Poll

WOULD MAP ROTATION ALTERATIONS HELP NA2?

Yes!
13 (35.1%)
Possibly
17 (45.9%)
No...
7 (18.9%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Author Topic: NA2's Population - Would Map Rotation Alterations Help?  (Read 1900 times)

Offline Winterly

• Count
  • Renown: 230
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player
  • I play with Quiet Mode On.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
Re: NA2's Population - Would Map Rotation Alterations Help?
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2013, 04:31:07 am »
+1
I'm always pro-new maps because they're a breathe of fresh air regardless of whether it is balanced or not. Balance is something that can be tweaked and is oftentimes subject to the population of the server. However the general opinion in NA2's case, is that multiple factors inhibit a lasting population and the foremost of those problems are banner balance and map balance. The only real solution to map balance I can think of is to have an admin present at all times (yeah...right.) and change the maps in accordance with the population of the server. A document containing which maps would be suitable for small (5-20), medium (21-45), and large (46+) populations would probably be needed for reference.
Winterly's Stuff(selling Courser/buying head and foot armor)
I love how most EU players insert an imaginary "f" into my name: Winterfly.
"Life is kind of like peeing into the snow in a dark winter night, you probably made a difference, but it's really hard to tell" - Joe Wong

Offline Elindor

• King
  • Renown: 1178
  • Infamy: 158
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Caelitus mihi vires
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Order of the Holy Guard
  • Game nicks: Elindor
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2013, 04:34:32 am »
+2
Many of you have mentioned the issue of map balance with small population, which leaves the people there wanting to leave and eventually it dies instead of grows - it has a critical mass issue.

----
I have suggested many times that siege get a DYNAMIC RESPAWN TIMER FOR DEFENSE.
This would be that under a certain threshold, the respawn timer would reduce itself from 30 seconds to 20 seconds or such.
This threshold could be under ~15 defenders, or something like that.
----

Fips, If this is possible through Jacko (and probably cmp for that) it would really help "auto balance" the maps.  Not sure how possible it is.

Again guys, thanks for the input, and be patient as the Scene Managers are new and it will take time to get things going - but changes will be made.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 04:38:45 am by Elindor »
Elindor, Archon of the Holy Guard
Holy Guard Thread :HERE
Banner Shop : HERE // Map Thread : HERE

Offline Jona

• Balancer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 376
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • OG Agi Whore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hounds of Chulainn
  • Game nicks: Jona, Siegafried
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2013, 04:37:08 am »
but NA can't be that fucked up =P

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it can be ;D

And I still don't know how I feel about ballistas...

Also, as weird as it may seem, I have only played siege on working maps since the patch. And I mean maps that worked prior to the patch. I have yet to encounter one of the glitchy ones that might be fixed now. I read in the patch log that maps got updated... but (even though i play too much) I have yet to see a newly-fixed one. Only solution is to play more.

The only real solution to map balance I can think of is to have an admin present at all times (yeah...right.)

A great reason why you should vote Jona for admin 2013.  :P
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

"I'll have my lance aimed at Jona's knees and he'll jump up, run up my lance and kill me." -Dalfador

Offline Fips

• King
  • Renown: 1217
  • Infamy: 290
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Holy Roman Empire
  • Game nicks: Fips_HRE
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2013, 12:43:13 pm »
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it can be ;D

And I still don't know how I feel about ballistas...

Also, as weird as it may seem, I have only played siege on working maps since the patch. And I mean maps that worked prior to the patch. I have yet to encounter one of the glitchy ones that might be fixed now. I read in the patch log that maps got updated... but (even though i play too much) I have yet to see a newly-fixed one. Only solution is to play more.

A great reason why you should vote Jona for admin 2013.  :P

Well, the rotation is still random (which will be fixed at some point) so there is a good chance you won't play new maps, because the majority are still old ones.

@Elindor: Yeah, i'll talk to jacko, maybe there is a way to implement this in without too much effort.

Offline Elindor

• King
  • Caelitus mihi vires
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2013, 03:49:33 pm »
Wonder if there is a way to prioritize new maps in the random equation....probably not.  But yeah I feel like we add 5 or so new maps and I play most nights and almost never see any of them.

Offline Fips

• King
  • Renown: 1217
  • Infamy: 290
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Holy Roman Empire
  • Game nicks: Fips_HRE
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2013, 03:55:48 pm »
Wonder if there is a way to prioritize new maps in the random equation....probably not.  But yeah I feel like we add 5 or so new maps and I play most nights and almost never see any of them.

Well yeah, just make 2 entries instead of one, that should be no problem. And once there is a manual cycle we are the masters of it anyway, so definitely possible =D

Offline Wolfsblood

• Baron
  • Renown: 145
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Murder Boner
  • Game nicks: Wolfsblood_MB, Wolfsfang
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2013, 03:59:38 pm »
+2
Elindor, as much as I hate seeing u on the field of battle, I am really happy that you are putting forward so much effort to breathe some life back into siege.

Props to u

Offline Elindor

• King
  • Caelitus mihi vires
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2013, 04:03:37 pm »
Elindor, as much as I hate seeing u on the field of battle, I am really happy that you are putting forward so much effort to breathe some life back into siege.

Props to u

Why do you hate seeing me on the field of battle?  :cry:

Offline Wolfsblood

• Baron
  • Renown: 145
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Murder Boner
  • Game nicks: Wolfsblood_MB, Wolfsfang
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2013, 04:06:09 pm »
+1
Cuase ur a strength crutch nab  :twisted:

Jk, ur just a really tough opponent  :P

Offline Elindor

• King
  • Caelitus mihi vires
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2013, 04:13:26 pm »
Cuase ur a strength crutch nab  :twisted:
Jk, ur just a really tough opponent  :P

Oh! hah.

Im borderline between balanced build and strength build - used to be pure balanced but couldn't kill all the crutches :)

Anyhow thanks man :)

Offline Neggaz

• Baron
  • Renown: 85
  • Infamy: 12
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2013, 09:25:25 pm »
the first map should get removed it use to kill siege alot and its too long to get to the flag. others are mostly fine imo

Offline Cradoc

• Knight
  • Renown: 57
  • Infamy: 3
  • Streaming all day long
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Cradoc
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2013, 12:38:32 am »
One problem I have with siege is that you don't get a multiplier as fast as battle. You have to play out every single round for the majority of a play session. I would make 10k with battle whereas with siege I would make 4k for the same amount of time.

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2013, 01:20:10 am »
I'm not sure why I stopped playing seige. I felt the monotony after a while that I don't feel with battle mode. The reason I continue not to play it is because  it's not as fun for me, and you get switched every round. Some core mechanics probably needs to be changed for me to go back to it. There's no more situations where I feel like "I guess I'll play siege," I just completely exit out of the game. New, interesting maps and good spawns are definitely a start. Being able to utilize multiple facets of the map makes it interesting.

Offline Jona

• Balancer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 376
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • OG Agi Whore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hounds of Chulainn
  • Game nicks: Jona, Siegafried
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2013, 01:59:20 am »
I'm not sure why I stopped playing seige. I felt the monotony after a while that I don't feel with battle mode. The reason I continue not to play it is because  it's not as fun for me, and you get switched every round. Some core mechanics probably needs to be changed for me to go back to it. There's no more situations where I feel like "I guess I'll play siege," I just completely exit out of the game. New, interesting maps and good spawns are definitely a start. Being able to utilize multiple facets of the map makes it interesting.

While I will agree that getting switched almost every round (from winner to probable loser especially) does get tiring, it is still far better than playing defense 10 rounds in a row. I really don't know if there is a single player who prefers defense over offense. It just has so much more downtime.. sure, it takes about the same time to get back into the fight after dying, but at least as an attacker you spend 30 seconds running around, planning your attack, and not just watching what others are up to, praying that you will spawn in a good spot.

A selectable spawn option for defense would shake things up a bit... nothing quite as bad as spawning on the walls when the attackers are capping the flag. Although I am sure that if everyone just chose one close to the flag, it would get a little tricky to cap the flag. I just think that if while spectating you see maybe 5 guys on the backdoor, then you spawn in the front of the castle where you can't do anything except type "incoming backdoor" makes you feel so useless. Whats the point of spectating if you can't directly act on it? It would be great if you saw guys going to the left side, so you switch your spawn from right to left, and as soon as you spawn in you get to put down their little sneak attack on your own (or die trying, no doubt gloriously). Maybe having 4 general spawn areas could work? Back, front, left and right or something to that effect.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

"I'll have my lance aimed at Jona's knees and he'll jump up, run up my lance and kill me." -Dalfador

Offline Tojo

• Earl
  • Renown: 490
  • Infamy: 84
  • cRPG Player
  • Long Live NA_1
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Krems, HoC, Acre, MB, HG, Beserks
  • Game nicks: _Tojo, Drew_Brees, Tijo
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2013, 02:03:27 am »

you should get your Chaos buddies in Na2 sometime just to help out the population. I see Desire in siege every once in awhile.
Now it takes a whole clan to  bring life to Siege, which it seems is mostly HG and BQ's job, with a handful of MB now and then