Author Topic: [SUGGESTION] NEW XP SYSTEM: Details inside, along with math and formula.  (Read 607 times)

Offline Lt_Anders

• King
  • Renown: 1049
  • Infamy: 651
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Man, I still play this shit?
    • View Profile
    • Drowtales
  • Faction: Astralis
  • Game nicks: Anders_Astralis
So strudog's post got me thinking. How best to make strat battles give xp to everyone, "punish" heavy armor and "punish" noob killing.

TLDR: MORE XP FOR EVERYONE. Even MORE XP for medium armies, and bonus's to XP to the side that finishes off their enemy quicker.

To calculate your XP, it would be something like this:
Total XP =
(Battle timer*1250 XP + Unused Battle timer* 6000XP + Used Battle Timer * 2750) * (Gear Multi)

Gear Multi would then be defined with a max value of 4.5 and a min value of 3.(At least that's they way I did it for my numbers.)
The math for how to determine gear multi would be thus:
Gear Multi =
4.5 - ( Absoulte value( Average gear cost - Cost per troop of army) / (Average gear cost) *3.5 )

For this equation, the average gear cost was the price of a normal crpg player at which point you break even(35,000 gold) translated into strat gold(35,000/25). The Cost per troop is the Cost of your strat army divided by the total number of troops.

Pretty easy to visualize, i hope.
Example 1:
(click to show/hide)

Example 2:
(click to show/hide)

Example 3(You kill the enemy before time runs out):
(click to show/hide)

Example 4(flag cap half way):
(click to show/hide)

Example 5(#4 but in Avearge armor):
(click to show/hide)

Example 6(You get flag capped with crappy peasent gear)
(click to show/hide)

Example 7 (Peasent army fight)
(click to show/hide)

So, hopefully this gives you an idea on how it works.

Some clarification: The GEAR MULTI is per each army. See Below for Battle Timer Explanation.
Notes: Attacking a low troop, High gear army. IE someone who just lost on attack, or a transport carrying gear: The multi goes bonkers and you'd have to fix it. (IE you get Negative XP) So you need to calculate gear of all troops used, rather than gear of whole army. Otherwise this works everywhere else.
In Light of the above, I'd Recommend this:

Edited in:(realized i left the old high gear/low troop formula in. Changed it out for the IF statement posted in the below post)
If{ Gear Multi < 3, Gear Multi =3
Gear Multi =4.5 - ( Absoulte value( Average gear cost - Cost per troop of army) / (Average Gear Cost) *3.5 )
}

« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 04:11:17 am by Lt_Anders »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Lt_Anders

• King
    • View Profile
    • Drowtales
Additional Info: Edited In:
Ok so I was thinking and realized it wasn't 100% clear on it.

Those values are PER ARMY(though I guess you could go with BOTH ARMIES for it). I say this, only because of the Unused battle timer. That's a BONUS for the team that either FLAG CAPS or KILLS the opposing team quicker, and NOT for both teams.

The Battle timer XP gen is what you get REGARDLESS of battle length.(so you walk out of a strat battle, even a quick peasant one, with more xp than current)

The USED BATTLE TIMER XP is what we have currently.(6000 ever 2 minutes)

Ask questions I'll try and answer them. IF you got problems, make a spreadsheetand try the numbers out.

Addendum to the Gear multi:
 Add this into it (If Gear Multi < 3, Gear Multi = 3) problem solved on all the extreme cases that you could get such as High gear, low troops.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 11:08:48 pm by Lt_Anders »

Offline BlindGuy

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 583
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • De oppresso liber et plus ultra.
    • View Profile
This works when you have two armies who both want to fight. But since most battles are someone either being besieged or attacked when travelling, this is not effective.

You did a lot of work, but forgot one the foundations, so your house is wobly.
I don't know enough

Offline Haboe

• King
  • Renown: 1090
  • Infamy: 331
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Born with a shield on my back. Difficult birth.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Haboe
Have not been able to check the formula due to having slightly too much alcohol in my system atm, but this seems off:

Example 6(You get flag capped with crappy peasent gear)
 (click to show/hide)
Battle Size: 1500 (normal)
Cost per troop: 400 (light/peasent gear)
Battle Time: 70
Unused Time: 50
Used Time: 20

XP Earned: 885, 000

Example 7 (Peasent army fight)
 (click to show/hide)
Battle Size: 1500 (normal)
Cost per troop: 400(Light/Peasent)
Battle Time: 70
Unused Time: 0
Used Time: 70

XP Earned: 560,000

That means that the guys that actually fight for 70 minutes get way less then the ones that get flag capped after 20 minutes.

Capping flags early means almost double xp = use plate to kill peasant in 10 minutes, equal xp due to early cap, advantage of easy winning on top.
Respond: next battle both sides will have plate again to prevent flagcaps on their side.

Offline Lt_Anders

• King
    • View Profile
    • Drowtales
(click to show/hide)

Edit in: Remember the cost per troop is what's at stake here. If you have medium armor, but lots of high end weapons and gear you are actually in the Heavy stage. I guess the best way is to think of it with the current status: A shiny army and an unarmed army give lowest xp. Then the Lightly armed and Heavy armed are next lowest, while the Armed is the median and at the top in most XP. So beating a shiny army with a medium or heavy army gives way more xp than  the shiny beating the other two.

Risk versus reward. Also, fighting with a peasant army is NOT be encouraged. in this system.  My system makes a low gear battle have low xp(Like now). It's set for Medium tier armies. NOT LIGHT and NOT PLATE, but Heraldic Mail, for example.  My system doesn't ELIMINATE plate XP(reduces it a slight bit, but not that much, you'd still get 800k xp not counting bonus modifier from genning.)

And if you had 1500 peasants, you already have a shit army.  :wink:

Try the equation out. It does work. It's a NORMALIZED XP system. Means that the Median value gets the highest amount while the tails get the least. Just like a Statistics: Standard Normal Distribution.

Which I didn't calculate Gen bonus. That'd make the 1.7 mil xp battle closer to two million(or 1.2 normal battle like 1.7 so you'd get SHIT tons of XP with this system)

But you do make 1 valid point about an abuse: Having 2 armies fight and then one retreats early. Yes it gives lots of XP, but you are throwing away 1500 tickets. And that is the single most VALUABLE thing in strat.  There's sadly no way to give a bonus for flag caps, or killing the enemy quickly without it being able to be abused, sadly. I guess you can change the formula up to make the per tick xp gain be like 5k while the bonus is 2k. But that's easy to balance. The XP numbers I came up with, where to get a normal XP per battle using current methods(IE you get roughly/more xp than now).
So, event o get max XP that way you have to have a  only a medium army attacking nothing to get it. Might be a good way for some over trooped factions to barter for aid. "We host a nice XP battle, you merc for us later in other fights!" Or a way to just burn tickets that are sitting in cities :wink:

This works when you have two armies who both want to fight. But since most battles are someone either being besieged or attacked when travelling, this is not effective.

You did a lot of work, but forgot one the foundations, so your house is wobly.

Explain? A siege is the same as a battle, just with buildings/walls.(gear would be same as a field battle, maybe more siege gear).

And for being attacked why travelling? Still works: Two armies fighting, gettting xp. As long as there is a FIGHT regardless of the type, you get lots of xp.
It ignores amount killed entirely(except for the UUBT multi) and Ignores Gear (except for the Gear Multi). Tickets doesn't matter in this calculation. Current XP system is based on amount KILLED by both sides. Mine is based ENTIRELY on the timer only. Troops EFFECT the timer by increasing or decreasing it, but that's it. Your SKILL on the battle determines the XP you get. Do good and massively destroy the enemy, quickly: get bonus. Having tough time winning: hold out and get your max XP and reduce the enemies bonus.

So in effect, your skill determines your XP. If you fight fast, you get XP. Coordination, Prepardness and Timing become important. Hitting opportune targets gets you nice xp and better advantage.

Plug in the numbers. Trust me, it works.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 04:14:34 am by Lt_Anders »

Offline Vovka

• King
  • Renown: 1174
  • Infamy: 240
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Druzhina
  • Game nicks: Druzhina_Vovka
  • IRC nick: Vovka
+1
simple nerf heavy armor (due to the increasing demands for strength) would work much better

Offline Lt_Anders

• King
    • View Profile
    • Drowtales
simple nerf heavy armor (due to the increasing demands for strength) would work much better

But more XP is always better!

Offline Jack1

• King
  • Renown: 1029
  • Infamy: 231
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jack1_, Abbud_Amari, The_Doc, Gottlob_Kohlman
  • IRC nick: Risen_Jack
Just nerd archery and buff 2h already. That will fix the exp system.
We're all nerds here, so it doesn't really matter.