Author Topic: A Warrior's Path - CRPG CYOA  (Read 8857 times)

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • Renown: 2174
  • Infamy: 227
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WITCHCRAFT, A_Hot_Elf_Princess, Yurnero_of_the_High_Plains, and secret alts
A Warrior's Path - CRPG CYOA
« on: May 29, 2013, 06:39:35 am »
+54
WTF IS CYOA? No way am I reading all this garbage!

CYOA stands for Choose Your Own Adventure. They are a style of book with multiple endings. After each chapter, you will get to choose what happens next. “To go down the ladder into the darkness, turn to page 79” or “To call the police, turn to page 17” are the type of options you get. I am going to try and “run” a CYOA thread. My posts will be a few paragraphs long, with (really poor quality, but still fun) drawings and doodles to enhance your reading pleasure! At the end of each, I will post several options on what our character could do next. Whichever one is the most popular with you guys is what happens next. Feel free to request actions other than the ones I post, but know that they probably won’t get picked unless they are really good.

Why the hell is this here?! Move it to off-topic! BAN OP

The beginning might not seem to have anything to do with CRPG at all, but give it some time to get going. I'd like to include some CRPG-specific references and (and humor). If it gets moved to off-topic then nobody but trolls will read and comment on it.

Note: If you like to draw, feel free to illustrate anything that happens during our adventure! Even if you’re really bad at it (like me) it will still be fun. Watching all the different entries when Tanken asked people to draw his character inspired me to add this note to my thread.

Upvote a post if you agree the story should follow that option. That will make it much easier for me to gauge your guys' interest.

[space reserved for a planned area map and list of characters]

And now, it begins…
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 09:25:51 am by A_Hot_Elf_Princess »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

irl something shorted on the shuttle and laika overheated and died within a few hours of liftoff and for a brief while one could look up to the stars and see a light shooting across the sky that was actually a warm dog corpse slingshoting about the earth at thousands of miles per hour which was arguably humanity's greatest achievement so far

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WITCHCRAFT, A_Hot_Elf_Princess, Yurnero_of_the_High_Plains, and secret alts
Re: A Warrior's Path - CRPG CYOA
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 06:41:20 am »
+32
For as long as you can remember, you have wanted to be a warrior, a soldier, a knight – anything like that! You have spent many years practicing swordplay and archery in your spare time, but were always too young to sign up for the militia when recruits were needed. Your father, a mild mannered shop keeper, has forbidden you to leave the town on military duty. It seems as though your dreams aren’t meant to be.

One day, a trade caravan comes to town. Your father is busy haggling with the merchants and asks you to step over to the caravan and unload some goods he has purchased. As you walk towards the gathering of carts, you notice a gruff-looking band of mercenaries that have been following and defending the caravan. Sneaking out of your father’s view, you speak with the one that seems to be their leader. He is older than the rest, and sports a thick and pointy mustache.

“A little small for a mercenary, aren’t you?” asks the mustachioed man. His face conveys very little emotion, and you are not sure if he is agitated, amused, or interested in hiring you. Another, younger, mercenary steps forward- and smiles at you briefly. He interrupts the leader:

“How ‘bout we settle this with a quick little duel? I’ll fight the lass and if she isn’t bluffing about her skills, why shouldn’t we take her? We have been a few hands short since, well, you remember…” As his sentence trails off, the leader grits his teeth. He ponders in silence for a minute before responding.

“Sure, but make it quick. Time is money to those traders, and if we keep them holed up in this dead-end town too long they’re gonna whine about it all the way to Ferron city!”.  The younger mercenary throws a practice sword to you – you fumble it in your hands, but at least you don’t drop it.

The two of you lock eyes and begin dueling. It seems obvious to you that he is holding back on his swings, but the wooden sword still stings as it strikes your wrist, your collarbone, and then your ribs. You cannot get any hits past his defense, but you defend yourself long enough to gain an approving grunt from the mercenary leader.

“That’s good enough. We’ll take you along, just until our next trading stop. If you don’t run off by then, you might just be worth keeping as a permanent hire…” The leader chuckles to himself. “Just know what you are getting into – there are terrible people out there. They would slit your throat just to steal the boots off your feet. Depraved, starved, lawless souls.”

Nervously, you sneak back into your house and gather your belongings. A note left for your father reads nothing more than ‘Gone to fight, I will come back. Some day.’  A little dramatic, but you don’t have time to write anything better. It’s probably for the best, anyway. If your father knew where you were headed he would drag you back to town and then you’d REALLY never leave.

After you’ve left town, the caravan guards seem to relax. The road is their home, and you think that you’d like to make it yours too. The leader introduces himself as Jorin, and tells you he has lead the guards of this caravan for nearly 7 years. He knows where to expect bandits and highwaymen, and the best tactics for taking care of them. The young man introduces himself as Ardan. He has only been following the caravan for a few months, but trained as a professional soldier under one of the land’s knights. With a warm smile, he promises to teach you a few tricks to let you use your shield as a weapon.

Dinner is dried fish and… bread. Still fresh from the ovens of your hometown. It makes you feel a little homesick. You have trouble sleeping, but eventually drift off and dream of becoming a warrior of legend. People who’ve never even met you will sing songs of your journey and your feats!

Ardan, yourself, and Jorin. What the heck is your name, anyway?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 06:46:42 am by A_Hot_Elf_Princess »

irl something shorted on the shuttle and laika overheated and died within a few hours of liftoff and for a brief while one could look up to the stars and see a light shooting across the sky that was actually a warm dog corpse slingshoting about the earth at thousands of miles per hour which was arguably humanity's greatest achievement so far

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 06:44:13 am »
+28
After several months’ travel, you are getting the hang of things. You wake up like clockwork when it is time for you to keep watch. The meager diet and hard labor leaves you aching and hungry every night. But you love it! The smell of wind from a far-off land, the cloying odor of exotic spices, the gorgeous terrain that you pass by every day – this is your calling! You are finally off to see the world.

You have not faced much combat yet. Several would-be bands of raiders turned away when they saw you and your companions with weapons at the ready. Jorin is glad for this lack of bloodshed. Ardan has been sparring with you to teach you the offensive uses of a shield.

As you rest, listening to the wind whip and whistle through the caravan wagons, the active watch calls out an alert! You grab your bow and get ready for battle. Your heart sinks into the bottom of your stomach as you spot a massive line of horsemen descending from a nearby hill. They are masked in turbans, and bear curved swords of the desert people. From another direction, a volley of arrows rains down on the front wagon, hitting several horses and halting the caravan.

One of the bandit scum. The entire army is draped in the same cloth and leather. You can’t tell their commanders from their lowest ranked soldiers.

Jorin and his elite guard are circled by heavy infantry. The masked thieves land blow after blow on the defenders, until Jorin is the only one left standing. He curses the bandits, taking several down with his war spear before an enemy pike pierces his chest. The color drains from Jorin’s face. His body slides off of the pike and onto the ground.

The battle quickly descends into chaos. You yell out Ardan’s name, and hear nothing but the dull roar of victorious combatants and men breathing their last. You finally hear his voice and turn around – just in time to see him beheaded by a massive bardiche!

You fire arrow after arrow in a blind rage. A bandit sneaks up behind you and lands a heavy blow on the back of your head with a hammer.

Your eyes roll back and lightning flashes across your vision! Your body falls limply to the ground…

You regain consciousness hours later. As you rise to your feet on wobbly legs, you survey the damage. Some of the caravan wagons are hacked to pieces, others are burnt-out shells. Ravens pick at spilled bags of grain, dead horses, and… oh god. Dead people… Your eyes dart from body to body, looking for a sign of life. Every face is frozen in agony. Lifeless. Everyone is dead…

Among all the ruin, a flicker of light catches your eye. In a nameless soldier’s clammy hand you discover a golden amulet.

It is shaped into a monstrous visage, the toothy mouth drawn out in the rictus of a smile. When you pick the amulet up, your hand feels slightly numb. There’s something very strange about it… Is it cursed? Is this what caused all the bloodshed? Even if it is just a mundane trinket, the gold and gems are worth a fortune

Should you:

Find the rightful owner and return the amulet?
Bring this pagan artifact to a monastery to be cleansed?
Sell it for gold or some sweet as hell loomed items?
Hide the amulet from anyone you meet, and see where things go?
Maybe you should… stick the amulet up your butt?

No matter what you decide to do now, you feel that you must find the bandits and avenge your fallen comrades. First, you need to grow stronger. And find out who those bandits are. That would help.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 06:50:29 am by A_Hot_Elf_Princess »

Offline Matey

• King
  • Renown: 1327
  • Infamy: 372
  • cRPG Player
  • A Pirate
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Matey_BRD
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 06:52:12 am »
+4
I decide to sell the monsterous thing so that I can afford some styling reinforced blue pajamas and a big ass shield. I also decide to make a game of sprinting as much as I can each day while traveling to whichever city is up ahead since all the horses are dead or stolen; maybe if I get quicker I can kite the next asshole who tries to sneak up on me with a hammer!

Offline Bobthehero

• Duke
  • Renown: 515
  • Infamy: 195
  • cRPG Player
  • Grandmaster Ultimate God Of Swashbucklin'
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bridgeburners
  • Game nicks: Bobthehero_Whals and I am totally not all the Not_Bobthehero alts ever.
  • IRC nick: Buff Swashbuckling
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2013, 07:00:31 am »
+3
Sell as much as I can to get me a masterwork long espada eslanova, whatever armor I can grab and be a boisterous frenchman asking for me to be buffed.
The Narwhals, dedicated swashbuckler part of FCC

Stabbing is my speciality and one hitting people, my art

Offline Legs

• Marshall
  • Renown: 819
  • Infamy: 88
  • cRPG Player
  • Loco Motive
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Arms, Legs
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2013, 07:26:39 am »
+2
cRPG: Text Adventure? I like it!

C.) Sell it for gold or some sweet as hell loomed items

Money over everything.
Legs are used for standing, walking, jumping, running, kicking, and similar activities.

Offline Kelugarn

• Marshall
  • Renown: 936
  • Infamy: 79
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • #̪͎̳̭̰͓͙ͯ͗̇͘ͅͅ1̢ͨ̈̆̓ͮ͐̌͏̪̦͓̣ ̽̇ͫ҉̸͕̻͙͖̮̹ͅN̡̥̭͖͙ͮ͊͡
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Free Peasants of Fisdnar
  • Game nicks: Froyo The Wizard
  • IRC nick: #FreeArys2012
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2013, 08:05:16 am »
+11
YOU MUST NOT GAZE UPON THE AMULET!
Quickly, hide the devil's bauble where it will never again be touched by the rays of the sun! Clearly shoving the amulet into your colon is the only way to save mankind from the horrible fate that would otherwise befall it.
Become the hero of legend, become the one chosen to drive back the mists of darkness using your anus.

Offline Tanken

• King
  • Renown: 1463
  • Infamy: 395
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
  • Game nicks: Tanken
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2013, 08:13:47 am »
+1
This is really cool Witchcraft. I always love your drawings.

Hide the Amulet.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 08:19:51 am by Tank Burner »
Below is a Collection of Finalists in my Design my Avatar contest -- They all did Awesome!
Thanks to all of those who contributed.

Offline Muki

• Earl
  • Renown: 455
  • Infamy: 78
  • cRPG Player
  • 偽善正義
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Exile
  • Game nicks: Muki
  • IRC nick: Muki, Muki39
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2013, 08:25:12 am »
+2
Finding the owner would be a good idea

As a volunteer admin I clearly have no life and live only to eradicate all fun and enjoyment from the game. Your tears of rage are all the payment I need.
Yes I drew most of my avatars

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2013, 09:24:17 am »
+20
YOU MUST NOT GAZE UPON THE AMULET!
Quickly, hide the devil's bauble where it will never again be touched by the rays of the sun! Clearly shoving the amulet into your colon is the only way to save mankind from the horrible fate that would otherwise befall it.
Become the hero of legend, become the one chosen to drive back the mists of darkness using your anus.

And a one, and a two, and a three! Alley-oop!

Oh sweet tapdancing savior! That is sharp! You aren't really sure why you thought this was a good idea. At least there is no one around to witness your stupidity. The amulet appears to be unharmed. Its vile smile makes you feel like you need to get moving. Better try something else, soon.

You will be walking funny for a few days, at least. Ugh why. WHY?

Offline FRANK_THE_TANK

• King
  • Renown: 1312
  • Infamy: 339
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • FluckCucker
    • View Profile
  • Faction: A Free and proud Peasant of Fisdnar!!!
  • Game nicks: FRANK_THE_TANK
  • IRC nick: Sippy sip
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2013, 09:46:21 am »
+4
Oh god I cried from laughter.

-----

The road is long but in the distance a city rises from the fog!

KHUDAN!
Fammi un pompino!

I think I have ball cancer in my right nut :(
Good news everybody! It's not nut cancer :)
Bad news everybody, I got dumped :(

Offline Bittersteel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 919
  • Infamy: 199
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Créme
  • Game nicks: Tybalt_von_Krems, Lennart_Bladh
  • IRC nick: Bittersteel
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2013, 12:38:12 pm »
+10
I choose to stick the amulet up my anus... again. Perhaps this time things will be different...

Offline Kuujis

• Count
  • Renown: 298
  • Infamy: 79
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Midreek_HRE
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2013, 02:44:32 pm »
+2
No point going to the abby, they will likely smell anus and will tell "clean this yourself!". As for selling... well, the same. Shit is shit.

Finding previous owner and giving him this shit - now THAT is a plan  8-), moving on!  :arrow:

Offline Utrakil

• Marshall
  • Renown: 885
  • Infamy: 182
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Randwig; Gerwin; Marketenderin; Fletcher
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2013, 02:45:20 pm »
+7
Wear the amulett around your neck so it dangling between your breasts will allways remember you about your first battle and bloodshead.
Beacuse you do not want to go back to your father as a defeated mercenary you keep wandering the land and search for a new crew that will hire you.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 05:37:22 pm by Utrakil »

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs