Author Topic: Is heirlooming armour really worth it?  (Read 3098 times)

Offline StormFaction

• Baron
  • Renown: 121
  • Infamy: 26
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Order of the Holy Guard
  • Game nicks: HG_Guard_Eryalus, HG_Igorrr
Re: Is heirlooming armour really worth it?
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2013, 03:28:42 am »
+5
I would say looming hand armor is very important for people like me who change builds often or throw them between alts.  Not to mention they give you good leverage in the market as loomed gauntlets are almost always in demand, so you get a little extra buying power if you want to trade them.  From my experiences anyways
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

You can always count on old Beelzebub to throw the best LAN party, he eats children's dreams and shits out videogames.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2013, 04:02:18 pm »
+2
Yes looming hand armor is the way to go if you switch your body armor around, or if you switch up your builds regularly.  For people trying to be as efficient as possible, I suggest they pick a build and stick with it so that they can start building up the best possible heirlooms for their character.
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Lannistark

• Duke
  • Renown: 586
  • Infamy: 118
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Deserters
  • Game nicks: Duke
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2013, 05:34:40 pm »
+1
Gloves are the critical thing. They can give you another +5 body armor without any weight penalty. Lordly heavy gauntlets give you a full +10 or more to your body armor: that's like swapping a semi-heavy armor for a tincan in native.

After gloves, keep looms secured until you see an offer that fits your favorite armor.

Offline El_Infante

• Count
  • Renown: 167
  • Infamy: 60
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tercio_Alejandro_Farnesio
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2013, 11:06:26 pm »
+1
Looming armor is critical if you have enough IF to support it. Full tincan plate and 8 IF make the difference.

Offline owens

• Earl
  • Renown: 436
  • Infamy: 389
  • cRPG Player
  • PK_BALLA
    • View Profile
    • Our Website
  • Faction: Persian Kittens
  • Game nicks: PK's nice guy
  • IRC nick: PK world tour pm to donate
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2013, 12:49:00 am »
+2
^I find loomed armour to be just as important on high ath characters.

Being one hit is never fun
PK is back

PK is a collection of elites from throughout modern and ancient history. Giants of Calradia individually, as a group these gods of combat shatter all expectations and ascend to a higher plain of victory that only a few have seen before.

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • Renown: 2174
  • Infamy: 227
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WITCHCRAFT, A_Hot_Elf_Princess, Yurnero_of_the_High_Plains, and secret alts
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2013, 09:25:43 am »
+5
If you always use the same body armor, get +3 body armor early (if it is lordly; do other things if you want to have one that tops out at reinforced). Any gloves besides leather gloves become "lordly" at +3 and give the same bonus as +3 body armor does. If you loom gloves first, you can play with many different body armors until you find one whose stats or appearance really fit you. If weight matters to your build FOR ANY REASON, gloves are always better to loom first. Even counting the x8 penalty for glove weight when you use ranged, heirloomed gloves are still more efficient than heirloomed armor.

+3 gloves are also one of the easiest +3 items to trade. If you change your mind, you can break even or get a profit trading +3 gloves for almost anything within the same day you put the offer on marketplace. If you have +3 lordly armor and +3 lordly gloves, that's 10 more armor with no increase in weight or repair cost. That's a huge difference even with 0 IF skill. Unless you are a master at blocking, heirloomed armor is a very tangible increase in power.

I still prefer to loom weapons first on any build, but that's my opinion. Even if the benefits aren't as big. If you can kill someone before they even hit you, your loomed armor doesn't matter at all.

On the other hand, my heavy armor longmaul build has +3 armor and +3 gloves. With 6 IF, the change from 7 + 53 (60) to 12 + 58 (70) means you can take about 10 hits in melee instead of 5-6. Your build and playstyle matter more than anything else when you are deciding what to loom.

edit: +3 armors make a huge difference, even on low weight ranged builds. If you can take 2 hits instead of 1, it lets you fuck up ONCE PER ROUND instead of being instantly punished with death for bad positioning or team support. Makes it easier to learn from your mistakes, since you can immediately act on them instead of waiting until next round to figure out what you can do to be better.

irl something shorted on the shuttle and laika overheated and died within a few hours of liftoff and for a brief while one could look up to the stars and see a light shooting across the sky that was actually a warm dog corpse slingshoting about the earth at thousands of miles per hour which was arguably humanity's greatest achievement so far

Offline Tovi

• Earl
  • Renown: 387
  • Infamy: 251
    • View Profile
  • Faction: OdE
  • Game nicks: KrisTovi
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2013, 10:10:03 am »
Does loomed armors have more upkeep ?

Offline Erzengel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 769
  • Infamy: 214
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Norse_Erzengel
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2013, 10:34:25 am »
+1
Does loomed armors have more upkeep ?

No, loomed items always have the same upkeep.

Offline Cup1d

• Count
  • Infamy: 54
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercs
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2013, 11:17:14 am »
+1
There was simple rule for any light armored character - you must survive arbalest bodyshot (because other dangers can be blocked, avoided, dodged etc). Year ago this level of survability was about 42-45 body armor (armor+gauntlets). This can be a starting point for you.

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2013, 11:20:58 am »
+5
Lol, you can get +10 body, +10 leg and +5 body armour from looming and all of that without any disadvantages whatsoever. Even for the lower tier armours the weight less armour increases allow you to be extremely fast while being quite well protected.

Horrible grind2win system if you ask me. Whether it's worth the time is a question only you can answer, but you are going to be at a considerable disadvantage forever if you are not willing to put hundreds of hours into retiring and grinding. Shit system is shit.

Also:
Heavy Aketon  30 -> 34 = 13,3% increase
Milanese Plate 59 -> 64 = 8,5% increase

Offline El_Infante

• Count
  • Infamy: 60
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tercio_Alejandro_Farnesio
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2013, 01:51:40 pm »
+1
Lol, you can get +10 body, +10 leg and +5 body armour from looming and all of that without any disadvantages whatsoever. Even for the lower tier armours the weight less armour increases allow you to be extremely fast while being quite well protected.

Horrible grind2win system if you ask me. Whether it's worth the time is a question only you can answer, but you are going to be at a considerable disadvantage forever if you are not willing to put hundreds of hours into retiring and grinding. Shit system is shit.

Also:
Heavy Aketon  30 -> 34 = 13,3% increase
Milanese Plate 59 -> 64 = 8,5% increase

With 34 body armor you are butter. With 75 body armor you are a rock. That 8.5% matters, trust me.

Offline owens

• Earl
  • Renown: 436
  • Infamy: 389
  • cRPG Player
  • PK_BALLA
    • View Profile
    • Our Website
  • Faction: Persian Kittens
  • Game nicks: PK's nice guy
  • IRC nick: PK world tour pm to donate
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2013, 02:12:53 pm »
^I dont think you get it
PK is back

PK is a collection of elites from throughout modern and ancient history. Giants of Calradia individually, as a group these gods of combat shatter all expectations and ascend to a higher plain of victory that only a few have seen before.

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2013, 02:41:18 pm »
+3
grinding.

There is no "grinding" in cRPG. Grinding implies doing something that's not fun so you can do something that is fun. Like doing endless stupid quests or dungeons in a MMORPG so you can go on raids.

In cRPG, playing the game is the fun part. There is no other boring thing you have to do so you can play the game. The attack/block mechanics work the same whether you are a peasant or a lvl 35 juggernaut in full looms. Heirlooms just add a level of customization that makes you feel attached to your equipment choices. Nobody "needs" them to have fun.

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2013, 05:08:31 pm »
+4
There is no "grinding" in cRPG. Grinding implies doing something that's not fun so you can do something that is fun. Like doing endless stupid quests or dungeons in a MMORPG so you can go on raids.

In cRPG, playing the game is the fun part. There is no other boring thing you have to do so you can play the game. The attack/block mechanics work the same whether you are a peasant or a lvl 35 juggernaut in full looms. Heirlooms just add a level of customization that makes you feel attached to your equipment choices. Nobody "needs" them to have fun.
I'd rather interpret grinding as having to do something that is 'less fun' so you can have more fun later. With being able to compete and do awesome as a level 35 fully stacked with looms being the 'optimal fun', and playing as a level 23 post retirement with very little looms being 'less fun'. Competing and doing good is half the fun for me in this game, and judging from the level of min maxing in this game, I am not alone.

Therefore, retiring is grinding in my book. Everytime you click retire you reduce your ability to compete so you can compete better later on. Sure, kicking some level 30 ass as a level 15 is fun, but level 20-30 is horrible in my opinion. You are just a little slower, hit a little less hard and are a little less resilient than everyone else. Pisses me the fuck off and I'm glad I got enough looms. Tell me with a straight face you haven't wished that you were back to high level after retirement, cause if you did, you were grinding.

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2013, 06:43:57 pm »
+3
I'd rather interpret grinding as having to do something that is 'less fun' so you can have more fun later. With being able to compete and do awesome as a level 35 fully stacked with looms being the 'optimal fun', and playing as a level 23 post retirement with very little looms being 'less fun'. Competing and doing good is half the fun for me in this game, and judging from the level of min maxing in this game, I am not alone.

Therefore, retiring is grinding in my book. Everytime you click retire you reduce your ability to compete so you can compete better later on. Sure, kicking some level 30 ass as a level 15 is fun, but level 20-30 is horrible in my opinion. You are just a little slower, hit a little less hard and are a little less resilient than everyone else. Pisses me the fuck off and I'm glad I got enough looms. Tell me with a straight face you haven't wished that you were back to high level after retirement, cause if you did, you were grinding.

I pretty much haven't done anything in cRPG that wasn't more fun than I could have in any other game. I never thought Battle was fun, so I don't play it. But Siege is fun at any level. It's fun with no looms, and fun with full looms. I don't retire any more, but I remember siege being just as much fun back when I was retiring every time I hit 31 (15 times).

Compare that to WoW, which was fun about 5% of the time, and mindless unchallenging repetitive crap the other 95% of the time.