Author Topic: How fast is an attack sequence.  (Read 715 times)

Offline owens

• Earl
  • Renown: 436
  • Infamy: 389
  • cRPG Player
  • PK_BALLA
    • View Profile
    • Our Website
  • Faction: Persian Kittens
  • Game nicks: PK's nice guy
  • IRC nick: PK world tour pm to donate
How fast is an attack sequence.
« on: May 12, 2013, 12:58:59 pm »
How long does it take from the start of an attack to the collision if an opponent is in front of you.

Just wondering can block some weps with 240 ping but not many i read somewhere human reaction is around .17

Im after a general formula attack direction weapon type and speed maybe at say 100wpf
maybe a table
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 01:25:37 pm by owens »
PK is back

PK is a collection of elites from throughout modern and ancient history. Giants of Calradia individually, as a group these gods of combat shatter all expectations and ascend to a higher plain of victory that only a few have seen before.

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
Re: How fast is an attack sequence.
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 01:01:51 pm »
+4
That depends on way too many things.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 01:02:53 pm »
+7
Depends on weapon type, speed, weather, proficiency, Meow, attack direction, mood, held time...

Offline the real god emperor

• King
  • Renown: 1630
  • Infamy: 348
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • Et tu, Brute?
    • View Profile
    • Click for gifts
  • Faction: Rome
  • Game nicks: Captain_Sweden
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2013, 01:03:05 pm »
I will just leave this here.

(click to show/hide)

Offline owens

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
  • PK_BALLA
    • View Profile
    • Our Website
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2013, 01:19:42 pm »
sorry i will clarify
PK is back

PK is a collection of elites from throughout modern and ancient history. Giants of Calradia individually, as a group these gods of combat shatter all expectations and ascend to a higher plain of victory that only a few have seen before.

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2013, 02:00:12 pm »
+2
I think about 0.6 to 1.0 seconds, when excluding instastabs, hiltslashes and other borky attacks.

My main problem with blocking with NA ping (a mere 115), NA 3, mostly which seems to be a worse server than NA 1, is not that I do not have the time to block, but that the server seems to constantly get my block direction wrong. Even when I block as quick as I can, which should probably still leave like 0.5 spare time, even with this ping, and that is worst case scenario. The attack goes straight through my block regardless. About 50% of my blocks simply fail even though it looks perfectly fine on my screen and with easily enough time to spare to compensate for the ping.

My point is that ping is not just delay but also synchronization issues, packet loss or something. Which in my experience with playing NA strat are much more troublesome than the delay when it comes to blocking. If ping only resulted in delay I guess that if you were a fast blocker you should be able to block pretty well with 240 ping. Human reaction is probably more like 200-300 ms in such a situation though. 170 ms is probably measured without any distraction and in perfect concentration and even then it seems quite a bit faster than average. With extensive synchronization issues however, blocking is probably neigh impossible.

Offline owens

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
  • PK_BALLA
    • View Profile
    • Our Website
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2013, 03:25:16 pm »
^Yeah this matches my experience.

Blockable

2H and 1H stabs.
slow 1 handers
danish german and flamberge
poleaxes bardiche

No longswords

I never was a real "fast" blocker no point with normal ping, but i am learning kadeth and swagg can block more reliably than me but are both really great players I guess i will se what the future brings.
PK is back

Offline isatis

• Duke
  • Renown: 624
  • Infamy: 78
  • cRPG Player
  • ink+water showing their true potential!
    • View Profile
    • le Clan des Cochons!
  • Faction: Le clan des Cochons!!
  • Game nicks: Cochon_Furtif_Isatis
  • IRC nick: Isatis
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2013, 03:37:21 pm »
As a big ping adept, around 100 with burst to 120 almost every 10 min, I have developped a way to block with relative goodness. I actually have to block BEFORE the swing. That's a bit tricky as you have to watchout for sneaky people who use reverse direction, but in NA you usually know everyone so you know who uses that tricky trick.

Also, if you see someone feint, just back up (s key)

And do not rely on blocking, as teeth said, at high ping perfect block can be registered strangely, the animation I see on my comp and the animation my char make are not the same (that explain the high number of th I made :P )

rely on foot work and you should be ok!

So the new response to ranged ragers is not "get a shield", it is "learn to chamber ranged nub!"

Offline no_rules_just_play

• King
  • Renown: 1401
  • Infamy: 384
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE; Peasants United; Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: CapraAegagrusHircus_HRE; no_rules_just_play_HRE
  • IRC nick: norulesjustplay
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2013, 03:51:54 pm »
i have to say, an interesting discussion. Knowing what weapons you can block with what ping is pretty usefull i guess.

However, it also depends on how you move ofcourse, you can make it easier to block by moving so that the enemy has to hit you where you want him to hit you.

Offline Kadeth

• Marshall
  • Renown: 845
  • Infamy: 81
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Calradian Confederacy
  • Game nicks: kadeth
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2013, 02:15:08 am »
+1
I've been struggling as a ping warrior for the last few weeks on NA_1, but I haven't had any problems with the server getting the block direction wrong. It's just hard to get the block up in time. I usually have to guess which direction the opponent is going to swing and block well and truly before the animation begins.

To anyone that has to put up with 200+ ping: avoid 2H heroes and target shielders or archers. Or better yet, stop trying to play competitively because it's impossible and just go and leech on EU_DOUBLE_XP