Author Topic: the New tyranny of NA :evil:  (Read 11963 times)

Offline betard_lulz

• Count
  • Renown: 179
  • Infamy: 167
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: the New tyranny of NA :evil:
« Reply #165 on: March 28, 2013, 06:26:25 am »
lol partyboy is a powertripping my old friendgoat

Offline EyeBeat

• Earl
  • Renown: 432
  • Infamy: 175
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 20th BEST PLAYER IN HOSPITALLER
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hospitaller
  • Game nicks: EyeBeat_The_Wanderer
  • IRC nick: EyeBeat
« Reply #166 on: March 28, 2013, 06:46:53 am »
+2
LOL partyboy had admin?

WOW!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Being a smallish community doesn't entitle you to act more like a dick than other communities.

Offline betard_lulz

• Count
  • Renown: 179
  • Infamy: 167
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: March 28, 2013, 06:49:08 am »
LOL partyboy had admin?

WOW!
yes he did and based off that quote that smooth had he definitely is a powertripper
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 06:54:45 am by betard_lulz »

Offline Havelle

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 364
  • Infamy: 37
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Frisitan
« Reply #168 on: March 28, 2013, 06:55:09 am »
I'm gay and washing my hands of this topic.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 07:33:33 am by Havelle »

Offline Penguin

• Duke
  • Renown: 670
  • Infamy: 121
  • cRPG Player
  • JesusChrist
    • View Profile
  • Faction: [A]rrows Incoming!
  • Game nicks: [Y]Retreat!
« Reply #169 on: March 28, 2013, 07:14:22 am »
White American men really have it tough! The mainstream media won't cover that though. It's a wonder how even a few white men can be successful under this oppressive cloud of discrimination. There hasn't even been a white president in over 5 years! Where is the representation? Where is the justice?
"As you gaze upon the cross, and long for conformity to him, be not weary or fearful because you cannot express in words what you seek. Ask him to plant the cross in your heart. Believe in him, the crucified and now living one, to dwell within you, and breathe his own mind there."

Offline GOBBLINKINGREATLEADER

• King
  • Renown: 1509
  • Infamy: 515
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Daruvian, GOBBLINKINGGREATLEADER
« Reply #170 on: March 28, 2013, 07:48:25 am »
+6
Before anyone calls me out on nerding for the following let me preface this with the fact that I am currently making $12.50 an hour while writing this. I am without anything to do and am immensely bored waiting to clock out in 40 minutes. If this were not the case I would not be lowering myself to the level of posting in this got-dang awful thread.

Dear Partyboy,

I always think it is the most sickeningly ingratiating way of treating a person to presume that you need to censor the content they see so as to remove the possibility of them being offended by a word. It is insulting, demeaning, overwhelmingly controlling, and implicitly hubristic.

First of all, censorship is not ideal because it implies that the words that are censored have some basis in fact or truth. Their being censored provides them with credence; if they were false or unfounded then they would not need to be censored. There is the possibility that words may be occluded because they were just pointless filler words... but if that were the case, why would someone go to the bother of administrative action just to resolve someone using filler words?

Second, it implies that you have some type of moral or ethical responsibility to determine what is appropriate for others to see. You are denying others the ability to defend themselves from words, implying that the "victims" of insulting words are not capable of protecting themselves. You are asserting yourself as morally/ethically superior in deciding whether someone is offended or not, and controlling their response. That is not your job. That is pure hubris is what that is.

You are not responsible for other people's feelings. You need to understand that censorship is demeaning to the individual. If you remove a person's ability to hear language that they would be offended by then you are removing that person's ability to come to terms with those words. The way that victims truly gain power over words is by coming to terms with what offends them on a personal basis and deciding that these words are either correct and that they as an individual need to change to ameliorate their cognitive dissonance or that these words are incorrect and unfounded and ergo they have no reason to be offended. Not by being told by "superiors" that these words are "bad" and mustn't be said for any reason. That's just disrespectful.

Love,

A Huge Gay Jew my old friend

P.S. Peep my signature image.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 10:40:04 am by Daruvian »

Offline Soldier_of_God

• Count
  • Renown: 159
  • Infamy: 79
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Sir_Tristan, Archerfaggotry, Sir_Edward
« Reply #171 on: March 28, 2013, 07:54:40 am »
+2
So, this is still going on... and really off track. if anyone would like to read my previous post, its more humorous and expansive, otherwise, see the more concise statement below so that the heart of the matter can be settled: where should admins draw the line in the sand?

(click to show/hide)

Admins are not baby sitters, and they are not sunday school teachers. ethics should not come into play with their decisions.
there are certain things which intersect with ethical hot zones, like racism, sexism, harassment, and unwanted sexual advances.

the key here is CONTEXT. below are some examples of absolutely inappropriate social context, and ambiguous social interaction.

Racism:
(click to show/hide)

sexist/orientation related
(click to show/hide)

harrasment
(click to show/hide)

and i'll save the sexual advances since that REALLY doesnt happen much...

as you can see, there are right ways and iffy ways to say words. one is absolutely unacceptable social behavior, the other is risky, blunt conversation.
now obviously not everyone will agree what is offensive or not, and someone will be offended occasionally, but generally speaking noone cares, noone is crying in the bathroom after a game of C-rpg.

Specifically, it is the job of admins to maintain a mostly peaceful operative state to the server, and to rectify caustic or inflammatory situations, as well as enforce fair play.

case in point:

i will call all HA's my old friends if they delay the round and lose my multi by their gay behavior,
i will insult level 10 weaboos with board shields and strait swords that get me killed or team hit me.
i will damn the 10 to 1 hero that keeps raping me in battle
i will call people idiots, morons, and jackasses at my discretion for stupid, thoughtless, or asinine behavior
and with people i personally know or people that i have a good relation with, i might make the rare risky joke to their amusement, although i personally would keep in it TS only so noone misconstrued my jest as racist trash talk.

and if any admin here feels that that is crossing the line, i think that it would be wise to evaluate the nature of the internet and of culture.

despite what anyone thinks or feels about it, i personally will continue to express my thoughts and feelings in a manner with discernment, and if i offend anyone i feel it is the right of an admin to tell me to cease and desist the behavior to which i will happily adjust the behavior. i have only been warned a handful of times for risky comments, less than 5 for sure, in my 3 ish years of playing CRPG.

In closing, I think it is offensive for an admin to have the gumption to act as a moral watch dog for everyone on the server because they have a pet peeve and become judge, jury and executioner for behavior that to 99% of the world noone could care less about. i think an admin should only do something if it is reported or becoming inflammatory.

therefore... either act intelligently about it and take words on a case to case basis, or tell people they cant harrass or belittle eachother, make dirty jokes, say expletives of any kind, and absolutely be sure to say nothing more than what needs to be said to communicate.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 07:58:16 am by Soldier_of_God »

Offline racecar

• Peasant
  • Renown: 4
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: March 28, 2013, 09:18:00 am »
+1
This thread is hilarious. Maybe I should check these forums more often.

EDIT: By the way, what do you guys have against Christians?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 09:26:02 am by racecar »

Offline MURDERTRON

• King
  • Renown: 1337
  • Infamy: 428
    • View Profile
  • Faction: TRUMP / WEST 2020
« Reply #173 on: March 28, 2013, 09:40:58 am »
At least Partyboy was enforcing rules without bias.  Anyone who said my old friend___ got kicked, muted, warned or banned.  Doesn't matter who his friends are, what teamspeak he was in or his strat affiliations.  In my mind, that was a step in the right direction.  He also followed up on everything he said he would do.  He escalated punishments, like he promised to do.  Good admins stick to their guns and don't take exceptions for their friends.
▀█▀▒█▀█▒█▒█▒█▒▒▒█▒█▀█▒▒█▀█▒█▀█▒█▀█▒█▀█▒█
▒█▒▒█▄█▒█▒█▒██▒██▒█▄█▒▒▄▄█▒█▒█▒▄▄█▒█▒█▒█
▒█▒▒█▀▄▒█▄█▒█▒█▒█▒█▒▒▒▒█▄▄▒█▄█▒█▄▄▒█▄█▒▄

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: March 28, 2013, 11:02:01 am »

Offline Aiyasha

• Knight
  • Renown: 67
  • Infamy: 25
  • cRPG Player
  • Free Spook
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Groovy Ghoulies
  • Game nicks: Aiyasha
« Reply #175 on: March 28, 2013, 01:41:56 pm »
+3
Privilege: the thread

Probably the best part of this thread for me.

Offline EyeBeat

• Earl
  • Renown: 432
  • Infamy: 175
  • 20th BEST PLAYER IN HOSPITALLER
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hospitaller
  • Game nicks: EyeBeat_The_Wanderer
  • IRC nick: EyeBeat
« Reply #176 on: March 28, 2013, 01:48:48 pm »
Good admins stick to their guns and don't take exceptions for their friends.

Bbbut but but I have no friends  :cry:

Being a smallish community doesn't entitle you to act more like a dick than other communities.

Offline Kaoklai

• Tournament Champion
  • Earl
  • Renown: 400
  • Infamy: 285
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Free Huey
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: June 05, 2013, 11:34:35 pm »
Whoa, a racecar post.  Do you still play?  I miss you and Saul tagteaming that small battle server.  Those were some of my favorite times in cRPG. 

Offline Dooz

• Duke
  • Renown: 674
  • Infamy: 165
  • Horrible_Human
    • View Profile
    • Wasteland Fight Club
« Reply #178 on: June 06, 2013, 12:48:44 am »
my old friend

Offline Duster

• Marshall
  • Renown: 730
  • Infamy: 89
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Mr_Pibb, Mellow_Yellowtf
« Reply #179 on: June 06, 2013, 01:03:36 am »
+3
At least Partyboy was enforcing rules without bias.  Anyone who said my old friend___ got kicked, muted, warned or banned.  Doesn't matter who his friends are, what teamspeak he was in or his strat affiliations.  In my mind, that was a step in the right direction.  He also followed up on everything he said he would do.  He escalated punishments, like he promised to do.  Good admins stick to their guns and don't take exceptions for their friends.

Good admins realize when they're wrong and change, bad admins stick to their guns well past wrong.