Author Topic: Where art thou admins?  (Read 2953 times)

Offline DUKE DICKBUTT

• Baron
  • Renown: 138
  • Infamy: 119
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Where art thou admins?
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2013, 01:13:34 am »
Look through the forums for hom many ban requests I have made. I believe it was one, like 2 years ago. Ask an admin to look up my ban history. As far as I know its 0.  I dont like people gettimg banned unless it is cut and dry. I have talked to admins about how dumb the ban request forum is, especially third party ban requests. Yes some people need a time out, but I dont agree with a lot of the bans that take place. If an admin would have said attackers stand still while they break the seige tower, I would be fine with that other then the clock loss. Yes maybe there shoyld have been some pink text but its hard to moderate things like that.

But you see, the defenders in said situation were the offending party, and should be responsible for destroying the construct.  They will most likely take a few more losses during the reasonable period of time they have to break it, but that is their punishment for building it in the first place.  The attacking team did not break any rules, and should not have to wait.  You see, it is accountability of both the players and the admins I am asking for her.  I am suggesting an escalating series of actions that the admins should take, starting with a general warning and outlining a reasonable amount of time to take corrective action. This series of actions should, however, become abbreviated with repeat offenders.

If you "mistakenly" build on flags in five battles in a row, there's no reason you shouldn't be banned for at least some period of time.  And again, it's impossible to prove intent on the confines of the internet, unless they use text chat to blatantly admit they are doing something wrong.

Offline oprah_winfrey

• Marshall
  • Renown: 808
  • Infamy: 196
  • cRPG Player
  • Now look under your seat...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: JABONRA
  • Game nicks: Egan
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2013, 01:19:14 am »
+2
So if hospitaller didnt break their seige tower and effectivly forfeit the battle because they arent fightomg, you suggest banning them all? Yeah sounds fair.

Offline Artyem

• King
  • Renown: 1218
  • Infamy: 264
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • SODOM Shaman
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Dracul / Raven / SODOMY
  • Game nicks: Artyem
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2013, 01:43:28 am »
+5
The issue is that you don't know exactly who built it, and unless someone fesses up or there's some evidence, no one can really be punished for it.  You can't just ban the Hospitaller leaders for it, and you can't just ban the entire team for it, the only thing that can be done is prevent it from happening again in the future.

This whole discussion is silly and to everybody arguing about people being banned: please, calm the fuck down.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 04:04:47 am by Artyem »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sordida asinum latronibus sumus

Offline Matey

• King
  • Renown: 1327
  • Infamy: 372
  • cRPG Player
  • A Pirate
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Matey_BRD
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2013, 02:53:52 am »
+2
The issue is that you don't know exactly who built it, and unless someone fesses up or there's some evidence, no one can really be punished for it.  You can't just ban the Hospitaller leaders for it, and you can't just ban the entire team for it, the only thing that can be done is prevent it from happening again in the future.

This whole discussion is silly and everybody arguing about people being banned, please calm the fuck down.

Pretty much this. But I think this is what is being asked for in general; not to go back and find people to ban cause of past shit, but to try to prevent it from happening again and punishing people if it does keep happening.

Offline DUKE DICKBUTT

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2013, 05:48:54 am »
So if hospitaller didnt break their seige tower and effectivly forfeit the battle because they arent fightomg, you suggest banning them all? Yeah sounds fair.

Why do you keep saying banning them all?  Just stop, Smooth Jr.

Look through the forums for hom many ban requests I have made. I believe it was one, like 2 years ago. Ask an admin to look up my ban history. As far as I know its 0.  I dont like people gettimg banned unless it is cut and dry. I have talked to admins about how dumb the ban request forum is, especially third party ban requests. Yes some people need a time out, but I dont agree with a lot of the bans that take place. If an admin would have said attackers stand still while they break the seige tower, I would be fine with that other then the clock loss. Yes maybe there shoyld have been some pink text but its hard to moderate things like that.

It's not hard to moderate it it all.  When you die in Strat, you can just unclick the ready to spawn box and go look at whatever you want.  Throw some show names cheat on, and you can even assign the people nearest the offending object to destroy it.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 05:52:42 am by DUKE DICKBUTT »

Offline Duster

• Marshall
  • Renown: 730
  • Infamy: 89
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Mr_Pibb, Mellow_Yellowtf
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2013, 06:11:30 am »
+1
Say I sign up for FCC and feel like doing a little trolling, so when the battle gets going I wait until nobody's at the flags and throw down some csites. Team FCC gets warned not to do it anymore, they break it, and the battle goes on. I wait until everything's died down, everyone is refocused on the battle, and I throw down more garbage on the flags. Kesh gets banned for being the commander, even though he has no real control over what I do.

Trolls win.  :lol:

Offline Matey

• King
  • Renown: 1327
  • Infamy: 372
  • cRPG Player
  • A Pirate
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Matey_BRD
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2013, 06:22:17 am »
+1
Say I sign up for FCC and feel like doing a little trolling, so when the battle gets going I wait until nobody's at the flags and throw down some csites. Team FCC gets warned not to do it anymore, they break it, and the battle goes on. I wait until everything's died down, everyone is refocused on the battle, and I throw down more garbage on the flags. Kesh gets banned for being the commander, even though he has no real control over what I do.

pretty sure youd get a pretty epic ban if anyone saw you doing it, which someone prolly would considering how many people are around and how obvious it is when someone has a c-site in their hands and considering (at least on FCC side) only certain people are ever supposed to spawn with c-sites.

Offline BaleOhay

• Marshall
  • Renown: 789
  • Infamy: 229
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BS
« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2013, 06:32:38 am »
+1
On one of the defenses I ran the other day someone mentioned a ladder was on our flags. I personally left the shield wall and went back to make sure the flags were clear and no one was screwing around.

I would expect the same from the field commanders on the opp team. It takes a long time to build a siege tower and it is not all that hard to know if it will be over the flags or not when it pops up.

We also pop a tower in each of our defense fights, saves a lot of complaining if you just take a couple of seconds to place it away from them.
Leader of BS

Offline DUKE DICKBUTT

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2013, 06:48:25 am »
+1

Not really.  Yes, it would be annoying and we would have to break the shit, but that is our responsibility for hiring you.  We can all see you do it, you would never get hired again.  You would get warned initially, we would report it in admin chat if there was an admin on, you'd get screen shotted and ban threaded.  You would then be forced, at gun point, to show up to and merc for every Hospitaller battle on their depression bandwagon to doom.

Also, if Kesh was present and the admin said "Kesh, I am holding you personally responsible for breaking the offending equipment," he would just fucking do it.

Offline Canary

• Marshall
  • Renown: 826
  • Infamy: 202
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2013, 07:09:34 am »
+5
And no one is saying ban the entire team. Issue a warning and tell the offending team to break the offending object.  Wait one minute.  If no one listens, tell them its now first priority.  Threaten to kick or ban the commander of the battle, probably by clan, if not by actual party owner, if he does not personally do it.  It should be the entire team's responsibility to play fairly, but if no one is responsive, then make the parties with ownership responsible.

I think you're putting too much emphasis on pinning responsibility on someone. 'Someone' as in anyone at all. I, for one, am not in the habit of punishing people for something they are not responsible for, and I would hope that the other admins do their best to refrain from doing that as well. It would be rather unfortunate if the parties responsible for hiring mercenaries and leading battles were also directly liable for the actions of every single merc fighting on their side.

I mean, all I am really looking for is some pink text and some follow through.  Mistakes happen, but they seem to keep happening to certain parties more than others.  Clans who are mindful of the rules are getting screwed the worst, when it should be the other way around.  Bring on some flying carpets.  Keep people in check.

I feel as though there is a general lack of understanding about the systems in place (gameplay systems as well as rules applying to strat battles). More diligence is necessary, certainly, and being vocal about the rules (as admins) is never a bad thing, but it sounds as though you are suggesting punishment for its own sake, under the notion that it will "keep people in check"? I feel things haven't gotten that drastically bad.

You also act like bans aren't an every day thing.  What we have is a bullshit system that plays favorites.  In fact, its devolved into a meta game of seeing who can get who banned.  Look at shit like this:
http://forum.meleegaming.com/na-%28official%29/ban-request-47843/
http://forum.meleegaming.com/na-(official)/unban-request-zeenerd/

Everyone wants to see what they can get away with.  See who I can trick into hitting me more times, so they get banned.  See which admins are their friends and will watch out for them.  See which admins will shorten a ban behind another admin's back.  Unfortunately, in my opinion, that's spreading into Strategus.

I think you're perceiving things in a slightly skewed way. The part about people testing the limits of what they can get away with may be a reality, but the rest? The system playing favorites, admins watching out for their friends, and the fact that that is spreading into strategus? It's a matter of witnessing problems more than dealing with them, from my experience. More to the point: I have never seen a ban shortened by another admin without prior consultation, not only is that not condoned, it's entirely against our protocol. If it happens, that's a basis for reprimands. I, for one, have never "played favorites" with clanmates or other clans that I like just because I want to see them succeed. To some extent I actually hold my actual clanmates to higher standards than most outsiders - maybe that's bias, but I know they know the server rules and therefore should be held accountable for breaching them. I also have never seen the other (current) admins refrain from warnings/punishment just because their team belongs to their strat faction.

Also, I'm surprised adoptagoat did not say anything then as there was chatter in both TS and in game.  I suppose he is not always the most active admin, although I do remember him threatening to ban people for wasting lives at the end of the very last battle of Strat 3, which was at his fief, I believe.   But that just goes to show what can happen when rules are selectively enforced.  So bad on Adoptagoat for this one, bad on Shik and Tydeus on the one I mentioned before that was well documented.  This is, of course, in contrast to Canary very quickly warning the defending team to not climb on aerial constructs in the battle his clan was attacking in and then not telling the Chevalier on his side to climb down when he got up there.

A matter of perspective, again - I will often warn people or instruct them to cease their potential rulebreaking using voice chat, as the message gets through quicker and more efficiently. This, of course, leaves the matter more controversial-looking publicly. If an admin is always on the same faction's team, you may never see warnings they issue to that (your enemy's) team, but that doesn't mean they're not also subject to the rule enforcement all the same.

Canary actually did tell him(in TS) to get down, and told the rest of the team not to ladder up there after he realized he was up there.
^
This is what happened, for example.

I still say there is nothing wrong with asking for consistent adminning before it becomes a way to meta game in Strat.  Perhaps, in the future, we could have a rule where admins can't enforce against the enemy team except for the most blatant violations, especially if there are more neutral admins present.  I don't want to see another CyrusHRE episode or maybe even something worse.

I don't believe we're truly seeing inconsistent administration the way you're implying. If we're enforcing the rules inconsistently it has to do more with lack of coverage than with bias and taking sides.

Cyrus was a case where he saw potential rulebreaking, issued legitimate warnings, then apparently ignored the revised actions of the team and began handing out blanket bans regardless, apparently as a measure to punish part of the team for their supposed intent to continue breaking the rules.

I also don't believe we should be ignoring rulebreaking just because it's happening on a team that opposes the admin's. It might be harder to deal with and enforce, but to ignore it would be even more inconsistent.

Basically what I'm saying is that I want more admins or more involved admins.  I want rules enforced, if there are going to be rules, and I want us to be able to avoid selective adminning.  But all if you guys in this thread are trying to debate that this is not a good thing.

The thing people are debating in this thread is mostly the way to enforce one specific rule, the "no siege equipment on flags" rule. Oftentimes if an admin doesn't take action it is because he can not directly witness the supposed infraction: if you're hired in a strat battle you can't easily spectate. Even if you are spectating the whole time, or are on the same team as the offending party, it's not as easy to determine who is doing what as you might think. We won't blame people who aren't directly responsible for breaking rules because that would be irresponsible.

More admins is a good idea; finding viable candidates is not an instantaneous process, however.

But of course the two biggest debaters are from Hero Party and Chaos.  The first, when formed, had a Dev and two admins, the second with a Head admin and another admin.  Oddly enough, those are the two clans I am subtly accusing of selective adminning.  But of course, you guys seem to be enjoying your one sided admin decision.

Chaos actually has six total admins, with three of us being reasonably active. Before several folks left the clan, we had nine total. Hero_Party is currently bereft of admins/devs, just so you know. They haven't had any since sometime before the current issue arose.

I can't speak for Hero_Party, but if a Chaos member is debating how the rules are handled and how we enforce them, it might be because I've made sure they understand the rules, and they have seen and heard firsthand how rulebreaking tends to get handled and enforced.

Alternatively, you can just get rid of the rule.  I mean, this one hasn't been THAT big of a deal yet, but then we're just going to see how far it can be taken.

I think this rule, most agree, exists for a reason. The problem we're having related to it now is largely due to the fact that otherwise-movable siege equipment is bugged and stationary.
edit: although there is a case to be made either way! It is merely one of the community-established rules without precedent or public comment from the devs (aside from its endorsement as what are to abide by for the moment)

This is pretty much the admin stance on this at present. We will try to be more diligent, and discuss the rule publicly so that everyone understands it better, but there's no guarantee that everyone will always be satisfied by our actions (or more likely lack thereof).

Let me sum up the situation: siege equipment placed over flags is against the rules. People sometimes build large-scale siege equipment near flags to the point where they cover them, even accidentally. Siege towers take a very long time to destroy; the axles and wheels of the siege towers apparently can not be destroyed.

But you see, the defenders in said situation were the offending party, and should be responsible for destroying the construct.  They will most likely take a few more losses during the reasonable period of time they have to break it, but that is their punishment for building it in the first place.

You are seriously suggesting the entire defending team be punished for an act capable of being committed by a small group or even an individual, and what's worse is that if it were done maliciously, the rulebreaker would be potentially be entirely successful in hindering his intended victim with that kind of rule enforcement!

pretty sure youd get a pretty epic ban if anyone saw you doing it, which someone prolly would considering how many people are around and how obvious it is when someone has a c-site in their hands and considering (at least on FCC side) only certain people are ever supposed to spawn with c-sites.

Unfortunately not all strat factions are as well organized, it is still a likelihood that it could go unnoticed in many battles.

The attacking team did not break any rules, and should not have to wait.  You see, it is accountability of both the players and the admins I am asking for her.  I am suggesting an escalating series of actions that the admins should take, starting with a general warning and outlining a reasonable amount of time to take corrective action. This series of actions should, however, become abbreviated with repeat offenders.

No, only the team that has miscreants on it should be punished for their mistake of hiring a particular person, do I follow you? Outside of that person being removed from the fight for breaking the rules, losing them a player, punishing the entire team for that is ridiculous - just as ridiculous as you'd agree forcing attackers to stop attacking for some duration of time (considering the battle time limit they're restricted by) would be.

If you "mistakenly" build on flags in five battles in a row, there's no reason you shouldn't be banned for at least some period of time.  And again, it's impossible to prove intent on the confines of the internet, unless they use text chat to blatantly admit they are doing something wrong.

On an individual level, yes, punishment. It's almost impossible to determine fault based on orders or instructions, yes. So, okay, more warnings, make sure everybody understands the rules. More preventive measures, paying more attention, taking a closer look at on-going construction site usage in-game.

No to blanket punishment.

It's not hard to moderate it it all.  When you die in Strat, you can just unclick the ready to spawn box and go look at whatever you want.  Throw some show names cheat on, and you can even assign the people nearest the offending object to destroy it.

Is removing several players from the fight (effectively) using the threat of punishment really better than arbitrarily assigning blame and banning certain members of a team (or even the entire team)? It is  hard to moderate because we actually have to consider the consequences of issuing warnings, commands and threats like that. I don't think there will ever be a universally acceptable decision we can make when considering the current bugs and their effect on this rule.

If attackers are about to capture flags, it's bad when one can't go down. It's also bad when defenders are forced out of the fight to break something an unfortunate teammate of theirs created. Either one creates a lopsided scenario for a strat battle for the sake of fairness by way of the rules. We've all heard what happens when heavy-handed administration directly and entirely determines the outcome of a strat battle, that is not ideal.

It is up to the admins to create a fair environment for everyone with the rules in mind. It isn't as easy as forcing strat teams into action, that's what will create exactly the kind of selective administration you're talking about. The best course of action, in this circumstance, is prevention.

REMINDER: Do not build things that will be on top of your flags!
Learn the size of siege towers and be careful not to put them too close.

Sorry for all the disjointed paragraphs and the monster post multi-quote text cascade.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 07:31:24 am by Canary »

Offline Relit

• Duke
  • Renown: 574
  • Infamy: 109
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Relit
« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2013, 07:26:05 am »
+1
The server admins have two jobs: Enforcement and Punishment. In this situation they can not enforce the rules effectively and without direct witnesses (and screenshots/video) there will be no punishment.

Offline DUKE DICKBUTT

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2013, 07:53:17 am »
+2
Canary's stuff
I've never said blanket punishment, but I don't think its the worse idea to to assign responsibility to one member of the faction who's battle it is.  Just say "Kesh, its your job to kill that ladder now," if no one listens to the general warning put into pink chat.  I mean, if you issue a blanket warning, hopefully people will just double check that no equipment is in violation of the rules.  It takes half a second as you leave your spawn.  Even if there is no piece of offending equipment and you issue a statement, you have issued a valuable reminder, and no one is actually getting punished or banned.  However, I think everyone involved in Strategus should be aware of the rules.  Perhaps a link to the appropriate thread could be added by Harald to the Battles page saying "please read the rules in this thread first, before applying to any Strategus battles."  At that point, there is no excuse for not knowing the rules.  One of the worst parts of the CRPG is the lack of documentation in easy to find places.  You can start playing CRPG, but other than the newly added tips page, there is no easily accessible documentation.  You wouldn't even know to go to the forums to find everything.

In fact, I think you're one of the only ones to issue any pink text during a Strat battle, but you of course can't be there at every battle.  And of course, I don't hear you in voice chat when you're on the other side, so I don't know if you're instructing them to do anything.  A few times, you have thrown up pink text saying "OK, ladder is gone," which is awesome.  Just to make sure this post isn't a one sided strokefest, I'll add a constructive criticism.  For the battles that you do show up to, and you're the only admin, when you do your job it's certainly better than none.  However, you may not even know it, but you could be selectively adminning.  This is mostly because it is easier to see the actions of your own team than the enemies, who is rightfully trying to kill you.  On the flip side, however, it does make it easier to overlook things happening on your own side, since you might just assume your guys should have it under control.  Imagine if you were (again, unknowingly) selectively adminning a long Chaos involved war. Which leads into my next point.

Basically, what I'm calling for is more admin presence during strat battles, especially large ones during primetime.  It seems that when more admins are on, rules get enforced more completely and more fairly.  I think we want the same things.  If two admins are on, I don't think its unreasonable to ask them to apply for opposite sides, and most admins are good enough that both sides should want them.

The server admins have two jobs: Enforcement and Punishment. In this situation they can not enforce the rules effectively and without direct witnesses (and screenshots/video) there will be no punishment.

Yes, I agree with this.  The very first thing I'm asking for is a bigger admin presence.  More admins, and more admins in strat.  During large prime time battles, like this one I'm referencing, most of the player base will be in NA 3.  It's not unreasonable to ask that if there is only one admin on at the time, he should be where most of the NA player base will be.  There are admins who have not ever played Strat, admins who haven't played in weeks and admins who haven't put in 2 hours in the last week.  I want more, newer and more active admins.  There is no reason that one faction should have half of the active admins who will set foot in strat.  And while I think Canary has been doing the best job he has, he can't see both sides and can't be at every battle.  Let's get more admins who are willing to live up to Canary's standards.  Strat can be incredibly fun, but we can make it even more fun when its played the right way.

If there is a good admin on both sides, then the other admins are pretty much free to just play.  They can report things they see.  Why not have "admins on duty", who can introduce themselves at the beginning of the battle to let their presence be known.  Even knowing the admins are there will make players adhere more closely to the rules.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 07:56:40 am by DUKE DICKBUTT »

Offline GOBBLINKINGREATLEADER

• King
  • Renown: 1509
  • Infamy: 515
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Daruvian, GOBBLINKINGGREATLEADER
« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2013, 09:00:12 am »
+2
jesus christ cannery what the fuck is that ass destroyingly huge post

For real, anytime I see your posts or listen to Kesh talk for more than ~20 seconds that is how I feel.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 11:24:30 am by Daruvian »

Offline FRANK_THE_TANK

• King
  • Renown: 1312
  • Infamy: 339
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • FluckCucker
    • View Profile
  • Faction: A Free and proud Peasant of Fisdnar!!!
  • Game nicks: FRANK_THE_TANK
  • IRC nick: Sippy sip
« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2013, 09:14:32 am »
Bring a catapult baby! Problem solved!
Fammi un pompino!

I think I have ball cancer in my right nut :(
Good news everybody! It's not nut cancer :)
Bad news everybody, I got dumped :(

Offline DUKE DICKBUTT

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2013, 09:21:26 am »
+1
Bring a catapult baby! Problem solved!

Except, if you've been reading the thread, they don't work.  All wheels for siege equipment are messed up, and nothing can be removed.  Pulling the block on a catapult just sends it across the map.  Siege towers are immobile.  Anything with wheels will get a random map entity attached to it.  Sometimes its a house, sometimes its a well, sometimes a wall section.  Seems to change randomly, but lasts the duration of the battle.  However, another battle in the same map will have a different entity attach to it, so we believe it is random.