Author Topic: Why oh why are 2h and pole arms still OP?  (Read 21079 times)

Offline BlackMilk

• Polearm Lover
  • Earl
  • Renown: 370
  • Infamy: 144
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: el_Banduri
Re: Why oh why are 2h and pole arms still OP?
« Reply #240 on: July 17, 2011, 07:04:43 pm »
this is a fact. Also there is a whole clan where the uniform is:

- Elite scimitar
- Huscarl/Norman/Knightly shield
- Barbutte

100 golds to who guess the name.
The Gay Order

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: July 17, 2011, 07:08:38 pm »
The Gh3ys?

Offline Warcat

• Earl
  • Renown: 396
  • Infamy: 40
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Warcat_ Village_Elder Merchant_of_Tulga Tavern_Keeper Guild_Master Ramun_The_Slave_Trader
« Reply #242 on: July 17, 2011, 07:49:17 pm »
ive seen 1h topping boards today too

not as many as 2h of course but... this is how people usually play warband multiplayer;

1) Either start as archer or 1h/shield or switch to them after being owned and unable to manual block
2) Become really good at their chosen class
3) Go to duel servers to become even better
4) Some decide to go 2h/pole for more "challenge" (not saying 1h is easy to be good at, just easier to play without manual block)
5) The players who have been playing for some time and have put time into duel servers and learning new tricks now top score boards

This is how I see it, or it could all be bs.

I've never really looked at it that way. As for how new player to cRPG and warband would play, currently I couldn't possibly see a new player at archer not freak out when they hit one person 4 times and have 8 other shots dodged. They'd likely would want to move on to something else fast. So they try out Crossbow and play that for a while. Since a crossbowman can afford to improve melee some, they'll also get a one or two handed weapon. Over time they'll have opportunities when the melee is needed and they might even go on duel servers some. If they get tired of various ranged stumbling and wearing them down, they go shielder, otherwise they move more toward2h or polearms and get better over time or get stuck in a world of mediocrity and lag.
Personally my 2h is the alt of choice whenever I want to get some kills. Ath builds are great againist archers.
In memory of Fallen_Warcat_, member of Fallen Brigade, ruler of Zagush
Tavern_Keeper #1 NA shielder
Strategus City Improvement Project

Offline Wookimonsta

• Hoopy frood
  • Count
  • Renown: 206
  • Infamy: 143
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: July 19, 2011, 12:28:02 pm »
you get autoblock, we dont
you get to block arrows, we dont
you get to facehug, we dont (as easily)
you can stand and soak up dmg with your shield, we can't

so you have your advantages, we have ours.
[14:36] <@chadz> when you login there is a message "your life as horse archer was too depressing for you. you decided to commit suicide. please create a new char"
<dexxtaa> I just saw nakey ladies and I left
<@Fasader> dexxtaa is clearly gay

Offline Lech

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 123
  • Infamy: 348
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: July 19, 2011, 02:05:38 pm »
No, this is a terrible opinion, this obviously proves that it is imbalanced, you can't outplay someone who is faster, more powerful and out ranges you.

You can outplay him. Hell, i outranged long spear with my italian sword and 6 ath.

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #245 on: July 19, 2011, 04:27:34 pm »
+1
you get autoblock, we dont
you get to block arrows, we dont
you get to facehug, we dont (as easily)
you can stand and soak up dmg with your shield, we can't

so you have your advantages, we have ours.

Fixed.  As a 2h/polearm player I have to be honest:  2hers can facehug the best out of all the weapon types in the game.  1hers glance, polearms glance.  2hers lightsaber through people like butter at nose-to-nose-touching facehug range.
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: July 19, 2011, 04:49:53 pm »
+1
Fixed.  As a 2h/polearm player I have to be honest:  2hers can facehug the best out of all the weapon types in the game.  1hers glance, polearms glance.  2hers lightsaber through people like butter at nose-to-nose-touching facehug range.

This is very true.

Offline Wookimonsta

• Hoopy frood
  • Count
  • Renown: 206
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: July 19, 2011, 04:56:29 pm »
must be just me then, i am terrible at facehugging. But then again, i never did it since the recent changes to armor values. So i guess there might be less glancing now.
[14:36] <@chadz> when you login there is a message "your life as horse archer was too depressing for you. you decided to commit suicide. please create a new char"
<dexxtaa> I just saw nakey ladies and I left
<@Fasader> dexxtaa is clearly gay

Offline DrKronic

• Knight
  • Renown: 67
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player
  • Arch Villain of cRPG
    • View Profile
  • Faction: I do what I want
« Reply #248 on: July 19, 2011, 05:25:03 pm »

total lie after the soak nerf 1h's never glance, I mean I don't get glanced by guys that obviously have no PS in 70 armor, so I know personally this is complete BS, maybe it was posted before this last patch

but I doubt it, and Gorath is never honest, 1h is best facehugger in entire game because left swing/overhead spam from 1h's basically always lands on your face

2h/polearms hit your midsection, why don't you test this in duel, just see where the basic swings land you'll see I'm right
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 05:27:13 pm by DrKronic »
Greed is for amateurs...Chaos, Disorder, Anarchy now that's fun!

Offline _JoG_

• Noble
  • Renown: 20
  • Infamy: 9
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Swordsman for hire
  • Game nicks: Givi
« Reply #249 on: July 19, 2011, 05:43:25 pm »
Honestly, have you ever tried that? Because I cannot do it with my longsword, really...

On a topic. People who see me on NA servers know I'm playing as a hand-and-a-half sword user most part of the time. Yesterday I tried a new 1h+shiled build on my STF character. Since I only created it a day ago initially I did not have any money except for the original 10k you get after skipping the fun. During the night, I first used equip worth 9k and then switched to 16k. Even with this equip I managed to get a KDR > 3 on the battle server even though in most cases I just charged straight ahead. I can hardly imagine that I could get anywhere close to that while using the same cheap stuff on my 2hander (and usually I'm way more careful when playing as a 2h guy), and you, NA guys, probably know what I'm capable of.
BTW, surprisingly, with 7 ps the only kind of armor that my regular scimitar (30c only!!!) glanced from was the black plate.

1h is also very good for experienced duelists, since to my opinion it's the only kind of crpg weapons you can chamberblock quick feints with.

Bottomline: 1hander is still the best choice for both veterans and new players, especially in terms of price to value ratio. Given the fact that we still don't have NA Strategus server, I'm seriously considering switching my main character to 1h+shield (at least until we get our own server), because I can hardly block anything manually on the laggy crappy EU server.

2h/polearms hit your midsection, why don't you test this in duel, just see where the basic swings land you'll see I'm right
Well, actually you still can hit someone's head with a 2h/pole side swing, but it's more difficult, since your camera has to look upwards.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 05:50:07 pm by _JoG_ »

Offline DrKronic

• Knight
  • Renown: 67
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player
  • Arch Villain of cRPG
    • View Profile
  • Faction: I do what I want
« Reply #250 on: July 19, 2011, 05:49:00 pm »
Honestly, have you ever tried that? Because I cannot do it with my longsword, really...

On a topic. People who see me on NA servers know I'm playing as a hand-and-a-half sword user most part of the time. Yesterday I tried a new 1h+shiled build on my STF character. Since I only created it a day ago initially I did not have any money except for the original 10k you get after skipping the fun. During the night, I first used equip worth 9k and then switched to 16k. Even with this equip I managed to get a KDR > 3 on the battle server even though in most cases I just charged straight ahead. I can hardly imagine that I could get anywhere close to that while using the same cheap stuff on my 2hander (and usually I'm way more careful when playing as a 2h guy), and you, NA guys, probably know what I'm capable of.
BTW, surprisingly, with 7 ps the only kind of armor that my regular scimitar (30c only!!!) glanced from was the black plate.

Bottomline: 1hander is still the best choice for both veterans and new players, especially in terms of price to value ratio. Given the fact that we still don't have NA strat server, I'm seriously considering switching my main to 1h+shield (at least until we get one), because I can hardly block anything manually on the laggy crappy EU server.

yep, I also have a 24 15 shielder, total easy mode, because of the omniblock and left/overheads falling on face factor

also the soak NERF came with a HUGE reduce buff, which means for people that don't understand game mechanics CUT was nerfed highly(because reduce affects it wholly), blunt partially nerfed(blunt used to best because of soak being most of armor) and pierce got a buff, so in other words Polearms thrust got a buff, bec got a buff, xbows got a buff, 2h swords got a major nerf between the speed reduction this last patch on favorites like miaodao and of course the overall heirloom speed nerf

its a better time than ever to be a 1h phag with a steel pick, I looked and it looked like they were individual buffs to 1h weapons as well(or they've sneaked a number of them into 100+ speed ratings)
Greed is for amateurs...Chaos, Disorder, Anarchy now that's fun!

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #251 on: July 19, 2011, 06:20:56 pm »
What's the reasoning for polearm stun? I think the pikes should probably have some of it (but reduced), but not many of the other types of really good polearm weapons.

Even with the awlpike at 1wpf, that stun when I hit people is so ridiculous, I can't imagine what it would be like on the higher tier polearm weapons. I can hit them with the awlpike, switch my weapon, and swing, and sometimes they're even too slow to react to it.

The new soak/reduce patch also made it so bad angle swings/stabs STILL stun people, and that's enough for teammates to kill. Even stun without damage is really beneficial, and that's when you supposedly messed up.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 06:23:12 pm by san. »

Offline Thucydides

• Baron
  • Renown: 129
  • Infamy: 28
  • cRPG Player
  • I shat Uranus
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Thucydides
« Reply #252 on: July 19, 2011, 07:01:59 pm »
good thing i know how to hold attacks

Offline Corrado_Decimo

• Baron
  • Renown: 109
  • Infamy: 55
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Grey Order
  • Game nicks: Corrado_the_Grey, Bodyguard_the_Grey, Sniper_IV_the_Grey, Ston3rh, Hopleet
« Reply #253 on: July 19, 2011, 07:39:06 pm »

as polearms stunlock you (glaive, awlpike, LHB, etc.), have feintspamming axes and poleaxes (like LWA, GLA, german poleaxe, poleaxe, elegant poleaxe... no unbalanced stat), can cover dps role (glaive, GLA, german, GLB spammers, so on...), anticav role AND excellent poke role with 245 and 300 centimeters long pikes, shieldbreaking role (see above), can-openers (bec de corbin 93 speed and not UNBALANCED... morningstar instead is short, slow and UNBALANCED), even blockcrushers role (long maul). only thing a polearm player should worry about is to not carry a too long stick for siege walls. but even a strength polearm build can be quite fast if you count the long stun between swings and the weight of the weapon stunning lighter weapons with overhead.

i know you rage about 2handed elitist BS but this time, the real OPness is polearm.

EDIT:

and we'll go on repeating all the same old shit over and over... until you get it.

Offline Thucydides

• Baron
  • Renown: 129
  • Infamy: 28
  • cRPG Player
  • I shat Uranus
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Thucydides
« Reply #254 on: July 19, 2011, 07:46:39 pm »
+1
Everything is OP goddamnit