Author Topic: Why oh why are 2h and pole arms still OP?  (Read 22434 times)

Offline Paroxysm

• Peasant
  • Renown: 3
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Why oh why are 2h and pole arms still OP?
« Reply #60 on: May 12, 2011, 10:21:36 am »
bleh i was very mediocre as a 2hander but once i got my 1hander groove on I found it easier and more rewarding, esp with a pick which is a really fun playstyle imo. here's a small hint: most players, including good ones, have trouble blocking overheads, use them a lot.

i have a sneaking suspicion that all shielders complaining about 2hand/pole being faster just aren't attacking correctly after a block. if you wait for the block sound to drop shield you're doing it wrong and will get spammed, simple as that. if you do it right you will always be able to counter attack after a block barring circumstances like getting out-footworked and circled or wearing very heavy armor with not enough wpf.

Offline Cepeshi

• Earl
  • Renown: 467
  • Infamy: 200
  • cRPG Player
  • Relax, it is just a life...
    • View Profile
    • Wanna work with me? Ping for more info!
  • Faction: Deserters
  • Game nicks: Fapulena, Useless
  • IRC nick: Cepeshi
« Reply #61 on: May 12, 2011, 11:21:20 am »
You guys are funny...

what amazes me is that NO-ONE yet mentioned tincans with shield and sword...cmon, we are seeing even those on servers quite a lot (at least on EU i encounter swordboarders with transitional, sometimes even better). The thing is, every single spec has the option to play with full plate, the fact you dont do it does not mean it is overpowered.

Yesterday i pulled out my tripple heirloomed gothic with bevor and had quite a good score on some maps, bare on mind i use that occasionally, mostly running around in something softer. Not to speak that with the pierce bow i got shot for half HP with ONE arrow, in tripple loomed plate, bodyshot...

To all complaining about tincans, i got this short guide:
1) buy plate armor
2) wear it
3) get blamed for no skill

And i dare you to call lets say Georges noob, he is running round with flamberge and plate, and damn, everytime i see him i got shivers :-D

From my point of view (played like 8gens 2her, one gen shielder, cav and archer, so i have small overview), swordboarders whining about 2hers should really l2p. Yes, there are some weapons designed for shieldcrushing, but cmon, what you expect when a huge axe hits your wooden shield?

The only thing that concerns me is the fact polearms seem to have slightly higher dmg than 2hers, in many cases higher speed even, the stun and range outreaching 2hers (not taking flamberge as usual 2her). Why is that? Why faster, more dmging, longer at the same time?

One comparision: GLA vs Masterwork Highland Claymore, claymore has 2 more speed, less range, same dmg as not loomed GLA...at least swing one + bonus against shield. I did not see reasoning of nerfing sword dmg, but the more i cannot understand what made the dev let polearms as they are now.

Some combination of gear and weaponry will always look over the edge, but afterall its all about learning how to counter different people/playstyle/gear setup.

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #62 on: May 12, 2011, 01:11:32 pm »
The only thing that concerns me is the fact polearms seem to have slightly higher dmg than 2hers, in many cases higher speed even, the stun and range outreaching 2hers (not taking flamberge as usual 2her). Why is that? Why faster, more dmging, longer at the same time?

One comparision: GLA vs Masterwork Highland Claymore, claymore has 2 more speed, less range, same dmg as not loomed GLA...at least swing one + bonus against shield. I did not see reasoning of nerfing sword dmg, but the more i cannot understand what made the dev let polearms as they are now.

Bolded the wrong parts. The grip on polearms make them lose a lot of their length.
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline Siiem

• Heretic
  • Duke
  • Renown: 611
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 12, 2011, 05:08:39 pm »
But without the shield, why use the sword?

Try it, you would be suprised.

Offline _GTX_

• I <3 Shemaforash
  • Duke
  • Renown: 535
  • Infamy: 960
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • O===((:::::::::::::::>
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kalmarunionen
  • Game nicks: GTX
  • IRC nick: GTX
« Reply #64 on: May 12, 2011, 06:15:40 pm »
Bolded the wrong parts. The grip on polearms make them lose a lot of their length.

I tested stab on DGS compared to glaive swing. Glaive swing had more range.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Vanular

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • cRPG Player
  • And a good day to you, good sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 12, 2011, 06:27:48 pm »
I tested stab on DGS compared to glaive swing. Glaive swing had more range.

What's your point??

Polearms lose ~20 range, depending on your swing direction.

Glaive is 160 range, DGS is 124 range. Obviously Glaive will be longer. Try to compare Great long Axe (125) to Danish Great Sword (124). Heck I bet DGS will outreach all the Poleaxes.
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Offline Corrado_Decimo

• Baron
  • Renown: 109
  • Infamy: 55
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Grey Order
  • Game nicks: Corrado_the_Grey, Bodyguard_the_Grey, Sniper_IV_the_Grey, Ston3rh, Hopleet
« Reply #66 on: May 12, 2011, 06:32:01 pm »
What's your point??

Polearms lose ~20 range, depending on your swing direction.

Glaive is 160 range, DGS is 124 range. Obviously Glaive will be longer. Try to compare Great long Axe (125) to Danish Great Sword (124). Heck I bet DGS will outreach all the Poleaxes.

but the DGS haven't shieldbreaker bonus and do quite less cut damage.

Offline Vanular

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • cRPG Player
  • And a good day to you, good sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 12, 2011, 06:34:22 pm »
but the DGS haven't shieldbreaker bonus and do quite less cut damage.

Glaive has no shield bonus, less speed and less damage.

Poleaxes and GLA might have shield bonus and GLA has superior damage. But GLA is also way shorter (Outranged by a few 1handers I'm sure) and has a blunt stab of 15.

And I'm not saying DGS is better ... just balanced. 
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 06:39:46 pm by Vanular »
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Offline Corrado_Decimo

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Corrado_the_Grey, Bodyguard_the_Grey, Sniper_IV_the_Grey, Ston3rh, Hopleet
« Reply #68 on: May 12, 2011, 06:40:31 pm »
You guys are funny...

what amazes me is that NO-ONE yet mentioned tincans with shield and sword...cmon, we are seeing even those on servers quite a lot (at least on EU i encounter swordboarders with transitional, sometimes even better). The thing is, every single spec has the option to play with full plate, the fact you dont do it does not mean it is overpowered.

Yesterday i pulled out my tripple heirloomed gothic with bevor and had quite a good score on some maps, bare on mind i use that occasionally, mostly running around in something softer. Not to speak that with the pierce bow i got shot for half HP with ONE arrow, in tripple loomed plate, bodyshot...

To all complaining about tincans, i got this short guide:
1) buy plate armor
2) wear it
3) get blamed for no skill

And i dare you to call lets say Georges noob, he is running round with flamberge and plate, and damn, everytime i see him i got shivers :-D

From my point of view (played like 8gens 2her, one gen shielder, cav and archer, so i have small overview), swordboarders whining about 2hers should really l2p. Yes, there are some weapons designed for shieldcrushing, but cmon, what you expect when a huge axe hits your wooden shield?

Some combination of gear and weaponry will always look over the edge, but afterall its all about learning how to counter different people/playstyle/gear setup.

i don't really know how people can be comfortable in really heavy armor. you trade mobility (a lot of mobility...) for say 15 armor points. and with all the pierce/blunt spam, imo is WAY better quicker moves, less time to reinforce or hunt down runners, the speed you need to have to avoid being surrounded.

i have a lordly studded leather over mail (50 body 17 legs 13.5 kilos) and is my highest weight limit i can afford when adding claymore+mallet or shield weight with 6 ath.

i really can't get why some people go around with loomed full plate when 2 placed morningstar/corbin swings kill you anyway.

only reason to go plate is when the ranged spam is that much. and again... darts and javelins are pierce... so.

Offline Corrado_Decimo

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 12, 2011, 06:43:59 pm »
Glaive has no shield bonus, less speed and less damage.

Poleaxes and GLA might have shield bonus and GLA has superior damage. But GLA is also way shorter (Outranged by a few 1handers I'm sure) and has a blunt stab of 15.

And I'm not saying DGS is better ... just balanced.

yeah i was talking about GLA and DGS. DGS have more thrust range while slightly more swing range. GLA have higher damage, shieldbreaking and STUN. don't forget about it and shieldbreaking nowadays with the barmace/mallet nerf.

anyway i agree that are balanced. as swords are anyway better at dueling/killing other 2handers while GLA sweeps works for teamplay. break shields, stuns ages.

Offline v/onMega

• Count
  • Renown: 234
  • Infamy: 67
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bearzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_vMega
« Reply #70 on: May 12, 2011, 06:47:34 pm »
i don't really know how people can be comfortable in really heavy armor. you trade mobility (a lot of mobility...) for say 15 armor points. and with all the pierce/blunt spam, imo is WAY better quicker moves, less time to reinforce or hunt down runners, the speed you need to have to avoid being surrounded.

i have a lordly studded leather over mail (50 body 17 legs 13.5 kilos) and is my highest weight limit i can afford when adding claymore+mallet or shield weight with 6 ath.

i really can't get why some people go around with loomed full plate when 2 placed morningstar/corbin swings kill you anyway.

only reason to go plate is when the ranged spam is that much. and again... darts and javelins are pierce... so.

Another proof that you know what you are talking about.

Got a lordly heraldic with tabard 49 body and thick plate mittens 12 body.

Weight is low, protection is good, speed is nice.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 06:48:52 pm by v/onMega »

Offline Reinhardt

• Count
  • Renown: 274
  • Infamy: 84
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Crusaders of Acre
  • IRC nick: Reinhardt
« Reply #71 on: May 12, 2011, 06:52:47 pm »
2hers are faster than 1hers quite often. It's depressing.
"A leader is a dealer in hope."

Offline Siiem

• Heretic
  • Duke
  • Renown: 611
  • Infamy: 129
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 12, 2011, 08:53:39 pm »
2hers are faster than 1hers quite often. It's depressing.

More like never.

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 12, 2011, 09:01:57 pm »
Stamina mechanism would stop the pointless spam, but it's not wanted by 90% of the community, whatever the reasons...
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline Vicious666

• Baron
  • Renown: 88
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player
  • becouse an image is worth a thousand words
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Vicious666_xXx
  • IRC nick: Vicious666
« Reply #74 on: May 12, 2011, 09:12:53 pm »
2h are faster than 1hander

simply 1hander think that they can outspam 2h only by click click, + have shield  so 90% of  1h+shield suck

thats why in eu,  top 1hander are 5-10 ppl and        all other who top score are 2h-/pole .

if we make here a list of 100 top  player in eu crpg, 90 are 2h/pole/archer       10 are 1hander