• Infamy: 264
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • SODOM Shaman
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Dracul / Raven / SODOMY
  • Game nicks: Artyem
Re: Civ V
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2013, 12:00:17 am »
I dunno, with the right mods I guess Civ V just becomes more of a real strategy game and less of a board game.  Which of course, is one of the reasons I loved every Civ game, but it's a nice change and I don't feel disappointed at all with it.

Pssshh, if you played Civilization for the MP experience, you're doing it wrong.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sordida asinum latronibus sumus

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2013, 12:30:23 am »
+3
Pssshh, if you played Civilization for the MP experience, you're doing it wrong.

The SP part has even bigger problems, with AI obviously unable to do anything with 1UPT and being complete lunatics when it comes to diplomacy. Also note their lack of understanding of game mechanics. They just don't play to win. That may be the precise reason you don't really realise the game isn't well balanced when playing SP.

Actually I almost prefer Civ 4 graphics because all terrains really look 3D. In civ 5 everything but units, buildings and mountains seems to be painted on flat ground. Also dezooming to planet mode is awesome. I understand their intent with the music, trying to put all the tracks everybody loved (mainly the renaissance and industrial ones) on loop from start to finish, but this lacks the charm and magic of changing music with the eras. I for one came to eagerly wait when closing on modern era because of John Adams. Same thing with leader music, although that's unfair because leader musics in Civ 5 are really really good.

Offline Artyem

• King
  • Renown: 1218
  • SODOM Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2013, 12:55:35 am »
The SP part has even bigger problems, with AI obviously unable to do anything with 1UPT and being complete lunatics when it comes to diplomacy. Also note their lack of understanding of game mechanics. They just don't play to win. That may be the precise reason you don't really realise the game isn't well balanced when playing SP.

I've never had a problem with the AI, sometimes they conquer and other times they don't.  I thought they were far more insane in Civ IV, constant back and forth bullshit.  The only issue with Civ V is that it seems like even a defensive war will get you pinned as a war monger by the AI.  Regardless, maybe it's the difficulty changes that got you, but with Gods and Kings I really can't find an issue with the game.

I don't really care about the graphics, and that's pretty much been the case with every game, so I can't really say anything there.  I use the R.E.D pack which gives each nation ethnic and unique unit textures while scaling the size down to make it feel a bit more 'realistic', if that can even be a term associated with a Civilization game lol.

I guess it's personal preference, I loved all of the previous games, but I really enjoy Civ V beyond the others and I can't wait to get my hands on the next expansion.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2013, 09:50:44 pm »
Turn on Random Personalities if you play by yourself, it's much better than having almost all "peaceful" civs. 

I really like Civ V, I really only like playing SP (MP games take forever), I mainly play when I'm waiting to spawn in crpg battle mode.  Also, if you haven't seen it recently, during NA evenings on a weekend (like this last Saturday), there was a massive list of MP game lobbies.  When I put up 6 or 8 man games, they were filling up in under a minute. 
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Everkistus

• Marshall
  • Renown: 987
  • Infamy: 108
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • No good deed goes unpunished
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Everkistus
  • IRC nick: Everkistus
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2013, 09:49:27 am »
+2
Bump for playing Civ 5 till 4 in the morning. 'tis a good game.

Offline War_Ferret

• Count
  • Renown: 182
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2013, 10:29:10 am »
+1
I don't know exactly why, but I never really got into Civ5. I played all the Civs before, especially 3&4. I guess, Civ5 was the first that didn't really feel like an improvement to me. IMO Civ4 is still the best in the franchise.

Offline korppis

• Earl
  • Renown: 404
  • Infamy: 51
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ninja
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2013, 10:35:30 am »
+1
Bleh, Civ 5 was (still is) the biggest disappointment in a long, long time.
I wonder how they managed to completely break the AI for MP games. Still they made expansions instead of fixing that huge problem. For those of us who don't like SP games and want to fill free slots with AI, Civ 4 BtS is still the only good option.

Offline korppis

• Earl
  • Renown: 404
  • Infamy: 51
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ninja
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2013, 10:44:29 am »
+1
I don't know exactly why, but I never really got into Civ5. I played all the Civs before, especially 3&4. I guess, Civ5 was the first that didn't really feel like an improvement to me. IMO Civ4 is still the best in the franchise.

I'd consider the new combat system as a big improvement. The old unit stacking was horrible, and very unbalanced. Also in Civ 5 it actually matters if you have more sources of same resource, which is nice.

But personally I still prefer AoW way of combat, where you can stack units on map (call it an army or whatever), but combats are fought in separate, more strategic view.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2013, 04:20:44 pm »
+1
I love Civ 5 and think it's light years better than Civ 4.   There's been massive improvements to the game, and you can download lots of mods to tweak your experience.  I still think the vanilla version is an amazing game. 
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Artyem

• King
  • Renown: 1218
  • SODOM Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2013, 10:43:51 pm »
+1
I love Civ 5 and think it's light years better than Civ 4.   There's been massive improvements to the game, and you can download lots of mods to tweak your experience.  I still think the vanilla version is an amazing game.

Get the RED pack, it makes the game so much better to look at.