Poll

Which of the following best expresses what you think...

Yes to both proposals.
79 (59.4%)
Yes to proposal #1.
21 (15.8%)
Yes to proposal #2.
19 (14.3%)
No to both proposals.
10 (7.5%)
Only under certain conditions.
4 (3%)

Total Members Voted: 132

Author Topic: Possible Polearm Overhead Sweetspot Fix  (Read 7704 times)

Offline Tydeus

• King
  • Renown: 1422
  • Infamy: 351
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Item re-unbalance guy
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tydeus
  • IRC nick: Tydeus
Re: Possible Polearm Overhead Sweetspot Fix
« Reply #45 on: July 30, 2013, 04:33:30 pm »
no, I think they just connect faster.
This. Off the top of my head I believe the 2h right swing enters the sweet spot at about 39% progression through the release animation and the left swing enters at about 44%. Poles are still slower, but only very, slightly.
chadz> i wouldnt mind seeing some penis on my character

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
« Reply #46 on: July 30, 2013, 04:46:48 pm »
This. Off the top of my head I believe the 2h right swing enters the sweet spot at about 39% progression through the release animation and the left swing enters at about 44%. Poles are still slower, but only very, slightly.

Very interesting. Do you have the values for 1h sideswings?

Offline KingBread

• Earl
  • Renown: 445
  • Infamy: 42
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen
  • Game nicks: KingBread
« Reply #47 on: July 30, 2013, 04:53:16 pm »
Right to left is faster for both 2h and polearms, that's intended.
Why it is intended? Reduce the spam? Or just generally FU polearms? 
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Prpavi

• King
  • Renown: 1525
  • Infamy: 402
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 私 わ 変態 です
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Prpavi, Prpafeee
« Reply #48 on: July 30, 2013, 05:02:18 pm »
+2
Why it is intended? Reduce the spam? Or just generally FU polearms?

Well logically polearms are slower and bigger but deal greater damage (irl) so it would be natural for a greatsword (which was around 2/2.5kg) to connect faster than a much heavier poleaxe/german/bardiche. The sweetspot on the katana for example is only about couple of inches at the top of the blade and Samurai were trained to hit with that part but it was also quite sharp lower on the blade while poleaxe is devastating on the top but if you were to catch somebody only with the handle you would deal less damage than a misshit from a 2her. that's why i think 2h have and should have a bit bigger sweetspots and faster animations. I play polearms btw.

Not really fair to compare 2h and polearms imo but somehow people always do.
And now he can't play because of "common sense" and he doesn't understand how this common sense works

Offline Elindor

• King
  • Renown: 1178
  • Infamy: 158
  • Caelitus mihi vires
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Order of the Holy Guard
  • Game nicks: Elindor
« Reply #49 on: July 30, 2013, 05:14:23 pm »
+3
From what I've seen, people refer to LEFT SWING or RIGHT SWING based on the side of the body that the swing is held on before release of the attack.

LEFT SWING = weapon is held across the player's body on their left side, releases from their left to their right
RIGHT SWING = weapon is held on the right side of the player, releases from their right to their left
Elindor, Archon of the Holy Guard
Holy Guard Thread :HERE
Banner Shop : HERE // Map Thread : HERE

Offline Tydeus

• King
  • Item re-unbalance guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 30, 2013, 05:19:07 pm »
All weapon types have the same sweet spots and this can't be changed without wse2. In native, poles have slower hitting animations and since it's not always so easy to keep things absolutely dead even (not all animations were created equally) I've been trying not to steer too far away from native. Believe it or not we don't want to get too far away from native combat, we want it to feel the same. This is precisely why no one could really tell what changed with the left swing. The idea has been to change effectiveness without changing the feel or look.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 05:24:17 pm by Tydeus »

Offline Byrdi

• Earl
  • Renown: 489
  • Infamy: 59
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Byrdi, Swiss Chocolate, and lots of other alts
  • IRC nick: Byrdi
« Reply #51 on: July 30, 2013, 05:54:07 pm »
While you are at it; could you have a look at polearm and onehand thrust?

They seem to glance a lot easier at the end of the animation compared to twohanded thrust animation.

Offline Tydeus

• King
  • Item re-unbalance guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 30, 2013, 05:58:52 pm »
+3
While you are at it; could you have a look at polearm and onehand thrust?

They seem to glance a lot easier at the end of the animation compared to twohanded thrust animation.
See the update in the first post. Taking a look at the pole thrust now(which doesn't need as much work, if any).

Edit: Actually, pole thrust really seems fine. The sweet spot is right over the part of the animation where the character is extending his arms forward. If I were to change anything, it would be such a minor change that I myself probably couldn't even notice a difference, and I'd know exactly what to look for.

Edit 2: Overlooked a minor detail initially, going to go ahead and do the same thing with the pole thrust that I did with the 1h thrust. It makes it so that the full extension of the thrust falls within the sweet spot. For poles it's just a few cm, I'd estimate something like an effective 5cm reach more, as opposed to the 20-30 that 1h got (it was really a poor animation for what the sweet spots are).
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 07:03:46 pm by Tydeus »

Offline Rhaelys

• Duke
  • Renown: 509
  • Infamy: 47
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: Rhaelys_BlockLeft_of_Chaos
« Reply #53 on: July 30, 2013, 05:59:38 pm »
+1
From what I've seen, people refer to LEFT SWING or RIGHT SWING based on the side of the body that the swing is held on before release of the attack.

LEFT SWING = weapon is held across the player's body on their left side, releases from their left to their right
RIGHT SWING = weapon is held on the right side of the player, releases from their right to their left

The problem arises when people refer to swings based on how they initiate the action (i.e. mouse movement).

This is a problem because there are two types of mouse movement (normal and inverted) for dictating attack direction. As the names suggest, you would move your mouse in completely opposite directions to perform the same attack.

I only brought up the issue because a previous poster actually referred to the incorrect attack direction (based on context of what the poster was addressing). Yes, normally "left swing" and "right swing" are taken to mean where the weapon is held relative to the body, but when people start referring to the opposite direction because they're going by how they move their mouse, then the only solution is to be as specific as possible. Rereading the post just makes me think that that poster had no idea what he was talking about.

Apologies for the side-bar.

Quote from: Uumdi
sweet of you guys to celebrate my birthday
wait you're talking about that devils lettuce arent you, god damnit
Quote from: Kreczor
yo you want to burn some sweet romaine tonight?
Quote from: Uumdi
yeah i smoke that dirty green shit fuck iceberg

Offline MrPink44

• Count
  • Renown: 245
  • Infamy: 24
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Frisian Freedom
  • Game nicks: Mr_Pink_Frisia, Flying_FrnchFries
  • IRC nick: n/a
« Reply #54 on: July 30, 2013, 06:09:58 pm »
+1
Appreciate the work Tydeus, seems like you are getting into some of the heart of the game's issues rather than coding in donkey mounts and flaming katana's. So far things seem to be working better. I'd like to see that 1h thrust fix so I can try 1h again.
 +Bitches be all over yo charismatic dick.
"Suck my mace." -Larry the Magical Cheetah
I will be a meatshield for my frisian friends! -Frug Frug MB
"Frisia.. urging clans to go to war with other clans for the lulz since 2012." -Tazer
"Are you not entertained?" -Leonidas, The Prince of Persia: Sands of Time

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 31, 2013, 12:03:40 am »
+1
I say, implement proposal 2 for every weapon type and every swing direction. End the hiltslashing madness !
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 12:07:14 am by Kafein »

Offline Tydeus

• King
  • Item re-unbalance guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 31, 2013, 12:55:15 am »
I say, implement proposal 2 for every weapon type and every swing direction. End the hiltslashing madness !
Wouldn't affect hilt slashing, you may turn into the swings but they're still somewhat in front of you.

Offline Kaelaen

• Count
  • Renown: 163
  • Infamy: 11
  • cRPG Player
  • Peasant
    • View Profile
    • H2O Kaelaen's Youtube Videos
  • Faction: Blandiloquent Rampallion Deutereagonists (BRD)
  • Game nicks: Kaelaen_BRD
  • IRC nick: Kaelaen
« Reply #57 on: July 31, 2013, 01:15:21 am »
The problem arises when people refer to swings based on how they initiate the action (i.e. mouse movement).

This is a problem because there are two types of mouse movement (normal and inverted) for dictating attack direction. As the names suggest, you would move your mouse in completely opposite directions to perform the same attack.

I only brought up the issue because a previous poster actually referred to the incorrect attack direction (based on context of what the poster was addressing). Yes, normally "left swing" and "right swing" are taken to mean where the weapon is held relative to the body, but when people start referring to the opposite direction because they're going by how they move their mouse, then the only solution is to be as specific as possible. Rereading the post just makes me think that that poster had no idea what he was talking about.

Apologies for the side-bar.

I would like to add Cyranule as an example to this explanation, since he's an example of someone who uses inverted mouse attack directions.  To him if you described flicking your mouse to the left to do a left swing he'd be confused, because to him what you're describing is a right swing assuming you're not using inverted attack directions.  To him at least, the direction the attack is going is how you describe your attack, not the direction it's initiated.

Basically sure most people will know what you're talking about, but there's always those people who's brains work backwards to worry about.  Oh god, am I endorsing political correctness?  fml.
-idlewind

Offline Dan lol

• Count
  • Renown: 294
  • Infamy: 20
  • cRPG Player
  • ROLLINROLLINROLLINROLLIN
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: If you can't handle me at my durst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my fredst.
« Reply #58 on: July 31, 2013, 01:22:05 am »
+2
If one way is normal and the other is described as inverted, then there is definitely a standard to what you should be calling them

JABONRA
His mother's asshole, I tragedy

Offline Haboe

• King
  • Renown: 1090
  • Infamy: 331
  • Born with a shield on my back. Difficult birth.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Haboe
« Reply #59 on: July 31, 2013, 01:42:13 am »
Curious to 2h trust sweetspot compared to 1h and pole. Got anything interesting for us there?