Author Topic: UnReal World  (Read 3138 times)

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
UnReal World
« on: May 29, 2013, 07:42:11 am »
+10
http://www.unrealworld.fi/

Engelbrekt Kaumolainen vs Wild

Surviving Iron Age Finland

Part 1: The River

I used to fish with my uncle. From him I learned to respect the guardian spirits of the water and began to admire the power of water and dreamt of becoming a great fisherman one day.
On one of the fishing days we were caught in a sudden storm and our punt capsized... All the fish we had caught, along with me and my uncle, fell into the water. My uncle, being a great fisherman that he was, never learned to swim. The water was too cold and my limbs were starting to feel numb... so I had to leave my uncle to the water spirits, while I swam back to shore.
I knew my village wouldn't take this very well. I decided to grab all fishing equipment I could carry and left my lands for good.

I am Engelbrekt Kaumolainen, and I'm going to show you what it takes to survive in the Wild.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

First of June, year 916 AD, morning. After having ran away from my village, I find myself in what I believe to be the Driik lands. As a child I recall this land being called "Kimomäki", the Greyhill. I managed to grab enough equipment to help me survive.

The food I have will suffice. What I need to find is water to drink... and possibly a good river I can fish in, because sooner or later, I am going to run out of food.
About a half days walk in the "Soujareitti" region, I stumble upon two villages.

Those will come in handy later, when I need some tools or other stuff I can't find or craft myself in the Wild. I go to that lake to have a drink of fresh water, as I was getting thirsty. The lake could provide me with some fish, but a river is going to be much better in that regard.
I continue my search for a river.

As I travel the Driik lands I notice several villages. The area is really densely populated. I refrain from going too close to any of the villages and keep looking for a river. I stumble upon what I first thought was a river, but then turned out to be a big lake. It is late evening, and I am beginning to get tired, so this is where I sleep tonight, out in the open.

I eat the smoked bear cut I had with me, and dive into a wild slumber.
I wake up in the early hours of June 2nd. My search for a river continues. This area has a lot of big lakes, but knowing fishing like my left hand, I know that what I need is a river with rapids, where catching fish with the 2 nets I brought with me will prove fruitful.
Just as the sun rises, I finally find a river.

This is where I settle for now. The region of "Suurkosket", the Great Rapids. The area has enough trees to build a shelter and provide material for fire and the river for food. I still got a fresh pike in my backpack from my last fishing session, so I build a fire and roast it.
Next up - building a shelter, in case the rains come! Since I don't have an axe to fell a tree, I need to use my rough knife - takes me about an hour to cut down a small tree, but that should be enough to set up a basic shelter. I decide to craft a staff that I can later use as a javelin for hunting from one of the slender tree trunks that I got from felling that small tree. Takes me almost 5 hours to make a staff out of it with my rough knife, which leaves me exhausted and hungry.
The food reserves I had are starting to deplete, and catching fishes with the net takes time, if the water spirits are good to me. I decide that I will place those fishing nets before building a shelter, but am too exhausted to do it, so I lay on the ground and fall asleep.

Perkele, Mother Nature punishes me. I wake up to rain. I should have built that shelter! Well, I managed to get enough rest to have the energy to place fishing nets into the rapids. If the water spirits will it, this should provide me with a good load of fish after a couple of days.
After placing the nets, I also do some active fishing. I need a few fishes to survive until those nets fill up.
Several hours later, no fish. It is early morning, and I'm beginning to get tired. I abandon my fishing task empty handed to build a shelter instead - Mother Nature will not surprise me again like that. I pick up one of the slender tree trunks I chopped up before and a few spruce twings. I cut down another young pine for more slender tree trunks and build my shelter.
As hours pass, and sun falls behing the trees, rain starts to fall again. Good thing I built this shelter. I drink some water from the river, eat the last of my deer meat and fall asleep.

I have only one rye bread left. This is not going to last me even a day. Tomorrow I will pray to the Water Spirits and hope for a good catch, then go on a hunting trip. The fishing nets are not going to provide me fishes for at least a day, so I need to catch something edible or hunger will come.

Part 2: Hunger
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 11:16:09 pm by Vibe »

Offline okiN

• Marshall
  • Renown: 924
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Engelbrekt Kaumolainen vs Wild
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 03:41:15 pm »
+1
FUCKING LYNXES

NJERPEZ IS PIG
Don't.

Offline Panos

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 1319
  • Infamy: 551
  • cRPG Player
  • Hate for 2h kuyak my old friends.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Varangian Guard
  • Game nicks: Varangian_Panos
  • IRC nick: Panos
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 03:45:24 pm »
is this game free?

Offline okiN

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 04:18:53 pm »
No, it's been shareware since the early nineties, and AFAIK is still being developed to some degree or other.

Edit: oh shit, I checked the site and apparently it went freeware this year. End of an era, more than 20 years of URW.
Don't.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2013, 04:31:41 pm »
+1
Yeah, went free a few months ago.

http://unrealworld.fi/

Offline Panos

• Permanently Banned
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2013, 04:34:42 pm »
No, it's been shareware since the early nineties, and AFAIK is still being developed to some degree or other.

Edit: oh shit, I checked the site and apparently it went freeware this year. End of an era, more than 20 years of URW.

care to share a DL link please??

Google is showing me some spa shit when I search for Engelbrekt Kaumolainen vs Wild

Offline okiN

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2013, 05:25:05 pm »
Oh and by the way

How's it feel to be a dirty, inferior peasant? 8-)
Don't.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2013, 05:29:29 pm »
+1
care to share a DL link please??

Google is showing me some spa shit when I search for Engelbrekt Kaumolainen vs Wild

I put a link in a post above http://unrealworld.fi/

Engelbrekt Kaumolainen vs Wild is the name of the "survival log" I'm writing while playing UrW :)

Oh and by the way

How's it feel to be a dirty, inferior peasant? 8-)

Whatever bitch, true survivalists use peasant shit for greater challenge

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2013, 12:15:14 am »
+3
Part 2: Hunger

June 4th, early morning. I perform a hunting incantation, that the sages on my travels have thought me. It is supposed to help you track down wildlife, but I never believed in it. But first - fishing - I need enough food to survive the hunting trip. Several hours of fishing provided me two perches... which I gobbled up straight away because I was hungry from the fishing. Oh the irony! I'm back at start. I will fish more.
Again, several hours without success, I have also eaten my last piece of rye bread, so I have no food left. Beggining to feel the hunger, as the water spirits decide to finally reward me with a bream, a roach and a perch. Yet this is barely enough to satisfy my hunger. After eating all three fishes, I am again left without any food... well, at least I satisfied my desire for food now.
Out of despair I decide to pull out one of my fishing nets, but find no fish in it. Since the river has proven to be bad for fishing with my rod, I travel to the nearby lake to try my luck there. Fortunately after a short fishing session I end up with 6 fishes, which is the biggest catch so far.

By now I was really starting to feel the lack of food in the past two days. All exhausted and nearly starving I set up a fire to roast the fishes I just caught. I fall asleep while the pikes were still roasting, spoiling them. They're still edible though, and being big fishes, this should keep me fed through the day.
I return to camp to check the other net, only to find out that the fishes caught in the second net have already became rotten! The Water Spirits grant me no luck with net fishing. I will have to be more careful which day I have placed the nets, as to not wait too long with picking the net back up.
I also seem to have gotten a minor nausea from eating those spoiled pikes... But my condition and food supply should be good enough to go on a short hunting trip.
While I was trying to climb a tree to scout for surrounding wildlife, I felt my stomach was turning around inside. I barfed. The nausea has gotten worse.

After climbing a few trees, scouting the area, and even bruising my knee from falling down from one, I notice a squirrel to the north-east. It's not the biggest animal, but it'll have to do for now. I climb down and pursue it. As I reach the ground, I go in the direction I saw the squirrel, however after looking for a while I fail to find it.
At this point I feel very tired. I decide to go back to my camp. I check one of the fishing nets and find two fishes in it. Not the catch I was hoping for, but should be sufficient as a supply for my next hunting trip tomorrow. And the nausea seems to have faded away.

June 10th. I have been going out on hunting trips for the past few days, but no luck. I catch barely enough fish to survive the day and I have no back up food. Things are starting to look down as I see my body become skinnier and skinnier. I am hungry every day.
I keep pulling my fishing nets out of the river empty. I'm going to try relocating them a bit, see if they do better elsewhere. The Water Spirits better grant me some good catch, because I am beginning to starve.
After a few unsuccessful fishing trips I decide to go look for other prey. Half a days search and I finally stumble upon a rabbit.

I quickly go into hiding to not make him escape. I start approaching the rabbit and he doesn't seem to notice me just yet. I draw my bow and nock an arrow... shoot... the arrow flies right into spruce. The rabbit is immediately alerted and makes his swift escape and I am left with nothing. I pick up the arrow that missed and look for rabbit tracks, but find none.
As the days pass, my starvation continues. My stomach does not let me get a good rest and I can feel this lowering my hunting and fishing performance. One June 13th, I return to my camp.
As I pull my fishing net up I pray to Water Spirits. I have been without food for 3 days straight at least, if my mind is still right.

Only one of my nets caught fishes, but it was the best catch so far. My eyes water with joy. I am going to greatly enjoy eating this... as I would enjoy eating just about anything right now. The fishes I caught should keep me fed for a while.
Actively fishing has proven unfruitful, so I decide to keep scouting the surrounding area for wildlife. I notice a big animal in the distance... an Elk! It would be incredible to capture such a big animal. I start following the Elk and by sheer luck I managed to get it trapped on a smal peninsula.

I ready my bow and shoot. The first 4 arrows miss, but the last one scratches the beasts' thorax and makes it fall down.

It seems to be unconscious. I do not risk anything and make a run to the fallen animal. The Elk rises and starts running just as I come close to it. I quickly draw another arrow that scratches it's shoulder. The Elk is running away and I run after it.
In the wild chase I lose sight of the Elk a few times, but it's leaving obvious tracks from the panic run. Again, luck smiles upon me as I catch the Elk again on a small peninsula. Only one way out for the beast - and that's through my dead body.

I swiftly grab my spear and aim for Elk's legs. I land a solid hit and the beast stumbles to the ground. I keep hitting it with the blunt edge of my spear as to not ruin the skin. I think I hit it at least 30 times on the head until I decided to end it's misery, and pierce its skull with my spear.
I finally take a deep breath to recover from the battle as the Elk lays dead at my feet. I grab the knife and skin it... the leather is going to come in handy later. I cut up the carcass which gives me around 200 lbs of elk cuts. This is more than I can carry, so I decide to leave some behind.
This much meat is going to keep me fed for a long time. But I know it's not going to last... it's going to get ruined if I don't preserve it somehow. The only possible way of preserving the meat at the moment is using a sauna in one of the Driik villages to smoke the meat, so I make my way towards the populated Driik area to find a village with a sauna.

16th June, I find a sauna building in one of the Driik villages at Hirvikolkka. I'm going to need cords to bind the smoked meat together, so I take off my trousers and rip them up a bit to get a few cords. I prepare 95 elk cuts in the sauna for smoking. The villagers there tell me the process is going to take 16 days. I have no choice but to trust them with my meat and hope they don't steal it.
I have no idea how long the rest of the cuts are going to last before they get ruined. Hopefully they will keep me fed for at least a few days. As of now, things are finally starting to look bright and the era of hunger is over... for now.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 12:20:06 am by Vibe »

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2013, 12:16:03 am »
-oops, accident post

Offline Panos

• Permanently Banned
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2013, 12:19:34 am »
Thanks for this Vibe, your narrative skills are very good.

I`ll be looking forward for what happens next!

Offline Armpit_Sweat

• High Lord of the Spam
  • King
  • Renown: 1417
  • Infamy: 154
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Armpit_Sweat, My_horses_name_is_Rebecca
Re: Engelbrekt Kaumolainen vs Wild (@ Part 2)
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2013, 08:36:40 am »
+1
Best reading i had in a long while! I am genuinely intrigued!

More please!

Spam at The Temple of Spam

Offline Polobow

• Count
  • Renown: 267
  • Infamy: 30
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: SoA
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2014, 09:06:57 pm »
Unreal World nog on Greenlight

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=249428292
(Make this unreal world thread?)

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2014, 11:13:52 pm »
Yeah will rename, since I lost the rest of my story :(

Offline Polobow

• Count
  • Renown: 267
  • Infamy: 30
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: SoA
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2014, 11:29:37 pm »
Yeah will rename, since I lost the rest of my story :(

Darn what happend