Author Topic: I had a dream..... themed battle  (Read 755 times)

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
I had a dream..... themed battle
« on: March 28, 2013, 02:28:34 pm »
+7
Im a big proponent of "PROVIDE STATS PER DEFAULT" + STF enabled for strategus, would make what I'm going to say completely doable without having to "announce" it on the forum.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

(SO HARD TO DO???)

What I find boring, to some point, in strat battles, is the fact that the average of "builds" participating in them is (half of the time) quite static:

About 10% cav, 10% dedicated ranged, the 80% left approx divided in 3 by pole/1H/2H (a thing to learn for those who form the gear for armies)

Sometimes you get your occasionnal : OMFG they have superior number of cavalry, or OMFG they have superior number of ranged or whatever, but this isnt the norm (and when that happens, you're quite mad because you know there wont be enough horses/bow/special weapons n°4 for them...).

When real life armies were formed, they werent formed so that they would outfit any randomers that would come and say : hey, I like that weapon and the look of that helmet is astounding, I will take those, great thanks milord!

In reality, it would have been like this:

Men would be recruited and trained in one (or multiple) way of war, and they would be sent with such and such forces to form an army that would have strength and weakness, not all the time good all-around cavalry/archery/infantry/siege weaponry.

So.... with that in mind, how about we "organize" such battles and force it down the throat of the players, in a non-committal way ?

Official Organisation!

Someone launch an invitation with the following form:

Size : XXX versus XXX
Type of units : X% of Y, X% of Z (or 100% of this or that)
Battle rules : roster limit for attackers/defenders (dont recruit past X players, to balance the battle more artificially), or no roster limit, make attacks per wave (when you respawn wait for next wave and dont attack), or classic capture the flag battle, only chars with "provide stats" ticked could be accepted (no trolls 1 WPF or pubber that would RQ), or everyone can be accepted; other battle rules that could be planned beforehand...
Special rules : no such weapons; battle in such locations (plains, forest, hills, mountains); I offer X if you win, and you give me Y if I win (bet system?); at the beginning of the fight, both sides send their "best man" to duel; any ideas that you want and that the other have to agree on, really anything worth the investment and the fun!

Comments : anything worthwhile to say?

To ease the maddening skull-throbbing of the people, the actual commanders going for the fight would QUIT THEIR REAL FACTION and create a FAKE ONE that would describe what this army is COMPOSED OF.

Example:

commander Imperiale_Lu_Butan, quitted faction and created his own named ONLY CAVALRY
commander Merc_Haboe, quitted faction and created his own named ONLY PIKEMEN

They go at each other and people would see this:

Planning the day of the fight, and doing a proper "publicity" around the small event + this "created faction for the event" small tool would suffice to eliminate 90% of the problem of not having the gameplay tools to create such an event.
Then the only thing that will possible undo those themed battle, is the:

mentality that has befallen half of EU Strategus.

But I wouldnt have posted that thread if I had no hope someone, somewhere, will take my invitation and find joy into the spilling of blood and stop the "good battles and xp for all, yah?" hypocrisy because most of the time, battles are done when you're 99% sure you will win and gain uber benefit from it (from the strategus leaders POV).

If noone finds any fault in my reasoning, or have a good idea about how to improve it, the organization will stay as it is, so how about we pass directly to the "proposition" part ?

Offline Butan

• King
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
Re: I had a dream..... themed battle
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 02:30:43 pm »
+1
1ST STRATEGUS THEMED BATTLE INVITATION : 100% CAVALRY FIGHT

Size : 500 versus 500 (Isupply one of the 500 army)
Type of units : 100% Cavalry (ranged cavalry AND melee cavalry)
Battle rules : no roster limit (need to even out in case of roster problem), classic capture the flag, only chars with "provide stats" ticked will be accepted (need riding ABSOLUTELY)
Special rules : all weapons/armors/horses allowed; battle in plain; the winner take the loot and can go away peacefully.

Comments : need an experienced cavalry leader and you can use my teamspeak.

The opposing side just have to officially agree on those conditions on the forum and discuss with me privately to organize the armies accordingly and meet in a secret location.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 04:24:07 pm by Butan »

Offline Knute

• Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 682
  • Infamy: 21
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Free Peasants of Fisdnar
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 07:42:09 pm »
+1
1ST STRATEGUS THEMED BATTLE INVITATION : 100% CAVALRY FIGHT

That's a great idea, I wish things like this would happen more often.

commander Imperiale_Lu_Butan, quitted faction and created his own named ONLY CAVALRY
commander Merc_Haboe, quitted faction and created his own named ONLY PIKEMEN

We did a theme battle like that last round and it was really fun, here's pics:

(click to show/hide)

Offline Abay

• Count
  • Renown: 267
  • Infamy: 183
  • cRPG Player
  • Steam: badbreaking
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kapikulu
  • Game nicks: Kapikulu_Abay
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 07:46:00 pm »
I wouldnt like to share my stats actually, so I must click minus for this  :lol:
[17:48] <Vovka> thx chadz

Offline Tanken

• King
  • Renown: 1463
  • Infamy: 395
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
  • Game nicks: Tanken
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2013, 03:30:35 pm »
Yeah, KUTT was involved in a lot of Theme Battles last strat. I think 4 or 5. One with Free Peasants (which was amazing) and the others were with Templars. We did Mongols vs. Templars many times with them.
Below is a Collection of Finalists in my Design my Avatar contest -- They all did Awesome!
Thanks to all of those who contributed.

Offline BASNAK

• King
  • Renown: 1349
  • Infamy: 170
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: MolonLave_Garlic
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2013, 12:15:15 pm »
Yeah, KUTT was involved in a lot of Theme Battles last strat. I think 4 or 5. One with Free Peasants (which was amazing) and the others were with Templars. We did Mongols vs. Templars many times with them.

I remember one time I fought for the Templars vs KUTT in strat 3. Was supposed to be a Mongol vs Templar themed battle. Yet you guys weren't roleplaying as mongols :S

Offline Torben

• King
  • Renown: 2011
  • Infamy: 352
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • still prepare to get sexed
    • View Profile
  • Faction: by my overly nerfed heavy lance.
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2013, 01:02:12 pm »
+1
oh goddamit i wanted to do just that,  raised an army of 1000 heavy cavalry.  and i just sold it yesterday because the jewce in me is strong.  AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGG!!!
Yes, I know from whence I came! Discontented as a flame, Upon myself I live and glow. All I grasp like lightning flashes, All I leave behind is ashes
Flame I am - that much I know!

Offline Butan

• King
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2013, 01:57:11 pm »
oh goddamit i wanted to do just that,  raised an army of 1000 heavy cavalry.  and i just sold it yesterday because the jewce in me is strong.  AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGG!!!

Too bad  :P

Offline SoA_Sir_ODHarry

• Baron
  • Renown: 134
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: ODharry
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2013, 02:18:30 pm »
nooo and i wanted too answer ur pm today Torben   :(

next time u up for it i will sponsor an army!
Crob: i'm in duel tryin to not be shit
Crob: now i'm running round eu2 with a dagger

JOIN The Horde NAO
       http://steamcommunity.com/groups/F-POC

Offline Torben

• King
  • Renown: 2011
  • Infamy: 352
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • still prepare to get sexed
    • View Profile
  • Faction: by my overly nerfed heavy lance.
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2013, 03:19:43 pm »
nooo and i wanted too answer ur pm today Torben   :(

next time u up for it i will sponsor an army!

(click to show/hide)

maybe do what i suggested with butan?  his silk road is a first step in liberating strat,  so he might be up to devote his themed battle to your cause...
Yes, I know from whence I came! Discontented as a flame, Upon myself I live and glow. All I grasp like lightning flashes, All I leave behind is ashes
Flame I am - that much I know!