Author Topic: Implement double swing for every class  (Read 1085 times)

Offline brockssn

• Baron
  • Renown: 133
  • Infamy: 182
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Implement double swing for every class
« on: July 11, 2013, 06:29:05 pm »
Implement double swing for every class not just 2h. This would add a nice dynamic to the game and stop the 2h abuse of the glitch.

Offline Froto_the_Loc

• Count
  • Renown: 252
  • Infamy: 94
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
  • CRaPGame
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Locia
  • Game nicks: Froto_the_loc
Re: Implement double swing for every class
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 08:21:46 pm »
Yes.
Hooray for customization and hybridization!
Down with monotonous pure classes!

Offline Akynos

• Earl
  • Renown: 369
  • Infamy: 157
  • cRPG Player
  • Is now an agiwhore :*(
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Skono, Rollmops
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 01:35:02 pm »
+1
The heck is double swing?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Kudos to Kulin_Ban for the video

Offline XyNox

• Marshall
  • Renown: 801
  • Infamy: 219
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Quincy Clan
  • Game nicks: Quincy_XyNox
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2013, 01:49:00 pm »
+6
I think he is adressing the overextended sweetspots for 2h. As I know, double hit is simply spamming your weapon 2 times in a row, even though your opponent blocked the 1. hit. Since most of the 2h swingarc is one giant sweetspot, it is possible to connect with your opponent earlier with almost full damage due to the fact that you can hit him in the very beginning of your swing, whereas a pole or 1h would glance. In short: hiltslash.

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2013, 02:15:13 pm »
+1
I think he means being able to hit an opponents block and hit him again before the opponent can attack back. Also known was spam, which every class can already do. Which is not the same as a hiltslash though, which cannot be done by 1h.

I think the term hiltslashing is being used in very varied fashions nowadays, but when I say hiltslash I mean the borky rightswing which pretty much does instahits for way too much damage after doing an early angled leftswing at facehug range. You used to be able to do it with a ton of weapons as you can still do in Native, but in cRPG it has actually been made more difficult and you're going to need rather fast weapons. Still, it can be done by both polearms and 2h. Not by 1h though, I am pretty sure that whatever you do, a double leftswing will be faster than a combination of left and then right.

If the OP doubts the ability of polearm and 1h to spam compared to 2h, grab a quarterstaff or watch players like Atas or Jackie leftswing spam. That said, 2h is very easy to spam with due to ridiculously forgiving sweetspots.

Offline elvis1325

• Earl
  • Renown: 368
  • Infamy: 16
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
  • #REMEMBERYOSHI
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The People's Republic of Yoshi
  • Game nicks: Taril_Yoshi_III, Taril_the_Yoshi_Conscript
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2013, 04:13:45 pm »
I find some pole arms can double swing, the staff, bec de Corbin to some extent, and I've seen my friend double swing a poleaxe before. Its a combination of weapon speed, wpf and weight (pole stun?) I think, however I don't truly know. Just yesterday I was juggling a plate armored guy (another factor?) with the blunt side of a bec, I had him in a stun lock which effectively let me hit him about 6-8 times in a row, but this might not be a valid example because I was knocking him down a lot. Either way, its a mystery... probably.

On the grand scale of Dwarven global threat assessment, Acre is currently ranked pretty low. Just slightly below Yoshis and factions that no longer exist.

Offline Akynos

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2013, 05:53:24 pm »
+1
So basically the guy whines because he gets spammed?

Offline Nehvar

• Duke
  • Renown: 550
  • Infamy: 64
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2013, 06:28:44 pm »
As a "double swing" using two-hander let me inform you that I do the same thing with polearms and one-handers on my alts.  It is definitely not unique to two-handers. 

Just make the first attack connect late in the sweet spot and then immediately launch another attack, trying to hit early in the sweetspot using footwork.  Simple.  You don't have to hiltslash but it does help the success rate and, for me at least, alternating directions works best.  Of course this only really works if your opponent's reaction time is slow or you manage to weapon-stun them or there is a very large difference in weapon speeds.

Calculated or controlled spamming might be a better term for this because there is no actual "double swing" mechanic.
WSE2 gives us the key to a wonderful world of butthurt...

Offline XyNox

• Marshall
  • Renown: 801
  • Infamy: 219
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Quincy Clan
  • Game nicks: Quincy_XyNox
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2013, 07:34:43 pm »
+1
Yeah, but hiltslash has nothing to do with double swinging. Also, the myth only 2h can hiltslash is simply wrong, you can do it with any weapon, if you are doing it right.

Hitting two times in a row regardless of blocking done by your oppenent has, in itself, nothing to do with hiltslashes of course. There is nothing that restricts you from attempting that with any weapon. The early "hit activation" of 2h in particular ( what I meant by hiltslashing ) helps double hitting/spamming with 2h a lot though. I may get hit with poles early in the swing arc every now and then but the times I got ONESHOT by a greatsword at the END of the swingarc from full HP ( archer build, no IF, low armor ) is ridiculous compared to other weapons. True wtf moments.

However, I have to admit that I am doing it myself since I went 2h/archer hybrid and I am a bit ashamed  :oops:

Offline Vodner

• Duke
  • Renown: 526
  • Infamy: 73
  • cRPG Player
  • SaulCanner
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SaulCanner
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2013, 08:19:28 pm »
Double-left swinging used to be pretty common with 1h. At one point the devs increased the stun time after getting blocked for certain swings (right swing for polearms/2h and left swing for 1h, if I recall correctly), after which swinging twice with a 1h became more difficult.

The change didn't hit 2h quite as hard, since you usually lead with a left swing. Or I could just be remembering the changes incorrectly; this was quite a long time ago.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 08:27:36 pm by Vodner »

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • Renown: 859
  • Infamy: 198
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2013, 09:28:47 pm »
Only 1handers can double swing based on what I've seen (and did).
Quote from: BlindGuy
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

My UU key is broken incase you can't tell :D

Offline Elindor

• King
  • Renown: 1178
  • Infamy: 158
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Caelitus mihi vires
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Order of the Holy Guard
  • Game nicks: Elindor
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2013, 07:58:21 pm »
I'd be curious to get a detailed account or video of what is being called a double swing here - since everyone seems to have different definitions.

As for hiltslash....

Someone got it right, but basically a hiltslash (which I think Tydeus's explanation of it is similar to this) is basically when you use the rotation of your body to allow your swing to inflict damage on someone very close to you EARLIER in the swing than would normally do damage (would normally glance).

This same effect is used to make your swing contact with the enemy quicker even at max range, and is basically "turning into your swing".  If 2 people are standing still and swing a 90 speed weapon and a 100 speed weapon at each other, the 100 speed will contact first and inflict damage.  However, if the 90 speed weapon user TURNS through his swing and the 100 speed weapon user does not, the 90 speed weapon will impact first instead. 

Both 2h and polearms can hiltslash, and everyone can turn through their swings to impact sooner.  If you do not, you will find yourself getting "beaten to the punch" a lot.
Elindor, Archon of the Holy Guard
Holy Guard Thread :HERE
Banner Shop : HERE // Map Thread : HERE

Offline The_Bloody_Nine

• Marshall
  • Renown: 946
  • Infamy: 108
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • "I am still alive"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2013, 08:45:48 pm »
+3
I like people trying to hiltslash, gives free hit 90% of times. If you turn with your opponent/position yourself in the right way hiltslash won't work.

Offline Akynos

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2013, 06:05:07 am »
I like people trying to hiltslash, gives free hit 90% of times. If you turn with your opponent/position yourself in the right way hiltslash won't work.

Exactly. I remember duelling Atas ( for those of you who don't know, EU's most famous 1h left spammer) with my full str plated char with a GLB. He could hardly spam me and most of his deaths were due to fail spams. i won't even talk about what happened when I grabbed a quarter staff.
Even with the slowest builds you can counter spam if you know how to move around and you have perfect timing.

Offline [Ant]

• Noble
  • Renown: 19
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2013, 07:52:26 am »
Two things this guy could be talking about

1,     Some swings lead into another swing direction more quickly (like quick blocking). There is lots of this in warband and its pretty subtle. So maybe this guy met some opponents that new how to do this well.

2,     Ive noticed 2H seem to cause block stun a lot (considering their weight).
If this is the case, which i believe it is combined with their speed and easy sweet-spot it can probably account for some of the double hitting.