Author Topic: A way to make the game FUN for new players?  (Read 1861 times)

Offline gagewins

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • I Win
    • View Profile
A way to make the game FUN for new players?
« on: May 02, 2011, 10:44:33 pm »
I just bought this game thew steam a few days ago because it was on sale, and i liked the concept c-rpg had to bring to the game, and I've put 7 hours of gameplay into this game so far 6 of it on c-rpg, and I realize you have to grind up to get good at this game, but its no fun being new and getting one shoted by everyone.... I only have 2 kills total during that 6 hours of time i spent on c-rpg, and they were just luck...

I just think if anyone has any ideas to help this game be fun to new players like me that would be grate, because its no fun hearing from everyone "just hide behind a bigger guy if you can and try to take a lucky shot" Thats no skill and no fun...

How else is this game going to attract more people? How can c-rpg expect to grow if all new players dont have a chance at anything and have to put in long hours to even have a chance?

The only thing i can think to help this problem would be to have a server specific for new players, so the playing field is a little more balanced...

Thank you for your time, and i accept all helpful/positive criticism!

Offline Tzar

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 564
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_TzarOfRushYa
  • IRC nick: TZAR
Re: A way to make the game FUN for new players?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 10:48:07 pm »
TBH c-RPG has never been anymore noob friendly then in its current state i cant understand what misslead you to think its tuff to be new here..
I've never played a server where people split up as much or as often as on EU1.  No wonder range is having a field day.

Offline Duerkos

• Peasant
  • Renown: 5
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Basileia ton Romaion
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Duerkos
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 11:24:47 pm »
Try the siege servers, there are lots of newbies there. When you hit level 20 or 15 you are more or less set up (unless you are trying an archer, possibly), the big problem with this game is skill, not levels. And I think that's not going to change.

If you think the skill-level together are too much to overcome, try other warband mods to get experience on how to block, etc.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 11:29:49 pm by Duerkos »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline gagewins

• Beggar
  • cRPG Player
  • I Win
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 11:31:30 pm »
I only have been playing on the siege servers, and i did first try archer which i noticed failed quite a bit, so as soon as i hit 15, I retired and now I'm re-leveling up going as sword and shield and researched a good build for it, just so i don't get 1 shot by archers when i spawn >.>

Also its hard to get in a fight with noob vs noob because like i said, you get 1 shoted by everyone else, so by the time you find and reach each other, there is another guy there that one shots you or an archer with a crossbow gets you.

Also I have done the other game modes/single player to learn how everything works, but when I come across a high lvl guy, his weapon speed and ability to 1 shot me overcomes my blocking ability, sometimes I am able to block 2-3 shots, but thats all i can do is block, because if i take the time to retaliate, their weapon speed overcomes mine, and they one shot me compared to the 8+ shots it takes for me to kill them.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 11:33:55 pm by gagewins »

Offline OoberNoob

• Peasant
  • Renown: 3
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lost Legion
  • Game nicks: LL_OoberNoob
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 06:52:06 am »
Ive seen threads that mention starting new players off at lvl 10 or 15 for the first gen so that they dont get so discouraged when they first start off and I kinda agree with that except then I remember back to my first match.

I started off and 3 steps into the game i get 1 shot by an xbow, the beginning of the next round i scanned the crowd for the biggest most bad-ass teammate i could find and i followed him around for the rest of the map. 

Now you can level up to 15 in an hour or so of playing where used to it took days if you were new and or sucked.  And while being a higher level wont automatically give you the ability to beat some of the big guys, usually it gives you enough health and heavy enough armor to survive the first few hits so you can learn and correct your mistakes.

If all else fails just get on a duel server for a few hours, you'll learn the basics real quick.  It took me over 9 months to figure that out.  :oops:

Offline La Makina

• Knight
  • Renown: 26
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player
  • Dedicated siege tower pusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 11:28:27 am »
Thing is that c-RPG tends to be for an elite: designed by experienced players for experienced players. Elitist yes, but also open. So, first of all, welcome!

When I started I would have liked to play on "peasants only" server but I doubt that someone would ever make a server just for this.

If you are motivated by the adventure, I would strongly advise spending some time on the tutorial first. That may be one of the rare games in which you need to pass through the tutorial because there are basic things that are difficult to learn (I am thinking of manual blocking in particular). Get used to fight with the bots of the tutorial, they give you the opportunity to learn basic technics, sharpen your reflexes, try things... It is a very good start IMO.

I won't lie to you: as a beginner and with a character from level 1 to 20, you will have hard times in c-RPG. Don't give up because the game has a well-thought learning scale. Be sure that you will progress fast.

A friend of mine has recently joined the game (and cRPG). I thought he will give up fast because he was just getting killed on and on but he kept on playing and now he scores decently and is having good fun.

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 04:56:46 pm »
I've had the game less than a month and am 1/2 way thru my 3rd generation.

If you havent played native extensively dont expect to even come close to breaking even with your KDR.  It takes time to learn the timing of weapons and their attacks.  There isnt really any other mentionable melee-centric games out there, so its very different and has a good learning curve.

Best advice I can give a new player is shield + 1h.  Help box in or rope-a-dope enemies so your allies can kill them for you.  If they turn their attention off you, take a swipe at them.  Do not walk around chambered or you will be killed easily since you arent a great judge of weapon ranges/speeds.

I probably got less than 10 kills total my first generation, but prob had 250+ assists.  Boxing people in really does help your allies immensely.  I enjoy playing the underdog and had fun being the little harmless peasant that was the deciding factor in taking down the killing spree tincan guy for my team.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 04:59:15 pm by Digglez »

Offline IG_Saint

• Count
  • Renown: 196
  • Infamy: 20
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: IG
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2011, 07:05:27 pm »
(click to show/hide)

The learning curve is pretty steep for warband and even more so for c-rpg. levels, stats and weapons are nowhere near as important as skill. The only way to get that skill is to play. A lot.

Offline gagewins

• Beggar
  • cRPG Player
  • I Win
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2011, 07:51:09 pm »
If you are motivated by the adventure, I would strongly advise spending some time on the tutorial first. That may be one of the rare games in which you need to pass through the tutorial because there are basic things that are difficult to learn (I am thinking of manual blocking in particular). Get used to fight with the bots of the tutorial, they give you the opportunity to learn basic technics, sharpen your reflexes, try things... It is a very good start IMO.

I won't lie to you: as a beginner and with a character from level 1 to 20, you will have hard times in c-RPG. Don't give up because the game has a well-thought learning scale. Be sure that you will progress fast.

A friend of mine has recently joined the game (and cRPG). I thought he will give up fast because he was just getting killed on and on but he kept on playing and now he scores decently and is having good fun.

First off, thank all you guys for your feedback, After making this post I did go play on Native with a bunch of people with about the same gear as me and that was an eye opener on how much skill this game really does take  :lol: also before even going into multi-player i did complete the entire tutorial, I've been playing RPG's for a little over 9 years now, and I got this game just because of how different it was compared to others such as WoW, Diablo, and more, This game just has a uniqueness to it that will take it a long way!

Offline Dexxtaa

• King
  • Renown: 1268
  • Infamy: 200
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Remnant_Dexxtaa
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2011, 08:23:58 pm »
Thing about cRPG is that you gotta play smart.

I've seen far too many peasants run in at the first opportunity with their arena shields and pitchforks hoping to whiff me to death. For the most part, I ignore them, but sometimes I get caught up in the battle and dismantle the poor guy.

Offline Duerkos

• Peasant
  • Renown: 5
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Basileia ton Romaion
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Duerkos
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2011, 12:27:30 am »
Try to play support, you'll never want to be the first guy going for battle. Try to circle the opponent (if he's fighting against a teammate) and annoy him/kill him. Playing with a pike is very useful and awesome. If he tries to kill you, you will have more time to block (since he has to change direction) and the guy he was fighting will probably pick him off from behind.

But you'll have to learn some blocking/attacking skills sometime, my advice would be to either be a one shield+fast sword (youll learn timing attacks and such, very important) and then move to "hard" weapons like polearms and 2h swords, where blocking is a must.

That's what I should have done, instead I done it wrong. My first character was archer, didnt like it (it depends a lot of on stats), then moved to 2h and sucked a lot, and now I'm cavalry/pike player, going for support.

After your first generation you won't be the guy on the top scores, but you won't be at the bottom. Keep playing!  :)

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2011, 01:08:40 am »
Your problem is that the game takes a certain amount of skill best learned in the single player arena first. While I didnt finish the single player campaign, without the time I spent there, my first experience with multi-player and cRPG would have been frustrating as well, Im sure.

Remember, you need a skill foundation before you can jump into the ring  :wink:
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

Offline Whalen207

• Noble
  • Renown: 11
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
  • If I see that fucking pickle one more time...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: [Guard_Whalen207 [Guard_Whale_Tosser [Guard_Whale_Tank [Guard_Whale_ArrowSpam
  • IRC nick: Whalen
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2011, 01:37:25 am »
and now I'm cavalry/pike player, going for support.

What? How? That's a retarded build.
You'd have to put points in Athletics for the pikeman, which is useless for the Cavalryman.
Arma 2, Mount and Blade, Garry's Mod and Coloholics Roleplayer, Coder, Mapmaker and Moderator.

Offline Tydeus

• King
  • Renown: 1422
  • Infamy: 351
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Item re-unbalance guy
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tydeus
  • IRC nick: Tydeus
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2011, 04:26:05 am »
If you're below level 25 and you're new to this game and gen 1, my suggestion is to just buy a pike and get at least 5 athletics. Just jump around and evade the hell out of people while supporting your team with the pike. Granted this isn't so effective on siege, you can still win entire rounds on battle simply because of pike support.
chadz> i wouldnt mind seeing some penis on my character

Offline Rannepear

• Noble
  • Renown: 16
  • Infamy: 7
  • cRPG Player
  • 我叫阿杰
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rannepear
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2011, 05:43:49 am »
There is a steep learning curve, but the game is still fun and even as a newbie you level up the same as everyone else. Just how it is. You will get owned in Native too as a noobie.