Author Topic: Stuff I Learned  (Read 4417 times)

Offline Taser

• King
  • Renown: 1447
  • Infamy: 82
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook
    • View Profile
  • Faction: TKoV
  • Game nicks: Alfred_Taser_of_TKoV
Re: Stuff I Learned
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2013, 12:36:28 am »
Very nice info!

BTW I felt the lack of Patrick in any of your post in this thread was......disturbing.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I do agree with you dex. That ~ key is so damn useful too. I use it constantly.

Offline Pentecost

• Earl
  • Renown: 313
  • Infamy: 32
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2013, 01:10:10 am »
Couple of questions:

1) How do you deal with people who have shields as a 2H? Seems like they can just block your first hit and then your range advantage is lost right away. Then they just spam their faster attacks and either you block forever or you go for a hit and die.

2)How the hell do you kill cavalry? If I stand directly in front of them and try to thrust, I get run over. If I stand to the side and side swing, I hit their horse, but they usually kill me with the one swing.

Regarding your first question, the answer is proper movement (most people call it footwork). If you can find someone who is willing to give you some training on the duel server, ask him to show you how to turn into your swings and to help you point out errors in your movement and/or facing. Learning how to integrate movement into your offense and defense is as important as competent blocking when it comes to being successful at melee: it makes your attacks land faster, gives you more opportunities to attack, gives you more time to block, and is the only way to adequately defend against crushthrough weapons.

Once you get the hang of footwork, the fact that you will in most cases be much more nimble than the person with the shield (due to how heavy the shield is) combined with how your weapon is longer, usually faster, and has much better attack animations means that you can potentially be getting two attacks to the shielder's 1 attack if you are playing correctly. Unless he is good, you will have the initiative the whole time and force him to play very defensively.

Regarding your second question, it depends on the 2h you are using. A greatsword is actually one of the best weapons you can have against cavalry, due to the fact that it has incredible range on the thrust and will almost always hit the horse of the cavalryman before his heavy lance hits you if you aim for his horse's head. Basically, you want to thrust towards the horse's head while rotating/strafing/jumping out of the way of his counterattack.

If you do not have a greatsword, then you want to stand still right until he's in attack range and then strafe right or left while swinging at his horse's legs. Speed bonus works both ways, and even the most heavily armored horses are counted as having 0 armor on their legs. This means that 1 good hit to the legs with a 2h will kill the majority of horses in 1 shot if the rider was coming at you full tilt.

Offline Phantasmal

• Duke
  • Renown: 510
  • Infamy: 46
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Astralis
  • Game nicks: Phantasmal_Astralis, The_Ebon_Hawk
  • IRC nick: Phantasmal
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2013, 01:43:09 am »
If you do not have a greatsword, then you want to stand still right until he's in attack range and then strafe right or left while swinging at his horse's legs. Speed bonus works both ways, and even the most heavily armored horses are counted as having 0 armor on their legs. This means that 1 good hit to the legs with a 2h will kill the majority of horses in 1 shot if the rider was coming at you full tilt.

This is good if you have a high PS build. If you have a low PS build and shorter weapon (like me) I recommend aiming for the rider's legs. To hit the rider (before they hit you) move to a side early and start your sideswing a half second before they are in range. Your swing is still active and they will ride into it (dealing much more damage) and you will get the hit as they ride by.

Against lance cav, just move away from their horse and downblock. gg.

EDIT: Sorry, I misread your post and thought you were a shielder with a 1H. My apologies, this is only really relevant for 1Hers.
Worst admin ever, horrible person, rude in chat, griefs in game, threatens with kicks and bans if you don't praise him in his admin thread, doesn't worship the goat, and worst of all, uses a crossbow, I suggest instant removal of admin rights and crucifixion.

Offline Bronto

• Head NA admin
  • King
  • Renown: 1339
  • Infamy: 268
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2013, 02:28:55 am »
Couple of questions:

1) How do you deal with people who have shields as a 2H? Seems like they can just block your first hit and then your range advantage is lost right away. Then they just spam their faster attacks and either you block forever or you go for a hit and die.

2)How the hell do you kill cavalry? If I stand directly in front of them and try to thrust, I get run over. If I stand to the side and side swing, I hit their horse, but they usually kill me with the one swing.

1) you can always spam and don't let them attack, just keep swinging. if they're good you're going to have to block or wait for them to try to hug you and kick.

2) time your stabs better or jump left swing right. if you're air born you're going to hit the rider not the horse.

EDIT: Also, dexxtaa, great point pointing out the flow/waves of battle. I always used to dread half way through the battle when all of a sudden Serge and his yellow tunic over mail, along with the chaos posse, would appear and he'd still be at full health cause he was SO SLOW. then he'd decimate the team because full health str build against and bunch of people who have been fighting for 2+ minutes and have all taken at least some damage. good times though good times. Where is Serge anyway? I haven't seen him in a loooooonnngggg tttiiiimmmeee.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 02:42:19 am by Brontosauce »

Offline dynamike

• King
  • Renown: 1212
  • Infamy: 187
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Let's be friends again?
    • View Profile
    • The Remnants Clan Website
  • Faction: Stratia
  • Game nicks: Remnant_dynamike
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2013, 04:10:50 am »
+2
When I saw Rhaelys post, I thought it was going to be "NBOH"
#gottem

DAMNIT, you beat me to it Dexx. I was going to say non of your tips seem to stem from the NBOH rule book  :(

But very valid and good tips nonetheless. I also agree with Equal on his Cav assessments... and have one to add:

There is no friendly cav!

When fighting as cav I find my biggest enemy or obstacle to actually be friendly cav players. I can't count the amount of times when cav players that were trying to hunt down the same enemy as me got into my way (and I'm sure the other way around too) and reared my horse or lanced me instead of the enemy. This usually leads to insta death and me cursing out the "bad cavs" in TS.

Always stay clear of friendly cav, unless you are riding with an experienced player who is used to team up with you.
For while the fire in the heart of a single Remnant still burns... can Stratia truly have fallen?

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • Renown: 2174
  • Infamy: 227
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WITCHCRAFT, A_Hot_Elf_Princess, Yurnero_of_the_High_Plains, and secret alts
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2013, 08:57:40 am »
+2
Iron flesh is not to help you survive from enemy attacks but from your own team

Can we change the website tool tip to this when you highlight ironflesh?

irl something shorted on the shuttle and laika overheated and died within a few hours of liftoff and for a brief while one could look up to the stars and see a light shooting across the sky that was actually a warm dog corpse slingshoting about the earth at thousands of miles per hour which was arguably humanity's greatest achievement so far