Poll

Which of the following most expresses what you think...

I like the possibilities.
104 (41.6%)
I don't think this can be good for the mod.
110 (44%)
How about a different approach.
36 (14.4%)

Total Members Voted: 249

Author Topic: New Mechanic: Dodge  (Read 8867 times)

Offline Prpavi

• King
  • Renown: 1525
  • Infamy: 402
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 私 わ 変態 です
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Prpavi, Prpafeee
Re: New Mechanic: Dodge
« Reply #75 on: July 03, 2013, 03:49:09 pm »
we don't need dodge, we need PD for xbows.
And now he can't play because of "common sense" and he doesn't understand how this common sense works
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Osiris

• King
  • Renown: 1449
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merc
  • Game nicks: Osiris. Aethelstan
  • IRC nick: _Osiris_
« Reply #76 on: July 03, 2013, 04:01:35 pm »
+12
What i like about Warband in general is the freedom of movement you have to spin/dodge etc. Dodging is a skill an art for some. The direction seems to be heading away from personal movement and towards who can hit the right combo of keys quicker :(

Footwork is a key skill to learn and separates the great from the good i just feel like this would be a move to dumb down combat.
i make terrible warband videos! https://youtu.be/jUdVGIOuULk

Offline Penitent

• King
  • Renown: 1389
  • Infamy: 220
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Penitent_Turtler
« Reply #77 on: July 03, 2013, 04:14:28 pm »
+1
What i like about Warband in general is the freedom of movement you have to spin/dodge etc. Dodging is a skill an art for some. The direction seems to be heading away from personal movement and towards who can hit the right combo of keys quicker :(

Footwork is a key skill to learn and separates the great from the good i just feel like this would be a move to dumb down combat.

Really?  I thought just the opposite.  This would give more options for footwork and increase the complexity of combat!  Like a painter that has a larger color palate to work with, or a dancer with a mutated 3rd leg.  Interesting...

Offline Necrorave

• Duke
  • Renown: 609
  • Infamy: 71
  • Who the fuck is this guy?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Dracul
  • Game nicks: Necrorave and or Cheesus Crust
  • IRC nick: Necrorave
« Reply #78 on: July 03, 2013, 04:20:34 pm »
The only kind of dodge I would agree with completely is a dive of some sort.  The ability to do what a "Dodge" does but you end up knocked down at the end of the dodge and have to get back up.

I still think this will cause more problems than anything though.  Hit boxes are already weird enough and dodging with the different pings will cause chaos.

(Personal opinion: make kicking hit boxes reasonable first)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 04:35:41 pm by Necrorave »

Offline Lennu

• Marshall
  • Renown: 774
  • Infamy: 94
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Lennu
  • IRC nick: Lennu_
« Reply #79 on: July 03, 2013, 04:31:40 pm »
+1
The only one I like is the roll when knocked down.

Side step would just take the skill away from footwork: hit + backstep out of range with full str char would just be retarded. And the Dark Souls roll/dive simply doesn't belong to warband movement speed mechanics. Maybe if you could completely rework the character movement system the side step and DarkSouls-roll could fit in.

Offline Swaggart

• Earl
  • Renown: 481
  • Infamy: 92
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 03, 2013, 04:53:12 pm »
+9
If you deviate too far from what the original Warband combat was like, you will find that people will be less inclined to play. While it's fun do add things because you can, you run the risk of changing the game so much that people lose that loving feeling with the game they spent years playing.

Nudge was just recently added to all classes. Let's let this mechanic sit for some time to see how it changes the overall feel of the game before adding new mechanics.

Offline Elindor

• King
  • Renown: 1178
  • Infamy: 158
  • Caelitus mihi vires
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Order of the Holy Guard
  • Game nicks: Elindor
« Reply #81 on: July 03, 2013, 05:22:23 pm »
+1
The Roll : I like it.

The Quick Dodge Jump : um, maybe.  Allow blocks during this but maybe not attacks.

The Dive/Lunge : I think this would be cool if it landed you in a very compromised position (as in you couldn't execute attacks or blocks for a second), so that this was a highly offensive move but a little dangerous to execute, a risk.

** For all of them, I would say their effectiveness (speed or execution, distance, etc) should be based off things like agility and weight, so that heavy plate strength buffs aren't agi rolling all over the place and leaping around as well as a high agi character in cloth.

---

Overall, besides the roll I'm a little unsure, because one of the beautiful parts of MB combat is that its so SIMPLE in its basic controls....LMB, RMB, WASD, and yet the combinations between all these and the timings etc can separate a hopeless newb from a MASTER of armed combat.  I dont want the game to lose this aspect.
Elindor, Archon of the Holy Guard
Holy Guard Thread :HERE
Banner Shop : HERE // Map Thread : HERE

Offline Zlisch_The_Butcher

• King
  • Renown: 1272
  • Infamy: 971
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction: Frisian Church of Mork The Goat God
  • Game nicks: Zlisch
  • IRC nick: IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #82 on: July 03, 2013, 06:43:36 pm »
Dodgers would need heavy penalties for getting hit while dodging though, and should be pretty shitty and worthless in higher armor weights, but overall I like this idea. I do however feel that it would be wiser to allow blocking, kicking, attacking and turning your character while knockdowned but remove all chance from knockdown, making it either 100% or 0% depending on hold length, weight, and whether it hit your head (a weapon of the weight of the barmace should imo have 100% knockdown rate when just hitting while a tiny my old friendcher hammer should only knockdown at perfect hold durations while also hitting the head.
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline Tronde_Dornian

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 03, 2013, 06:48:35 pm »
So if I got it right: When I guess the right side of the knockdown roll, I still get a "free" hit?
Perhaps knockdown could kind of stun (or you take the length of the time window) depending of the strength difference as in the nudge? The bigger the difference, the longer the stun/shorter the time window.

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
« Reply #84 on: July 03, 2013, 07:21:11 pm »
+2
I like the sidestep option, with the following caveats;
-If you get hit while leaping to the side, you have a chance to be knocked down (even by non-knockdown weapons)
-The leap distance/speed/cooldown should be a function of agility, athletics, and/or armor weight
-You can still block while leaping, but not attack

I don't like the roll option. I don't think it's something a medieval knight would have ever done during combat.

Offline Penitent

• King
  • Renown: 1389
  • Infamy: 220
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Penitent_Turtler
« Reply #85 on: July 03, 2013, 07:47:09 pm »
+1
I like the sidestep option, with the following caveats;
-If you get hit while leaping to the side, you have a chance to be knocked down (even by non-knockdown weapons)
-The leap distance/speed/cooldown should be a function of agility, athletics, and/or armor weight
-You can still block while leaping, but not attack

I don't like the roll option. I don't think it's something a medieval knight would have ever done during combat.

I agree this is the best way.  The rolling after knowndown or rolling around at will aren't as nice.

Offline MrPink44

• Count
  • Renown: 245
  • Infamy: 24
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Frisian Freedom
  • Game nicks: Mr_Pink_Frisia, Flying_FrnchFries
  • IRC nick: n/a
« Reply #86 on: July 03, 2013, 07:51:23 pm »
While at first I was interested I think there are some huge considerations before attempting this.

-First there is a bit of a ghost hitbox issue with normal jumps that allows players to still hit you if they swing in the right area of deadspace.

-After reading a few of the counter arguments I think rolling is now completely off the table for me. It would be hokey and like some other people have said, it would break the immersion.

-As far as a knockdown roll-out it might be better to normalize the random aspect of knockdown to something Paul has put forward i.e. dictated by weapon weight as well as armor weight where lighter armored people aren't preyed upon by certain death knockdowns. To articulate my point a lot of knockdown weapons of the heavier variety have crush-through which makes blocking worthless as a swashbuckler. This isn't the case for all blunt knockdowns but I know personally it's insanely frustrating to get 2 shot with no chance to save myself since someone got that magical first hit knockdown.

-Which leads to my next point of a quick step. Honestly it's an amazing idea in theory since it opens up a lot of possibilities for lighter weight 1H swashbucklers. But that was already facilitated by nudge, which now everyone has I agree with the cooldown system that has been helpful in mitigating the abusive of nudge-kick combos but if a sidestep were implemented it would need to share a cooldown with these two functions. This would give just another tool in melee combat against some of those larger heavier weapons that you can neither block nor effectively dodge without exposing yourself in multiple player combat. A double tap on a movement key would suffice for me or like someone else stated put it with a shift or alt command.

For the love of all that is holy let us chose our own keybinds. Other than that I am not opposed to new combat mechanics but there needs to be some serious testing on a private server before implementing it in a patch like the last one. I know that can be hard to accommodate but it might help with refinement. That's my two dollars worth sorry if it's TL/DR but I tried to take a lot of the feedback I caught from other peoples legit concerns. 
 +Bitches be all over yo charismatic dick.
"Suck my mace." -Larry the Magical Cheetah
I will be a meatshield for my frisian friends! -Frug Frug MB
"Frisia.. urging clans to go to war with other clans for the lulz since 2012." -Tazer
"Are you not entertained?" -Leonidas, The Prince of Persia: Sands of Time

Offline Tojo

• Earl
  • Renown: 490
  • Infamy: 84
  • cRPG Player
  • Long Live NA_1
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Krems, HoC, Acre, MB, HG, Beserks
  • Game nicks: _Tojo, Drew_Brees, Tijo
« Reply #87 on: July 03, 2013, 07:59:34 pm »
Imo : Players are still learning the nudge that was recentley introduced another new mechanic should probably wait awhile. Also, the rolling after a dodge is performed will likely cause more problems than it solves. I would like to see another mechanic added eventually but just not right after the nudge.

Perhaps instead of a dodge roll you devs could implement a Sidestep dodge. With a sidestep you could avoid those overhead crushthroughs a little better and maybe dodge some charging cav. Just make the character move 1m left or right of current position almost like a lunge or something.

Offline Nehvar

• Duke
  • Renown: 550
  • Infamy: 64
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 03, 2013, 09:34:42 pm »
I like the roll but not the hop or Soul's-dodge.
WSE2 gives us the key to a wonderful world of butthurt...

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 03, 2013, 09:56:54 pm »
+4
DO DIS

Now seriously don't add a dodge. All but the first type seems way too powerful and gamey and also completely redundant with current mechanics (just sidestep) that make a lot more sense. Humans, especially with armor on, have inertia. Finally, we already have too many used keys to add more, and double tapping is awful.