Author Topic: Possible solution for reward system - kill multiplier finally!!!  (Read 1984 times)

Offline The_Bloody_Nine

• Marshall
  • Renown: 946
  • Infamy: 108
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • "I am still alive"
    • View Profile
Re: Possible solution for reward system - kill multiplier finally!!!
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2013, 04:19:49 pm »
Of course I'd like conquest mode. But whenever it is mentioned on the forum (not only by me) I usually see a few comments agreeing, and no comments declining it. Which on this forum already mean something.

So, "I like conquest" = "Replace battle with conquest"?

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • Renown: 1226
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Companions
  • Game nicks: Joker86_TP
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2013, 05:41:36 pm »
+1
So, "I like conquest" = "Replace battle with conquest"?

More like "battle mode has some real downsides, it needs to be reworked."
Joker makes a very good point.
î saved for eternety (without context  :mrgreen:)

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2013, 05:49:37 pm »
Says someone who isn't even playing it!

You don't like it? Fine. Don't play it. I like the simplicity that battle has. No stupid objectives, flags and whatnot. If you wanna change something then do it with Siege or DTV, I don't care.

I like battle how it is. Stay away from it.
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2013, 06:11:19 pm »
+3
No, you do not just force pubs to teamplay. It's their choice whether they want to teamplay or go fuck around and be a rambo. Their choice - if they want to teamplay, they go find a clan that uses voice com and does teamplay. Why should you punish the way they want to play the game?  Why should you kill the melee assassins which specialize in kills for example? With this you're punishing certain gameplay styles to focus completely on teamwork. Newsflash - not everyone wants to teamwork. Some just want to get in and mindlessly hack and slash away at people. It's their loss already if they didn't protect their archers and shit like that with losing a round. But punishing certain playstyles is punishing fun and linearizing gameplay.

You are introducing a single metagame because you're defining roles for each class - what each class should be doing to max their points. Anything done out of that job is penalized by not getting/getting less points.
I don't get why people think that 'freedom to choose how you play' is somehow untouchable.  Changing mechanics, as Joker is proposing, does involve a change in what way people are forced to play. Mechanics do however always force you to play a certain way, it is what game mechanics do. I'd like the play as Batman, but I can't. That is not unfair, that is game design. How is being penalized for being a rambo retard so unjustified? Just because you could play a certain way before makes it a crime against humanity to take that away?

It's like saying you can't remove ladders because it forces archers to play on the ground, not every archer wants to do that, so you can't remove ladders. It's their choice if they want to to be on a roof or not, why should you punish the way they want to play the game?

This backwards argumentation will never allow improving a game ever, it simply enforces the status quo. This suggestion still allows everyone to be as much of a rambo retard as he wants, he just wouldn't get rewarded for it, which is fine by me. Being a rambo retard is a privilege, not a divine right. You couldn't be a rambo retard in old cRPG, was that hugely unfair and outrageous, because that is how you seem to describe this change.

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2013, 06:16:27 pm »
Says someone who isn't even playing it!

Stop claiming that making 2 or 3 months of a break disqualify you from knowing how battle works, never mind how long you played it before. It just doesn't work.

You don't like it? Fine. Don't play it. I like the simplicity that battle has. No stupid objectives, flags and whatnot. If you wanna change something then do it with Siege or DTV, I don't care.

I like battle how it is. Stay away from it.

Well, tastes are different. Battle mode has the problem that archers and cavalry are actually more suited for it than infantry, as latter lack the level of flexibility of the first two classes, which has a massive negative impact on their gameplay and fun level (for many players, not for everyone, of course). That's why people constantly complain about archers or cavalry. You don't hear people from other game mode complain, do you? It's a matter of fact that infantry in battle mode is rather a passive class which has to react on all the attacks from the other classes for most of the time. And no balancing can change that. The fact that archers can shoot you from distance and that horses can backstab you are not fixed by lowering lance or bow damage. Infantry is the worst class in terms of picking their target, and everything is about picking your target when the goal is to kill the enemy team.

So at least from my side it's not only about the "flow of the battle" or whatever, it's also about class balance. Because in my eyes archers and cavalry are nerfed to shit compared to infantry, but still some people will claim the classes are OP. It's because the game mode favours them.

Now that left aside, I just like to mention that "replace battle mode with conquest mode" is only half of my opinion. It's actually "split battle mode into round based conquest and team deathmatch with respawns.". So those of the community who love hack and slay can go on the DM server, and those who prefer having real battles (instead of a lot of simultaneous duels like now) go on the conquest server. But if this was done (which won't happen, because nothing will be done any more, I guess), I bet most infantry players would sooner or later switch to the conquest server. The gameplay will be more rewarding for them.

Offline The_Bloody_Nine

• Marshall
  • Renown: 946
  • Infamy: 108
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • "I am still alive"
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2013, 06:36:34 pm »

You are eluding the point. You said it is an accepted opinion on the forum that battle should be replaced with conquest. When I replied I believe it is rather your own opinion you answered that whenever conquest is mentioned no one is against it. Argument, wtf?

It's actually "split battle mode into round based conquest and team deathmatch with respawns.". So those of the community who love hack and slay can go on the DM server, and those who prefer having real battles (instead of a lot of simultaneous duels like now) go on the conquest server.

Battle has quite another appeal for many players that is not served with either TDM/DM or a conquest like mod. It has much to do with the simple and free goal "kill enemy team" combined with no respawning. Though it certainly wore down over the years it has an intensity no respawn or forced goal mode could hope to achieve, IMO.

For example I would like to see a siege mode which is more like current battle, without any respawning. For that we would need extremely perfect siege maps with real big advantage for defenders that would only work with a fix number of players (double attackers or so). So its unlikely but I think it would be much more intense than anything that works with "flags" or similar artificial goals.

Of course these modes have their advantages, too. I like to see a good conquest but it is no replacement for battle. If we have enough players for both kind of modes is another matter, though.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 06:43:47 pm by The_Bloody_Nine »

Offline Konrax

• Count
  • Renown: 281
  • Infamy: 107
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Konrax of Chaos
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2013, 06:46:15 pm »
I think it's difficult to come up with a reward system for this mod until we hear directly from some of the devs as far as what ways we can affect experience gain.

So far this is more a wishlist without some input.

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2013, 08:46:32 pm »
+2
You are eluding the point. You said it is an accepted opinion on the forum that battle should be replaced with conquest. When I replied I believe it is rather your own opinion you answered that whenever conquest is mentioned no one is against it. Argument, wtf?

Well, when I only read things like "conquest would be nice" and "yes, it battle mode seems to cause some problems" I assumed it would be pretty accepted. Especially since there was no noticeable amount of "I don't like the conquest mode idea" posts I have stumbled upon. Which in this forums means something. Just go and write in any thread without connection to the topic that you think archers should do more damage or run faster. Or that lances/horses should do more damage, or that horses should have more hitpoints, and see what happens  :wink:

Battle has quite another appeal for many players that is not served with either TDM/DM or a conquest like mod. It has much to do with the simple and free goal "kill enemy team" combined with no respawning. Though it certainly wore down over the years it has an intensity no respawn or forced goal mode could hope to achieve, IMO.

For example I would like to see a siege mode which is more like current battle, without any respawning. For that we would need extremely perfect siege maps with real big advantage for defenders that would only work with a fix number of players (double attackers or so). So its unlikely but I think it would be much more intense than anything that works with "flags" or similar artificial goals.

Of course these modes have their advantages, too. I like to see a good conquest but it is no replacement for battle. If we have enough players for both kind of modes is another matter, though.

Bloody Nine, I think once again we can agree that we disagree. I guess we reached a point where it's a matter of taste and nothing else. I do like the one life you got in battle, too (just in case there was some misunderstanding: in difference to Smoothrich, who is also lobbying for conquest mode, I am against respawns. Players need to have only one life so that there is actually a thrill in the game with the possibility to die). I just don't like the missing focus of battle. Usually after the first quarter of the round most teams are scattered all over their half of the map. To me it often creates the feeling of many duellants looking for each other in a multi-duel-mode, and I guess it's the attitude of quite a lot players out there. But I think there is more in this game than that, and in addition I think there is no "decision" to be made. You don't have to choose between two different playstyles, you have to choose between going deeper into the game or not. And quite frankly, you don't even have to choose. Nobody can stop you from running away.

I can understand that people enjoy battle mode in its current shape. But I think there is so much more to this game than just hacking and stabbing. And I do have the (I can't deny you could call it "arrogant") opinion, that sometimes you have to force something good upon the people so they can like it. When the potatoe came from America, nobody in Germany liked it. Some people stole the (poisonous) fruits of the potatoe and even died of it, further cementing the bad reputation. The German Emperor found a funny trick and let his soldiers guard the potatoe fields all day long. The peasants became curious why he should have simple vegetables guarded that well and stole some potatoes at night to give them another chance. And they liked them. And now we Germans are sometimes even called "potatoes", for the amount of potatoes we eat.

This example is to show that such things don't only work with children, but also with full grown people. I bet if people gave it a shot, they would discover a lot of nice aspects, and they would see that there is no need to learn a different behaviour, there is only need to learn some new things. I mean, I spent some time thinking about battle mode, upkeep and multiplier system. Really sitting down and thinking about it. I don't think everybody who plays cRPG did that. So how can I know people who refuse my suggestions are at the same state of knowledge and awareness about different aspects of the game? How can I know it's not the old "Something new? Dun' like it!"-attitude people tend to have (me included, but mainly concerning other things. My brother's new PC with Windows 8 is driving me crazy. No start button? Really, Microsoft?)?

That's my point of view. I hope I didn't sound too arrogant, and I definitely don't want to limit somebody or destroy his fun. But it's like with a new dish: people often are sceptic. And perhaps they smell it, and they don't like it. Most dishes taste like they smell, but not all do. All I want people is to try my new dish, and in this case trying means thinking about it properly. And if I notice someone is making a good point like Moncho did (he found a flaw in my system) I do accept it. I am far from perfect or infallible. But if I see that I spend quite some time thinking about a matter, finding the best solution I could, and then people react like "I didn't read everything, but your suggestion is bullshit", how can I take that serious? Some matters ARE highly complicated, and they need some effort and training period, and if I receive such an answer I simply stay stubborn.

Sorry for the long post, but I know you as reasonable and smart guy, so apparently I felt the urge to explain myself to you.

Offline Glyph

• Baron
  • Renown: 143
  • Infamy: 40
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
  • Turbulence incoming
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Horris
« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2013, 10:24:14 pm »
+2
First of, Joker, you have the incredeble power to convince me every single time, not because I'm a fan or anything alike, but in all the posts and replies you make, I can see you've really put effort into making them and thinking about the game and how it could be improved. More people should acknowledge that.

Now on to the real business, I think your suggestion significantly reduces the amount of unfair and undeserved money and exp get when they're in a team that is very good(where for example a clan cooperating to win) and rewarding those who work together do what they can to help their team. Moncho has a very good point which is a flaw in this rewarding system for the mod, but there are WAY more flaws in the current system.

What I've noticed about the community is that almost everyone is afraid of change. That is very logical, it could drastically change the way you are currently playing(and hopefully enjoying the game), maybe it does only hurt your way of playing. but if it helps the mod to be more populair and serve the biggest amount of players you possibly can, it should happen.

A lot of people keep say that they want to rambo and kill on their own, but I don't see why, because every time there is a mayor coming together of the community, like on thursday, people make seperate posts with screenshots and whatnot and talk about how great it was to see the clans together and be with so many people doing one thing. Which is teamwork.

Another thing I'd like to ask to those who object to have a system like this implemented into the game, is: Why did you buy Warband? Because one of the mayor things I thought was awsome is the teamwork. The youtube clips showing how 50 people in a row hold their shields up so the archers can soften up the enemy team without dying. Then everyone charges in and the killing commences. another scenario is that 20 people are in a siege tower waiting for the hatch to open so they can all storm out while in the gap in the wall people are forming up because they know what's coming at them in a minute. I love this game not because I can duel with people on my own, but because a big group of a hundred people can charge into another group of a hundred people which has a certain thing to it, doing it all together is a big thing in this game and that's why I think it should be rewarded.

I too, like Joker am a person that thinks about the game for a long time, not how awsome my kills were today but how to improve the game, most of those times I've deeply thought about it, improving comes down to mayorly changing the mod. I know there is only a minute(bloody small) chance this will ever happen though, which is a shame IMO. Anyhow, I will keep thinking of solutions to make the mod near to perfect, because I love the mod and community.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Glyph you have obsessive Horse Archer and Horse hatred.
- Official diagnosis :)

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2013, 11:05:17 pm »
...says another guy rarely playing Battle.

Which implies battle mode actually changed during the last months ? I "rarely" played it enough to tell you it didn't. Except there's almost no cav now, which doesn't change my point.

Offline Dooz

• Duke
  • Renown: 674
  • Infamy: 165
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Horrible_Human
    • View Profile
    • Wasteland Fight Club
« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2013, 09:45:12 am »
guys this emperor is trying to give us peasants a potato so lets just pretend we're hungry and fire up those fryers ok

Offline Haboe

• King
  • Renown: 1090
  • Infamy: 331
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Born with a shield on my back. Difficult birth.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Haboe
« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2013, 10:06:40 am »
Complicated, hard to programm, harder to balance.

I kinda like it.

Offline Lannistark

• Duke
  • Renown: 586
  • Infamy: 118
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Deserters
  • Game nicks: Duke
« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2013, 10:10:39 am »
This certainly looks promising. I completely agree with effort and teamwork being highly rewarded instead of bear force and performance. The thing is the suggestion lies obnoxious to the easy counter-argument: How in Earth are you going to balance this?

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2013, 10:33:38 am »
Stop claiming that making 2 or 3 months of a break disqualify you from knowing how battle works, never mind how long you played it before. It just doesn't work.

Well, tastes are different. Battle mode has the problem that archers and cavalry are actually more suited for it than infantry, as latter lack the level of flexibility of the first two classes, which has a massive negative impact on their gameplay and fun level (for many players, not for everyone, of course). That's why people constantly complain about archers or cavalry. You don't hear people from other game mode complain, do you? It's a matter of fact that infantry in battle mode is rather a passive class which has to react on all the attacks from the other classes for most of the time. And no balancing can change that. The fact that archers can shoot you from distance and that horses can backstab you are not fixed by lowering lance or bow damage. Infantry is the worst class in terms of picking their target, and everything is about picking your target when the goal is to kill the enemy team.

So at least from my side it's not only about the "flow of the battle" or whatever, it's also about class balance. Because in my eyes archers and cavalry are nerfed to shit compared to infantry, but still some people will claim the classes are OP. It's because the game mode favours them.

Now that left aside, I just like to mention that "replace battle mode with conquest mode" is only half of my opinion. It's actually "split battle mode into round based conquest and team deathmatch with respawns.". So those of the community who love hack and slay can go on the DM server, and those who prefer having real battles (instead of a lot of simultaneous duels like now) go on the conquest server. But if this was done (which won't happen, because nothing will be done any more, I guess), I bet most infantry players would sooner or later switch to the conquest server. The gameplay will be more rewarding for them.
Just no. I don't want stupid respawning or I would play siege. I like my battle how it is.
It's still hilarious in my eyes that you just wanna change something that people like, obviously cuz otherwise EU1 would be empty all day.

You're not suggestion "some changes to battle", you wanna completely replace it with something you wanna play. That's pretty arrogant.
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2013, 11:33:24 am »
Just no. I don't want stupid respawning or I would play siege. I like my battle how it is.
It's still hilarious in my eyes that you just wanna change something that people like, obviously cuz otherwise EU1 would be empty all day.

You're not suggestion "some changes to battle", you wanna completely replace it with something you wanna play. That's pretty arrogant.

EU1 isn't full all day either, but it used to.

And pretty much most suggestions revolve around replacing one thing with something the author prefers.

I need the people actually "being into conquest mode", so that the change takes some effect. But I fear if conquest runs parallely to battle mode, we will first have the conquest server being full and the battle server being empty all day, just because conquest is the new thing. But once the thrill of the new is gone, all those people who still have not adjusted to the new game mode will switch back to battle. And I don't know what the percentage is. I expect them to not be that many, because the adjustment is not difficult or something like that. But on the other hand: we are talking about the cRPG community here. And yes, I want as many fellow players on the conquest server as possible. The more the merrier.

And the other reason for a replacement is very simple: conquest mode would leave some room for buffing archers and cav. And if you did that, battle would become unplayable for infantry again.