Author Topic: Looking for Wurm Online buddies  (Read 4812 times)

Offline Leesin

• King
  • Renown: 1009
  • Infamy: 230
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Leesin
Re: Looking for Wurm Online buddies
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2013, 06:25:08 pm »
If you're playing WURM for the PVP (or even PVM) you're doing it wrong.

It's super fucking tedious as it is to get your skills up.  You think crpg is a massive grind?   :lol:

Then whats the point of it, building shit is boring if there is no reason to build it lol.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2013, 06:28:10 pm »
The PVP and fighting in general is fucking terrible.  That's why I say if you're playing WURM for the PVP/PVM you're doing it wrong.

I personally enjoy and look for games that have open world PVP and no instances (have to compete for resources).  That being said, WURM is fun, but not for the PVP or PVM.  It's also really tedious to get skills up or to build things/terraform.  But if you're a meth addict or have absolutely nothing to do with your time, it's a fun game.

If the skill gain was about 4 times faster than what it is now, it would be a lot better.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Necrorave

• Duke
  • Renown: 609
  • Infamy: 71
  • Who the fuck is this guy?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Dracul
  • Game nicks: Necrorave and or Cheesus Crust
  • IRC nick: Necrorave
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2013, 06:34:03 pm »
+1
Then whats the point of it, building shit is boring if there is no reason to build it lol.

Crazy probably played in the Home Servers of PvP.  Where the battles are rare and raids are usually quick sneak attacks.  The PvP is a bad grind, but once you get there you can do whatever you wish.  Just because Crazycracka never had experiences with PvP does not mean they don't exist.

In the PvP cluster there is a middle server that Everyone is fighting for control on.  The "Skilled" and well trained players go there after spending time on the Home server leveling up their abilities.  Nonetheless, PvP can be accomplished anywhere.  I had to scare off some new player from stealing my crops.  I only hit hit twice before he ran off, but the freedom of PvP is always there.  The "Battles" are just more common elsewhere.

It all comes down to if you like slow paced sandbox games.  I do, so I enjoy it.  Others may not, why else would you think I have a hard time finding people to play with? ;p

Offline Tennenoth

• Marshall
  • Renown: 818
  • Infamy: 85
  • "Bloody peasant archers!"
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild (Head)
  • Game nicks: Guard_Tenne; Guard_The_Biscuits; Guard_Bugden; Guard_Tennenuff
  • IRC nick: Tennenoth
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2013, 07:08:13 pm »
+1
It's certainly a game that requires friends to truly enjoy.

I play alongside four other people who each have their favoured skill set that they put the most time into, for example, VincentRuth is very much the blades & armour smith alongside a high quality mason (building houses and walls etc), I'm a leatherworker & bowyer and all of us have fighting/hunting skills to defend what we own.

The combat is very much like a first person old style RPG, such as Baldur's Gate. So sort of D&D in essence. You have skills, you have equipment & that all adds up to percentage chances to do things, such as block with your shield, parry with your sword or land a hit with your maul. Each individual weapon has it's own skill set alongside an overarching weapon type skill. (Same for quite a few skills really)

All those skills add up to give you your ability to fight, so when you initiate combat, you do have a few options, and more when you increase in those skills, but for example, I am 70 fighting skill (so I have hit a reasonable level over my four months of play) so I have the ability to choose where to attack in a compass type way, and I can do "special" moves dependent on where I am choosing to attack. For example I can do a flourish of light attacks to help stop the opposition from doing a their own special (interrupt) or I could simply pommel strike them in the ribs to make them lose stamina, and therefore fight less efficiently.

It's not a "basic MMO" type of combat, it's very much a take on D&D I feel.

On the rest of the stuff, it can be quite tedious, such as the skill grinding, repeating actions & it can really make you think about macroing, but the best way to sort of ignore that is to either do it in short bursts, or do something else at the same time. I personally have youtuber/tv playing on 2/3 of my screen while the other 1/3 is my Wurm client with all the items laid out in the most click efficient manner.

As someone previously said, most of the world is player made, entire cities to the smallest of villages have been created by players, the land has been shaped by them to accommodate their ideas. I personally love the sense of achievement of seeing a hilly area become a flat plane let alone before you've built what you want there.

I was lucky enough to be taken in by the Templars when I first started, they took me from the spawn, they gave me armour & set me on my way to being useful to them. I would do the same for anyone who wants to play too.

BullDog Clan member since 31/08/2010 / Caravan Guild member since 03/08/2010

How to understand what I say.
Always finish your tea and biscuits regardless of how terrible they are

Offline Leesin

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2013, 11:50:54 pm »
+1
What Kingdom you in Tenne?

EDIT: After reading some peoples older posts I am guessing Mol Rehan, going to that homeland to start fucking about and seeing what I can do lol.

EDIT2: After playing for a little while and learning some basic stuff, I am actually kinda having fun :P. Even though the fighting is so massively basic, it was fun stabbing some guy to death who had the HUNTED thing on his name after he attacked another player for no reason. Though I am having a hard time foraging cotton and have half my health gone to a severe spider bite wound lol.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 01:47:21 am by Leesin »

Offline Necrorave

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2013, 01:50:51 am »
severe spider bite wound lol.

Yea, that thing is going to keep bleeding until it gets treated, or you bleed out.

Offline Banok

• Duke
  • Renown: 521
  • Infamy: 215
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2013, 03:04:59 am »
+1
I've never actually tried this game because I heard about the atrocious grind and I once watched a video of the "combat" in this game, which made chess look like quake.

I've heard it still has some redeeming features, but what I don't understand is why play this over haven & hearth or salem? seems to have simular (but better?) features.

Offline Tennenoth

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2013, 05:34:09 am »
+2
What Kingdom you in Tenne?

EDIT: After reading some peoples older posts I am guessing Mol Rehan, going to that homeland to start fucking about and seeing what I can do lol.

EDIT2: After playing for a little while and learning some basic stuff, I am actually kinda having fun :P. Even though the fighting is so massively basic, it was fun stabbing some guy to death who had the HUNTED thing on his name after he attacked another player for no reason. Though I am having a hard time foraging cotton and have half my health gone to a severe spider bite wound lol.

Mol Rehan - Desertion - Epic

That should be it.

Yeah, I think Vinnie is looking to take people in now that we have a settlement set up, I would much prefer people that I already know so, that's my preference, I'm sure Vinnie will be fine with it (I shall check of course since he lived there first) so if we're online, I might as well head to the spawn and pick up people who fancy playing. I'm sure we could build a boarding house since we're clearing a lot of space.

I'll check with Vinnie first of course, I don't want to alienate him more than I already did about 20 minutes ago! (He'll know what I'm talking about).

Anyway, dying when you're new shouldn't matter that much, I'm still undefeated... I expect Vince Truth  :lol: will be the one to end me first though.

Offline Leesin

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2013, 10:19:16 am »
+1
Yea, that thing is going to keep bleeding until it gets treated, or you bleed out.

Nah it isn't bleeding, I am hard as nails son.

Mol Rehan - Desertion - Epic

That should be it.

Yeah, I think Vinnie is looking to take people in now that we have a settlement set up, I would much prefer people that I already know so, that's my preference, I'm sure Vinnie will be fine with it (I shall check of course since he lived there first) so if we're online, I might as well head to the spawn and pick up people who fancy playing. I'm sure we could build a boarding house since we're clearing a lot of space.

I'll check with Vinnie first of course, I don't want to alienate him more than I already did about 20 minutes ago! (He'll know what I'm talking about).

Anyway, dying when you're new shouldn't matter that much, I'm still undefeated... I expect Vince Truth  :lol: will be the one to end me first though.

Well I'll be quite happy just to have a box to put shit in and some people to play with and show me the ropes a bit, I would quite happily work towards building my own house etc.

EDIT: I managed to bandage my severe wound but people are saying it will eventually kill me if I don't get a decent healing cover on it... man just seems like I'd have been better off dying instead of wasting money and time lol.

EDIT2: Someone told me to make healing covers, which I managed to do so out of bear tooth and herbs I found and I managed to treat the wound on 3rd attempt, thank fuck for that.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 11:52:41 am by Leesin »

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Strategus Councillor
  • Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2013, 04:10:46 pm »
+1
bear tooth you "found".

You thieving fuck!   :twisted:

God damn you guys are starting to make me interested in playing again, this is not acceptable.  There's lots of NA strat battles tonight, but I might be able to talk to some guys I used to play with and see if they want to get back into it tomorrow.

Banok a game like this is much more able to terraform than a game like haven and heart, or Salem.  It's not a top level "rogue" game either.   It's a really really in depth game.  Depending on where you are on the world map there's different types of plants and trees and animals.  You can dig down quite deep into the earth.  You literally level the ground (which affects the tiles next to you).  It can be pretty hard to make a "flat" piece of land more than like 10x10 tiles, even if you start with relatively flat terrain.
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Tennenoth

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2013, 07:52:20 pm »
+1
As with everywhere else, I am named "Tennenoth" so /tell me if you're online. I'll come and pick you up and incur the wrath of Mr Truth at a later date when he is online.

A couple of screenshots of our small area, we've got plenty of farm land to keep an entire city alive (stockpiled something like 1,700 potatoes & 900 pumpkins so...) Everything is very much a work in progress since "we" are flattening the area in order to get more land to build on, so some things are looking a little worse for wear where they've been smacking about & moved. We're getting there, we're in land far enough so you we can't be seen from the rivers edge and our neighbours are good people.

Well, if you ignore the bloody youtuber who has set up across the river from us... He attracts a lot of attention... His village members are indoctrinated by him far too heavily & seem to think it's alright to bugger up other peoples stuff because their youtube master will pay his way to sorting things out.

Other than that, plenty of room and a nice place to live. We have a forest for easy food, we have a desert for fighting skill training & we are on a small island that not a lot of people visit. It's picturesque really.

(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

I may have also pulled a few strings and got the place named "Halmar"... So ignore that! ;)

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Strategus Councillor
  • Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2013, 07:56:31 pm »
It's beautiful...and quite impressive.  (That's what she said)
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Leesin

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2013, 08:25:42 pm »
Looks awesome Tenne!, What times and days/night are you usually on? I probably wont get much time over the weekend, only a couple hours on an evening or two, but I'll be around all day Tuesday day and then probably all evening and night on Friday.

My name was LeeUK, but the game made it Leeuk  :lol:. I have got myself a large wooden shield and a couple of Longswords, I have been cutting down trees with the 60ql one and keeping my 80ql Longsword for fighting stuff. I also want start mining stuff so I should be able to help you guys gather resources even if I can't make much just yet.

I'm gonna be on now for about an hour and a half but that's it so perhaps have to wait for either Tuesday or one evening next week.

Offline Necrorave

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2013, 08:37:07 pm »
+1
I have been cutting down trees with the 60ql one and keeping my 80ql Longsword for fighting stuff.

Good steal you got there ;p

Offline Tennenoth

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2013, 08:44:51 pm »
+1
Looks awesome Tenne!, What times and days/night are you usually on? I probably wont get much time over the weekend, only a couple hours on an evening or two, but I'll be around all day Tuesday day and then probably all evening and night on Friday.

My name was LeeUK, but the game made it Leeuk  :lol:. I have got myself a large wooden shield and a couple of Longswords, I have been cutting down trees with the 60ql one and keeping my 80ql Longsword for fighting stuff. I also want start mining stuff so I should be able to help you guys gather resources even if I can't make much just yet.

I'm gonna be on now for about an hour and a half but that's it so perhaps have to wait for either Tuesday or one evening next week.

Varies quite wildly depending on my Uni schedule but I am usually on after 5/6pm UK time (GMT right now I believe). Chances are I'll be on most of this evening because I've been ill all week, and I'll probably be online a lot of Saturday too. (Made me sound like I was planning to be ill tomorrow too.)

Yeah, 80ql longsword is a good "find"! We'll put you to work down in one of our numerous mines though, no worries on that one.