Author Topic: Horses have no natural predators  (Read 29386 times)

Offline 22nd_King_Plazek

• Baron
  • Renown: 87
  • Infamy: 57
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Horses have no natural predators
« Reply #300 on: May 28, 2011, 11:21:32 pm »
Trying to solve the sweet-spot issues would certainly be a great improvement, and yes I am not asking for a overly harsh angle restriction but I do think even a small reduction in attack angle could go a long way to improving things. If such a thing can be considered.

Thanks anyway, it is always good to hear the devs thoughts on these matters :)

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #301 on: May 28, 2011, 11:52:31 pm »
Hmm, I just had a rather interesting idea that could even been done without WSE. What bugs me the most with lancing is that it is best to aim for the horse in a mounted duel hoping to magically hit both the rider and the mount at the same time. So what if hitting a horse with a lance for more than 20 damage while being mounted forces the lance to be dropped? We have the dropping mechanic and the trigger for that so it should be possible. It would kinda simulate that the lance gets stuck in a mountain of flesh when the impact is to great, making it impossible to keep the one-handed grip on the it.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #302 on: May 28, 2011, 11:55:17 pm »
Hmm, I just had a rather interesting idea that could even been done without WSE. What bugs me the most with lancing is that it is best to aim for the horse in a mounted duel hoping to magically hit both the rider and the mount at the same time. So what if hitting a horse with a lance for more than 20 damage while being mounted forces the lance to be dropped? We have the dropping mechanic and the trigger for that so it should be possible. It would kinda simulate that the lance gets stuck in a mountain of flesh when the impact is to great, making it impossible to keep the one-handed grip on the it.

How about 30 damage? That way if you do a stand-still stab then you are fine, but if you have any sort of speed bonus then it gets stuck. Or are you factoring in the armor in this?
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #303 on: May 29, 2011, 12:01:37 am »
Maybe 30, dunno. I'd rather have the speed bonus instead but that's not given by the trigger.

Offline Bjarky

• Earl
  • Renown: 352
  • Infamy: 31
  • U got gold? I bring tea, silk, hemp, camels +more!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild (Leadership member)
  • Game nicks: Guard_BD_Bjarky, Guard_the_Lederhosen
  • IRC nick: bjarky
« Reply #304 on: May 29, 2011, 12:11:31 am »
this would probably be very harsh on lancers, since almost every stab with riding speed is above 30dmg.
people would just start using another polearm instead, makes no sence to loose a lance with 1 stab (gamewise, RL doesn't have a say in this ^^).
If you would decrease the attack angle a little, that would already give lancers a big difference, making it harder to use the weapons length against fx 2h, since you have to account even more for the "weapons lengh - [length from horsesfront to lancers hand]" ratio.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 12:13:41 am by Bjarky »

Offline 22nd_King_Plazek

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: May 29, 2011, 12:29:34 am »
It could be interesting.
Lancer stabbing my horse when I cannot even get in sword range sure as hell pisses me off :D

Especially as I cannot block on behalf of my horse, stabbing it really is a free attack with little drawback.

I think I would prefer an attack radius reduction, but beggars cannot be choosers :P

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #306 on: May 29, 2011, 12:47:37 am »
Quote from: Rumblood on Today at 06:12:53

What are you crying about? That you can't have multiple 2 slot weapons + a shield? Get a one hander. Archers can't even carry a regular one hander and 2 stacks of arrows with the two best bows.  Get a shield and it protects not only you, but somehow magically covers your entire horse from damage as well. Or are you suggesting that everyone else should have to modify their build to deal with cavalry, (carry a pike!) but cavalry should be the Swiss Army Knife of cRPG?

OMG what a retard...
All you have to do to avoid cav rape is down blocking ffs.If cav couches which makes em really vulnerable against any stuff longer than 100,try to be a man and kill him.Also don't play like a retard and try to hear the voices on battlefield.React your environment and your teammates.I don't understand how people still post these comments.
War is simple if you are stupid,you are dead.
Do you think people of Iraq quit fighting cuz USA have OP jets ?
Stop crying like a lil girl and fight you worthless peasant .

How does your comment even relate to my post telling a cavalry player to quit crying about slots? Get some relevance you worthless pissant!
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Duster

• Marshall
  • Renown: 730
  • Infamy: 89
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Mr_Pibb, Mellow_Yellowtf
« Reply #307 on: May 29, 2011, 08:30:49 am »
Quote from: Rumblood on Today at 06:12:53

What are you crying about? That you can't have multiple 2 slot weapons + a shield? Get a one hander. Archers can't even carry a regular one hander and 2 stacks of arrows with the two best bows.  Get a shield and it protects not only you, but somehow magically covers your entire horse from damage as well. Or are you suggesting that everyone else should have to modify their build to deal with cavalry, (carry a pike!) but cavalry should be the Swiss Army Knife of cRPG?

You seem a very temperamental person, so I'll keep this simple. I was not 'crying', but listing the nerfs already given to cavalry (I understand that was not the only class nerfed). Shields have never covered an entire horse from damage, that statement is rediculous. Carrying a pike is not modifying your build, besides, you should be building your character to deal with batlefield challenges such as archers and cavalry in mind, or you deserve to die. Nowhere did I suggest that cavalry should be the swiss army knife of crpg, I am actually content with the way they are now and honestly couldn't ask for any more balancing from the dev team apart from something to help the poor throwers. I'd rather see more and better content than constant 'fixes' and 'refixes'.

Offline Lech

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 123
  • Infamy: 348
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: May 29, 2011, 11:13:10 pm »
Just make most long polearms and great swords unsheathable, made crossbow and strongbow 2 slot and reduce maneuver and speed by few points (3? Reduce maneuver for arabian class by 5 and reduce speed of courser by 5). Increase upkeep for bows and reduce reach of lances (5 for light and normal, 10 for heavy) with reducing damage by few points (1, 2 for heavy). Reduce speed of pike by 3 or so. Such changes would make cavalry way better balanced (and still most powerful classes in the game).

Offline Cheap_Shot

• Count
  • Renown: 244
  • Infamy: 17
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: May 30, 2011, 12:10:02 am »
I am actually content with the way they are now and honestly couldn't ask for any more balancing from the dev team apart from something to help the poor throwers.

Bless ye me leoarde!
I'll throw even when the weapons are gone. I can always throw punches and throw up.

Offline PhantomZero

• Earl
  • Renown: 384
  • Infamy: 53
  • cRPG Player
  • I'm going to need you playing at 6AM on Saturday..
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BIRD CLAN
  • Game nicks: POSTMASTER_PHANTOM0_OF_BIRD
  • IRC nick: PhantomZero
« Reply #310 on: May 30, 2011, 09:53:52 pm »

Offline PhantomZero

• Earl
  • Renown: 384
  • Infamy: 53
  • cRPG Player
  • I'm going to need you playing at 6AM on Saturday..
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BIRD CLAN
  • Game nicks: POSTMASTER_PHANTOM0_OF_BIRD
  • IRC nick: PhantomZero
« Reply #311 on: May 30, 2011, 09:56:56 pm »
HURRRRR HOERS

Notice the dead footmen underneath the cavalry, I think cavalry is well enough realistic as is and should be given speed and maneuverability bonuses if anything.

And all this talk of dropping your lance when you hit someone with it is silly.

Offline Keshian

• King
  • Renown: 1176
  • Infamy: 992
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC (Bridgeburner, Unicorn, Cavalieres, Narwhal)
  • Game nicks: Red-haired bitch from hell
  • IRC nick: Bitch, pleasssse.
« Reply #312 on: May 30, 2011, 10:22:39 pm »
Notice the dead footmen underneath the cavalry, I think cavalry is well enough realistic as is and should be given speed and maneuverability bonuses if anything.

Uh, why??  Cavalry is not easy mode enough for you.  In-game horses are faster and more maneuverable than any real horse ever could be.
All but the lightest lances were actually designed for 1 time charges as the 10 foot WOODEN pole would splinter on contact with most mail but not before leaving a jagged wound in someone.  Then the sword would be drawn and they actually would be real cav.  No lance could survive more than 1-2 full couches into a target they just ahd too much force behind them and they would get stuck (why couched lances SHOULD have a  lot more damage than random lollance thrusting from horseback).  Lances were designed for the initial massed horse charge not for repeated thrusts (unless it was much later in history and they used light lances then).
http://keshoxford.com/  - Where middle-eastern meets red-hot and spicy!

"[Strat 5]... war game my ass, tis more like a popularity contest"  Plumbo

Offline Bonze

• Knight
  • Renown: 47
  • Infamy: 164
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Anti-Fagcher-Liberation-Front (AFLF)
  • Game nicks: King of FF bump
« Reply #313 on: May 30, 2011, 11:08:09 pm »

l2play 1h/2h cav
Got no Balls? Play archer. Got no sex? Play horse archer.

Offline 22nd_King_Plazek

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: May 30, 2011, 11:46:45 pm »

Learn comprehension.

Uh, why??  Cavalry is not easy mode enough for you.  In-game horses are faster and more maneuverable than any real horse ever could be.
All but the lightest lances were actually designed for 1 time charges as the 10 foot WOODEN pole would splinter on contact with most mail but not before leaving a jagged wound in someone.  Then the sword would be drawn and they actually would be real cav.  No lance could survive more than 1-2 full couches into a target they just ahd too much force behind them and they would get stuck (why couched lances SHOULD have a  lot more damage than random lollance thrusting from horseback).  Lances were designed for the initial massed horse charge not for repeated thrusts (unless it was much later in history and they used light lances then).

False