Author Topic: Lance Cav (Thrusts)  (Read 1847 times)

Offline Necrorave

• Duke
  • Renown: 609
  • Infamy: 71
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Who the fuck is this guy?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Dracul
  • Game nicks: Necrorave and or Cheesus Crust
  • IRC nick: Necrorave
Lance Cav (Thrusts)
« on: May 22, 2013, 04:41:11 pm »
+6
**This is not a post as to what I think should be done about it.  Merely an idea**

Although, I may state my opinion as the discussion goes on.

A lot of people seem to complain about cav, fair enough.  I never had a problem with cav in all honesty.  A couple small things here and there got the best of me, but nothing major.
Although, there was always one thing I questioned as to whether or not it would fix the problems people have.  (Not including QQ's)

Lance cav can change the side of the horse they swinging mid-thrust. (AKA be able to move the lance over the horse's head in the middle of the attack.)
This always seems a bit unrealistic to me in the first place, although it is also used as a trick to do more damage.

This is my discussion.  Why not force them to choose a side to attack on and stick with it until the attack is finished and or canceled rather then lower the angles/damage/speed of them?

**I am indifferent on the sense of balance when it comes to this so don't assume I think something should be nerfed/buffed.**

I just think it would make more sense.

What do you think?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 05:04:03 pm by Necrorave »

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
Re: Lance Cav (Thrusts)
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 04:55:33 pm »
+6
It would certainly be more realistic, but it would be pretty difficult for cavalry since about half my stabs that I connect with are from changing sides.  People can easily move from one side of my horse to the other when I'm approaching, and hitting people who do that is pretty hard as it is.  The horses (besides the Arabian/Desert Horse) have the maneuverability of molasses as it is, this would make things quite a bit more difficult.

Can't say I'm for or against it, but it would probably make sense to restrict it to one side or the other when you start swinging forward.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Necrorave

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 04:59:11 pm »
+2
It would certainly be more realistic, but it would be pretty difficult for cavalry since about half my stabs that I connect with are from changing sides.  People can easily move from one side of my horse to the other when I'm approaching, and hitting people who do that is pretty hard as it is.  The horses (besides the Arabian/Desert Horse) have the maneuverability of molasses as it is, this would make things quite a bit more difficult.
My point was stating that you could bring back the bigger angles cav used to have to balance it out.  I'm not stating this as a nerf, merely a switch.

Bring the damage/angles back a bit and restrict changing side.

Cav would then approach people focusing on that particular side and since they have more reach it would make it a little easier for them to hit targets without the need for bumping or taking a chance for a hit on themselves, too.

Offline BlueKnight

• Marshall
  • Renown: 983
  • Infamy: 200
  • If you run, you will only die tired...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 05:58:02 pm »
+4
Don't change anything in c-rpg saying "cuz it's reallistic"...

If there is something that works in c-rpg and is reallistic then it's k. If something works in c-rpg and isn't reallistic, it doesn't matter it's not reallistic, it's good that it works.

Reallistic or not is just additional feature and you could change most of the game saying "it's reallistic"

(click to show/hide)
You think a wooden stick/spear/pike would block bardiche?
You think that pikemen would be even able to block?  :o

I guess we can ignore the rarely-appearing thing in c-rpg which is changing the side of a horse's head with a lance.

Cav would then approach people focusing on that particular side and since they have more reach it would make it a little easier for them to hit targets without the need for bumping or taking a chance for a hit on themselves, too.
That's what 1h cav does. It hits targets on one or the other side of the horse.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 06:01:12 pm by BlueKnight »

Skyrim UI

Offline Necrorave

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 06:41:41 pm »
That's what 1h cav does. It hits targets on one or the other side of the horse.

Just to point it out.  The title says Lance Cav.

Second, I am not saying we should change the game, I am just asking if it would make more sense to bring the damage/angles back up to reasonable angles while at the same time restricting them changing sides of the horses head

I guess we can ignore the rarely-appearing thing in c-rpg which is changing the side of a horse's head with a lance.
This is just incredibly untrue.  I see this happen all the time while spectating lance cav (I only tried it myself once and caught myself doing it once in a while too.)
It is usually done to hurt the cav your are chasing in the same direction.  Sometimes used on footmen who attempt to move out of danger by crossing the sides of the charging cav.  It causes the spear to zoom over the head of the horse yet the hitbox stays down were the player is aiming.  So it creates an illusion of a lance missing you, yet it hits you anyways

I am not saying this SHOULD be done, its just an idea I wish to discuss.

Offline Riddaren

• Duke
  • Renown: 601
  • Infamy: 298
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Riddaren, Matthaus
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 07:01:40 pm »
+6
This would probably make it harder to play lancer and that's a good thing.

But keep in mind though, that this would in no way affect the bad lance players. So it would not be a nerf of lancers in general.
They would just keep on using the same side each time and also make use of couch lancing (which should not be restricted to one side).

- - -

My view on nerfing in cRPG

If you want to nerf something you should do it by making it harder to make the most simple attack move.
This will directly affect all players, no matter the skill, it will nerf the class in general but the better players will still perform well.

The sad thing is that most nerfs doesn't affect the bad players. For example lance angle, jump throwing, accuracy etc.
What happens is that the gap between good and bad players decreases making the class easier and less fun to play.

Instead, make it harder to play the game in general and then add more capabilities and attack moves. Don't restrict, remove or make things less deadly.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 07:10:18 pm by Riddaren »

Offline BlueKnight

• Marshall
  • Renown: 983
  • Infamy: 200
  • If you run, you will only die tired...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2013, 08:04:29 pm »
+3
Lance angle should increase with lowering the running speed of the horse, so when you move at full speed you have current angle and when you go at 30% speed you would have like 40+ degrees left angle and 40+ degrees right angle. Stopped horse would have like 70l and 70r. It would prevent archers from running around rotating lancer and trying to shoot him while he's standing close to them and tries to turn his horse so he can hit the archer.

This is just an example and my view on how the lance angle should work, though I'm not sure if it's possible to code it so the change is fluent&stuff.

Skyrim UI

Offline Riddaren

• Duke
  • Renown: 601
  • Infamy: 298
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Riddaren, Matthaus
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2013, 11:37:41 pm »
Lance angle should increase with lowering the running speed of the horse

Yeah, that would be nice. Would surely add depth to it make lancing harder.

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2013, 11:48:40 pm »
+1
Couldn't agree more, Riddaren
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline Glyph

• Baron
  • Renown: 143
  • Infamy: 40
  • Turbulence incoming
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Horris
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2013, 04:04:32 pm »
Yeah, that would be nice. Would surely add depth to it make lancing harder.
yeah but also stimulating people even more to use the very agily horses so you can stab and get back up to pseed within a second. I think we have enough of those people already.

Glyph you have obsessive Horse Archer and Horse hatred.
- Official diagnosis :)

Offline ROHYPNOL

• Earl
  • Renown: 361
  • Infamy: 127
  • Poor Washing Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2013, 05:22:32 pm »
Why even complain about lance cav haha.. If anything it needs a buff not a nerf. So it makes it right that I hoplite can sway his spear back and forth and angle it around team, yet you think this needs nerfed

haha. The damage is complete garbage on horseback with a lance. You get 1 or 2 maybe 3 max points per stab. 1h cav and 2h cav are way more powerful than lance.
Quote from: Jeade
you're rough around the edges.
This is the reason people don't like you if anyone ever did.

Offline Necrorave

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2013, 05:32:37 pm »
Why even complain about lance cav haha.. If anything it needs a buff not a nerf. So it makes it right that I hoplite can sway his spear back and forth and angle it around team, yet you think this needs nerfed

haha. The damage is complete garbage on horseback with a lance. You get 1 or 2 maybe 3 max points per stab. 1h cav and 2h cav are way more powerful than lance.

Do you even read?  I did not say it needs a nerf.  I said instead of nerfing the silly things like damage and angles.  Change the way it is played and buff it back to normal.

This not not at all a nerf/buff post, merely a discussion about a swap

Offline ROHYPNOL

• Earl
  • Poor Washing Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2013, 06:45:29 pm »
**This is not a post as to what I think should be done about it.  Merely an idea**

A lot of people seem to complain about cav, fair enough.  I never had a problem with cav in all honesty.  A couple small things here and there got the best of me, but nothing major.
Although, there was always one thing I questioned as to whether or not it would fix the problems people have.  (Not including QQ's)

Lance cav can change the side of the horse they swinging mid-thrust. (AKA be able to move the lance over the horse's head in the middle of the attack.)
This always seems a bit unrealistic to me in the first place, although it is also used as a trick to do more damage.

This is my discussion.  Why not force them to choose a side to attack on and stick with it until the attack is finished and or canceled rather then lower the angles/damage/speed of them?

**I am indifferent on the sense of balance when it comes to this so don't assume I think something should be nerfed/buffed.**

What do you think?

This is the only post I was responding to. So where in here do you assume that damage needs a buff or anything at all being reverted? All I see is the angles you would like to see the lance not moving

around when thrusting. Would that not mean a nerf? Do you lift?

Offline Necrorave

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2013, 08:49:29 pm »
+1

What do you think?

I do not lift, so you are correct about that.  My arms are the size of noodles, and my dick is the size of your attention span.

Back on topic: This is not a request to nerf, just a discussion about a swap or compensation in a sense.  I do not care for either side, I am merely asking if this would make more sense rather then nerfing Cav items
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 08:57:33 pm by Necrorave »

Offline ROHYPNOL

• Earl
  • Poor Washing Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2013, 09:04:48 pm »
+1
I do not lift, so you are correct about that.  My arms are the size of noodles, and my dick is the size of your attention span.

Back on topic: This is not a request to nerf, just a discussion about a swap or compensation in a sense.  I do not care for either side, I am merely asking if this would make more sense rather then nerfing Cav items

Can I have your number?