Author Topic: Unsheathable weapons slot usage  (Read 1526 times)

Offline OzyTheSage

• Baron
  • Renown: 84
  • Infamy: 6
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Om nom nom
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress
  • Game nicks: Ozymandias
Unsheathable weapons slot usage
« on: May 03, 2011, 03:26:40 am »
I can understand why this was added in and think it's a good idea, however, I'm also slightly confused. I was under the impression slots were a representation of places on your character you could holster a weapon, yet an unsheathable weapon can take up 2 of these slots without ever "using" them. What does everyone else think about this? Should they be reduced to 1 slot each or am I understanding this completely wrong?

EDIT: Somewhat unrelated, but it would be nice if each slot represented your left, right, and back slots. Polearms would probably only be able to go on the back, and shields should be able to go on the back even with a weapon on the back (they have their own straps). I don't know how feasable this would be, if at all.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 03:28:45 am by OzyTheSage »

Offline ArchonAlarion

• Baron
  • Renown: 98
  • Infamy: 54
  • Late 15th cen. English Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: ArchonAlarion, DON'T_WAKE_GRANDPA, NASTY_TURTLE, UNARMED_CLASS_ DON'T_BAN_PLS, et al.
Re: Unsheathable weapons slot usage
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 03:43:13 am »
I agree. It would be nice if there were left and right hip slots and back slots. Maybe 2 slots on each hip and 3 back slots.

Light polearm - back, 2 slot
Medium polearm - back, 3 slot
Heavy/long polearms - UNSHEATHABLE
2h swords/light - back, 2 slot
2h heavy - back, 3 slot
Bastard weapons - hip/back, 2 slots
1h - hip/back, 1 slot
1h small - hip, free
short bows - back, 1 slot
Large bows - back, 2 slot
crossbows - back, 2 slot
heavy crossbows - back, 3 slot
light thrown - hip, 1 slot
heavy/long thrown - back, 1 slot
bolts ammo - hip, 1 slot
arrows ammo - hip/back, 1 slot
large quiver of bolts/arrows - back, 1 slot
bucklers - hip, 1 slot
shields - back, 1 slot
large shields - back, 2 slot
tower/board shields - back, 3 slot
pavise (if there ever was one) - UNSHEATHABLE
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 03:46:11 am by ArchonAlarion »

Offline MouthnHoof

• Noble
  • Renown: 14
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: MouthnHoof
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 10:23:18 am »
Nearly all polearms should be UN-sheathable. Velcro was not invented yet. Short ones (under 120) perhaps yes. This is the limitation of having a big powerful weapon. One of the greatest advantage of swords was that they were easy and safe to carry in a scabbard, unlike a long spear or a poleaxe. Elegant poleaxe, I am looking at you!

Since you have to keep them in hand, it may be reasonable to lower their slot requirement of unsheathable weapons to 1. It will not create melee/ranged hybrids since they have to start with the melee weapon in hand, not the opposite.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 11:27:04 am »
There are other places where you can stick your "poles"

Offline OzyTheSage

• Baron
  • Renown: 84
  • Infamy: 6
  • Om nom nom
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress
  • Game nicks: Ozymandias
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 11:32:42 am »

My pole is too big for that. Unless, of course, you're willing to "hold onto" it for me like that ;3

Offline MouthnHoof

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 01:52:43 pm »
hey hey! people in Poland have feelings too!

Offline Warcat

• Earl
  • Renown: 396
  • Infamy: 40
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Warcat_ Village_Elder Merchant_of_Tulga Tavern_Keeper Guild_Master Ramun_The_Slave_Trader
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 02:28:47 pm »
Personally I don't think long polarms should take up any slots if they can't actually be carried except by hand.
In memory of Fallen_Warcat_, member of Fallen Brigade, ruler of Zagush
Tavern_Keeper #1 NA shielder
Strategus City Improvement Project

Offline ArchonAlarion

• Baron
  • Renown: 98
  • Infamy: 54
  • Late 15th cen. English Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: ArchonAlarion, DON'T_WAKE_GRANDPA, NASTY_TURTLE, UNARMED_CLASS_ DON'T_BAN_PLS, et al.
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2011, 08:36:00 pm »
Nearly all polearms should be UN-sheathable. Velcro was not invented yet. Short ones (under 120) perhaps yes. This is the limitation of having a big powerful weapon. One of the greatest advantage of swords was that they were easy and safe to carry in a scabbard, unlike a long spear or a poleaxe. Elegant poleaxe, I am looking at you!

Since you have to keep them in hand, it may be reasonable to lower their slot requirement of unsheathable weapons to 1. It will not create melee/ranged hybrids since they have to start with the melee weapon in hand, not the opposite.

I agree, but unsheathable weapons really should not take any slots if slots represent sheathing spots on the body not in the hands

Offline La Makina

• Knight
  • Renown: 26
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player
  • Dedicated siege tower pusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2011, 05:37:57 pm »
Good point. If "unsheathed" weapons do not take any slot, the current slot requirements would need to be adjusted to keep it consistent: if one carries a flamberge or a (very) long pike in his hands, should he be able to pack a Xbow, 13 bolts, a shield and a sword in his pockets? Because the slot thing is more an appreciation of the overall encumbrance (size, shape and weight) of the complete equipment than an enumeration of free compartments.

Nearly all polearms should be UN-sheathable. Velcro was not invented yet. Short ones (under 120) perhaps yes.
Coherent. Or set a simple length limit (approx. 140) and apply it to all categories of weapon.

EDIT: Somewhat unrelated, but it would be nice if each slot represented your left, right, and back slots.
Would be cool for character design.

Offline Cris

• Baron
  • Renown: 121
  • Infamy: 23
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Merc_Cris, Cris, TestSubject
  • IRC nick: Cris
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2011, 05:44:31 pm »
It makes no sense, but as it is with arrow damage, it is done that way for the sake of game balance.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2011, 06:04:49 pm »
Is it possible to carry 2 or more unsheatable weapons at the same time ? If yes I think they should all be mutually exclusive (you can only bring one unsheatable weapon). Having their slot weight 0 without making sure you can't bring more than one would break them. Allowing you to bring a pike, a heavy lance, an awlpike and a long pike isn't really what was wanted in the first place.

Offline MouthnHoof

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2011, 08:10:09 pm »
Good point. If "unsheathed" weapons do not take any slot, the current slot requirements would need to be adjusted to keep it consistent: if one carries a flamberge or a (very) long pike in his hands, should he be able to pack a Xbow, 13 bolts, a shield and a sword in his pockets? Because the slot thing is more an appreciation of the overall encumbrance (size, shape and weight) of the complete equipment than an enumeration of free compartments.
I do not mind if they start with all that, but once they pull out a shield or the xbow or the sword, the flamberg will drop to the ground. If they player really insists he can pick it up once finished with shooting and move along. The important bit is that it is flamberg/polarm first, so he cannot run with a shield up then switch to it, or shoot/throw from close range and pull it out easily.