Author Topic: Buff Long Maul  (Read 2421 times)

Offline NuberT

• Earl
  • Renown: 436
  • Infamy: 45
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: NuberT_HRE
  • IRC nick: NuberT_HRE
Re: Buff Long Maul
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2013, 02:50:27 pm »
+2
kinda miss playing long maul, but actually playing it made me GTX within 5 minutes since the crushthrough nerf..

gameplay is soooo far away from what it was in early 2011, when people bounced in close combat and you could actually make an overhead without beeing interrupted, which even dealt some damage.

*wallowing in memories*  :rolleyes:

Offline Arthur_

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 557
  • Infamy: 148
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Basileia ton Romaion
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Arthur
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2013, 04:12:24 pm »
im gonna respec my main to long maul user so I will become a dying species.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Jackie who?

Offline Prpavi

• King
  • Renown: 1525
  • Infamy: 402
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 私 わ 変態 です
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Prpavi, Prpafeee
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2013, 04:23:12 pm »
+3
bUFF LONG MAUL AND NERF 2H!
And now he can't play because of "common sense" and he doesn't understand how this common sense works

Offline Tibe

• King
  • Renown: 1335
  • Infamy: 287
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2013, 04:28:07 pm »
+1
Its so pathetic that nobody even uses it as a jokeweapon for the lols. Thats how fucking seriuslly it needs a buff.

Offline Torben

• King
  • Renown: 2011
  • Infamy: 352
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • still prepare to get sexed
    • View Profile
  • Faction: by my overly nerfed heavy lance.
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2013, 06:39:24 pm »
+3
Its so pathetic that nobody even uses it as a jokeweapon for the lols. Thats how fucking seriuslly it needs a buff.

this!  I so much enjoyed putting on my clowns costume and lolling around with it :/  and it was just right!  not up not op,  just right!  ahrg.  the turnrate nurf already fucked it good,  but the crushthrough killed it :'I
Yes, I know from whence I came! Discontented as a flame, Upon myself I live and glow. All I grasp like lightning flashes, All I leave behind is ashes
Flame I am - that much I know!

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2013, 07:29:58 pm »
There's a suggestion part of the forums, doesn't surprise me that strudog would feel he's above posting in the correct part of the forums.  Goes nicely with his sense of entitlement (aka Mr. "another class is getting the best of me, nerf that class").

I think long maul is fine as it is, personally.  It's a nice weapon that I use on strategus sieges and it gets the job done.  It's got a very long length for still dealing crush through.
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Strudog

• Marshall
  • Renown: 922
  • Infamy: 361
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • A Dog
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Britfag
  • Game nicks: Strudog
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2013, 10:06:48 pm »
Cracka post me a good score with the Long maul in battle, i sometimes get lucky and get 20 kills plus but that comes with a lot of hard work, more work than any other weapon
This is the internet.
Men are men
Women are men
Little girls are FBI agents.
Those are the rules no?

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Strategus Councillor
  • Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2013, 10:11:14 pm »
Cracka post me a good score with the Long maul in battle, i sometimes get lucky and get 20 kills plus but that comes with a lot of hard work, more work than any other weapon

Ok well I'll grant you that I could never get 20 kills in a battle server with a long maul, and it would be harder to do than with almost any other weapon...I still don't think that makes it underpowered though...I think of it more as a support weapon (or a situation specific weapon).  I also wouldn't expect to get 20 kills as an archer or pikeman.   It swings very slow, so I think that's the main reason you wouldn't get as many kills with it.

I don't see how you can justify a speed buff for it, since it's the longest crush through weapon in the game.  That's the trade-off for it.  You get a long crush through weapon, but it's one of the slowest weapons in the game, and not as strong as other crushthrough weapons. 

37 blunt is a great deal of damage being dealt, I can't see a justification for increasing the damage or the speed of it.  And I think it's very useful in siege maps, and can see it being useful on battle as well (in strategus) as a support weapon.  Once you have the weapon chambered, it's not really that slow to swing forward.

I sure as hell wouldn't want to take it into the battle server on NA1 or EU battle server though...I think I'd get reamed most rounds.  But I don't think that qualifies it for a buff...

*EDIT*  I think an acceptable buff might be to increase the length some, as Frank suggested.  Or possibly the weight as Teeth suggested.  I don't think increasing the speed or the damage is the right direction though.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 10:25:34 pm by CrazyCracka420 »
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Strudog

• Marshall
  • A Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2013, 10:30:32 pm »
Ok well I'll grant you that I could never get 20 kills in a battle server with a long maul, and it would be harder to do than with almost any other weapon...I still don't think that makes it underpowered though...I think of it more as a support weapon (or a situation specific weapon).  I also wouldn't expect to get 20 kills as an archer or pikeman.   It swings very slow, so I think that's the main reason you wouldn't get as many kills with it.

I don't see how you can justify a speed buff for it, since it's the longest crush through weapon in the game.  That's the trade-off for it.  You get a long crush through weapon, but it's one of the slowest weapons in the game, and not as strong as other crushthrough weapons. 

37 blunt is a great deal of damage being dealt, I can't see a justification for increasing the damage or the speed of it.  And I think it's very useful in siege maps, and can see it being useful on battle as well (in strategus) as a support weapon.  Once you have the weapon chambered, it's not really that slow to swing forward.

I sure as hell wouldn't want to take it into the battle server on NA1 or EU battle server though...I think I'd get reamed most rounds.  But I don't think that qualifies it for a buff...

But thats not how c-rpg works, or have you been playing another game?
Every weapon should at least be at least a viable weapon in battle or siege, but i believe that it is not viable in both scenarios. In strat i would be very surprised to see anyone use a long maul as its just a pile of rubbish.

With Nubert no longer using it in siege and Nicko no longer using it in battle, why should it only be confounded to strategus sieges. Compared to the Long Maul which more than viable in these fields especially strategus.

I will see people use  a Long maul in battle and get rid of it very quickly because they realise how crap it is, i only use it in battle because all other polearms have become boring for me and it is just a challenge to do well with it, without support the Long maul is useless.

As your support argument it is not valid, the longspear and pike are meant to be support weapons but they do fine in many different situations in the right hands.

Every weapon should be viable in each mode and have somewhat a place on the battlefield

With Nubert no longer using it on siege, Nicko no longer using it in battle
This is the internet.
Men are men
Women are men
Those are the rules no?

Offline Penguin

• Duke
  • Renown: 670
  • Infamy: 121
  • cRPG Player
  • JesusChrist
    • View Profile
  • Faction: [A]rrows Incoming!
  • Game nicks: [Y]Retreat!
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2013, 10:34:02 pm »
+3
Mastering the long maul is definitely a challenge. I've used it lately in strat battles. It is very good in castle sieges if you're on the defenders and the attackers are attempting to ladder or have to push through a relatively confined area. It also was decent as attackers in a field battle even if you got stuck dueling 1 or 2 people. But I can't argue that a mighty long hafted spiked mace would probably do the job just as well or even better in place of the long maul, whose only upside would be the crushthrough. That said, it's probably the most fun I have had running around as a long mauler in a strat battle trying to crush through waves of my enemies. If you do have a strat army, I would definitely recommend buying 50 or so long mauls for any kind of situation.

Anyways strudog, since you asked for it, here are some of my scores with the long maul.

http://c-rpg.net/index.php?page=battlesparticipated#!?page=battleroster&id=4075  58:37, Attackers in Field Battle
http://c-rpg.net/index.php?page=battlesparticipated#!?page=battleroster&id=4052  44:28, Attackers in Field Battle
http://c-rpg.net/index.php?page=battlesparticipated#!?page=battleroster&id=4039  57:31, Defenders in Castle Siege
http://c-rpg.net/index.php?page=battlesparticipated#!?page=battleroster&id=4010  56:21, Defenders in Castle Siege
http://c-rpg.net/index.php?page=battlesparticipated#!?page=battleroster&id=3997  83:26, Defenders in Castle Siege

Edit: oh wait you meant in battle. I guess you'll just have to take my word on it that I do occasionally go long maul on battle and do pretty well  :mrgreen:
"As you gaze upon the cross, and long for conformity to him, be not weary or fearful because you cannot express in words what you seek. Ask him to plant the cross in your heart. Believe in him, the crucified and now living one, to dwell within you, and breathe his own mind there."

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • Renown: 2174
  • Infamy: 227
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WITCHCRAFT, A_Hot_Elf_Princess, Yurnero_of_the_High_Plains, and secret alts
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2013, 10:36:01 pm »
+1
I have one at +3 and would love to see it receive a minor buff. However, I don't think it needs one at all. I can do very well with the long maul on my alt. He is below level 30, 18/18 build that isn't even complete yet.

It's a tough weapon to master, though. Unbalanced, knockdown, and 120 length can lead to a lot of teamhits/kills and knockdowns that lead to a teamate's death. You gotta be careful!

irl something shorted on the shuttle and laika overheated and died within a few hours of liftoff and for a brief while one could look up to the stars and see a light shooting across the sky that was actually a warm dog corpse slingshoting about the earth at thousands of miles per hour which was arguably humanity's greatest achievement so far

Offline Strudog

• Marshall
  • A Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2013, 10:37:47 pm »
Mastering the long maul is definitely a challenge. I've used it lately in strat battles. It is very good in castle sieges if you're on the defenders and the attackers are attempting to ladder or have to push through a relatively confined area. It also was decent as attackers in a field battle even if you got stuck dueling 1 or 2 people. But I can't argue that a mighty long hafted spiked mace would probably do the job just as well or even better in place of the long maul, whose only upside would be the crushthrough. That said, it's probably the most fun I have had running around as a long mauler in a strat battle trying to crush through waves of my enemies. If you do have a strat army, I would definitely recommend buying 50 or so long mauls for any kind of situation.

Anyways strudog, since you asked for it, here are some of my scores with the long maul.

http://c-rpg.net/index.php?page=battlesparticipated#!?page=battleroster&id=4075  58:37, Attackers in Field Battle
http://c-rpg.net/index.php?page=battlesparticipated#!?page=battleroster&id=4052  44:28, Attackers in Field Battle
http://c-rpg.net/index.php?page=battlesparticipated#!?page=battleroster&id=4039  57:31, Defenders in Castle Siege
http://c-rpg.net/index.php?page=battlesparticipated#!?page=battleroster&id=4010  56:21, Defenders in Castle Siege
http://c-rpg.net/index.php?page=battlesparticipated#!?page=battleroster&id=3997  83:26, Defenders in Castle Siege

Edit: oh wait you meant in battle. I guess you'll just have to take my word on it that I do occasionally go long maul on battle and do pretty well  :mrgreen:

less than 2:1 KD wouldnt say that you did well with it

This is the internet.
Men are men
Women are men
Those are the rules no?

Offline Artyem

• King
  • Renown: 1218
  • Infamy: 264
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • SODOM Shaman
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Dracul / Raven / SODOMY
  • Game nicks: Artyem
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2013, 10:38:38 pm »
Fuck it, just bring back the Boulder on a Stick.

Sordida asinum latronibus sumus

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Strategus Councillor
  • Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2013, 10:42:39 pm »
Strudog you're not supposed to be able to 1v1 or 1vmany with every single weapon in the game.  Most weapons and classes have strengths and weaknesses, and are stronger in some situations, and weak in others.  Some of those playstyles and weapons can very easily 1v1 or 1vmany, but there are a lot that cannot. I see that as being the case with the long maul.  But even the long maul is able to 1v1 or 1vmany in the right circumstances. 

I would be against the dev's buffing the cleaver so that it can just as easily win a 1v1 as a longsword user.
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Penguin

• Duke
  • Renown: 670
  • Infamy: 121
  • cRPG Player
  • JesusChrist
    • View Profile
  • Faction: [A]rrows Incoming!
  • Game nicks: [Y]Retreat!
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2013, 10:48:41 pm »
+3
less than 2:1 KD wouldnt say that you did well with it

Well, it is mainly a support weapon and teamwork + leadership play a greater factor than you might think in strat battles. I wasn't trying to brag and my melee skills are pretty sub-par still; just showing you what I consider to be a decent performance relative to everyone else in the battle.

Also I'm in favor of the buff of long maul: http://forum.meleegaming.com/suggestions-corner/save-the-long-maul/msg785273/#msg785273
"As you gaze upon the cross, and long for conformity to him, be not weary or fearful because you cannot express in words what you seek. Ask him to plant the cross in your heart. Believe in him, the crucified and now living one, to dwell within you, and breathe his own mind there."