Author Topic: Polearms?  (Read 1119 times)

Offline SpaceCore

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: America
  • Game nicks: SpaceCore
Polearms?
« on: May 03, 2011, 01:15:52 am »
Hey, I want to use polearms but I don't even know where to start, I've been looking at all the polearms listed and the poleaxe looks pretty good, I'm probably wrong though and it's incredibly useless or something, anyway, are there any polearm builds? Or can I just use a 2H build and switch the 2H WPF with polearm WPF?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 01:17:56 am by SpaceCore »
SPACEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Offline Keshian

• King
  • Renown: 1176
  • Infamy: 992
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC (Bridgeburner, Unicorn, Cavalieres, Narwhal)
  • Game nicks: Red-haired bitch from hell
  • IRC nick: Bitch, pleasssse.
Re: Polearms?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 01:20:08 am »
The polearms tend to do more damage with longer range, and have more weapons that do pierce and blunt damage, which means you don't as much powerstrike as you do with the mostly cut weapon 2hers.  Balanced and agility builds work really well with polearms because of the range you often can hit without threat of getting hit back and because of the long weapons you also don't want to get into facehug scenarios with 1hers and short 2hers so having more athletics than a 2her build is useful for your footwork.  You can still always do well with a strength polearm build, but more than many classes balanced/agility builds work out well.
http://keshoxford.com/  - Where middle-eastern meets red-hot and spicy!

"[Strat 5]... war game my ass, tis more like a popularity contest"  Plumbo

Offline SpaceCore

• Beggar
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 01:49:51 am »
The polearms tend to do more damage with longer range, and have more weapons that do pierce and blunt damage, which means you don't as much powerstrike as you do with the mostly cut weapon 2hers.  Balanced and agility builds work really well with polearms because of the range you often can hit without threat of getting hit back and because of the long weapons you also don't want to get into facehug scenarios with 1hers and short 2hers so having more athletics than a 2her build is useful for your footwork.  You can still always do well with a strength polearm build, but more than many classes balanced/agility builds work out well.
Alright, thanks, I'll try one of those balanced builds and see how it goes.

P.S. Which polearm works the best with that build? Poleaxe? Long axe? Or can I use any of them?
SPACEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 01:54:13 am »
I love the pole axe for 1 v 1 fighting.

if you are rolling with a team of players, Pike/bamboo spear/long awlpike/ English bill, and similar two-directional weapons really excel as support weapons that get crazy amounts of kills and only get better the more are in a cluster.
However, they are not very good in 1 v 1 since they only stab and overhead.
I'm a pikeman. I duel and solo with a pole axe.
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline SpaceCore

• Beggar
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 01:58:08 am »
I love the pole axe for 1 v 1 fighting.

if you are rolling with a team of players, Pike/bamboo spear/long awlpike/ English bill, and similar two-directional weapons really excel as support weapons that get crazy amounts of kills and only get better the more are in a cluster.
However, they are not very good in 1 v 1 since they only stab and overhead.
I'm a pikeman. I duel and solo with a pole axe.
Alright, I'll try out one of those, thanks for the advice. :)
SPACEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Offline Murchad

• Noble
  • Renown: 24
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 06:45:24 pm »
Spacecore, there are tons of awsome polearms. if you are new i would recommend using some relatively cheap gear to start and when you save up lots of money start branching out trying different polearms.
I have tried polearms from the scythe up to the top and had loads of fun doing it.
don't get stuck on just one that leads to burnout and frustration if it gets nerfed later.
thing with polearms is you can use the same balanced build and just switching weapons will completely change the feel of your char.  I think that is why i have rolled polearms many more times than 2h

-edit
atm on my alt i have been using the scythe. it was buffed up to 25cut dmg this patch and with over 180 range it is a good support weapon. i mostly use overhead when with teammates to get headshots and stun enemies, and when alone use combination of attacks, the HUGE sweeping attack being what makes it a decent weapon.  your attacks are very slow so it is easy to block but many people underestimate its range. actually they underestimate everything about it because it a peasant weapon.  i'm not saying it is a great weapon but i have been over 1:1 with it  every time I have used it so i'm just making the point that you can do well and have fun with pretty much any weapon in the game.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 06:52:03 pm by Murchad »