Author Topic: Summer Music Festivals  (Read 2105 times)

Offline Prpavi

• King
  • Renown: 1525
  • Infamy: 402
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 私 わ 変態 です
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Prpavi, Prpafeee
Summer Music Festivals
« on: June 24, 2013, 07:31:32 am »
I love summer and hte music festivals it brings, went to Exit festival in Serbia for years but now I have a great one last few years in my home town, practically in my neighborhood and the Exit unfortunatley fell off.

Ti starts today, looking forward to it, pretty hyped

What festivals are you checking this summer?
And now he can't play because of "common sense" and he doesn't understand how this common sense works
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Everkistus

• Marshall
  • Renown: 987
  • Infamy: 108
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • No good deed goes unpunished
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Everkistus
  • IRC nick: Everkistus
Re: Summer Music Festivals
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 09:31:14 am »
+1
None really. I don't like live music festivals.

Why would I want to go outside in the rain to get surrounded by drunk people and listen to the band play, when I can sit comfortably at home and listen to the perfectly mixed studio versions.

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 09:42:05 am »
+3
Why would I want to go outside in the rain to get surrounded by drunk people and listen to the band play, when I can sit comfortably at home and listen to the perfectly mixed studio versions.
I don't know what kind of performances you have visited, but if listening to the studio version at home was better than being at a live performance, there is something either very wrong with the band or with your appreciation of music.

Offline Panos

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 1319
  • Infamy: 551
  • cRPG Player
  • Hate for 2h kuyak my old friends.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Varangian Guard
  • Game nicks: Varangian_Panos
  • IRC nick: Panos
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2013, 09:52:10 am »

I had the same opinion like you, until 4 years ago I went to rockwave festival that happens here in Greece each summer.

I banged a Swedish chick in here tent , and I found a 200 euros bill laying on the ground near my tent at the last day of the festival   :mrgreen:

http://www.rockwavefestival.gr/site/

Ska-p
Kreator
Saxon
Iced Earth
At the Gates
Suicidal Tendencies

FUCK THAT SHIT MAN!!!

Also I hope one day I`ll be able to be in Wacken Festival in Germany, they always get the coolest bands..

http://www.wacken.com/en/woa2013/main-bands/

LOOK AT THOSE BANDS NERDS! fuck!

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2013, 10:47:35 am »
+1
Festivals are ok but I'd rather pay to go to individual bands. Unless the line up is truly awesome at a festival then it's rarely worth the money.

Offline Everkistus

• Marshall
  • Renown: 987
  • Infamy: 108
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • No good deed goes unpunished
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Everkistus
  • IRC nick: Everkistus
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2013, 01:36:39 pm »
+2
Don't get me wrong, I enjoy listening to music. It's just that at festivals the music is often obnoxiously loud and the acoustics suck. Add that to the mass of people along with the drunken idiots.

On the other hand, I could just sit comfortably at home and listen to music with my fiancee. I don't know about you guys, but I don't really give a rats ass how the performance is or what the band members look like. The music is the important part.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2013, 01:41:11 pm »
+4
I don't know what kind of performances you have visited, but if listening to the studio version at home was better than being at a live performance, there is something either very wrong with the band or with your appreciation of music.

Listening to it in the best possible conditions is appreciating music. Going to concerts and festivals and such is something else, that you can also appreciate on its own, but it is certainly not the same thing as music.

Offline SixThumbs

• Duke
  • Renown: 567
  • Infamy: 60
  • cRPG Player
  • Consumer Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2013, 02:27:04 pm »
I haven't been to a festival since I got hospitalized twice and then arrested and thrown in an over-night jail for "indecent conduct". All in all it was a good 3-days I'd say.
And how!

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2077
  • Infamy: 438
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2013, 03:12:22 pm »
+1

Very few bands are good on stage. But people who visit live performances (in the open space) are usually wasted, so they don't mind.

Offline Prpavi

• King
  • 私 わ 変態 です
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2013, 04:06:59 pm »
+3
Music is all about energy and emotion not hitting every note perfectly or a studio polished sound. I believe you absolutley need to see the artist live, his stage presence, looks/style, attitude and energy that go with the music to full understand and feel him/her/them.

The best lives i've seen were on festivals where preformres are equally wasted as the crowd and the energy was insane.
And now he can't play because of "common sense" and he doesn't understand how this common sense works

Offline Prpavi

• King
  • 私 わ 変態 です
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2013, 05:20:18 pm »

Chilling, smoking nargilas Persian style between main acts on the festival   :mrgreen:

Offline Son Of Odin

• King
  • Renown: 1856
  • Infamy: 338
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Sky belongs to Asagods as long as the raven flies.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Son_Of_Odin
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2013, 02:25:03 am »
+1

Because sometimes magic happens in the live performances:

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Then try to imagine being in the crowd when Amon Amarth blasts out the Victorious March! (I've seen them live couple years ago in a club and that was legen... wait for it... DARY!)
(click to show/hide)

Live music just brings force, intensity and dynamics to the songs. Studio albums are great, but it's different. Imo a band is a real band after they really deliver their music in live performances. It's not about hitting all the exact same notes as in the studio album. Everyone has heard the album already ;). Still I prefer smaller club gigs over festivals. Clubs have better atmosphere (just my opinion) and acoustics.

There is no sight in my third eye

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2013, 02:40:09 am »
+1
Then try to imagine being in the crowd when Amon Amarth blasts out the Victorious March! (I've seen them live couple years ago in a club and that was legen... wait for it... DARY!)
(click to show/hide)

Nothing beats the Rejkjavik recorded audio.

The raw quality of the whole gig is just awesome, there is a recorded audio only version of the whole concert somewhere on the internet.
It's so much better than the studio ones.

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Son Of Odin

• King
  • Renown: 1856
  • Infamy: 338
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Sky belongs to Asagods as long as the raven flies.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Son_Of_Odin
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2013, 02:52:38 am »
Nothing beats the Rejkjavik recorded audio.
(click to show/hide)

The raw quality of the whole gig is just awesome, there is a recorded audio only version of the whole concert somewhere on the internet.
It's so much better than the studio ones.

That's one thing about Amon Amarth. They don't need to over produce their albums because they actually sound better with "bad" quality :D. I love the raw power their earlier albums had. "Twilight of the thundergod" is too polished for them soundwise... I just didn't like that one too much. Couple earlier ones are borderline. Can't really make my mind if "With Oden on our side" and "Fate of Norns" are a bit too polished or not. I like those two records though so it doesn't really matter :D.

There is no sight in my third eye

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2013, 11:21:15 am »
Live music just brings force, intensity and dynamics to the songs. Studio albums are great, but it's different. Imo a band is a real band after they really deliver their music in live performances. It's not about hitting all the exact same notes as in the studio album. Everyone has heard the album already ;). Still I prefer smaller club gigs over festivals. Clubs have better atmosphere (just my opinion) and acoustics.

I disagree. I think you can have great studio bands who produce amazing albums but really aren't all that fantastic live. But then you have bands who produce average studio albums but when you see them live they blow you away. Neither is preferable as they both have their merits.

There are some bands who I now never listen to their studio albums because they were simply too good live. Like Muse for example. I always buy their albums but their live performance just blows those away. Another I was very surprised by was Maroon 5. I took a girlfriend to see them thinking in my eyes they'd be appalling. They now rate as the second best (after muse) band I've ever seen. Their stage presence and skill on instruments was amazing. But then there are bands like Paramore. They do an ok live show. But their studio album is always much better. The same goes with Pendulum. They kicked ass live but I still prefer listening to their album. But there's nothing wrong with that at all as it takes a different kind of skill.

I definitely agree on the smaller venues though. Some of the best gigs I've been to were at my local arena with Enter Shikari who are a local band for me. 200 people in a small town arena. Nothing really beats it. Even on a different scale, I much preferred Muse when they played Wembley arena. When they moved to the Stadium the sound quality dramatically dropped (as with most open air music events), although the scale increased of course.