Author Topic: NA1 admin elections  (Read 817 times)

Offline Wrangham

• Baron
  • Renown: 80
  • Infamy: 54
  • cRPG Player
  • In-game: Wrang
    • View Profile
NA1 admin elections
« on: June 20, 2013, 06:20:04 pm »
+1
Every Monday post an admin election thread. Give the poster with the highest "+" total admin for 6 months (obviously admins can't run again until their term is up.)

Repeat and profit from a 24-admin team of players accountable to the playerbase.

------

The last time I posted a suggestion all the players who conceivably might be negatively effected flooded the thread. Please do not comment here if you are an admin.

Offline Jarold

• Marshall
  • Renown: 987
  • Infamy: 142
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • "Always wear more armor than the guy next to you."
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarold
Re: NA1 admin elections
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 10:11:55 pm »
+4
I don't think you know what this "community" is capable of!

Offline Matey

• King
  • Renown: 1327
  • Infamy: 372
  • cRPG Player
  • A Pirate
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Matey_BRD
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 10:21:56 pm »
Every Monday post an admin election thread. Give the poster with the highest "+" total admin for 6 months (obviously admins can't run again until their term is up.)

Repeat and profit from a 24-admin team of players accountable to the playerbase.

------

The last time I posted a suggestion all the players who conceivably might be negatively effected flooded the thread. Please do not comment here if you are an admin.

This is a lovely idea, but another way to work it could be actual polls where people vote for admin candidates (people that are currently applying for admin and are not being outright rejected). also, the 6 month term would not protect badmins from being removed earlier if needed. all in all though, i like the idea of the community having more of a say in its admins.

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 10:23:28 pm »
+16
Yeah, then we'll have the awesome American "democracy" where the most powerful and ruthless (in terms of manipulation and populism) lobbies get their candidates into office. Prepare for Smooth vs. Kesh admin wars, banning the respective underlings of the other side until those two are the only ones left.

Offline Matey

• King
  • Renown: 1327
  • Infamy: 372
  • cRPG Player
  • A Pirate
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Matey_BRD
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 10:26:32 pm »
Yeah, then we'll have the awesome American "democracy" where the most powerful and ruthless (in terms of manipulation and populism) lobbies get their candidates into office. Prepare for Smooth vs. Kesh admin wars, banning the respective underlings of the other side until those two are the only ones left.

Hence why I suggested that they be nominated applicants who are at least somewhat approved by current admin leadership or devs or someone. P.S. smooth was a good admin until strat got the better of him and Kesh didn't even do a bad job as admin, he lost his admin cause he had a very poorly named alt. I think you seriously underestimate the amount of NA players who would take such a thing seriously.

Offline Zlisch_The_Butcher

• King
  • Renown: 1272
  • Infamy: 971
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction: Frisian Church of Mork The Goat God
  • Game nicks: Zlisch
  • IRC nick: IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 10:54:57 pm »
+1
This times a million, look at the threads for the various positions in the cRPG hiarchy, then look at the upvotes, pretty much 100% of them are by friends and/or clanmates. Now, after this you look at the followup shitthreads by DaveUKR and Tomas attempting to get picked by making horrible suggestions and then circlejerking with eachother like crazy.

On the other hand, READMIN SMOOTHRICH, PERMABAN KESH AGAIN.
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline Necrorave

• Duke
  • Renown: 609
  • Infamy: 71
  • Who the fuck is this guy?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Dracul
  • Game nicks: Necrorave and or Cheesus Crust
  • IRC nick: Necrorave
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2013, 11:19:31 pm »
I think you seriously underestimate the amount of NA players who would take such a thing seriously.

I like you Matey, but I think you seriously underestimate the amount of bias this WILL have if put into place.  Admins have favorites and friends too, and also those that they hate (Even though that person may be a great admin.)

No matter how you look at something like this, it will be a popularity contest.  No thanks.

Offline Sparvico

• Marshall
  • Renown: 976
  • Infamy: 174
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Steam ID: Sparvico
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mossbacks
  • Game nicks: Sparvico et al.
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2013, 01:13:23 am »
+2
Frankly I don't think the community at large is qualified to elect admins. I certainly believe that if "community representative" positions existed they should be elected positions. Admins are not community representatives to the devs, they are not even necessarily powerful figures within the community (though some have certainly become so through their adminship).

To compare it to real life for a moment (dangerous on these forums I know):

Admins are really here to enforce the rules (like police officers), and as such the people most qualified for selecting admins are the people that make the Statutory Laws (the written rules) and the Common Laws (the case by case "common sense" rulings). The devs and head admins have the most knowledge about the qualities of character that an admin will need, and they have seen first hand those qualities of character that make someone a bad admin. The community, by and large, would vote exactly as citizens the world over vote (we are worse in America to be sure, but it can be seen in every "modern democracy"), namely with their gut, or with their friends. That, to me, sounds like a recipe for quite a bit of corruption.

I think most of the frustration that people have with admins is that they view the position as one of power within the community. While that can at times be true, the position of admin is more about duty and service to the community then about power. Admins simply enforce rules the devs have made, and supply their common sense and experience to situations were the rules are vague. They do this with no pay, and given the numerous and sundry duties the admins have that is actually rather impressive.

(click to show/hide)

Opening adminship to community elections would turn the reality above into a reality wherein admin positions would be more about power within the community then service to the community. And that is exactly the type of thing that causes corruption to become rampant.

As it is I would say admin corruption is at fairly minor levels. For instance, on the NA side of the map I think Chaos has the most admins, and yet they are losing their war in strat pretty soundly (no offense chaos guys, but it would do nothing to deny the reality of the situation). If corruption were truly an issue I think we would see a correlation between number of admins per clan, and what clans are "winning" strat. As it is we see the inverse to be true.

------

Also, I think that the admins should be accountable to the people that make the rules (i.e. the devs), making them accountable to the player base would only create an excuse for some admins to ignore the devs authority and make their own rules (as they would view their power as coming from the players and not the devs).

That said:

A system wherein the community could petition to have an admin removed of their position could be nice. It would achieve the removal of truly corrupt or abusive admins (I'm looking at you dach), without allowing for the power-plays that would result in making admin an elected position.
Mossback_Westwood: "I swear 2 my semitic God if you give me this bundle of sticks's address I'll cut off his ear and eat it"

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline isatis

• Duke
  • Renown: 624
  • Infamy: 78
  • cRPG Player
  • ink+water showing their true potential!
    • View Profile
    • le Clan des Cochons!
  • Faction: Le clan des Cochons!!
  • Game nicks: Cochon_Furtif_Isatis
  • IRC nick: Isatis
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2013, 02:43:26 am »
Democracy??

more like nepotism

I would gladly vote for awesome admin, but sadly cRPG is a clan game so no :(

So the new response to ranged ragers is not "get a shield", it is "learn to chamber ranged nub!"

Offline HappyPhantom

• Earl
  • Renown: 440
  • Infamy: 74
  • cRPG Player
  • Pew pew, your face!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Dracul, Always Take the Shot.
  • Game nicks: HappyPhantom, Marys of the Sea, Ancient of Mu Mu.
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2013, 02:45:36 am »
+2
All the players who would be good admins just probably couldn't be arsed dealing with all the childish e-peen shit that goes on here.
"Darklands" - The greatest game you never played: now on Steam http://store.steampowered.com/app/327930 | http://www.darklands.net/index.shtml

Offline FRANK_THE_TANK

• King
  • Renown: 1312
  • Infamy: 339
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • FluckCucker
    • View Profile
  • Faction: A Free and proud Peasant of Fisdnar!!!
  • Game nicks: FRANK_THE_TANK
  • IRC nick: Sippy sip
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2013, 11:16:21 am »
+2
Frank...

I like your post because it begins with Frank.

Frank for Admin 2012!
Fammi un pompino!

I think I have ball cancer in my right nut :(
Good news everybody! It's not nut cancer :)
Bad news everybody, I got dumped :(

Offline Sparvico

• Marshall
  • Renown: 976
  • Infamy: 174
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Steam ID: Sparvico
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mossbacks
  • Game nicks: Sparvico et al.
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2013, 05:35:36 am »
I like your post because it begins with Frank.

Frank for Admin 2012!

Edit: I would totally vote for Frank, and he's not even from North America.
Mossback_Westwood: "I swear 2 my semitic God if you give me this bundle of sticks's address I'll cut off his ear and eat it"

Offline Artyem

• King
  • Renown: 1218
  • Infamy: 264
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • SODOM Shaman
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Dracul / Raven / SODOMY
  • Game nicks: Artyem
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2013, 08:22:58 am »
+1
If this happened it would all come down to who's the most popular, which has proven in the past to not be very beneficial to our servers.

Sordida asinum latronibus sumus