Author Topic: Throwing and heirlooming  (Read 3111 times)

Offline Fkpuz

• Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Cowardly_Viking
Throwing and heirlooming
« on: May 07, 2011, 07:35:27 am »
I know max ammo for things like the heavy axe got reduced to 2, but with heirlooming I thought you could increase it.  Is this still in place or is it a maximum of 2 ammo no matter how many times you heirloom them.

edit: whelp I jumped the gun on my heirlooming that's for sure, what a pity.  Yeah, it's just 2 max ammo no matter what it seems

well incase anyone cares (nope), I think ammo on throwing should be 2-2-3-4 for heirloomed Heavy Axes and whatnot
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 08:49:06 am by Fkpuz »

Offline Dach

• Earl
  • Renown: 444
  • Infamy: 92
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Dach_BRD / SNSD_Taeyeon
Re: Throwing and heirlooming
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 09:07:49 am »
Yep ammo count went down, but damage went up.

Masterwork throwing weapon get +1 speed and +4 damage, instead of +ammo +1 speed +2 damage.

Not a bad trade-off IMO. Considering pre-patch thrower were the most OP class.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 09:10:39 am by Dach »
A lot of people in the NA community know that Dach rages and in the process of his uncontrollable rage, he tends to kick people.

You've been warned! :twisted:

Offline Fkpuz

• Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Cowardly_Viking
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 09:17:14 am »
Yeah, I still wouldn't mind some ammo gain for the higher heirloom levels though, even bringing it to 3 at max heirloom would rule.

Offline Taggerung

• Knight
  • Renown: 53
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2011, 09:18:47 am »
Not a bad trade-off IMO. Considering pre-patch thrower were the most OP class.

LOL right....most OP class my ass....That's why you saw every thrower with a 20:1 KDR and top of their team every time...   :rolleyes:

Offline Dach

• Earl
  • Renown: 444
  • Infamy: 92
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Dach_BRD / SNSD_Taeyeon
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2011, 09:34:19 am »
Maybe yes...

Also having the ability to one shot anyone except high str full plate user or shielder.

Also one shot any horse except the one higher than the destrier.

All that, having only 1 wpf in throwing.

Could still carry any melee weapon they wanted and using all their wpf in any melee skill.

Btw, I just retired from a Pure 2h build to make a 2h/thrower build so....
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 09:35:22 am by Dach »
A lot of people in the NA community know that Dach rages and in the process of his uncontrollable rage, he tends to kick people.

You've been warned! :twisted:

Offline Seawied

• Knight
  • Renown: 45
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player
  • Climbing in yo window, snatching yo people up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2011, 04:01:42 pm »
theres balance, and then theres punishment. The new patch completely destroyed throwing. You CANNOT have an effective pure thrower with all the changes to high end gear.

1.5 jarrids per slot? Seriously?
So with PT >10 stones become simple too effective
:lol:

Offline Dammit

• Peasant
  • Renown: 7
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Pope_Pooptickler
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2011, 05:22:19 pm »
I love throwing to be honest...tempted to mix it in with my polearm build.
I'll stomp a mudhole in your ass and then take a dirty bubbly yellow piss in it while all you can do is look back at me with a yellow smile about it.

Offline Magikarp

• Baron
  • Renown: 130
  • Infamy: 87
  • cRPG Player
  • Gotta splash em all!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merciless
  • Game nicks: Magikarp ; Merciless_Charlemagne
  • IRC nick: Magikarp
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2011, 06:22:17 pm »

LOL right....most OP class my ass....That's why you saw every thrower with a 20:1 KDR and top of their team every time...   :rolleyes:
Yup your ass.

They could onehit people by simply pressing the left mouse button. I did the same on my thrower, but I got bored by the overpoweredness. Hence why I didn't ever heirloom the barmace either.
Don't mind the fish.

Offline Spawny

• Count
  • Renown: 152
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Templar_Spawny
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2011, 10:55:11 pm »
Yup your ass.

They could onehit people by simply pressing the left mouse button. I did the same on my thrower, but I got bored by the overpoweredness. Hence why I didn't ever heirloom the barmace either.

Still never saw throwers with those k/d ratios topping the scoreboards all the time.

Cav did. As did 2h's.

Maybe yes...

Also having the ability to one shot anyone except high str full plate user or shielder.

Also one shot any horse except the one higher than the destrier.

All that, having only 1 wpf in throwing.

Could still carry any melee weapon they wanted and using all their wpf in any melee skill.

Btw, I just retired from a Pure 2h build to make a 2h/thrower build so....

I used to bring a great lance with me when I was 1h/cav. Could kill anyone in 1 hit with no wpf in polearms just by couching them.
Did the same with Xbows too. Kill someone in 1 hit with 1 wpf.

Yet crossbowmen and cavalry are still viable, but dedicated thrower is about as bad as it can get.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

The problem is even if you are number 1 in NA you are still only number 467 in EU or the worst in AUS(number 17)

Offline Magikarp

• Baron
  • Renown: 130
  • Infamy: 87
  • cRPG Player
  • Gotta splash em all!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merciless
  • Game nicks: Magikarp ; Merciless_Charlemagne
  • IRC nick: Magikarp
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2011, 11:10:52 pm »
Still never saw throwers with those k/d ratios topping the scoreboards all the time.

Cav did. As did 2h's.
I did saw some doing so. But it's not about scores, it's about how easily you could get kills. How easily you could oneshot others. THat's why it was overpowered.
Don't mind the fish.

Offline Seawied

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2011, 01:54:09 am »
You can 1 shot people with a sniper x-bow. What did they do last patch? Improved the potential damage on it further. Throwing was not unique in this sense at all. You had to be moderately close, you had a very limited number of shots, and it required a considerably high strength investment.

Offline UrLukur

• Noble
  • Renown: 13
  • Infamy: 19
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2011, 12:23:42 pm »
They nerfed sniper xbow this patch, too.

I don't know how throwing fare this patch to be honest, i don't seen anyone with optimized build for throwing yet. I know that 7pt and 83 wpf in it is too low wpf (i have it at the moment and it's useless, i bet many others have similar situation).

Number of projectiles is fine, you can use 8 axes or 6 and shield. You can pick any 1h weapon from the ground if you run out of axes, and axes do fine in melee. If you want accurate thrower, run with something that can headshot people (those have high ammo count). Don't expect to roll best melee weapon combination if you run pure thrower dps, you can take two lances or 6 jarids and still get 0-slot weapon. Throwing seems to be fine, even if they no longer can use best melee 2h weapon and 6 throwing lances.
"Clava curva pie vinco"

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2011, 03:32:35 pm »
The only aspect of the throwing nerf that was unjustified was the "Your WPF in throwing is too low" business. And no throwing weapon should require two slots.

I think dedicated throwers are still viable, they just need to re-adjust their tactics vs. pre-patch. War darts are where it's at now: With 10 PT, they are deadly accurate, do about the same damage as a crossbow, and have a very fast rate of fire. And you can carry up to 28 of them. They heirloom nicely also.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 03:34:04 pm by Phew »

Offline Dravic

• Knight
  • Renown: 78
  • Infamy: 29
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Not playing
  • Game nicks: Not playing
  • IRC nick: Most likely Dravic
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2011, 04:40:51 pm »
I did saw some doing so. But it's not about scores, it's about how easily you could get kills. How easily you could oneshot others. THat's why it was overpowered.

This.

You can sometimes 1 shot people with a sniper x-bow. What did they do last patch? Slightly (+2 dmg or so) improved the potential damage on it further. Throwing was not unique in this sense. You had to be moderately close or you just needed a bit of luck, you had enough amount of shots to annoy every one in 10 meter distance from you, and it required a very high strength investment which buffed its dmg, accuracy and shot speed (flying speed) AND your hp AND your melee dmg.

Fixed.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 04:45:04 pm by Dravic »

Offline Seawied

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2011, 06:23:52 am »
 :rolleyes:

Assuming you didn't have a shield or melee weapon and carried only throwing lances, you had 8 throwing lances. While strength does give more life, having high requirements is a definitive drawback, as it substantively reduces key skills like athletics, riding, horse archery, wm, or potentially shield. You also needed 9-10 power throw to consistently 1 shot an opponent. At 8-7, it typically took 2 hits to kill your opponent.

They were one of the slowest projectiles in the game, and the most inaccurate ranged weapon in the game. It was because of all these drawbacks, I found other throwing weapons to be more effective in practice than throwing lances. While some people, like ATS_Native, used them to great effect, they by no means warranted the insanely punishing 2 slot, 1 ammo nerf they received.

The nerf really seemed like a knee-jerk reaction that someone did after getting killed by one of these weapons. They could have been balanced in infinitely better ways.