Author Topic: How to play archer?  (Read 2036 times)

Offline Tomeusz

• Junk Thread Creator
  • Count
  • Renown: 172
  • Infamy: 165
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
How to play archer?
« on: April 16, 2013, 05:46:58 pm »
+3
Hi!
I havent played for a while as archer and now when i try it up it seems like extremly nerfed since i played it before, but dont know if any changes was made. So i decided to make an swift archer with medium armor.

My build is:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I dont manage to play it well. I have 30 lvl with 1:3.9 stats(167/646). I try every possible bow, arrows, sec weapon, still same result. Its not accurate ad targets many times dodge. If i hit a target it takes 3-5 shots to kill it even  with PD6, tatar arrows and Yumi bow. Have 22 body armor, but always get 1 shoted by well armored crossbowmans. Cav also crash me easly, because it takes 1 swing for cav to kill me while i have to hit their horse 3-10 times(depends on horse armor). I know that archer is supportiv class, but due of low accuary and low dmg its bad supporter for me, becase 2 hander can kill and deal more dmg per battle before he dies. Previously was easier to play archer, because he got agility with ability to sprint. Now its just slowly walking free frag in my opinion. Trying to still play it, but dont enyoing it so much. ending almoist every battle with 0-5 and dealing little dmg is wrong. Probably iam doing something wrong, but if I do pls explain me what.

Thanks;)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 05:50:44 pm by Tomeusz »

Offline Arrowblood

• Duke
  • Renown: 508
  • Infamy: 112
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Arrowblood
Re: How to play archer?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 06:14:59 pm »
+3
Try to put the points into archery instead of 2hand :wink:.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 06:27:07 pm »
I'm guessing he has all his points into archery, not 2h (like the picture shows).

Tom can you confirm that you have your WPF in archery, not 2h (like your picture shows)?
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Penitent

• King
  • Renown: 1389
  • Infamy: 220
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Penitent_Turtler
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 06:57:26 pm »
+1
You have to use bodkins, and a rus bow or long bow.  Even then, it will still take 4 shots to kill someone, and you have to get lucky or practice a LOT with aiming to land most of your shots.

Unfortunately, you really have to have +3 bodkins and a +3 bow to do anything good...and even then its hard to do well.

It's been nerfed so bad that you have virtually no choice in weapons and even if you do everything right its still not so good.  It can still be fun though! :)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 07:00:33 pm by Garison »

Offline Tomeusz

• Junk Thread Creator
  • Count
  • Renown: 172
  • Infamy: 165
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 07:45:34 pm »
I have those points at archery, not 2h;). At the moment its like 150 archery and 51 1 handed. Now iam trying nomad bow. Missle speed and accuary is almost the same as rus bow, higher speed rating, but its way cheaper to upkeep and higher dmg= less accuary. Bodkins cost much, do pierce dmg and its only better for heavy armored targets(same as blunt). Also +4 cut for tatar compensate dmg difference between nomad and rus bow.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 07:56:43 pm by Tomeusz »

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • Renown: 859
  • Infamy: 198
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2013, 07:51:48 pm »
His problem is with the playstyle not his build.

I had the same problem and therefore looking forward for a proper answer.
Quote from: BlindGuy
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

My UU key is broken incase you can't tell :D

Offline Penitent

• King
  • Renown: 1389
  • Infamy: 220
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Penitent_Turtler
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2013, 08:02:05 pm »
I have those points at archery, not 2h;). At the moment its like 150 archery and 51 1 handed. Now iam trying nomad bow. Missle speed and accuary is almost the same as rus bow, higher speed rating, but its way cheaper to upkeep and higher dmg= less accuary. Bodkins cost much, do pierce dmg and its only better for heavy armored targets(same as blunt). Also +4 cut for tatar compensate dmg difference between nomad and rus bow.

Alright man, go you own way then. :)  If you want to be a bit more lethal though, try my advice for switching your equipment.

Offline jtobiasm

• Duke
  • Renown: 567
  • Infamy: 328
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Tobi
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2013, 08:08:16 pm »
Once you know how to aim and you're used to your bow/build. It's all about awareness/game sense. Watch people like Robinhoob or bagge(nub) they have great awareness which is my worst part in archery. Maybe that's yours too. All I can say is watch good archers and look how they play. Only way to get better is to practice ;D   

Offline Lennu

• Marshall
  • Renown: 774
  • Infamy: 94
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Lennu
  • IRC nick: Lennu_
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2013, 08:13:05 pm »
+2
Well, IMO only Rus bow and Long Bow have enough damage. Hornbow maybe if you can get enough headshots.

Some players are really good with long shots. But I think it needs at least 8wm + full wpf focus on archery to pay off.
I personally like to get as close as possible to the melee fight, aim roughly at the head's height and just start pew pew'ing  :lol:  It has it's risks, but higher hit rate + almost certain kill from a headshot makes it pay off quite well. But good awereness is needed. I turn around at least every 2nd shot to make sure no one is sneaking behind me + if your team gets overrun you're pretty much dead as an archer as well, unless you can see that coming and retreat fast enough. Besides, scoring 5 headshots in a row can pretty much determine the outcome of that fight. It is usually the best to get on the side of the melee fight, so you can shoot around shields and even if you miss you have better chance to get a lucky on some other enemy behind your actual target  :wink:  Also hiding directly behind your own melee blob can prove useful if you can get a slightly higher place to stand on, a rock for exemple. Just aim slightly over your teammates head's, and you will hit the enemy in the face :wink:

Also, don't be afraid to use your sword. With decent blocking you might surprise your enemy who thought you would be an easy kill. Just block until a teammate comes and saves you ( you can actually set a trap for some silly enemy players who are away from their team). Or if you see your teammate is in trouble, switch to your sword, stab the enemy in the back and get some distance again. Short arming sword has 29 pierce unloomed, so it does hurt even with 3ps.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 08:18:41 pm by Lennu »

Offline Algarn

• King
  • Renown: 1230
  • Infamy: 268
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Algarn, Jorick
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2013, 11:21:49 pm »
Longbow is the best bow : you don't care to shoot in head or in the armor, both are lethal   :)

for example, a foe who wears a rus scale armor will get killed in 3/4 arrows in the body, 3 if you have a +3 longbow. Rus bow is good for begin archery , that's simple to man, less expensive, more fast , but that deal less damages to heavies targets. Both are good , just make your choice , but keep at lest 40 wpf for 1handed weaps and 4 PS to be decent in melee. Good luck, Tomeuz !  :)

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2013, 11:24:38 pm »
Lennu what bow do you use, horn bow?  wasn't clear from your post
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Algarn

• King
  • Renown: 1230
  • Infamy: 268
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Algarn, Jorick
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2013, 11:28:38 pm »
Arrowblood , what level and how many wpf in archery too be really effective ? Can I take 165 in bow and 70 in 1 handed ?

Offline jtobiasm

• Duke
  • Renown: 567
  • Infamy: 328
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tobi
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2013, 12:29:11 am »
+1
Lennu what bow do you use, horn bow?  wasn't clear from your post
He uses a rus bow!

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • Renown: 2174
  • Infamy: 227
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WITCHCRAFT, A_Hot_Elf_Princess, Yurnero_of_the_High_Plains, and secret alts
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2013, 02:42:30 am »
Part of your trouble hitting targets may be the fact that you use a yumi. Different bows change the speed that the arrow goes through the air. Yumi has one of the slowest. You can draw and release the arrow faster than with a rus bow or long bow, but the arrow moves through the air at a lower speed. This makes it easier (but still difficult) for people to dodge an incoming arrow. It also makes it much more difficult to aim your shots. You need to aim further ahead and if your target changes course the shot is going to miss.

Tatar arrows are cheaper and you get more of them, but unlike bodkins you need to choose your targets wisely. A bodkin archer can fire at any enemy and do some damage. With other arrows, you need to pick out targets that have weaker armor (or horses, those things are worth tons of points too!).

I Can't see the image that shows your build, so I can't comment on that. If you have any other specific questions I'd be glad to help.

irl something shorted on the shuttle and laika overheated and died within a few hours of liftoff and for a brief while one could look up to the stars and see a light shooting across the sky that was actually a warm dog corpse slingshoting about the earth at thousands of miles per hour which was arguably humanity's greatest achievement so far

Offline Templar_Steevee

• Duke
  • Renown: 613
  • Infamy: 128
  • cRPG Player
  • Pew-pew for victory!!!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Steevee, Templar_catchArabbit, Gangtroll
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2013, 02:56:52 pm »
+1
IMO there are only 3 bows you should focus: Horn, rus and long bow. Yumi is good for HA.
At present Most important thing for archers is positioning. Always choose places that can give you some advantage.
Staying in open field is a suecide if cav is somewhere around.
About arrows: IMO bodkin arrows is the only good choice. Most ppl are running around in preety heavy armour, co using cut dmg arrows is a waste of time, because enen with MW longbow and MW Bodkins there are still ppl that can survive headshots. For me there is no more frustrating thng than someone survive a headshot.

Awearness is really important too. If you are not aware, you are dead.

Choosing targets is probably most important thing. You should remember: worst enemy if you are ranged is other ranged. So shoot them down every single time if you can.

Archer forever :D