Author Topic: Horses have no natural predators  (Read 29450 times)

Offline Duster

• Marshall
  • Renown: 730
  • Infamy: 89
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Mr_Pibb, Mellow_Yellowtf
Re: Horses have no natural predators
« Reply #195 on: May 21, 2011, 04:31:44 pm »
But horse can be alone. Thats called imbalance. Infantry need to play carefully, cavalry can play careless, and even if it find itself in bad position, it can recover fast.

lol
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Dezilagel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 722
  • Infamy: 209
  • cRPG Player
  • (X) probably goes well with Nutella
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Guards, Guards!
  • Game nicks: Dezi_the_Bagel
  • IRC nick: Dezilagel
« Reply #196 on: May 21, 2011, 04:50:55 pm »
The only random factor would be ping. So long as your ping isn't fluctuating by more than 10 in battle, that isn't a random factor either.
I agree that with a little practice you can chamber most/almost all lances, but as I said earlier, for very little gain. Chambering and then hitting (that is quite rare tbh, horses are fast) the horse will very rarily result in Mr Cav getting dehorsed (horse must be wounded), and seeing that you are capable of chambering his lances, he'll probably just leave you alone. (or circle-lollance you, making your fancy cambers useless). But I disagree with ping being the only random factor, laggs really screw you up.

As for war spear being just barely too short for dehorsing cav when used with a shield. Yeah? What about it? That is not an issue since longer ones do it fine.

Longer ones are all unsheathable... The issue here is that cav are solo pwnmobiles against everything not specifically designed to counter them (pikemen, roofcaming archers (situational, and really lame), horse archers (also cav!). Carrying spear+shield means sacrificing alot (both slot and weight wise), I think it should be on atleast even terms when facing cav. (Mind you lollancing "extends" the length of the lance as there is nothing between Mr Cav and his target).

I play infantry, not cavalry. I usually use a pike.
I never feel at a disadvantage in a fight vs cavalry unless I have a 1hander (or other short weapon) and am alone. This doesn't happen, ever.
In this context "short" means "outranged by lance". I can see you have no problems against cav since you are constantly chugging along a four meter pole, which means that any decent cav will just ignore you. That is untill you drop this big pole (maybe because playing infantry, you might actually wanna do some melee combat?) and suddenly you are either defenseless vs cav or immobile.

See, the problem here is not that there aren't options gear-wise to deal with cav, it's that those options require an awful lot of dedication (pike is 2 slots and unsheathable) and are not really optional (since atm, lacking cav-defence=dead). Forcing every infantryman to carry a pike is not game balance at all.

A) You are outnumbered and losing. If it were another infantry behind you, the result would be the same.

Not really, as horses have a MUCH easier time actually getting behind you. If an infantryman tries to flank you, you can always maneuver to put both him and your current opponent in front of you. If cav flanks you... tough luck.

I'm not suggesting a huge increase in charge, something like 5 more damage to all horses. A considerable decrease in maneuverability would also solve the complaint that cav are "too fast" because they would have to take prominent lines and slow down for tight turns.

This is really good stuff, if cav resolved around this type of gameplay (sounds damn fun!), even I would consider picking up the lance :)

Nah you wrong, watch some horses charge in alone against actual good players, it's a nice laugh. Also you'll notice most good lancers don't charge in by themselves, they wait for you to be distracted with something else or to distract you themselves for other lancers or members of their team to get ya.

First of all, a lone horseman charging in alone against a whole group is an idiot, and those are never an issue...

Anyways, back on topic:

For me, the primary issue with horses is not that they lack effective counters, it's that their presence force upon others a very strict style of gameplay (stick together in a big blob, bring alot of pikes, bring alot of ranged...), something no other class does.

Reducing maneuver (something most seem to agree about) by a considerable amount would help fix this methinks (as awareness would once again be an effective cav-counter). But it needs to be combined with a reach decrease of lances, to make regular spears a viable (fair!) way to fight cav. (Oh and throwing needs a buff too, but that's another topic).

Whew, that was a lenghty post.

But please keep posting here all, debate is always good :)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 04:52:37 pm by Dezilagel »

Quote from: Rumblood
You fuck, or you get fucked.
Valour Multghulis - All Krems Must Die

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #197 on: May 22, 2011, 01:16:00 am »
First of all, No, not everybody needs an anti cav weapon. Nowhere has this been suggested by me. If I carry a pike it makes up to all ten people near me immune to cavalry.

Secondly, no, a short weapon is something less than 100 reach in this context since it is difficult to fight cav with something that short. If it is a 120 length 2hander  or a pole axe for example? Pretty easy to dehorse and kill the guy. For reasons stated in above posts, etc. Yes, I get a 100% safe chance at maybe hitting the horse when it tries to lance me. I'll take that any day.

Thirdly, if you use teamwork you don't just counter cavalry. You counter EVERYTHING. Travel as a group of infantry covering your archers, and they cover for you.

Awlpike is sheathable, it is best spear for shield with highest thrust dmg in the game, etc.
It is also extremely good for fighting vs infantry, which it actually excels at considering it is a support character. Assuming you aren't rambo and a team player. I prefer it vs infantry, it just happens to be boss mode against cavalry too.

I never drop my pike unless I am alone and not against cav. Since I travel with teammates, that is rare and I drop my pike in at most 10% of battles. [Hint: That means we lost the battle.]

Cavalry has tons of counters, you are just unwilling to play a game with cavalry. WHAT I AM TELLING YOU GUYS IS TO USE WHAT YOU ALREADY HAVE. JUST WORK TOGETHER, YOU ARE MORE EFFECTIVE THAT WAY VS INFANTRY, ARCHERS, AND CAVALRY TOO. Only have two pikemen on your team? That can protect 20 people from cav poking at you! You'll be glad those pikemen are there when they help you in melee combat too! Have a hoplite or two in the group? They help you kill everything. They even give you cover from archers with their mobile shield walls! A few archers or xbows? Wow they shot those cavalry down and a grip of infantry while they were at it; thanks to you guys protecting them from ambushes/ninjas/cavalry. in fact, half the population of your group can be two handed non-shield using knights (which I explained why they can fight cav too) which can then bust out and maul the other team. You'll win every battle.
wow. How rare of a team composition that is? oh wait, that is standard just everyone runs off alone. Right.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 01:29:55 am by Marathon »
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline ArchonAlarion

• Baron
  • Renown: 98
  • Infamy: 54
  • Late 15th cen. English Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: ArchonAlarion, DON'T_WAKE_GRANDPA, NASTY_TURTLE, UNARMED_CLASS_ DON'T_BAN_PLS, et al.
« Reply #198 on: May 22, 2011, 03:22:36 am »
The counter against cavalry is teamwork and battlefield awareness. Cavalrymen are dashing individualists who play mind games with the little guys  :D. Their mentality is on a higher plane than the infantry because the range of their movement is greater (They see the big picture of the battlefield). Infantrymen should generally lose to horseman one on one. If the infantry players moved in tighter formations, then cav would be less of an issue.

Offline Dezilagel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 722
  • Infamy: 209
  • cRPG Player
  • (X) probably goes well with Nutella
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Guards, Guards!
  • Game nicks: Dezi_the_Bagel
  • IRC nick: Dezilagel
« Reply #199 on: May 22, 2011, 12:15:06 pm »

I find it funny how you instantly derailed and failed to see the point I was trying to make. To quote:

For me, the primary issue with horses is not that they lack effective counters, it's that their presence force upon others a very strict style of gameplay (stick together in a big blob, bring alot of pikes, bring alot of ranged...), something no other class does.

Not gonna bother quoting you all over again, but this pretty much sums it up:

I never drop my pike unless I am alone and not against cav. Since I travel with teammates, that is rare and I drop my pike in at most 10% of battles. [Hint: That means we lost the battle.]

This makes it clear that we want to play different games. I want to play the melee game, you want to play the "pokey-pokey-away-from-a-safe-distance" game. Yes, playing a dedicated pikeman atm is no problem, it is one of the most powerful classes in the game, beast vs both infantry and cavalry, but there are other playstyles for infantry.

(Just a personal opinion, (NOT related to the discussion!) but M&B is the game with the BEST melee combat system developed so far, why would I spend money on it to shoot/insta backlance people? There are hundreds of better games for that.)

The counter against cavalry is teamwork and battlefield awareness. Cavalrymen are dashing individualists who play mind games with the little guys  :D. Their mentality is on a higher plane than the infantry because the range of their movement is greater (They see the big picture of the battlefield). Infantrymen should generally lose to horseman one on one. If the infantry players moved in tighter formations, then cav would be less of an issue.

Hmm, not sure if troll or just stupid...
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 09:48:07 pm by Dezilagel »

Quote from: Rumblood
You fuck, or you get fucked.
Valour Multghulis - All Krems Must Die

Offline ArchonAlarion

• Baron
  • Renown: 98
  • Infamy: 54
  • Late 15th cen. English Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: ArchonAlarion, DON'T_WAKE_GRANDPA, NASTY_TURTLE, UNARMED_CLASS_ DON'T_BAN_PLS, et al.
« Reply #200 on: May 22, 2011, 10:30:56 pm »
just high  :D

If cavalry were equal to infantry, then why do horses cost gold?

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #201 on: May 23, 2011, 12:31:55 am »
WHAT I AM TELLING YOU GUYS IS TO USE WHAT YOU ALREADY HAVE. JUST WORK TOGETHER, YOU ARE MORE EFFECTIVE THAT WAY VS INFANTRY, ARCHERS, AND CAVALRY TOO.

While I do agree with the idea that people really should work together more often, using the argument of needing multiple people to counter one thing is terrible balance.  True balance is 1v1.  Not 2v1, 2v2v3 or any other method.  This is why most PvP games fail that are non-FPS, for instance WoW or any other MMO.  It's also why people will always bitch about paper-rock-scissors balancing molds, because if you're not playing the RIGHT one vs a particular enemy you are fucked instead of it being a contest of skill.
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline Diavolo

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • Engineering student - Will pwn your ass in physics
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templars
  • Game nicks: Templar_Diavolo, Aleta
« Reply #202 on: May 23, 2011, 09:33:51 am »
Well, in a 1v1 where one of the players is cavalry. (assuming melee cavalry now) Both players have an equal chance. If the ground guy is an xbowman or archer, he can stand close to some object in the terrain and make the cavalry guy unable to hit him while he is killing his horse with his bow. If the groud guy is infantry its a bit worse, but still doable. 2h or polearm one can do a wide side swing and walk away from the horse when it tries to charge (like sideways), if you also stand in a terrain that is hard for the horse to ride in you're guarranteed to win. If you are 1h/shield you have the biggest problem, only hope is to lure the cavalry into an alley or something, or to bring a pike, or loot it off the ground, since you dont need wpf to to be able to stop a horse with the pike. (might need a bit to be able to use the pike though idk)

So in a 1v1, the cavalry really has no great advantage (still talking about melee cav now, HA's is a whole other situation) as long as the infantry knows that the cavalry is coming and is focusing on the cavalry. However, in a normal battle that is not the case. Most likely each side has some cav, and 50/50 infantry and archers of the guys left. Infantry has to pay most attention to the enemy infantry making them easy prey for light cavalry lancing them in the back. So the infantry has lost their weapon against the cavalry, because enemy infantry is distracting them. However, cavalry havent lost their natural predators. Nono, enemy archers, hordes of them. Can bring down your horse in 1-2 well aimed shots which makes you ready for slaughter if enemy infantry is near. However, its a lot harder hitting a man who is riding fast with his shield up than to hit enemy  infantry with their back against you fighting a friendly melee guy. Even though its easier to hit the horse that is moving, you dont get kills for horses, so who cares about those? (only all your infantry who hates getting backstabbed by cavalry) So, if archers would focus on enemy horses when cavalry were trying to rip through the infantry lines, cav would lose their power, infantry would not get backlanced, and the archers would not lose the infantry who protected them, so they dont have to fear getting a poleaxe up in their face. (pleae note that this is a theoretical, idealized system, and reality will always differ from theory or experiments)

Offline Cheap_Shot

• Count
  • Renown: 244
  • Infamy: 17
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: May 23, 2011, 04:54:06 pm »
Im doing my best to fix this problem but I've only got 8 throwing spears. 6 if I use jarids.
I'll throw even when the weapons are gone. I can always throw punches and throw up.

Offline RamsesXXIIX

• Count
  • Renown: 252
  • Infamy: 65
  • Yes, I prey on the weak.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Ramses
« Reply #204 on: May 23, 2011, 07:17:41 pm »

I'm not completely sure...

Do you mean a team of, say 30 pikemen will win over a team of 30 cavalry if the pikemen just stick together?

Offline Seawied

• Knight
  • Renown: 45
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player
  • Climbing in yo window, snatching yo people up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: May 23, 2011, 07:54:12 pm »
I'm not completely sure...

Do you mean a team of, say 30 pikemen will win over a team of 30 cavalry if the pikemen just stick together?
30 pikemen? My HA would absolutely LOVE a team of 30 pikemen
So with PT >10 stones become simple too effective
:lol:

Offline Huey Newton

• Duke
  • Renown: 555
  • Infamy: 99
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Huey_Newton
« Reply #206 on: May 23, 2011, 08:54:59 pm »
Your best bet against all types of cavalry is a board shield and bamboo spear

Offline RamsesXXIIX

• Count
  • Renown: 252
  • Infamy: 65
  • Yes, I prey on the weak.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Ramses
« Reply #207 on: May 23, 2011, 09:17:53 pm »
30 pikemen? My HA would absolutely LOVE a team of 30 pikemen

I'm sorry if i was unclear. ofc i mean 30 lancers on horseback against 30 men with pikes. Since the pikemen are the counter of horseman, one would believe the pikemen would win.

Watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8ABQ1PPCNo (Okay its 50, ups  :P)

Anyway, i think this video more or less proves that massive numbers of cavalry on an open field is unstoppable. Its inherent from SP itself, massive amounts of cavalry is unbeatable. Its like the throwers were pre-patch: One of them isn't so bad, the problem is there are so many of them! You see the same tendency if you go to battle or TDM native servers that have more than 64 people playing: Cavalry is by far dominant on the fields.

You can of coarse detest this and claim that is native and cRPG is different. But i don't believe they are THAT different, and the same things applies.

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #208 on: May 24, 2011, 12:19:47 am »
There are some pretty moot points here. What is this argument about infantry should be equal in 1vs1 with cav? No they shouldn't. The same way a high agility archer can shoot a 2h with no shield to death, or a 2h axe spammer can hack a shielder to death. Or a dehorsed cavman often doesn't stand a chance against a pure melee build. We all have our weaknesses. Cavs is archers and pikes. Just because not all of you use one, doesn't mean cav are over powered, they still have a weakness, just you who complain don't use it.

And to that 50vs50 video, that depends entirely on the players. As do most matches. Those were also very armoured horses couching, notice the light horses die instantly. Fights like that also NEVER happen on MP. It proves nothing. In normal MP a cav will stay away from a pikeman because they are a threat and will kill you.

As for the other arguments, I've posted this in another thread but I think it applies here:

As for the suggestions on nerfing manoeuvrability, that's another suggestion that makes no sense. The OP (other thread) writer said it well in that dedicated horsemen know how to manage their speed. A full speed courser cannot turn, simple. I use one as a HA and I can assure you, at full speed, if a lancer cuts across me, or a pikeman appears, I cannot turn out the way fast enough. The only reason I can usually is because I very rarely ride at full speed unless to get away from enemy horsemen whilst shooting them. When it comes to killing infantry, most cavalrymen will rarely use full speed and so it appears that their manoeuvring ability is far greater than it actually is.

However, one thing that I do suggest (not necessarily related to cav). Remove the slots/unsheathable stat from the Pike, but make it less wieldable except for a planned attack. Right now the pike is just to easy to use both in close combat and against infantry. I've seen people using it very effectively in close combat and it is still a very present threat on the battlefield. However, with some tweaking it could be a balanced ideal for combating cav. The only thing that stops it annoying me to much is that I'm a HA and can pump arrows into the guy using it. But I think by making it sheathable, but less effective as a close quarters weapon, you'd be balancing it's use far more and adding more of a threat to cavalry, but removing it's ability to be good in an infantry fight/to close to cav.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 12:47:48 am by Overdriven »

Offline AlbaTiger

• Peasant
  • Renown: 5
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • Maybes aye maybes naw. Tiger that runs wi Wolves
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: May 24, 2011, 12:32:47 am »
Im doing my best to fix this problem but I've only got 8 throwing spears. 6 if I use jarids.

I had an unarmoured horse take 4 heavy throwing axes (3 in the arse, 1 in the neck) to put down today...then it took another 2 to put the rider down.

3/4s of my ammo on a single kill...oh yeah!
 :?