Author Topic: Need help with computer :)  (Read 959 times)

Offline Alec

• Baron
  • Renown: 141
  • Infamy: 101
  • cRPG Player
  • Caval-reee!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kingdom of Northumbria
  • Game nicks: Bittersweet
  • IRC nick: Alec
Need help with computer :)
« on: July 17, 2013, 01:01:45 pm »
+1
hi all,
I want to build my own desktop but i'm not sure of the parts. Someboy here who can help me?

The hardware and OS is listed below, but i'm not sure it fits with eachother and if the parts are ok.
I dont have a Graphic card listed at the moment cause i'm not sure wich one to choose. The motherboard has 2 PCIe x16 slots.
Also i would like 3 monitors but i'm not completely sure know how to connect them :) and if there are missing parts.

I want a pc that can easily play Crysis3 or Battlefield 3 at highest graphical settings but it also need a lot of calculating power if you know what i mean :) Feel free to add forgotten items ;)

Hardware:
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 (2x PCIe x16, onborad, SLI, CrossFire)

CPU: Intel core i7-3770k (3500 MHz)
Coolers: Zalman CNPS11X Extreme (x2) (socket: 775, AM2, AM2+, 1366, 1156, AM3, 1155, FM1, 1150)

HDD: Samsung HN-M101MMB (1 TB) (Ms/Cache/rmp: 12/8/5400)
SSD: Adata ASP900S3-128GM-C (Sata 600, SP900, MLC, TRIM)
Memory: Corsair 32GB DDR-1600 Quad-Kit (timings: CL10 10-10-27)

Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster s22b350h (x3) (reaciontime 2ms) (resolution 1920x1080 pixels)
Desktop Adapter: Intel Pro/1000 GT
Powersupply: Zalman ZM700-GT

DVD/CD: Samsung SH-118AB/BEBE
Keyboard: Logitech Wireless Illuminated Keyboard K800
Audio: ASUS Xonar D2X/XDT (1x PCIe) (soundchip AV200)
Case: Aerocool Mechatron White Window Edition

Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, Kali linux 64 bit.

Hope you can help, The_Restless_Killer.
"Death smiles at us all. All a man can do is smile back."

Offline Armpit_Sweat

• High Lord of the Spam
  • King
  • Renown: 1417
  • Infamy: 154
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Armpit_Sweat, My_horses_name_is_Rebecca
Re: Need help with computer :)
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 01:41:45 pm »
+1
Desktop Adapter: Intel Pro/1000 GT

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

If you are so rich, buy a GTX 690.

Spam at The Temple of Spam

Offline wayyyyyne

• Marshall
  • Renown: 725
  • Infamy: 233
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2013, 01:55:20 pm »
32gig of RAM is such a waste of money (and RAM)

« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 02:08:07 pm by wayyyyyne »

Offline Vermilion

• Count
  • Renown: 208
  • Infamy: 64
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Vermilion
  • IRC nick: Vermilion
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 02:41:16 pm »
hi all,
I want to build my own desktop but i'm not sure of the parts. Someboy here who can help me?

The hardware and OS is listed below, but i'm not sure it fits with eachother and if the parts are ok.
I dont have a Graphic card listed at the moment cause i'm not sure wich one to choose. The motherboard has 2 PCIe x16 slots.
Also i would like 3 monitors but i'm not completely sure know how to connect them :) and if there are missing parts.

I want a pc that can easily play Crysis3 or Battlefield 3 at highest graphical settings but it also need a lot of calculating power if you know what i mean :) Feel free to add forgotten items ;)

Hardware:

Coolers: Zalman CNPS11X Extreme (x2) (socket: 775, AM2, AM2+, 1366, 1156, AM3, 1155, FM1, 1150)

Powersupply: Zalman ZM700-GT

As far as will it all work together it looks good...

Unless you're going to OC and do some serious video editing, graphic design etc I don't think you're ever going to benefit from its performance... Like driving a Ferrari around town. 
Personally I think a I5 and 8GB RAM will be enough (over this you're just spending more money for something you're not going to use.) With that you will be able to play your games on the highest setting (an you could still OC and get yet more performance out of it but probably wouldn't be needed/used).

I would get 2x 4GB Ram modules (total of 8GB) then you have the possibility to upgrade to a total of 16GB is you ever wanted by just adding two more 4GB sticks (but if you are using over 6GB RAM I would be surprised.)

I would also get a better PSU (it's the most important part of any system). I would stick to corsair hx,tx,ax models only, seasonic, xfx or thermaltake toughpower series only. Which ever you choice I would make sure it comes with a minimum of 5/7 year warranty. Not 3 like the one you listed.

As for wattage, pick your graphics card first, this will determine the minimum wattage you need. (no point buying a 600W PSU then deciding you want to use crossfire and need a minimum of 800W)

Offline Alec

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
  • Caval-reee!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2013, 03:23:07 pm »
ok with 8GB RAM and a better PSU and an Asus GTX680-DC2O-2GD5 graphic card, the total cost is +/- 2000 euro. Is it worth it?
And yes i'llu se this PC for programming, and graphical design later on.

Offline Vermilion

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2013, 04:37:46 pm »
Well, with that set-up you will be able to play the latest games for quite a long time..
If you're also going to be programming and doing graphical design then over time its use could effectively 'pay for itself'

But it entirely depends what you're using it for and how often you use it.. I mean if its to play cRPG and Battlefield 3 at the weekends then it's completely over kill and you could spend a lot less money to play these games on the highest setting. While if you are going to be using it everyday for the next 3 years then you will benefit from spending the extra money now because you won't have to upgrade an component later on.

Is this your first time building a computer? If so you have got a lot of expensive parts here you could damage...
If so, I would advise at the minimum reading through the tech forums on first time builds and watch a load of youtube videos on how to build (videos produced by the manufactures of parts... not some 8 year old american kid who doesn't know what they are doing, there are a lot of amateurs on youtube... check the quality of the filming, has it been done by a professional or a home camera).
However, the best option would be to have a friend who knows what they are doing supervise your first build.. not only could it save you a lot of time (doing things in the wrong order and having to redo everything) but it could save you from damaging a part.

Finally, before you buy anything, I would but a list (with links) of everything you plan to buy and what you plan to do with it on a tech site. Not only could people advise you further about which components but you may find they know a good site to order them from (a trust worthy company). Also they will be able to help you with any trouble shooting when you first set it up.

I recommend http://www.techguy.org/ it's a brilliant site with lots of very helpful people. Start a new thread in the hardware section called 'new build' or 'first build' which ever is the most appropriate for your skill level.

Offline Senni__Ti

• Earl
  • Renown: 472
  • Infamy: 23
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Senni_Ti
  • IRC nick: Senni
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2013, 05:02:24 pm »
+1
RAM
If your planning on video editing or rendering etc (RAM intensive stuff), then getting 2 x 8gb (16gb) isn't a bad idea (as you then have space later on to upgrade if you need it). (Gaming is EASILY covered by 8gb = 2 x 4gb)

GPU
Also the GTX 680 = GTX 770
They are exactly the same other than the 770 is clocked higher stock (770 is also cheaper).

However, if your going to be using 3 screens, then a single gpu isn't going to be enough. A GTX titan can get a reasonable framerate, but it's very expensive. (You may be able to get away with it on battlefield though)
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/crysis-3-performance-benchmark-gaming,3451-7.html

Depending on your budget:

2 x GTX 770 SLI, ~£600 ~694 EURO
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/2gb-msi-gtx-770-gaming-pcie-30-%28x16%29-7010mhz-gddr5-gpu-1098mhz-boost-1150mhz-cores-1536
Not sure where you are located

You could look at 2 x GTX 780 if you can spend a little more (~£1000), or 2 x GTX 760 (~£430) if you want so spend a little less.

Brand is also important, some brands allow you to use watercooling, some do not. And some have great RMA services (if it breaks), while others do not.

NVIDIA wise:
EVGA seems to be the best all round - allows watercooling, great RMA, I think it has a department in germany.
MSI - Doesn't allow watercooling (voids warranty), great RMA again.
not really sure on the rest, ASUS is very good aswell, not sure about watercooling (I believe it allows it).

AMD wise:
swap EVGA with Sapphire, pretty much same story.

Power calc:
http://support.asus.com/powersupply.aspx

It is quite a large over estimate:
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/geforce_gtx_780_review,9.html

CPU
3770k is the unlocked version, you can overclock it. The locked version (3770) is slightly cheaper, but you wouldn't be able to overclock it in the future.
Overclocking requires a decent motherboard and cooling (water cooling is often used). It will generally reduce the lifetime of the CPU and make it run hotter, but it will make it run faster.

The 3770(k) doesn't improve game performance that much currently, it's mainly if you use a lot of multi-threaded programs.
Since you mentioned programing and graphic design, it may be useful. (Also next gen consoles will be using 8 cores and focusing on multi-threading rather than brute force, so it may come in useful.)
Though it is quite a bit more expensive than the i5 (3570[k]) and if your mainly gaming, I'd go with the i5.

Your cooler seems good.

Motherboard
Not had much experience with asrock, but it seems to have a decent amount of sata III + PCIe 3.0 + USB 3.0.

Not sure how it would handle OCing though.

PSU
As Vermilion said, corsair is a decent make and the TX, HX and AX are very good.

Try to get one with the right wattage for your system and enough amps on the rail to cope with the graphics card(s). (Post if unsure)
Also getting a high efficiency is best. (How well it converts AC power from the mains -> usable DC power).

HDD
You could get a faster HDD (5400rpm isn't all that fast), but you do have an SSD, so not huge.

I have not heard of that SSD brand, might be worth looking into it.

Case
Not heard of the brand again, if it has high reviews + decent airflow and fans -> great.

I find Antec and Corsair cases are very good, but they often require you to purchase the fans seperately.

Silverstone are also good.

Finally, wireless keyboard??
Unless your playing 20ft away, wired!
(Slight input lag + changing batteries, up to you in the end obviously ;) )

PS: sorry for the wall :P

Offline Alec

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
  • Caval-reee!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2013, 05:19:12 pm »
thx for all the info guys, i'll look after it and change some things and keep this uptodate. i'm going to use this computer a lot in the near future as i'm studieng programming etc.. :)

btw, any ideas how to setup a dual boot? the tutorials on youtube etc are a bit confusing ;)

Offline Vermilion

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2013, 05:47:02 pm »
thx for all the info guys, i'll look after it and change some things and keep this uptodate. i'm going to use this computer a lot in the near future as i'm studieng programming etc.. :)

btw, any ideas how to setup a dual boot? the tutorials on youtube etc are a bit confusing ;)

Pretty simple, basically when you first partition your SSD split it into two (one section for Windows and another for Linux)

I would install Windows first (easier as its not as dual boot friendly and will want to install as the primary OS) Linux will happily install as a second OS.

I would also give Windows a lot more space (especially if it's going to be your main OS) eg a 320 GB SSD I would give roughly 200Gb to Windows and the remaining ~100Gb to Linux. This is because Windows uses a lot more memory and is more temperamental about the amount of remaining space.

Then when you boot you will have the option of which OS to use. Remember Linux is very good at dealing with other OS.. So if there is files and info you want available on both OS I would save it on Windows (this means you don't necessarily need to have two copies of everything on your HDD which will save you a lot of room)

As I said earlier only use YouTube videos from reliable computer manufactures (parts, programmers etc)

And check forums/blogs etc.. http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/dualboot-windows-linux-oss-computer/ http://lifehacker.com/5403100/dual+boot-windows-7-and-ubuntu-in-perfect-harmony

PERSONALLY - I don't bother with dual boot.. I have a 4GB, 32GB and a 64GB flash drive each has a different Linux on.. I just plug and go when needed, but that's because I don't require linux very often :)

Offline Alec

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
  • Caval-reee!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2013, 07:03:49 pm »
so, this is what i got now:

cooling: Two 'Zalman CNPS11X Extreme (pwn connection)'
GPU: Two 'Sapphire HD 7850 OC (11200-14-20G) (2x DVI, HDMI, Display Port, CrossFireX)
CPU: Intel Core i7-3770k (socket 1155) (FC-LGA4, ivy bridge)
*Boxed cooler ATX layout, PWM
Case: Aerocool mechatron white window edition
*Fan 200mm
*Fan 120mm
HDD: Seagate ST2000DM001 (2 TB) (sata 600, barracuda 7200.14)
SDD: ADATA ASP900S3-128GM-C, 128GB (SATA 600, SP900, MLC, TRIM)
RAM: Corsair 16 GB DDR3-1600 Kit (CML16GX3M2A1600C10, Vengeance LP, XMP)
Motherborad: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 (FW, RAID, Gb-LAN, Sound, ATX)
*Intel® Z77 PCH
*USB 3.0 Controller
*USB 2.0 Controller
*Realtek ALC898
*Broadcom BCM57781
*CPU depending
PSU: Antec HCG-900 (4x PCIe, 900 watt)
Optional: DvD drive, 3 screens: samsung Syncmaster s22b350h.

So, i'm not sure about the PSU and the motherboard. i read some reviews about the Moderboard and it seems to work well with the i7-3770k, OC'd up to 4.2

Offline Micah

• Duke
  • Renown: 539
  • Infamy: 114
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Micah_Senpai_von_Krems Glance_the_Useless_von_Krems Arielle_the_little_Mermaid
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2013, 07:12:13 pm »
Pretty simple, basically when you first partition your SSD split it into two (one section for Windows and another for Linux)
do modern linuxi not require a swap partition anymore these days ? O_o
I am writing long winded essays in shitty english.

Offline Senni__Ti

• Earl
  • (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2013, 07:12:22 pm »
Wouldn't go dual AMD GPU, has significant micro-stutter. (The time difference between frames isn't constant, you may get 60 per second, but there may be half a second between some and 1ms between others)

Also cooler wise, do you mean getting two fans for the cooler? or two coolers?

Offline Alec

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
  • Caval-reee!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2013, 07:15:21 pm »
i heared from a friend i need atleast 2 GPU if i would use 3 monitors. i would like to have 2 coolers, dunno if it fits with the fans

Offline Senni__Ti

• Earl
  • (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2013, 07:30:16 pm »
Get two Nvidia, not AMD.
Single AMD are great, not dual though :/.

Also those coolers are CPU coolers, only one will fit. It goes right ontop of the CPU (make sure your case is wide enough).

There isn't anywhere to put another, what you need is fans, probably 120mm ones.

Offline Alec

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
  • Caval-reee!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2013, 08:02:44 pm »
lol i'm confused now :p whats the best option: 1 amd, or 2 nvidia?