Poll

What changes should be made to the weather system?

Add new weather conditions
Trash everything related to weather
Turn off weather effects but keep the animations (i.e. rain and snow are still there but have no effect)
Change nothing

Author Topic: Remove Rain/Snow  (Read 835 times)

Offline Phantasmal

• Duke
  • Renown: 510
  • Infamy: 46
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Astralis
  • Game nicks: Phantasmal_Astralis, The_Ebon_Hawk
  • IRC nick: Phantasmal
Remove Rain/Snow
« on: April 05, 2013, 06:32:59 pm »
+14
Rain/snow screws:
-agility based characters
-Crossbowmen significantly (25% reduction to damage)
-Archers (10% reduction to damage)

Effects on STR crutching tincans = 0%

The weather effects only succeed in imbalancing an already skewed equilibrium between agility and strength based builds. Also (it may just be me) but rain seems to be occurring more and more often than it was before.

I petition for the removal of weather or the addition of an element of weather that effects STR/armor crutchers as well (possibly intense heat? running around in all that armor must cause one to work up a sweat/become dehydrated quickly. Maybe make an equation that higher armor weight leads to penalties in movement, swing speed and weapon damage? Just tossing around ideas).
Worst admin ever, horrible person, rude in chat, griefs in game, threatens with kicks and bans if you don't praise him in his admin thread, doesn't worship the goat, and worst of all, uses a crossbow, I suggest instant removal of admin rights and crucifixion.

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
Re: Remove Rain/Snow
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 06:42:23 pm »
+5
I don't know about removing rain/snow, but certainly to balance the game there should be a weather effect to the detriment of every class/build if there is a detriment to a single class/build.
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Dexxtaa

• King
  • Renown: 1268
  • Infamy: 200
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Remnant_Dexxtaa
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 06:47:42 pm »
It totally nerfs me.

I can't ride as fast on my APC.

Offline bruce

• Count
  • Renown: 262
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: the Freak Army of the Gnjus / Saracens
  • Game nicks: Saracen_el_Brus
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 11:16:13 pm »
It'd be fine if it was 1/10th of the time, not 1/2 of the time (exaggeration, but a third is not too far off).
Best ban reason ever:
Quote from: Wookimonsta
I checked, the only Vagabond I found was Wolves_Vagabond_TheCruel, that guy is now unbanned. Ban reason was: "calling Zotte a cockswoggler".

Offline Nightingale

• Balancer
  • Renown: 925
  • Infamy: 205
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Elderly Woman
  • IRC nick: Nightingale
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2013, 09:13:44 am »
+2
I know rain completely trashes crossbowmen into the dirt - given it really did, but like so many of these threads have shown before "We do not balance the game on realism." rather than nerf anything why not just remove the penalties from rain/snow (if possible). I think the last thread like this got answered with "Hard coded can't change." would really like to see something changed about the penalties to everyone from rain. I like the diversity rain and weather gives us and adds to game play options, but  as is I don't even see a reason to play when its raining on the server (which is at the very least 30-40% of the time.)

Rain/snow screws:

That isn't 100% true... they are effected by the same percent that agility based characters are faced with *given since you are taking a percent out of an extremely low number that effect isn't very high or noticeable.*

The weather effects only succeed in imbalancing an already skewed equilibrium between agility and strength based builds. Also (it may just be me) but rain seems to be occurring more and more often than it was before.

That is so true, there are already way more pros than cons of choosing strength over agility.( no one ever mentions rain as a Pro to strength builds)

I petition for the removal of weather

No, we need weather it adds diversity.

(click to show/hide)

Think more along the lines of solutions that do not call for nerfs on other classes.

Offline Kampfkarotte

• Knight
  • Renown: 56
  • Infamy: 26
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: GK, Kapikulu
  • Game nicks: WARLORD, Kegorus
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2013, 11:53:22 pm »
Rain and snow are a nice variety in my opinion, and it nerfs everyone although xbow and archers more than others.. And im sure it rains much less than every second map  :wink:

Offline Malaclypse

• King
  • Renown: 1299
  • Infamy: 146
  • In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2013, 12:44:13 am »
+9
Could just make it so they're only aesthetic effects without tangible impact on gameplay.
You think you're pretty smart with your dago mustache and your greasy hair.

Offline Bronto

• Head NA admin
  • King
  • Renown: 1339
  • Infamy: 268
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2013, 02:52:46 am »
I love when people complain about xbows. They already take 0 stats other than wpf (even that's debatable) to use.

Offline bruce

• Count
  • Renown: 262
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: the Freak Army of the Gnjus / Saracens
  • Game nicks: Saracen_el_Brus
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2013, 04:53:25 pm »
I love when people complain about xbows. They already take 0 stats other than wpf (even that's debatable) to use.

Aside from locking you out from polearms / 90% twohanders? Interesting how that is not a sacrifice or anything.
Best ban reason ever:
Quote from: Wookimonsta
I checked, the only Vagabond I found was Wolves_Vagabond_TheCruel, that guy is now unbanned. Ban reason was: "calling Zotte a cockswoggler".

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2013, 01:41:25 am »
Aside from locking you out from polearms / 90% twohanders? Interesting how that is not a sacrifice or anything.
Except they didn't, back when they were 1 slot. Now you can only take the hunting crossbow together with most 2h/poles.

Personally I would have done it the other way and made many poles/2hs 3 slot (and some 1h 2 slots), but making most crossbows 2 slots is also one way to do it.
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline Phantasmal

• Duke
  • Renown: 510
  • Infamy: 46
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Astralis
  • Game nicks: Phantasmal_Astralis, The_Ebon_Hawk
  • IRC nick: Phantasmal
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2013, 05:52:21 pm »
It seems that people misinterpreted what I meant about my suggested weather conditions. It would have no effect on the base stats of any classes and would only influence one to pick lighter armor for a map. No one is forcing them to and the penalties if heavy armor is worn do not have to be gamebreaking.
Worst admin ever, horrible person, rude in chat, griefs in game, threatens with kicks and bans if you don't praise him in his admin thread, doesn't worship the goat, and worst of all, uses a crossbow, I suggest instant removal of admin rights and crucifixion.

Offline Sandersson Jankins

• King
  • Renown: 1450
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CSA Apologists
  • Game nicks: fnord
  • IRC nick: "There's always a bigger nerd"- Qui-Gong Jim, Star Trek IV: Electric Boogalo
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2013, 07:33:54 pm »
+2
Rain/snow screws:

I petition for the removal of weather or the addition of an element of weather that effects STR/armor crutchers as well (possibly intense heat? running around in all that armor must cause one to work up a sweat/become dehydrated quickly. Maybe make an equation that higher armor weight leads to penalties in movement, swing speed and weapon damage? Just tossing around ideas).

I have little opinion on removing rain/snow (Did 4 gens of arbalest and honestly I didn't feel too gimped. I understand when you "main" a class it's going to seem like a real shitty thing, though). However, the addition of sweltering heat is right-on. I know that balance and additions can not be based upon realism, but gat damn all that armour did get hot back in the day. Real big problem in the Crusades, I bet the jolly old Saracens were like "lol look at these fucknuts in their tincans". Make the ratio of rain/snow and sweltering heat perfectly equal, and I think we've got a good solution.

Of course, a heat effect on a snowy map would be damn silly. Hopefully there's a relatively even distribution of desert and snowy maps.

the administrator of this forum is the Internet Keyboard man? Can only play "authority" in the virtual world?Can you tell me why?

Offline DUKE DICKBUTT

• Baron
  • Renown: 138
  • Infamy: 119
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2013, 02:15:15 pm »
Don't forget that horses are way slower in the rain.  You can think of them as a buff to ranged, as they are now valor pinatas .

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420