Author Topic: What to heirloom post-patch?  (Read 1174 times)

Offline Penitent

• King
  • Renown: 1389
  • Infamy: 220
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Penitent_Turtler
What to heirloom post-patch?
« on: May 04, 2011, 06:28:18 pm »
In the past, everyone says to heirloom the weapon first.  Now, however, a heirloom weapon does only +1 damage.

I am a 1h/shield guy.  If I heirloom my knightly kite shield, it gets +30 hps and +2 armor, which seems okay.  Do you think this is better than getting +1 damage on an italian sword?

My build is a little messed up (gen1) so I will definitely be retiring.  I'm just having trouble now because the weapon heirloom bonus is kind of weak.

What do you think is the best to heirloom now?

Offline Keshian

• King
  • Renown: 1176
  • Infamy: 992
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC (Bridgeburner, Unicorn, Cavalieres, Narwhal)
  • Game nicks: Red-haired bitch from hell
  • IRC nick: Bitch, pleasssse.
Re: What to heirloom post-patch?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 07:06:51 pm »
First, sound slike heirloom reset anyway so doesn't really matter too much.  Second, gauntlets are not a bad way to go as you use them with every armor +2 body armor is like having an extra hitpoint.  You can do weapons (xbows/bows decent boost), but with melee weapons, yeh doesn't make a lot of difference as it seems each patch is phasing out the value of retirement more and more intentionally.  Probably next patch or patch after that will remove xp bonus or remove heirlooomed items all together.  Maybe shoot for level 32 instead.
http://keshoxford.com/  - Where middle-eastern meets red-hot and spicy!

"[Strat 5]... war game my ass, tis more like a popularity contest"  Plumbo

Offline Penitent

• King
  • Renown: 1389
  • Infamy: 220
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Penitent_Turtler
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 08:11:24 pm »
Thanks Kesh, good to know.
Do you mean heirlooms will be reset as in, everyone will start with zero heirlooms?  Or reset as in everyone still has heirlooms, but has to select them again?

If +2 armor is the same as +1 hp...that sounds even worse than looming a weapon for only +1 damage. lol.  With +1 damage, I get to use that bonus every time I hit someone.  With +1 hp...well, I don't think I'd ever really benefit from that.

If I loom my sheild..it can probably take another strike before it breaks.  That might be the only noticeable bonus out of these options....

Offline Keshian

• King
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 08:31:19 pm »
Read "Patch Poll" under "Suggestions Corner"  chadz has said he will do a heirloom reset with heirloom theft, in your case you only would have 1 so based on last heirloom theft you would keep 1 based on rounding up even if he takes 2/3rds of them.  However, having more up to 3 based on on last heirloom theft you would still only keep 1.  That why I am sugegsting just levelling up to 32 and making alts, especially with the 3% per gen xp nerf.

The main benefit of armor is cumulative so if you triple heirloomed your gauntlets and body armor (6 heirlooms) you would be able to survive an extra hit every life above and beyond your stats (thoguh obviously this is not exact as having more Ironflesh you get more benefit from better armor so maybe 11/2 more hits with higher IF).

Actually shields are not a bad way to go if you can get a decent-sized (1 slot) fast shield that can last longer (round shield, heavy round shield, elite cavalry shield, knightly heater shield, etc.) as the changes would probably help you absorb an extra hit or 2 with it per heirlooming.  (pre-patch they were not as desirable, but with recent heirloom nerfs they actually are one of the betetr heirlooms now for 1hers).

Also once you are level 31, just click the retirement page to see what each level of heirlooming does for all your items (you can check without having to retire), triple heirlooming some weapons can get you an extra 1 speed in their somewhere in addition to the damage. (+1 speed seems like +5 wpf, but thats a really rough estimate)

Offline Spawny

• Count
  • Renown: 152
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Templar_Spawny
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 08:55:30 pm »
+30 hp and +2 armour on a knightly heater shield allows it to take 1 or maybe 2 extra hits from a normal weapon. A shieldbreaking weapon will still break it in 2-3 hits.

Heirlooming overall is pretty pathetic atm.

For my steel pick's second heirloom it would get +1 speed for a total of +1 damage and +1 speed at 2 heirlooms. Something I'm not going to do, because that's shit.

I'm still thinking about what I should heirloom myself.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

The problem is even if you are number 1 in NA you are still only number 467 in EU or the worst in AUS(number 17)

Offline Tzar

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 564
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_TzarOfRushYa
  • IRC nick: TZAR
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2011, 09:03:49 pm »
No1 knows what the hell chadz has in mind we just gotta wait and see....

Also if he where to take everyones looms and leave every1 with 1 he better also do a gen theft or else the high gen grinders will still get a bunch more of looms in a matter of a few weeks.

And the players who rly did use the system like it was meant to be gets buttfucked.

Kesh is right best thing to loom now is armors or horses or xbow. anything that didnt get hit with the nerf hammer.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 09:07:37 pm by Tzar »
I've never played a server where people split up as much or as often as on EU1.  No wonder range is having a field day.

Offline Zergmar

• Count
  • Renown: 213
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
  • Terrible at everything.
    • View Profile
    • indie game dev, RIP
  • Faction: Hobo
  • Game nicks: SirScumbag
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2011, 10:09:16 pm »
If you've decided on 1 weapon for life then +1 damage isn't too bad... when it's piercing or blunt.

Offline Keshian

• King
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011, 06:24:01 am »
No1 knows what the hell chadz has in mind we just gotta wait and see....

Also if he where to take everyones looms and leave every1 with 1 he better also do a gen theft or else the high gen grinders will still get a bunch more of looms in a matter of a few weeks.

And the players who rly did use the system like it was meant to be gets buttfucked.

Kesh is right best thing to loom now is armors or horses or xbow. anything that didnt get hit with the nerf hammer.

With recent patch, he did do an xp cap at 1450, so it doesn't matter how high your generation you are, the maximum amount of xp at x1 is 1450,  gen 1 makes 1000, so it really isnt that much of a difference, shaves almost 1/3rd the time off retiring, so in the time a gen 1 would retire 2 times you can retire 3 times, but in a few gens they would be retiring just as fast, plus I don't know about most people but I have no intention of ever retiring again, the benefits are extremely slim for most classes and the levelling is the slowest its ever been.  I actually despise grinding, thought chadz did too.  Also, there was no "intended' way to use the retirement system, I hit level 31 and would retire, no point to go to level 32 as the "level cap" chadz made was at 31, I just played more and therefore retired more often as did many others. 

Yes, horses are actually very good heirlooms.  Not sure if the 1st heirloom still is sometimes better than 3rd heirloom as "heavy" horses used to get more hitpoints and armor.  XBows/bows/shields/armor/horses.

Offline Camaris

• Count
  • Renown: 223
  • Infamy: 56
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Neresto_HRE
  • IRC nick: Neresto_HRE
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2011, 07:34:02 am »
I wont heirloom anything until i know if it gets stolen again.
I am lvl 27 atm and want to retire 3 more times but it depends on what chadz is doing.

I would be so pissed if i heirloom this week and next week my heirlooms are stolen.
So if i hit 31 i will wait until respec is offered.