Author Topic: H. Throwing axes  (Read 1254 times)

Offline Penitent

• King
  • Renown: 1389
  • Infamy: 220
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Penitent_Turtler
H. Throwing axes
« on: May 11, 2013, 06:29:08 am »
+9
Heavy throwing axes should really be 3 ammo.  They aren't that good.
They don't do as much damage nor are as they as accurate as some of the other throwing weapons that have 3 ammo.

Imbalanced.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 06:41:55 am by Garison »

Offline Tzar

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 564
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_TzarOfRushYa
  • IRC nick: TZAR
Re: H. Throwing axes
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2013, 04:38:56 pm »
+1
I've never played a server where people split up as much or as often as on EU1.  No wonder range is having a field day.

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2013, 04:39:31 pm »
+2
Increase damage instead
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline Penitent

• King
  • Renown: 1389
  • Infamy: 220
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Penitent_Turtler
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2013, 07:04:08 am »
Here's an idea, maybe increase melee capability. 

Right now its imbalanced though.

Offline The_Bloody_Nine

• Marshall
  • Renown: 946
  • Infamy: 108
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • "I am still alive"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 04:26:10 pm »

Offline Turboflex

• Duke
  • Renown: 648
  • Infamy: 212
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 04:44:28 pm »
I don't mind 2 per stack but the damage needs to be adjusted to be more in line with jarids & throwing lances.

jarid 3x 40 pierce
HTA 2x 47 cut
lance 1x 60 pierce

Pretty simple damage:quantity scale here and clearly with 2x 47c the HTA is underpowered. It should be at least 50c and probably 52c to compensate for cut being crappier than pierce.

Offline Algarn

• King
  • Renown: 1230
  • Infamy: 268
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Algarn, Jorick
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2013, 06:54:21 pm »
Buff throwing in general, throwing lance is silly ... you got a lance in the torso , and you are still alive ... silly ... Arbalest is OP if we compare to throwing , that's deadly , accurate , you have a lot of ammo (24 steel bolts max ) , so , ... buff throwing ...

Oh , and the price of javelins is ... silly too (skirmishers = poor guys , so they throw javelins on enemy , and retreat. javelins were just a stick with a bodkin ... not like a jarid) . Set it to 3000/3500 gold , and it would be fine ...

Offline Turboflex

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2013, 09:26:05 pm »
Throwing in general is fine, comparing to arbalast is silly. tactically it is completely different.

Offline Tydeus

• King
  • Renown: 1422
  • Infamy: 351
  • Item re-unbalance guy
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tydeus
  • IRC nick: Tydeus
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2013, 09:33:39 pm »
+3
HTA are also 40% less gold than other throwing weapons with comparable damage, and the HTA have a much better melee mode as well. Not that I'm saying HTA are where they should be, I just think 40% less cost and an actual usable melee mode is worth mentioning.
chadz> i wouldnt mind seeing some penis on my character

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2013, 07:32:41 am »
Throwing in general is fine, comparing to arbalast is silly. tactically it is completely different.

Yeah, that's like comparing the Rondel Dagger to a Greatsword, just because both of them are melee weapons.

Yet, their playstyle is way too different.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Algarn

• King
  • Renown: 1230
  • Infamy: 268
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Algarn, Jorick
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2013, 11:21:21 am »
yeah, i know , but I just wanted to say that's really better to be a crossbowman/sniper then a thrower , because as thrower ,  you have a low ammo , low accuracy , axes can hurt a lot , but that's not as a +3 arbalest and a+3 steel bolt (1 shot).

and irl , a guy is wounded with an arrow or a bolt ,  he can survive at this. but if you have a javelin or an axe in the body , that's already more hard to stay alive.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 11:40:30 am by Algarn_of_Nord »

Offline Turboflex

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2013, 04:28:48 pm »
As a shielder I think it's better to have throwing. As a non-shielder I would maybe consider a xbow.

Throwing works very well hybriding with shield cuz you can get off shots quickly and on the run so you can use it as an anti-kiter / s-key hero tactic. It also works better against horses which normally have it easy against shields.

For a non-shielder a xbow might be better because you are faster and have a longer weapon so s-key types, kiters and horses are less of a problem, but since you don't have a shield, you are vulnerable to archers. If there is a strong archer firing area, a shielder could just charge across, but for a non shielder it is suicide, but with a xbow he can take cover and then use the xbow to fight them instead. Plus he can still use it to pick off horses, or just contribute to overall ranged fire capabilities of his team to grab the initiative.

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2013, 05:24:09 pm »
For a non-shielder a xbow might be better because you are faster and have a longer weapon so s-key types, kiters and horses are less of a problem, but since you don't have a shield, you are vulnerable to archers. If there is a strong archer firing area, a shielder could just charge across, but for a non shielder it is suicide, but with a xbow he can take cover and then use the xbow to fight them instead. Plus he can still use it to pick off horses, or just contribute to overall ranged fire capabilities of his team to grab the initiative.

Bolded part. Even though it was true before the slots change on crossbow and light crossbow, I hardly see anyone using the hunting crossbow to carry a longer melee weapon.
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2013, 06:23:23 pm »
+2
Every non-peasant throwing weapon should have roughly the same damage per stack. This is a repost of some calcs I did a few months ago:

I'll use espu's calculations, despite the fact that the damage formula is out of date, but there isn't an up-to-date damage calculator as far as I know.

I'll assume 5 power throw, 100 wpf (typical hybrid thrower stats), against a target with 50 armor (my guess of the average body armor in crpg right now).

Damage per stack (value if loomed to +3 shown in parentheses):
Francisca: 46 (66)
Throwing axes: 63 (77)
Heavy throwing axes: 61 (70)
Throwing hammer: 66 (81)
War Darts: 66 (99)
Jarid: 93 (108)

I didn't include throwing spears or lances, because they are the realm of dedicated throwers, not hybrids. But as you can see, Jarid is the clear choice, and all 3 of the axe options are just bad. War darts are surprisingly good when loomed to +3, it just takes forever to kill someone. Heavy throwing axe should be 3 per stack, regular 4 per stack, and francisca 5 per stack. Revert to the old damage values. Then we would have nice balance among throwing weapons.