Author Topic: Buff (yes, buff) Ranged scoring  (Read 855 times)

Offline Akynos

• Earl
  • Renown: 369
  • Infamy: 157
  • cRPG Player
  • Is now an agiwhore :*(
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Skono, Rollmops
Buff (yes, buff) Ranged scoring
« on: June 28, 2013, 02:47:31 pm »
+4
Hello ladies,

First I have to remind people that I am a melee person, greatly enjoying the oily naked torso rubs that so many of us practice on the crpg servers. obviously, I hate any kind of stick-throwing/shooting class.

However despite my fully-justified hate for ranged classes, I have to recognize ( and that stands for all melee players) that the scoring system is as kind to ranged as a dog is to a lamp post

So many ranged have great skills yet I almost never see one of them topping the scoreboard. That's unlike shielder where all you have to do is lift your shield in the middle of the melee and farm proximity points ( and yes, I have played shielder for 2 gens)

Nerf ranged, but buff their scores. They do deserve it.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Kudos to Kulin_Ban for the video

Offline Zlisch_The_Butcher

• King
  • Renown: 1272
  • Infamy: 971
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction: Frisian Church of Mork The Goat God
  • Game nicks: Zlisch
  • IRC nick: IRC nick: Tears
Re: Buff (yes, buff) Ranged scoring
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 03:03:03 pm »
Vaegir warmask wearers, ranged, and cav, should get far less points than regular melee to discourage it as much as it needs to be discouraged.
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline vipere

• Marshall
  • Renown: 793
  • Infamy: 73
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Lunasa
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 03:11:42 pm »
It's not really true, best archers/throwers can top scores when they are doing great.

in my opinion it's more about nerfing melee scores, proximity, horses, tincans give you a tone of points.
As hoplite i had valour like 1 round/2. And i'm only medium skilled player, but i always had like 20 points of proximity, 20-50 points : hits, sometimes a lot more when i killed a horse.

Offline Zlisch_The_Butcher

• King
  • Renown: 1272
  • Infamy: 971
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction: Frisian Church of Mork The Goat God
  • Game nicks: Zlisch
  • IRC nick: IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 03:56:46 pm »
Despite my eternalgodhate against ranged valor I agree that proximity needs to be heavily toned down, as a horsethrower I'll get 7 point for onehitting a guy on a courser with my throwing lance right before his lance would've hit me, I'll get like 2 points for hitting him at a distance.
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 04:43:51 pm »
Valor

Definition:

Strength of mind or spirit that enables a person to encounter danger with firmness : personal bravery

Synonyms:

bravery, courageousness, daring, daringness, dauntlessness, doughtiness, fearlessness, gallantry, greatheartedness, guts, gutsiness, hardihood, heart, heroism, intestinal fortitude, intrepidity, intrepidness, moxie, nerve, prowess, stoutness, courage, virtue

Which of those words describe archers or ranged characters?  Now you understand why they get less score.  Besides I've seen good archers top the scoreboard and get valor round after round (rohypnol).   Also people who shoot my horse get a lot of points on the scoreboard. 
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline YnScN

• Count
  • Renown: 261
  • Infamy: 55
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: YnScN
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2013, 04:46:28 pm »
+1
Remove free points, reduce points are given by killing a horse problem solved.

Offline Ulter

• Baron
  • Renown: 123
  • Infamy: 25
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Duke_Henry_HRE
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2013, 05:15:55 pm »
Valor

Definition:

Strength of mind or spirit that enables a person to encounter danger with firmness : personal bravery

Synonyms:

bravery, courageousness, daring, daringness, dauntlessness, doughtiness, fearlessness, gallantry, greatheartedness, guts, gutsiness, hardihood, heart, heroism, intestinal fortitude, intrepidity, intrepidness, moxie, nerve, prowess, stoutness, courage, virtue

Which of those words describe archers or ranged characters?  Now you understand why they get less score.  Besides I've seen good archers top the scoreboard and get valor round after round (rohypnol).   Also people who shoot my horse get a lot of points on the scoreboard.

Actually archers are the ones who go into battle with no armour, having little chance of surviving any kind of meele encounter :P

Offline Jeric

• Knight
  • Renown: 79
  • Infamy: 32
  • cRPG Player
  • k
    • View Profile
  • Faction: k
  • Game nicks: hey
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2013, 05:30:02 pm »
+2
Actually archers are the ones who go into battle with no armour, having little chance of surviving any kind of meele encounter :P

Which is why they used a range weapon. To avoid a melee encounter.

Offline Grumpy_Nic

• King
  • Renown: 1023
  • Infamy: 306
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Hermann_von_Krems
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2013, 06:41:30 pm »
Which is why they used a range weapon. To avoid a melee encounter.

Which is why ammo is a lot heavier now. To get them into melee encounters

Offline Konrax

• Count
  • Renown: 281
  • Infamy: 107
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Konrax of Chaos
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2013, 06:42:51 pm »
+1
Proximity points is important because those at the front line are the most at risk, hence why they are rewarded with points.

I see skilled archers fighting with the main body of the attack because they are trying to support the main melee, not just play sniper at some corner of the map.

Even if you kill 5+ people in a single round as a range, usually they aren't the primary melee on the other team if you are sitting back sniping people.

Besides anything that encourages more range spam is counter productive.

EDIT: ^^^ The issue was that range didn't need to fight in melee before, they could just flee and continue to shoot, which made melee very gimp in countering them. A shield only bought you time, and wasn't a real counter until the weight change was put in.

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2013, 06:55:36 pm »
+3
Double points for headshots and add a weaker proximity for being near a ranged player that gets points. This makes it so shield walls with archer/pike coverage all get points for protecting their team, as well as tightly knit ranged squads and the melee that protect them. I think removing melee proximity is counterproductive, but I think that it should be toned down some.

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2013, 08:04:41 pm »
As san said, we need more reward mechanics that reward teamwork. I'll add that in addition to the points you get for being near allies that get kills, you should lose points when nearby allies are killed by enemies. This would encourage shield walls and blocking for your allies. Right now, in a 2v1, most people are content to let their teammate get killed so they can get an unadulterated 1v1.