Author Topic: Guide request: Make your own banner  (Read 1993 times)

Offline Rico

• King
  • Renown: 1021
  • Infamy: 158
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rico, Mila
Guide request: Make your own banner
« on: July 20, 2013, 10:29:50 pm »
+2
Hello!

There are plenty of threads about having your own banner etc., but I did not find one that explains how to make one yourself. I am not talking about the auctions where you can buy a banner slot, but about the design of the banner itself. How do you create a banner when you only have a basic .jgp file to start with, and how do you upload it and so on?

Please show me a thread that explains this, or if there is none, I would appreciate if someone wrote a guide.

Sorry if I am just too stupid to find it!

Sankyu
Streaming cRPG, Supreme Commander and Age of Empires II on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/HeavenTV

Offline PanPan

• Baron
  • Renown: 98
  • Infamy: 70
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Guide request: Make your own banner
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2013, 10:51:24 pm »
ups wrong
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 10:57:38 pm by PanPan »

Offline Bryggan

• Marshall
  • Renown: 727
  • Infamy: 207
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: 13 Knights, HCE
  • Game nicks: Jerk, Asshole, Dumbass, etc.
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 11:00:17 pm »
I'd like to know this too.  I have a banner made (Thanks Delson, you Heraldic genius), but need to know how to upload it.  Plus I switched my hero just to realize that he is now just a supporter (I thought he would automatically become leader of the clan).  Can a mere supporter buy a slot?  I'd hate to lose all that gold.

Offline Canuck

• Earl
  • Renown: 482
  • Infamy: 50
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Canuck
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2013, 12:19:59 am »
+1
When my buddies and I had a clan we would just get an image off the internet and edit it to make it look how you want in paint or something (or get someone to do that for you) make sure it's at the ratio 132x340. I don't know if it needs to be, but mine are all PNG. Then upload it to a place like imgur or photobucket or whatever. If you're a leader of the clan (or a high enough rank whatever that is) that you can click the banner tab up at the top of the clan page, then click "images" and I think you can then use the link to upload your banner. I should also add that to make sure the back of the heraldic matches your colours properly, you can sample it easily in gimp or paint to get the hex code and then type that in on the banner page as well.

Bryggan, I had that problem too. I just use my alt to do clan things. If you want to buy a banner slot I would transfer the gold over to your high ranking alt. Alternatively you can promote one of your better clan mates to rank 10 as co-leader and leave the clan with all your characters, then reapply as your hero. Also there is no way to reduce someone from rank 10 once they've got it aside from them leaving or reranking themselves, or that claim leadership thing. And I'm not too familiar with how that works.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 12:23:18 am by Canuck »

Offline Rico

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2013, 09:38:48 am »
Doesn't it have like a flag-texture on top? Looking at cRPG banners that people upload, they actually look like cloth. Is this added automatically after you have a PNG file of the size you described?
Streaming cRPG, Supreme Commander and Age of Empires II on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/HeavenTV

Offline Canuck

• Earl
  • Renown: 482
  • Infamy: 50
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Canuck
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2013, 10:27:46 am »
+1
Good question. It isn't automatically done unfortunately. I've actually never been able to do that myself! One of these guys may be able to help you out better with that if you were to send them a PM, because they do some very nice custom banners with that texture.

Sparvico - http://forum.meleegaming.com/index.php?action=profile;u=20371
Elindor - http://forum.meleegaming.com/index.php?action=profile;u=9623
Delson - http://forum.meleegaming.com/index.php?action=profile;u=19885

Offline Sparvico

• Marshall
  • Renown: 976
  • Infamy: 174
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Steam ID: Sparvico
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mossbacks
  • Game nicks: Sparvico et al.
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2013, 12:19:53 pm »
+8
http://forum.meleegaming.com/guides/guide-how-do-i-make-a-banner-for-my-clan-(with-a-fairly-easy-premade-template!)/

Most everything you'll want to know is in that thread, but I will elaborate a bit.

To design a banner you need an image editing software. Photoshop is the best one, so if you have access to it I would use that. If however you are poor like me then http://www.getpaint.net/ or http://www.gimp.org/ are to decent free alternatives (I myself use paint).

Once you have that you'll need to choose what image you want to use. I'll pick a cross potent as an example.
(click to show/hide)

Now you need to open it with your imaging software and re-size it or otherwise adjust it so that it will fit on a banner 132x340 pixels (the banner size for cRPG). In the case of our cross potent I'm going to to go with  81x81 pixels so that there will be ample room on the sides and so it will look better on heraldic armors.
(click to show/hide)

Next you'll want to pick what color you want the background to be. First create a new image in your editing software that has the dimensions 132x340, then using the fill color option make the background the color you want. For our example I will use a nice dark red.
(click to show/hide)

Now you will want to go back to your re-sized image and using a selection tool select all of the image, then copy it. Now go back to your background and paste in as a new layer . This will allow you to adjust where the re-sized image sits on the banner so you can center it. Once you are satisfied with the centering merge the two layers together (the option should be in a little layer box).
(click to show/hide)

Now to add a bit of shading and texture to the banner you will need a template file. You can copy and paste this one here:
(click to show/hide)
Now open this, select all, and copy it in as a new layer just like you did with your re-sized image. There should somewhere be an option to adjust the opacity of the template layer. Look for something called layer properties or opacity. Adjust it till you are satisfied.
(click to show/hide)

Now you have a banner! Yay!

To get your banner into the game you must first buy a banner slot at auction (and you must be in a clan when you do it). They usually go for around 100-150k these days. Once you've got the banner and the banner slot all you have to do is be the clan leader and on the clan page it will have a banner customization option. To get the correct hex code (color code) for the back of your heraldic armor simply use a color picker in your image editing software and copy the hex (if it does not show a hex try clicking more options or something akin to that).

Apologies if that was too dumb-downed. Hopefully it was at least helpful.

A couple key things to remeber:
  • Warband does not do detail in banners. If you want something clean looking keep it simple.
  • There are technically banner rules, and if you have a bad banner for to long it may get purged. So be wary (cmp is really inconsistent with it though).
  • Colors do not always show up in game as you think they would, so some trial and error may be necessary.
  • If you are new to image editing you may want to just dink around learning all the buttons for awhile. There are also some good YouTube guides for most software. The Google is our friend.
Mossback_Westwood: "I swear 2 my semitic God if you give me this bundle of sticks's address I'll cut off his ear and eat it"

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Delson

• Earl
  • Renown: 418
  • Infamy: 24
  • cRPG Player
  • NA or Any?
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Delson
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2013, 04:04:28 pm »
+5
Okay so this is what I use as the texture for the banners:

What you need to do is put it above all the other layers and then (While having the layer selected) change the Opacity to 51

And if that does not work then I will give you my Banner Template file

Offline Elindor

• King
  • Renown: 1178
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Caelitus mihi vires
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Order of the Holy Guard
  • Game nicks: Elindor
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2013, 05:16:10 am »
+1
I think these guys have answered most of the questions...is there anything else you are looking for Panuru?
Elindor, Archon of the Holy Guard
Holy Guard Thread :HERE
Banner Shop : HERE // Map Thread : HERE

Offline Rico

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2013, 12:06:11 am »
+1
Thank you very much! Now is the time for me to try out. You will hear of my success or failure :D

Offline Rico

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2013, 01:35:54 am »
+1
Perfect guide guys, I am done and it looks nice!

Offline Sparvico

• Marshall
  • Renown: 976
  • Infamy: 174
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Steam ID: Sparvico
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mossbacks
  • Game nicks: Sparvico et al.
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2013, 09:12:49 am »
glad to hear it.  :D
Mossback_Westwood: "I swear 2 my semitic God if you give me this bundle of sticks's address I'll cut off his ear and eat it"

Offline Rico

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2013, 12:31:12 pm »
+4

(click to show/hide)