pm »
+1
Strat itself I don't do much in, I've tried to get into it multiple times, trade runs and etc. But it just ends up feeling like a chore. And the only times I go to strat battles is if I really need the XP. I can't recall any strat battles I've actually enjoyed, at least not like I enjoy playing regular c-rpg. The shitty lag I get, plus being a shielder (the one that charges and and then gets demolished by teammates overheads from behind) really sucks any enjoyment out of it for me.

TLDR; I only ever play if I REALLY need the XP, and even then it's a chore and takes a lot of motivation for me to do it.

strat is a bit laggy, sure, and you don't get as many kills as you do in EU1, sure.

The biggest difference for me is you can dedicate yourself in strat to a cause ... it's not about KDR, it's just about completing the team objective ... defending spawn to make sure enemy cav don't get there, playing hoplite to ward off enemy cav whilst getting practically no kills in the main fight, standing in a shieldwall defending something whilst your team attacks, charging repeatedly up falling ladders for that small chance of securing a foothold on the walls so your homies behind you can get in; all so your team can win instead of for your personal gains ...

... there's something about working for the team instead of just for yourself that really captures me :) ..
I 10/10'd cRPG on moddb.com!

Do your bit for our community and write a 10/10 review for cRPG on http://www.moddb.com/mods/crpg !

Offline Fartface

• Earl
  • Renown: 476
  • Infamy: 288
  • cRPG Player
  • Centurii
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Deathcore,Djentcore,Deathmetal,Brutal,Slam
  • Game nicks: Growling,Grunting,Screaming,Squeeling
  • IRC nick: Fuck I love it.
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2013, 12:53:22 pm »
I REALY REALY enjoy playing strat battles , the XP is a bonus for me.

Offline BASNAK

• King
  • Renown: 1349
  • Infamy: 170
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: MolonLave_Garlic
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2013, 01:03:24 pm »
+3
Change the exp ticks in strat battles to the equivalent of x2 multi in battle mode, and all that will be left in the battles will be Hetman+Harpag vs Haboe+Nocti dueling.

Offline Latvian

• King
  • Renown: 1494
  • Infamy: 379
  • с̴͎͖͈͟͠ͅу̷̸̻̣͇͚̫͎͇̩̟̖̪͇̯к̀́͠͞҉͎͚͎а̰̤͕̱͔̬͖̟̺͍͎́͞ ̸͝
    • View Profile
  • Faction: one and only DESERTERS
  • Game nicks: u know its me when you see me
« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2013, 01:35:17 pm »
i play strat for xp mostly, nice xp often saves everyone from hurting butts after battle :)
people are like potatoes, they come in different shapes and sizes and they all are beautifull
masturbating while looking in a mirror isnt wrong unless its the rear view mirror and you are driving a school buss.

it doesnt matter if you are happiest person or an unfortunate weeper, a powerfull beast or a terrifying creature. we are all equal, in the eyes of the reaper.

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2013, 02:38:25 pm »
they're like organised TDM

+ the fact that people aren't like lemmings. It's just much easier for me as a piker to have fun then.. :)
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • Renown: 2174
  • Infamy: 227
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WITCHCRAFT, A_Hot_Elf_Princess, Yurnero_of_the_High_Plains, and secret alts
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2013, 10:21:29 am »
+2
The only reason I haven't been moving my army in strat is due to real life overtaking my time to micromanage the army. With a bit of imagination, all those little dots and numbers represent a lot of cool ideas. A full PVP map that works like single player M&B is a big draw for me - None of those armies are AI. Every single one is a person with real goals that you can assist with or destroy.

Fief sieges are like siege server but unique every time - walls get knocked down, siege towers appear in different spots. Open field battles are not even comparable to open field maps on the battle server. It's completely different. Squad fighting, hilltop fortifications, Shieldwall pushes. These don't happen in NA/EU 1 unless a clan decided to run a gimmicky theme and fight in formation.

Being in teamspeak and hearing everyone make plans. The panic when a wave of enemy soldiers overpowers a strategic point. It's intense. The sense of victory when you topple a barricaded area. No other game mode has this kind of teamplay and goal-oriented fighting. Better yet, all the goals are made by players. It's not random points to capture. Each chokepoint and base is planned by someone, and it is that much more satisfying to hold the area or to lay waste to it. Battle and siege feel like joining a random FPS game lobby. There is little player interaction beyond fighting. There are no plans. Just walk forwards and fight. That's it. Strategus is a concerted effort by the players.

The XP is just the icing on the cake. Hang out with friends. Try out new items for free. Theory-craft battles and lay out your plans. Bemoan losses and embrace close victories. Regroup for the next attack, or split the spoils of war with trustworthy accomplices. It's a lot of fun that nothing else in CRPG (and nothing in any other game) compares to.

irl something shorted on the shuttle and laika overheated and died within a few hours of liftoff and for a brief while one could look up to the stars and see a light shooting across the sky that was actually a warm dog corpse slingshoting about the earth at thousands of miles per hour which was arguably humanity's greatest achievement so far

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2013, 10:58:09 am »
strat is a bit laggy, sure, and you don't get as many kills as you do in EU1, sure.

The biggest difference for me is you can dedicate yourself in strat to a cause ... it's not about KDR, it's just about completing the team objective ... defending spawn to make sure enemy cav don't get there, playing hoplite to ward off enemy cav whilst getting practically no kills in the main fight, standing in a shieldwall defending something whilst your team attacks, charging repeatedly up falling ladders for that small chance of securing a foothold on the walls so your homies behind you can get in; all so your team can win instead of for your personal gains ...

... there's something about working for the team instead of just for yourself that really captures me :) ..
Working for the team and you end up with "performance" at 4 or worse and nobody is going to take you for their strat battles anymore... oh wait, you don't get that problem, do you?

I remember being in a strat battle with Cicero in command once and he kept saying "charge up the ladder - I don't care about the tickets right now" and that's what I did. Charged up that ladder with my shield in front of me just to be greeted with Great Mauls at the end of the ladder. Naturally I ended up with something like 5/38 in that battle just to be mocked about cuz I followed orders...
The problem isn't about the battles itself or anything "game related" but sometimes I get the impression this community has some serious issues :wink:
Not that I give something about internet flame - sometimes it just gets annoying :P
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.