Author Topic: Need more scene (map) managers!  (Read 707 times)

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
Need more scene (map) managers!
« on: June 17, 2013, 10:11:25 pm »
+9
View this thread for more specific info, posting here for visibility:
http://forum.meleegaming.com/scene-editing/something-has-to-change!/new/#new

But basically the gist of it is that Jacko's the only one sorting through new maps and edited maps, and he's sometimes a very busy person.  We've had stagnant maps on NA1 for a long time (gotta imagine it's the same as EU battle server), and my main gripe isn't even so much that new maps don't get added (and shit maps removed/updated), it's that the map rotation is always the same. 

I can put up with shit maps, it's just that sometimes we get shit map after shit map after shit map after shit map.  If the rotation was randomized more often, then it would make things more interesting for the players. 

So for me, the two main points are (in this order):

1) Randomize the map rotation more often
2) Get a couple more scene editors who can add and remove maps to the server map lists (there's a few good candidates who I know would do a great job)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline dynamike

• King
  • Renown: 1212
  • Infamy: 187
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Let's be friends again?
    • View Profile
    • The Remnants Clan Website
  • Faction: Stratia
  • Game nicks: Remnant_dynamike
Re: Need more scene (map) managers!
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 10:13:49 pm »
For while the fire in the heart of a single Remnant still burns... can Stratia truly have fallen?

Offline obitus

• Earl
  • Renown: 486
  • Infamy: 58
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeAOv_H-hh0&hd=1
  • Faction: kings of kd
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 02:48:10 am »
+7
Scenes (maps) are by far the worst part of this mod.  Gameplay is influenced very heavily by scenes.  Scenes are also one of the main ways to deliver fresh content to the playerbase.

When the map rotation hasn't been altered for months at a time the playerbase will become bored and leave.

Offline Tydeus

• King
  • Renown: 1422
  • Infamy: 351
  • Item re-unbalance guy
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tydeus
  • IRC nick: Tydeus
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 05:15:41 am »
+2
Scenes (maps) are by far the worst part of this mod.  Gameplay is influenced very heavily by scenes.  Scenes are also one of the main ways to deliver fresh content to the playerbase.

When the map rotation hasn't been altered for months at a time the playerbase will become bored and leave.
Map designers have the unique ability to completely change the way the mod is played.
chadz> i wouldnt mind seeing some penis on my character

Offline Tzar

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 564
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_TzarOfRushYa
  • IRC nick: TZAR
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 05:21:39 am »
Map with hills = Ranged domination

Map with open plains = Cav domination

City maps = Inf domination

Right now we have a good mix

But we seem to lack maps that have a bit of everything...
I've never played a server where people split up as much or as often as on EU1.  No wonder range is having a field day.

Offline Tom Cruise

• Duke
  • Renown: 685
  • Infamy: 144
  • cRPG Player
  • All I do is shitpost anymore in this game.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tom_Cruise_Dota_Fanatic
  • IRC nick: Tom_Cruise
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2013, 06:15:43 am »

The problem with having a bit of everything is that its more than likely the teams will "exploit" and use different areas to their advantage. For example if there is a with and open plain/field, a small village, and some hills where do you think the most logical place to go is? The most likely one being the village and then the hills as an alternate. So if one team camps the village then what? Or the hills? To prevent the camping where would you would just go for flags though right? But where would you put those? In the open field? Just painting targets on you for cav and archers. But your not going to put it in the village to where one team might be already and have the advantage. Its difficult to get everything into one map.

Offline obitus

• Earl
  • Renown: 486
  • Infamy: 58
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeAOv_H-hh0&hd=1
  • Faction: kings of kd
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2013, 06:21:01 am »

I couldn't ever beat Tropical for class balance.  Every class has areas to play there.

Pitfalls is still the most unique.

At one point I was tempted to make an entire mesh pack for greek parthenons ruins that everyone could use to make new themed maps, but I lost interest.

Offline Zlisch_The_Butcher

• King
  • Renown: 1272
  • Infamy: 971
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction: Frisian Church of Mork The Goat God
  • Game nicks: Zlisch
  • IRC nick: IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2013, 06:52:12 am »
Map designers have the unique ability to completely change the way the mod is played.
That requires a map manager who got time to do his part.
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2013, 08:52:23 am »
+2
We simply need a new Jacko as he is clearly too busy. Someone who is able to compile the maps and get them ready for patches, in fact he should be able to do map related patches independent of chadz or any other devs, because the twice a year patches we have is really annoying for mapmakers. We need the developers to give Jacko's job to someone who actually has the time to do it. Preferably multiple persons actually.

When that is taken care of, I would personally be willing to go through the entire rotation to bugfix, improve or badmouth all the maps. I could even be arsed to make some maps, because there is no point in doing so right now. I have made 4 and only one, the shittiest one, ever made it in.

I think a major flaw in the map rotation system is that the list is borked or something. As far as I have read the map rotation should randomize at the daily server restart and then go down a list until the rotation is randomized again. This way you will play every map as much as the other and I think this is a good system. It doesn't seem to actually work this way though, I can play a map twice in the course of one and a half hours. I do get the impression that I play a bunch of maps a whole lot more than I play others.

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2013, 06:34:41 pm »
+2
I just want NA admins to have control over the NA Siege map rotation. It's full of these maps that are probably balanced in EU with 80 players, but with the ~30 players that we usually have on NA, attackers win >80% of the time. The best solution is to adjust defender respawn time to be a function of server population for all maps, but if that isn't possible, NA needs to have more defender-friendly siege maps.

Offline betard_lulz

• Count
  • Renown: 179
  • Infamy: 167
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2013, 06:36:37 pm »
At fifteen, I had the will to  learn ; at thirty, I could stand ; at forty, I had no  doubts ; at fifty, I understood the heavenly Bidding ;  at sixty, my ears were opened ; at seventy, I could  do as my heart lusted without trespassing from the  square.
At fifteen, I had the will to  learn ; at thirty, I could stand ; at forty, I had no  doubts ; at fifty, I understood the heavenly Bidding ;  at sixty, my ears were opened ; at seventy, I could  do as my heart lusted without trespassing from the  square.
lol
mod hath past it's life
mod is soooo dead

Offline Elindor

• King
  • Renown: 1178
  • Infamy: 158
  • Caelitus mihi vires
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Order of the Holy Guard
  • Game nicks: Elindor
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2013, 10:04:22 pm »
+1
We need two things:

1 - Someone with enough time to do what they need to do - this will solve a lot of problems, but not all.
2 - The devs to give the admins the ABILITY to do those things - this is the major hangup from what i understand.

As it stands, map admins can "put new maps in rotation" but they wont go LIVE until a dev (cmp, chadz, etc) actually restarts the server....and the map admins cannot do this part.  So updates take months.
Elindor, Archon of the Holy Guard
Holy Guard Thread :HERE
Banner Shop : HERE // Map Thread : HERE