Poll

Do you want to see a repair option for gear to be implemented?

Yes, as described
21 (52.5%)
Yes, but repairs should ONLY be possible in fiefs where points are invested for the item
12 (30%)
No, I like broken stuff
4 (10%)
No, broken stuff can always be sold
3 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Author Topic: Gear Repair Option  (Read 704 times)

Offline dynamike

• King
  • Renown: 1212
  • Infamy: 187
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Let's be friends again?
    • View Profile
    • The Remnants Clan Website
  • Faction: Stratia
  • Game nicks: Remnant_dynamike
Gear Repair Option
« on: May 31, 2013, 09:13:28 pm »
+17
Problem:
You spend weeks building an army. You are finally done, strutting around like a prize dog with your shiny, triple loomed gear peen of internet glory. All is well in the lands of Calradia.

But then comes the first battle. Even though you might have won it, your items list is a mess of various layers of broken stuff after the fight. Your items look something like this:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

And for half your inventory the only option is to sell the broken stuff and find a place where you can buy it new again. Seriously, who does not hate that?

Question:
Selling/scrapping stuff when it is broken is something you do in real life as well with, let's say your car, your computer or your relationship (if you ever had one), right? Basically all the valuable things in life, right? And thank god you do, the economy would be in much worse shape if you didn't.

"No!" you say? You say things can be fixed sometimes instead of being replaced? Hold on now, are we on to something here?

Solution:
Implement a repair option for broken Strat stuff.

Allow repairs of broken gear in any fief up to the "normal" (+0) item state. Allow repairs to higher item states (+1, +2, +3) in places where the appropriate points have been invested. Something like this:

Price the repairs according to the base item value divided by the maximum levels (8 levels; -4 to +3). Then multiply by the number of levels to be repaired to get to the normal state (+0). For example:

Mail Mittens - base price: 15 gold
Repair costs: 15 gold / 8 levels = 1.875 gold per level

Repair from -4 to normal (+0):
4 levels of repair --> 1.875 x 4 = 7.5 gold repair cost

Repair from -2 to normal (+0):
2 levels of repair --> 1.875 x 2 = 3.75 gold repair cost

The same works for fiefs with points invested:
Repair from -4 to +3:
8 levels of repair --> 1.875 x 8 = 15 gold repair cost

Additional advantages:
- Encourages travel, since players with un-loomed gear can roam the lands and upgrade their gear at the appropriate fiefs
- Limits battles where some inventory items are initially not available (locked) because too many items appear, some of which is because different levels of items are in the inventory

VOTE TODAY TO SAVE A KITTEN/PUPPY/MAID IN PERIL
For while the fire in the heart of a single Remnant still burns... can Stratia truly have fallen?

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
Re: Gear Repair Option
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 09:55:30 pm »
I said yes as described, but I think it should not be an even ratio (of repair costs 1/8th of the total cost), I think it should be your math, but the end result doubled.  So -4 to normal would cost the same as the item originally cost.  I don't think it should be the same price to repair items as it cost to buy them, there should be some penalty as this would be very beneficial to armies.
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Malaclypse

• King
  • Renown: 1299
  • Infamy: 146
  • In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 10:56:09 pm »
+5
The leather gloves are a bad example. -1, -2, -3 ,-4 leather gloves are just as useful as +0 lol
You think you're pretty smart with your dago mustache and your greasy hair.

Offline dynamike

• King
  • Renown: 1212
  • Infamy: 187
  • Let's be friends again?
    • View Profile
    • The Remnants Clan Website
  • Faction: Stratia
  • Game nicks: Remnant_dynamike
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013, 11:03:34 pm »
+2
The leather gloves are a bad example. -1, -2, -3 ,-4 leather gloves are just as useful as +0 lol

Damn you Mala and your attentiveness. Why do you think they are the only thing left in my equipment that I could use as a screen shot example?  :P
For while the fire in the heart of a single Remnant still burns... can Stratia truly have fallen?

Offline Zlisch_The_Butcher

• King
  • Renown: 1272
  • Infamy: 971
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction: Frisian Church of Mork The Goat God
  • Game nicks: Zlisch
  • IRC nick: IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2013, 03:39:08 am »
+2
Being able to repair to 0+ in fiefs with no investment in the item is silly seeing as items are -2 by default.
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline DUKE DICKBUTT

• Baron
  • Renown: 138
  • Infamy: 119
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2013, 09:18:18 am »
The deterioration of gear is a mechanic used to take money OUT of the Strategus economy.  Just like 5% fee on the crpg marketplace for any transfers or trades involving money.  A repair option would just mean less money leaves the Strategus economy or slows the removal of money.

Offline FRANK_THE_TANK

• King
  • Renown: 1312
  • Infamy: 339
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • FluckCucker
    • View Profile
  • Faction: A Free and proud Peasant of Fisdnar!!!
  • Game nicks: FRANK_THE_TANK
  • IRC nick: Sippy sip
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2013, 02:09:56 am »
+1
I say nay! The current system is a perfect work of art thought up by men of utter brilliance! Any attempt to change it would be a travesty against modern art and not in keeping with the fine tradition of c-rpg aka raping the player base on a psychological level.

The deterioration of gear is a mechanic used to take money OUT of the Strategus economy.  Just like 5% fee on the crpg marketplace for any transfers or trades involving money.  A repair option would just mean less money leaves the Strategus economy or slows the removal of money.

Question:

How is this relevant? Why is the removal of money through bullshit good?

Answer:

It's not relevant. Removing money through bullshit mechanics is pointless.

------

If the devs are annoyed by the fact that clans save up and by heavy Armour for thier armies they should a) get the fuck over it or b) change the price structure of gear manually and make mid tier gear 25% of the cost of heavy gear therefore creating more of an incentive to use the cheap crap.

This however is and would be pointless because at the end of the day accumulating tickets is the slow and difficult part. They gear is completely irrelevant. Everyone coats their armies in top end hard core shit because each ticket is such a pain in the arse to get! If you double the price people will just wait longer!

Also upkeep on troops already burns giant holes in the economy.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 02:16:15 am by FRANK_THE_TANK »
Fammi un pompino!

I think I have ball cancer in my right nut :(
Good news everybody! It's not nut cancer :)
Bad news everybody, I got dumped :(

Offline Matey

• King
  • Renown: 1327
  • Infamy: 372
  • cRPG Player
  • A Pirate
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Matey_BRD
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2013, 10:59:42 pm »
+2
Maybe even give the option of having smiths in your army that can repair things to normal values to help out field armies... even if you had to upkeep the smiths or something...