Author Topic: Make nudges blockable?  (Read 940 times)

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • Renown: 859
  • Infamy: 198
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Make nudges blockable?
« on: May 20, 2013, 08:22:38 pm »
+12
Thanks to devs, now there is a unique ability that you can use when using 1h without a shield.

However I believe nudges should be blockable by a shield and right manual block. Well it can still work as if the blocker blocked an attack --- > loses the initiative to fight back but does not become exposed. The defender will still get spammed by punch+hit+punch+hit combos, but will be able to hold himself instead.

My reasonings for this suggestion are:

-Hoplites and shielders will have a hard time fighting with swashbucklers, because of extra weight. Shielders might have a chance to fight back, but there is nothing a hoplite can do once a swashbuckler gets up close to them. Since hoplites have long weapon + shield, they move much more slower compared to 1h with no shield. So this is needed balance-wise.

-It would also be more realistic. There is a difference between punching someone's face and his shield.
Quote from: BlindGuy
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

My UU key is broken incase you can't tell :D

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
Re: Make nudges blockable?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 08:43:55 pm »
It is signed, I can only approved.

I think it's enough if a 2h or polearm user blocks in the direction of the nudge to stop it, same with a shield.  I don't think it should be 100% unblockable (like a kick, before you could chamber "block" them with your own kick).   I'm pretty sure you could always chamber a stab with a kick, not sure if you could always chamber a kick with an overhead or stab.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline FRANK_THE_TANK

• King
  • Renown: 1312
  • Infamy: 339
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • FluckCucker
    • View Profile
  • Faction: A Free and proud Peasant of Fisdnar!!!
  • Game nicks: FRANK_THE_TANK
  • IRC nick: Sippy sip
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 03:51:03 am »
I still don't know how this nudging stuff works. I saw it for the first time the other day on the Aus server when I ran at a guy in first person and grouped his face :|

Do you kick to activate it or do you just do it automatically when you get close enough?
Fammi un pompino!

I think I have ball cancer in my right nut :(
Good news everybody! It's not nut cancer :)
Bad news everybody, I got dumped :(

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 11:49:44 am »
You press V button.

Read the nudge guide :)
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

Offline Byrdi

• Earl
  • Renown: 489
  • Infamy: 59
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Byrdi, Swiss Chocolate, and lots of other alts
  • IRC nick: Byrdi
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 01:15:27 pm »
I can only agree. My main is 1h no shield right now and I still find it too good.

Especially with the hold left attack, get close, nudge combination.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 05:51:12 pm »
As far as I can tell, there's no drawback to trying a nudge, that's the only issue I have with it.  You can run around in an enemy group swinging away and pressing nudge every few seconds.
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Tydeus

• King
  • Renown: 1422
  • Infamy: 351
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Item re-unbalance guy
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tydeus
  • IRC nick: Tydeus
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2013, 05:31:40 pm »
+1
I tested new mechanics for nudges yesterday with Urist. Being able to block them, at least in the same manner that you block weapons, defeats their purpose. Instead, a few other things were done to help address nudge balance, like separating upper body stun from lower body stun.
chadz> i wouldnt mind seeing some penis on my character

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2013, 08:21:25 pm »
+4
I made it so that the status of the victim(blocking, defending, doing nothing) affects stagger length now. Getting hit while attacking gives the longest stagger, then doing nothing, then defending.

Offline Haboe

• King
  • Renown: 1090
  • Infamy: 331
  • Born with a shield on my back. Difficult birth.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Haboe
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2013, 08:54:32 pm »
+1
How are the times? (compared to previous nudge?)
Like, is the attack interrupting nudge now a logner stagger then before, nothing the same, and defending shorter?

Either way this is a nice start to balancing the nudges  :mrgreen:

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2013, 10:07:42 pm »
+2
Should be shorter on average than now. I think only getting nudged during an attack will have the same stagger length like now, getting nudged during block/doing nothing will result in a shorter stagger.

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2013, 01:12:12 am »
mmf, need something to break blocks of backpeddaling shielders/hoplites and pikemen. They got kicks to work with and nudge is pretty easily sidestepped away from. The only time i land a nudge is when people walk backwards in a straight line. qq i love nudge too much already :'( <3
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA

Offline Zlisch_The_Butcher

• King
  • Renown: 1272
  • Infamy: 971
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction: Frisian Church of Mork The Goat God
  • Game nicks: Zlisch
  • IRC nick: IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2013, 01:22:35 am »
I made it so that the status of the victim(blocking, defending, doing nothing) affects stagger length now. Getting hit while attacking gives the longest stagger, then doing nothing, then defending.
If you've been holding block up with a shield for several seconds it should give a stagger longer than attacking imo, needs to be some way to actually kill steel shield s key heroes who don't swing 'till everyone else have fallen asleep.
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2013, 10:52:46 am »
+2
I don't agree with that. If someone is turtling, that means he's trying to defend himself. A good melee player should be able to take advantage of this naturally (unlike you). Because in the end, the offense and initiative matters so much in a duel. You'd want to force your opponent to the defensive stance, so you can put the pressure on him much easier. If he's turtling, that means he gave you the advantage anyway; unless he's trying a different tactic (that's arguable a bit, but still you have the upper hand). Many good 2hers and polers are doing this, so in the end this is their advantage towards shielders when it comes down to melee. The comparably difficult timing of defending with a shield, low reach, low damage and lesser movement speed is the disadvantage of shielders towards other classes.

In the case of a swashbuckler, they can still get spammed by 2handers and polers; because of the short range. But now since they have better stats than a shielder and are now moving much faster without the weight penalty of the shield; they have other advantages as well as nudges. The advantage of swashbuckler is, they have the same reach and damage; but better mobility and stats compared to shielders. Without the difficult timing of the shield, they should be able to take the initiative against them. Against 2hers and polers, well they have nudges now. So nudge is not really needed against a shielder, but more needed against 2her and polers (mostly because of their S key and kick tactics).

Enjoy your -1 zlisch.

Offline Tydeus

• King
  • Renown: 1422
  • Infamy: 351
  • Item re-unbalance guy
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tydeus
  • IRC nick: Tydeus
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2013, 11:17:04 am »
I don't agree with that. If someone is turtling, that means he's trying to defend himself. A good melee player should be able to take advantage of this naturally (unlike you). Because in the end, the offense and initiative matters so much in a duel. You'd want to force your opponent to the defensive stance, so you can put the pressure on him much easier. If he's turtling, that means he gave you the advantage anyway; unless he's trying a different tactic (that's arguable a bit, but still you have the upper hand).
This sounds like you're describing the real world, not crpg. Unfortunately for quite some time now, defensive play styles (particularly in duels, although not exclusively) have been superior. Now that everyone can block, offensive play styles aren't nearly as rewarding. Hell, you don't even see as many complaints about spammers as you used to. It exists, sure, especially with the recent short 2h weapon buff, but it's to a much lesser extent than what it was a few years ago.
chadz> i wouldnt mind seeing some penis on my character

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2013, 04:03:20 pm »
By offensive playstyle I mainly meant long feint chains not spam (but I know it's also a part of offensive playstyle). Because basically:

spam -> feint
feint -> block&attack
Block&attack -> spam

Of course this is not %100 true, but it is generally correct from what I've seen. This is also the reason why many people choose to spam and only use block if they see their opponent is actually preparing for an attack. If you try to defend (block) too much, people will know that you are more of a defensive player and will perform long feint combos (right and thrust attack feint combo with 2h for example) which is harder to block (for timing or directional blocking). Even if you are a very good manual blocker, such long feint combos are also stamina consuming. It will tire you throughout the duel and will most likely result of your death in the end, mainly because of your exhaustion. This is the punishment you get for playing too much defensively.

However if you try using kicks, nudges, chambers (riposte thing) or even spamming; you will be able to gain the upper hand if you do it right. That's why playing defensive or offensive can give you limited capabilities, but if you master them both and perform both at the same duel; you will be the better dueller. Thus you need to know how to defend yourself but you need to know how to keep the initiative as well. That's what I meant to be honest. I don't know if I'm entirely true or not (I'm talking mainly about the warband mechanics than crpg mechanics, because the change of kicks changes a lot in the flow of combat).
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 06:44:15 pm by Ronin »