Author Topic: War Spear length false?  (Read 583 times)

Offline Testicleez

• Duke
  • Renown: 619
  • Infamy: 33
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Testicleez
War Spear length false?
« on: April 13, 2013, 10:33:37 pm »
+1
The weapon length of the War Spear is 150, and ever since I started using it I felt like it's length wasn't really that much. I've complained in Teamspeak about getting "out-ranged" by shorter 2H's, but they wouldn't believe me. So I decided to test it out against a Longsword (106 length) in a duel server.

I'm not sure if this is how it's "supposed to be" for some reason, but I figured I'd ask instead of continuing complaining about it.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 10:40:44 pm by TheSexinator »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Pentecost

• Earl
  • Renown: 313
  • Infamy: 32
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: War Spear length false?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2013, 11:08:46 pm »
The listed weapon lengths on the site measures the length of the weapon model itself, not the actual effective reach of the weapon in combat. The actual effective reach of the weapon is determined by the class of the weapon, its attack animations, and how it is actually being held by your character. Generally speaking, when comparing weapons from different classes with the same listed weapon lengths (ie a 100 length 2h, 100 length polearm, and 100 length 1h), the 2h will outreach the polearm on all attacks except for the polearm right swing (and maybe the overhead), while the polearm will outreach the 1h on all attacks except for maybe the 1h right swing.

As for how this specifically relates to your video, look at how the War Spear itself is gripped. Even if it is 150 weapon length, the fact that your character holds it near its middle means that its actual effective reach when swung is going to be far less than that. Add to this how all 2h swords are held near the end of their weapon models on top of having the best attack animations overall (the 2h thrust gives the greatest reach bonus in the game of any melee attack), and it's not really surprising that you were outreached there.

Offline Testicleez

• Duke
  • Renown: 619
  • Infamy: 33
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Testicleez
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2013, 11:11:27 pm »
The listed weapon lengths on the site measures the length of the weapon model itself, not the actual effective reach of the weapon in combat. The actual effective reach of the weapon is determined by the class of the weapon, its attack animations, and how it is actually being held by your character. Generally speaking, when comparing weapons from different classes with the same listed weapon lengths (ie a 100 length 2h, 100 length polearm, and 100 length 1h), the 2h will outreach the polearm on all attacks except for the polearm right swing (and maybe the overhead), while the polearm will outreach the 1h on all attacks except for maybe the 1h right swing.

As for how this specifically relates to your video, look at how the War Spear itself is gripped. Even if it is 150 weapon length, the fact that your character holds it near its middle means that its actual effective reach when swung is going to be far less than that. Add to this how all 2h swords are held near the end of their weapon models on top of having the best attack animations overall (the 2h thrust gives the greatest reach bonus in the game of any melee attack), and it's not really surprising that you were outreached there.

Alrighty, thanks. That was something I was thinking about also, but wasn't sure.

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2013, 01:25:08 am »
If you'd tested with any other attacking direction than the thrust, you would've outreached his longsword. The 2h stab adds a lot to the weapon's length, while, if I remember correctly from previously posted numbers, the polearm stab is the animation that adds the least length to any melee attacking direction in the game at 0 added length.
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline Grumbs

• طالبان
  • King
  • Renown: 1170
  • Infamy: 617
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2013, 01:42:38 am »
Not only that, the end of the animation is more likely to glance than 2 handers, so its not just the physical animation that matters
If you have ranged troubles use this: