Author Topic: I feel that the cost of thrown weapons needs to be reduced. (Comparison)  (Read 6628 times)

Offline PhantomZero

• Earl
  • Renown: 384
  • Infamy: 53
  • cRPG Player
  • I'm going to need you playing at 6AM on Saturday..
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BIRD CLAN
  • Game nicks: POSTMASTER_PHANTOM0_OF_BIRD
  • IRC nick: PhantomZero
Re: I feel that the cost of thrown weapons needs to be reduced. (Comparison)
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2011, 07:38:31 am »
i dont think he is talking about breaking a shield.

he is talking about affording a wep that can do more then sting at near melee range which is where a thrower stands.

Yes but why do you need three stacks of javelins all the time? It would be perfectly fine to carry two and have 8 javelins.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Surol

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2011, 07:42:07 am »
a max skilled player who throws alot can somtimes get that off in melee range its true.

to tell the truth i get killed more trying to get that last shot and leaving myself open then i kill.

Offline AirPhforce

• Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2011, 07:44:32 am »
I don't see how they need to be reduced when throwing has taken off like crazy since the patch and is tearing people apart since there's more mid-tier armor instead of everyone and their 2nd cousin being some plate crutching spammer.  Even more so since you can be just within melee range, start your attack and get an insta-jart in the face from less than a foot away.

So make the good stuff worse and balance the cost accordingly. Im not talking about balance im talking about cost.

The point im trying to make is that throwing weapons don't have a cost-effective go-to thing to use, because they need to get 3 of them.

Offline PhantomZero

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2011, 07:50:24 am »
So make the good stuff worse and balance the cost accordingly. Im not talking about balance im talking about cost.

The point im trying to make is that throwing weapons don't have a cost-effective go-to thing to use, because they need to get 3 of them.

War darts is that cost-effective go-to thing if you are too poor for javelins.

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2011, 07:53:42 am »
War darts is that cost-effective go-to thing if you are too poor for javelins.

^  This
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline Surol

• Beggar
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2011, 07:54:00 am »
here is the rub this is all a plot to keep players poor. so the guys at top can stay there then?

should i be using darts then for the next 2 months till i prove myself to a higher up and can use jav?

Offline PhantomZero

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2011, 08:02:21 am »
here is the rub this is all a plot to keep players poor. so the guys at top can stay there then?

should i be using darts then for the next 2 months till i prove myself to a higher up and can use jav?

I guess it is hard for me to understand why you guys can't afford 3 slots of javelins when my friend just made a new character for throwing and is currently maintaining 4 slots of javelins.

The guys at the top don't use all of their top gear all the time either, thats the entire point, you can't use the best shit all the time. At a multiplier of x1 permanently, you should still be able to afford 25k worth of gear.

Offline Kophka

• Baron
  • Renown: 92
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
  • for the final ride
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Remnants
  • Game nicks: Kophka/Koschei
  • IRC nick: Kophka
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2011, 08:10:18 am »
The problem is that throwing is not cost effective. Even with 2 stacks of javs (mid tier) it's the same price as a mid tier crossbow and steel bolts. Same price, 1/2 the damage, 1/2 the ammo count, 1/4 the range, 1/3 the shot speed. Does that seem balanced?

Offline PhantomZero

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2011, 08:15:33 am »
Yes, it seems like javelins are quite effective considering there are at least 3 on each team and you are trying to compare apples to oranges.

Offline Surol

• Beggar
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2011, 08:21:57 am »
im going to give it a week and see if i can make it work. if i cant i think im done. the only reason im sticking around at all though is all the fun i used to have.

and no comment no how i was a tin can with a 28:0 this and that or whatever

i had plate for a week or two tops and only put it on for a few days max due to retirement.

best i ever had in plate was i think 10:6
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 08:25:14 am by Surol »

Offline Kophka

• Baron
  • Renown: 92
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
  • for the final ride
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Remnants
  • Game nicks: Kophka/Koschei
  • IRC nick: Kophka
« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2011, 08:27:29 am »
I didn't say they weren't effective, I said they are not COST-effective. And comparing apples to oranges is just fine if they are the same price, and they are both fruit (ranged). Just notice that the apple (javs), is half the size of the orange (xbow), with half the flavor. But still the same price. I'm honestly not sure where the influx of throwing is coming from, I've been a thrower for a while, and I'm rather disappointed with the changes. I've gained some accuracy while standing still (if I spend 100+prof points), but while moving, it's still same ol' same ol'. The shot speed was nerfed, and the range was reduced (they now fly like rocks with 0 PT used to). Add that to the extra upkeep if you bring more than one puny stack, and you'll see that it could use some fine tuning.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 08:29:44 am by Kophka »

Offline bruce

• Count
  • Renown: 262
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: the Freak Army of the Gnjus / Saracens
  • Game nicks: Saracen_el_Brus
« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2011, 08:47:40 am »
I have no issues upkeeping 31K of gear, myself (earning a tiny sum actually), so... don't see it as limiting to a thrower.

For instance consider basic mail: 3k + 3x jarids = 23K + a few K of random stuff / cheap weapon. Upkeepable? I'm sure. And there are cheaper options like throwing spears and especially javelins which let you have a lot of leeway with your loadout. I see throwers with 3 packs of jarids in the game so it obviously works for them, too. And I'm seeing a good number of throwers these days, too.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 08:49:19 am by bruce »
Best ban reason ever:
Quote from: Wookimonsta
I checked, the only Vagabond I found was Wolves_Vagabond_TheCruel, that guy is now unbanned. Ban reason was: "calling Zotte a cockswoggler".

Offline Spawny

• Count
  • Renown: 152
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Templar_Spawny
« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2011, 10:34:52 am »
I'm a bit disappointed in throwing.

I heirloomed my throwing lances, made them about 11.5k per stack. Can't use them all anymore.

On the other hand, I don't have to. All the other stuff is just as effective, I just wished I heirloomed throwing axes or snowflakes or something.

For me, being a dedicated thrower means having high PT. That's it. Not other skills. No PS, IF, Ath, WM, Shield, nothing.

That leaves you with 13 or 14 PT at level 30 (can't remember which one it was).

With that much PT, hits with darts or wardarts are killshots. I don't need javelins or higher tier weapons to kill people. Just leaves me with more gold for armour :)

The problem is even if you are number 1 in NA you are still only number 467 in EU or the worst in AUS(number 17)

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2011, 10:51:38 am »
I have a thrower, Brunchlady, and I have been floating 4 stacks of throwing lances just fine. I have no trust fund of gold, i just made the character.

I was making money, quite a lot of it, when i was on the winning teams. And I would lose not all that much when i was on the losing teams. The money did start to drain, but by god the enemy team quickly had no horses so we usually began winning quickly.

When i run out of money, i'll use war darts and just pretend i'm an archer. my money will rise, then i get to go decide people's fate by clicking on them with throwing lances.
Except oh wait with war darts i do more damage than an archer + it is pierce  not cut! :O!

But i will say 41k cost in just throwing is a bit pric----- oh wait it is like wearing plate armor. it is top tier. Live with it. (however i think mid-tier throwing could drop price a bit)
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline Ishar

• Noble
  • Renown: 18
  • cRPG Player
  • Mr Shitgrin
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Ishar_III
« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2011, 11:31:45 am »
The upkeep costs are really low now with .201. And yes, throwing has a new golden age: I'm tearing people apart with my hybrid, much-much more one-shot kills than before.
"Also, thank you for reporting your own post." Mylet