Author Topic: Suggest a Game -- Win a Loom Point Contest  (Read 8075 times)

Offline IR_Kuoin

• King
  • Renown: 1761
  • Infamy: 331
  • cRPG Player
  • What too write here?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigåde
  • Game nicks: KuoiN, Ziath
  • IRC nick: Simply Kuoin
Re: Suggest a Game -- Win a Loom Point Contest
« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2013, 09:48:20 am »
MMo-rpg best one that will beat WoW is , Elder Scrolls Online

It is going to fail horribly, setting put 1000 years before Skyrim, still using the same models for giants and spiders, 1000 years before and in another region, and the giants still look like Yeties.

Personally I suggest Guild Wars 2, or Tera seeing that it is f2p now with no limitations regarding to subscription and f2p players.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Gnjus

• King
  • Renown: 1831
  • Infamy: 397
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Siktir git, pislik okçu.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Turklings
Do you honestly think you have any sort of moral authority, Reyiz? Go genocide some more armenians and deny it ever happened, please, and stay in the middle east.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 06, 2013, 10:00:40 am »
+2
You're asking for quite a lot. I'd say it's impossible to find an MMO that suits all those requirements. Trust me on this, I have played&tested countless MMOs.

Anyway, not posting here to win the loom point, just to help a fellow MMO seeker out. Here's my list of "worthy" sandboxes:

Ahh yeah, there actually is quite a few - but only a few are worth playing (imo) :D

Haven&Hearth (my fav)
Salem
Wurm Online
Ultima Online
Darkfall Unholy Wars
EVE Online
Xsyon
Mortal Online
A Tale In The Desert
Star Wars: Galaxies

To name a few. Rest I tried were too shitty to be able recall names.

There's a few in development that seem interesting as well.

There's also this thing called Planet Calypso, it's supposedly a sandbox as well, but uses a "real money business model", meaning you can (potentionally) earn real money in-game. But you'll have to invest to get to that point.

it is like DDO? dungeons & dragons online

ive always been a fan of D&D but DDO is basicly instances like in guild wars and no "real" open world.

It's actually your standard themepark MMO, there is some open world, but it is separated in channels, so the game is mostly instanced. Has a few unique things, but it's nothing remarkable.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 10:09:35 am by Vibe »

Offline Little Lord Lollipop

• Duke
  • Renown: 582
  • Infamy: 49
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Always Take The Shot
  • Game nicks: Frumpty_Dumpty_ATTS
« Reply #48 on: May 06, 2013, 10:38:07 am »
Personally I find that every single "free to play" game is actually just "pay to win" (play the base game for free while you watch others spend real life money to get what would take you months of grinding). One game I was fascinated when it came out was SWG.  I won't bore you with long descriptions about exploring far reaches of the galaxy, customizing just about everything for your character, the ability to follow your own path (trader,smuggler,jedi,musician,bounty hunter, etc.) Anyways after Sony killed the combat system and abandoned the game, someone started a project to rebuild it from the ground up. It's great with a party of friends so check it out if you can.

You have to buy a cheap physical copy of SWG from ebay or wherever and get started

http://www.swgemu.com/forums/index.php

A torrented copy of the game will work as well (from experience). Really deep game but you definitely need a group of people to make it work.
Dear Little Lord Lollipop
You have received a warning for being a total twat.
Best Regards,
The cRPG Forum Team

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • Renown: 1226
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Companions
  • Game nicks: Joker86_TP
« Reply #49 on: May 06, 2013, 11:54:10 am »
Wasn't Mortal Online a bugfest like no other and failed utterly? At least this was the state of affairs when I heard about it the last time. And on a youtube video for the free to play trailer I just watched the top comment says that the trailer tries to convey that you will be using pickaxes a lot. Is this true?

A game I liked to play was Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning. But I might be biased as I love the Warhammer background. Technically it's a really stanrdard MMORPG, with the usual few unique feature which prevent that group of MMORPGs to be 100% clones of each other who differ only in their art design. What I liked about the game were the public quests (similar to what Guild Wars 2 has) and the PvP where you have some kind of "push"-game mode between the capitals of two nations, going across all the maps between them. (All maps have a PvP-area, which is rather seperted from the rest. Unless you are on a PvP server you can purely focus on PvE if you want. Of course the PvP areas contain all the standard stuff like castles to be claimed by guilds, siege machines and so on).

But all in all it's just good, established standard, but with the (superior  :mrgreen: ) Warhammer background. Might lack players these days, though...  :?
Joker makes a very good point.
î saved for eternety (without context  :mrgreen:)

Offline FleetFox

• Marshall
  • Renown: 711
  • Infamy: 72
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Fox Shox Rox
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Norsemen
  • Game nicks: Norse_Torr and FleetFox
« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2013, 01:08:31 pm »
Wasn't Mortal Online a bugfest like no other and failed utterly? At least this was the state of affairs when I heard about it the last time. And on a youtube video for the free to play trailer I just watched the top comment says that the trailer tries to convey that you will be using pickaxes a lot. Is this true?

A game I liked to play was Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning. But I might be biased as I love the Warhammer background. Technically it's a really stanrdard MMORPG, with the usual few unique feature which prevent that group of MMORPGs to be 100% clones of each other who differ only in their art design. What I liked about the game were the public quests (similar to what Guild Wars 2 has) and the PvP where you have some kind of "push"-game mode between the capitals of two nations, going across all the maps between them. (All maps have a PvP-area, which is rather seperted from the rest. Unless you are on a PvP server you can purely focus on PvE if you want. Of course the PvP areas contain all the standard stuff like castles to be claimed by guilds, siege machines and so on).

But all in all it's just good, established standard, but with the (superior  :mrgreen: ) Warhammer background. Might lack players these days, though...  :?

Hehe Mortal Online does have a lot of crafting and gathering/constructing which uses tools like a pickaxe, but that is only one aspect :P it just depends on which videos you watch and what the players are aiming to do ^^ freedom is everything, also many bugs have been sorted atleast last time i played.
"Its better to die on your feet than to live on your knees."
― Emiliano Zapata

Offline Radament

• King
  • Renown: 1071
  • Infamy: 64
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • ☑Yes ☒No
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction
  • Game nicks: «Radament» «Miasma»
« Reply #51 on: May 06, 2013, 02:11:21 pm »
+6

One of the best old RPG , not an MMO but if you play in Persistent worlds it's like quite similar if not better.
Some Persistent worlds are  purely incentrated on roleplaying with a world to explore , monsters to kill , player's quest , events ,  player housing , socializing , PvP and much more.
The grapics are a bit outdated but you can install a little modification that overwrites all the game's texture with better ones.
To play in these servers you just need a copy of the game with both expansions , create a new account and direct connect with the desired server and download the .hak file requested to join.
Since Gamespy stopped working here's a list of the working servers http://www.nwnlist.com/
I suggest Neverwinter Nights 1 over the second cause of content and population but if you prefer graphics instead of content , just go straight to NWN 2 (it's the same procedure to join).

VIDEO

NWN 1

NWN 2

*NOTE : this is not Neverwinter Online , it has nothing to do with the ones i suggested.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 02:15:16 pm by Radament »

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 06, 2013, 02:20:35 pm »
+2

Mortal Online is meh at best. This is not counting the bugs (there are quite a few). The idea is great but the execution is bad. Also you need to subscribe/pay to compete - the model is freemium, your skill will be limited at 60 (out of 100) if you're a free player. It's not a devastatingly bad game, but it's not good either.

WHO was pretty cool back in the days. Lvl 40, about 40 RR (IIRC) Warrior Priest here ;). For it's time it was good, the public quests were a nice thing compared to standard questing, leveling through pvp was awesome as well and RvR being the core was awesome. Loved laying sieges and having good, massive open fights in the RvR zones. I'm not sure why I quit, I think it was bad faction balance and mostly the "zerg or get zerged" meta that was going on.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 02:27:40 pm by Vibe »

Offline EyeBeat

• Earl
  • Renown: 432
  • Infamy: 175
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 20th BEST PLAYER IN HOSPITALLER
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hospitaller
  • Game nicks: EyeBeat_The_Wanderer
  • IRC nick: EyeBeat
« Reply #53 on: May 06, 2013, 02:23:51 pm »
+1
[youtube]l2kG8-n_baY[/youtube]

[youtube]JQc8EA02FCw[/youtube]

Being a smallish community doesn't entitle you to act more like a dick than other communities.

Offline Tambajus

• Peasant
  • Renown: 5
  • Infamy: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 06, 2013, 02:39:58 pm »
+3
Dark Age of Camelot. It's old but imho still the best.
The best massively pvp (rvr) i have played.

the music video...  :rolleyes:

Offline Armpit_Sweat

• High Lord of the Spam
  • King
  • Renown: 1417
  • Infamy: 154
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Armpit_Sweat, My_horses_name_is_Rebecca
« Reply #55 on: May 06, 2013, 02:55:57 pm »
+9
[youtube]l2kG8-n_baY[/youtube]

[youtube]JQc8EA02FCw[/youtube]

That youtube is patato, but you have a nice gif in your sig :)

EDIT:

How about you try a game called real life? I've heard it's pretty sweet but haven't tried it out yet :lol:

Meets all the requirements if you just make it so. Now, what did I win?

That game is shit! Rated 1/10 by 95% of the players! The amounts of grind, to get decent skills and gear is astrofuckingnomical! Perma-death, most of the players are retarded scammers, market-prices are a day-light theft! Not to mention, that the few wealthy players there are - got their accounts from someone else, or stole/scammed their gold.
And get this - you will have one account, and one character only. No exceptions! All players start with unequal stats, skills and gear :( wtf?! There is about 4/5 chance you will start as a slave class, with 500% reduction to your XP rate, and your account will expire very soon.
PvP and RvR is pretty good, but chances are - you will die before even seeing an enemy, and as i mentioned before, perma-death is not to be joked with :( The last good raid was a loo-o-ong time ago, it took 6 years to kill the Final Boss, while 100.000.000 players lost their accounts. My grandfather was a part of it, took that damn Boss down, and haven't even rolled any good loot. What a waste! ( awesome XP though )
Damn, just stay away from this abomination! You are better off playing Minesweeper or Tetris.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 03:31:26 pm by Armpit_Sweat »
  Spam at The Temple of Spam

Offline Angantyr

• King
  • Renown: 1134
  • Infamy: 130
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 06, 2013, 03:13:24 pm »
+1
(click to show/hide)
Though not active anymore I've played Neverwinter Nights for about 7 years. As Radament says just skip the sequel, NWN1 still has the greatest servers and community (and most charming graphics). If you want RP on your computer there is no better place to go than to one of the persistent RP servers, for example Arelith (most hardcore in reinforcing IC and OOC rules, you have to eat, drink and sleep, low magic setting and the server with the longest persistent, player driven history).
Here it is expected that you stay 'in-character' at all times, you get XP ticks for active role-playing (can still gain experience from monsters of course) and what RP cannot be achieved via mechanics are done via an excellent narrative approach that puts next to no limit on player creativity.

It's very dialogue, choice and consequence driven, lots of politics, crafting and character development, and thus has a generally mature and highly dedicated community. Arelith is set in the FR setting, so a bit of FR lore or D&D knowledge is not unwelcome, though not necessary.

When online CRPG more or less vanished from the Ultima Online servers it went to private shards and NWN.

And of course, it is free to play.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 03:30:28 pm by Angantyr »

Offline Falka

• King
  • Renown: 1257
  • Infamy: 423
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 06, 2013, 04:27:40 pm »
+1
How about you try a game called real life? I've heard it's pretty sweet but haven't tried it out yet :lol:

Meets all the requirements if you just make it so. Now, what did I win?

That game is shit! Rated 1/10 by 95% of the players!
(click to show/hide)

Ye, I gave it a try once and it's disaster, worse than Dragon Age 2! Stay away from this so called "real life", it's not worth your time. To be honest I'm thinking about deleting my account - this game is so shitty!

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • Renown: 1226
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Companions
  • Game nicks: Joker86_TP
« Reply #58 on: May 06, 2013, 04:37:26 pm »
WHO was pretty cool back in the days. Lvl 40, about 40 RR (IIRC) Warrior Priest here ;). For it's time it was good, the public quests were a nice thing compared to standard questing, leveling through pvp was awesome as well and RvR being the core was awesome. Loved laying sieges and having good, massive open fights in the RvR zones. I'm not sure why I quit, I think it was bad faction balance and mostly the "zerg or get zerged" meta that was going on.

I know what you mean. The game gets old, somehow, but I can't put my finger on it. At some point you just stop discovering new AND interesting stuff...  :?

Another thing I'd like to recommend (as I still have one left) is The Secret World. It's refreshingly different, but has a few incredibly annoying mechanics (Solo instances, porting through Argatha, etc.). On the other hand it's basically "level free", which means that after some time all characters are of the same strength, but still there are hundreds of skills left to unlock. And in the end everyone has every skill. You can only use seven active skills you activate with your 1-7 keys, and seven passives, which grant you passive bonuses or improve certain active skills. You can use two different weapons classes of the available 9 (Pistols, Shotguns, Assault Rifles, Blade Weapons, Hammers, Fist Weapons, Blood Magic Tomes, Chaos Magic or Elemental Magic focuses/foci(?)) and the according active skills, the passive skills of every weapon class are not bound to equipping the corresponding weapon. Which allows interesting combinations.

Next to the two main weapons you can also use auxiliary weapons, of which the whip, the rocket launcher, the Quantum (some kind of techno-magical bracer) and the chainsaw are implemented. A few will porbably follow in the next patches.

And finally you have three smaller skill trees which are basically survival, aggro increasment and aggro reduction.

With this you have basically a gazillion of possible builds, even healing tanks or tanking damage dealers are possible.

The art design is beyond any doubt the most atmospheric and unique in the entire MMORPG-sector.
Joker makes a very good point.
î saved for eternety (without context  :mrgreen:)

Offline Phantasmal

• Duke
  • Renown: 510
  • Infamy: 46
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Astralis
  • Game nicks: Phantasmal_Astralis, The_Ebon_Hawk
  • IRC nick: Phantasmal
« Reply #59 on: May 06, 2013, 06:30:59 pm »
+1
I would say if you have enough friends, the original Guild Wars. You have great customization in the skills you choose (unlike GW2) and you have tons of PvE things to do if you purchase all the expansions. The first playthrough on normal will be pretty easy but when it comes to hard mode, most of the missions will give you and your friends a run for your money, especially if you have never played the game before. It is probably the game I have sunk the most time into ever. The stories, especially the original, were also pretty good. Unfortunately the PvP is mostly dead due to the age of the game as well as the release of GW2. My favorite class was a dedicated healer. The amount of micromanaging that goes into controlling/spending your mana in the best way possible while keeping everyone alive was one of the best challenges ever. If you have any questions about the game, just send me a pm!

First impressions:
(click to show/hide)

Here is the beginning of an elite mission (depending on the skill of the group, the mission runs anywhere from 2-4 hours[they are running this on normal mode, not hard mode by the way. Hard mode means more mobs and higher leveled enemies, which tests the skills of your party to its limits.]):
(click to show/hide)

EDIT: Fuck it, if you guys play I will make a new character and join if you want me to. I miss this game so much.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 02:24:35 am by Phantasmal »
Worst admin ever, horrible person, rude in chat, griefs in game, threatens with kicks and bans if you don't praise him in his admin thread, doesn't worship the goat, and worst of all, uses a crossbow, I suggest instant removal of admin rights and crucifixion.